Clear All
  • jbenchley
    • Jan 2010

Victor Martinez to the Tigers!!

ESPN is reporting
  • riverfrontier
    cracker/jacker
    • Feb 2006

When I read the headline, I actually did a fist pump and let out a muffled "Yessssss!", and nobody else was in the house. We have another stellar Venezuelan to orbit the true MVP of the American League, and we also have a 300%+ quality improvement at catcher.
    smoker

Comment

• Richard
      • Aug 2007

As a Marlins fan, I wish we had an owner like yours.

Comment

• Therwil Flyer
        #firedavedombrowski
        • Oct 2010

As a Red Sox fan, I'd be interested to know whether the majorty of tigers fans are really excited about paying 12.5 million a year to an excellent backup catcher but below average DH? Vmart is a great player and from all I can tell a well liked team mate that will be missed in Boston, but 12.5M over 4 years seems like a lot.
        Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

• Captain Cold Nose
          OSHA-certified Moderator
          • Jan 2000

Originally posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
          As a Red Sox fan, I'd be interested to know whether the majorty of tigers fans are really excited about paying 12.5 million a year to an excellent backup catcher but below average DH? Vmart is a great player and from all I can tell a well liked team mate that will be missed in Boston, but 12.5M over 4 years seems like a lot.
          That is only a little more than what other teams were offering. I'm not thrilled with the price but it's an upgrade at the position, even if he'll only be platooning. He may be a backup catcher for Boston, but he's better than what the Tigers have had since the first couple years of Pudge Rodriguez. Catcher was the most glaring need the team had.
          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• DClutch
            • Apr 2009

First off, I think the whole "below average DH" thing is crap. Who cares what other players at the position are doing? What is this player going to do for this team is the real question.

The Tigers have had a horrible offense for the last 2 seasons. We would have won the division easily in 09 but we couldn't score. Last year, we had as many as 5 rookies in the lineup. It was horrible to watch.

If you watched their lineup the last 2 years, you would know that 12 million for a guy hitting .300 from both sides of the plate with power is a bargain.

Who cares about other players at the position. How does that effect the Tigers and the position they are in?

A switch hitter, a career .300 hitter, 20 HR power, excellent leadership, great presence, what more are you going to get for 12 million?

An embarrassing weak offensive team just replaced Gerald Laird and his .204 average with a career .300 hitter. That .300 hitter also can get at bats at catcher, 1st, and DH. He's a proven winner, proven hitter. Nothing wrong the money he got.

Comment

• Therwil Flyer
              #firedavedombrowski
              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
              That is only a little more than what other teams were offering. I'm not thrilled with the price but it's an upgrade at the position, even if he'll only be platooning. He may be a backup catcher for Boston, but he's better than what the Tigers have had since the first couple years of Pudge Rodriguez. Catcher was the most glaring need the team had.
              But didn't the Tigers announce that they were going with Avila as their primary catcher and Victor their primary DH?
              Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

• Therwil Flyer
                #firedavedombrowski
                • Oct 2010

Originally posted by DClutch View Post
                First off, I think the whole "below average DH" thing is crap. Who cares what other players at the position are doing? What is this player going to do for this team is the real question.

The Tigers have had a horrible offense for the last 2 seasons. We would have won the division easily in 09 but we couldn't score. Last year, we had as many as 5 rookies in the lineup. It was horrible to watch.

If you watched their lineup the last 2 years, you would know that 12 million for a guy hitting .300 from both sides of the plate with power is a bargain.

Who cares about other players at the position. How does that effect the Tigers and the position they are in?

A switch hitter, a career .300 hitter, 20 HR power, excellent leadership, great presence, what more are you going to get for 12 million?

An embarrassing weak offensive team just replaced Gerald Laird and his .204 average with a career .300 hitter. That .300 hitter also can get at bats at catcher, 1st, and DH. He's a proven winner, proven hitter. Nothing wrong the money he got.
                Don't get me wrong, I'm not implying Martinez isn't a great player and a quality guy, nor do I meant to imply that it was necessarily a bad signing for the Tigers. I was just a little surprised that they were willing to go that high on someone who is their primary DH and wondering how Tigers fans felt about it.

Comment

• Captain Cold Nose
                  OSHA-certified Moderator
                  • Jan 2000

But didn't the Tigers announce that they were going with Avila as their primary catcher and Victor their primary DH?
                  I'll have to recheck what I've read.
                  I like Martinez. But not as a full-time DH.
                  Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• tigers527
                    90% mental 1/2 Physical
                    • Apr 2006

After the Werth signing do you still feel 12.5 is a lot?

Comment

• Therwil Flyer
                      #firedavedombrowski
                      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by tigers527 View Post
                      After the Werth signing do you still feel 12.5 is a lot?
                      No, I feel like I'm massively underpaid ;-) But seriously, I don't think one ridicoulous contract by a GM on drugs should be the benchmark to which you compare every contract. Hell, in comparison to Werth even the 2007 Garry Matthews contract looks like a bargain! Over in the Red Sox forum I agrued that I'd sign Vmart for 3/36 or 4/44 and that was assuming he would be the primary catcher for the next two years and the DH afterwards. So I was a bit surprised that the tigers signed him to 4/50 and then announced that Avila would be their starting catcher. Basically I'm wondering if I underestimate Martinez or if the Tigers overpayed a little to get the player they really wanted. But, as far as I am concerned, I'm happy for Victor, he's a good guy and it's not my money. I wish him the Best, especially when the tigers are playing the NYY ;-)

Comment

• Captain Cold Nose
                        OSHA-certified Moderator
                        • Jan 2000

No, I feel like I'm massively underpaid ;-) But seriously, I don't think one ridicoulous contract by a GM on drugs should be the benchmark to which you compare every contract. Hell, in comparison to Werth even the 2007 Garry Matthews contract looks like a bargain! Over in the Red Sox forum I agrued that I'd sign Vmart for 3/36 or 4/44 and that was assuming he would be the primary catcher for the next two years and the DH afterwards. So I was a bit surprised that the tigers signed him to 4/50 and then announced that Avila would be their starting catcher. Basically I'm wondering if I underestimate Martinez or if the Tigers overpayed a little to get the player they really wanted. But, as far as I am concerned, I'm happy for Victor, he's a good guy and it's not my money. I wish him the Best, especially when the tigers are playing the NYY ;-)
                        I am thinking the latter moreso than the former.
                        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• moldyoldie
                          • Dec 2005

If Martinez can be the DH that Rusty Staub was for the Tigers, the money will be well worth it. Personally, I liked what I saw of young Avila behind the plate, and if he bats seventh or eighth, I wouldn't mind seeing him catch the majority of games. If we get Maggs back on board for another year with a team option for a second, we're all set.

As one who knows the lingering long-term aftereffects of a broken ankle (mainly back), I'd be very hesitant to sign Maggs for more than a year. Witness to wit: Scott Sizemore last season.
                          Last edited by moldyoldie; 12-09-2010, 05:07 AM.

Comment

• tigers527
                            90% mental 1/2 Physical
                            • Apr 2006

Over in the Red Sox forum I agrued that I'd sign Vmart for 3/36 or 4/44 and that was assuming he would be the primary catcher for the next two years and the DH afterwards. So I was a bit surprised that the tigers signed him to 4/50 and then announced that Avila would be their starting catcher.
                            Not to get all Math with you, but you realize besides time, the difference between 3/36 and 4/50 is only 500K. And even if he is only the back up catcher, and most time DH that is still huge, as there will only be one other catcher in MLB that will get any significant PT at DH, and that's Mauer.

So even with VMart as most time DH and back up C, you get a whole roster spot to do with as you please as you don't need to carry a DH and a second C separately, IMO V Mart does not have the defense to be everyday C, not to mention V Marts bat is much better over 150+ games than the 130ish a full time C gets. With that the roster flexibility V Mart offers he is more valuable than any other FA out there this season, except maybe Cliff Lee, IMO.
                            Last edited by tigers527; 12-10-2010, 05:48 PM.

Comment

• DClutch
                              • Apr 2009

If Martinez starts a game at DH, he can't enter the field later in the game right? Most days he will DH and Avila will catch. What if Avila gets hurt? Do they carry another catcher? Or just tell Inge to prepare for the worst?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X