• Show
Clear All
  • Spindlebrook
    The 26th Man
    • May 2010

June 27, 1976 Tigers @ Red Sox

I was wondering if any Tiger fans remember this game:

http://http://www.baseball-reference...97606270.shtml

For some reason, there was no designated hitter during the entire game. Rookie pitcher Frank MacCormack ended up batting three times; striking out twice and reaching on an error. Relief pitcher John Hiller also had an at bat later in the game.

Does anyone know the particulars of how this happened? The starting lineup had Rusty Staub as DH and Alex Johnson in RF, but Staub ending up replacing Johnson in the field before the first pitch was thrown, thereby forfeiting the DH for the rest of the game. Was Johnson injured just prior to game time? Or was the lineup card filled out incorrectly? If anyone knows for sure, the knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
    "Heck, all I got was a $100 check. I should have kept it and framed it, but I had to eat".

Infielder Bob Hegman, when asked if he received a World Series ring for playing one inning of one game with the World
    Champion 1985 Kansas City Royals.
  • EdTarbusz
    091707 0657
    • Jul 2007

According the Sporting News (7/17/76) Ralph Houk erred in listing both Rusty Staub and Alex Johnson as DHs on his line-up card. Red Sox manager Darrell Johnson notified home plate ump Don Denkinger of the mix-up and Denkinger said that the Tigers forfeited the use of the DH for the game. Looking at the box score, it look like the Tigers also lost the services of Alex Johnson for the game as well.

Comment

• Spindlebrook
      The 26th Man
      • May 2010

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
      According the Sporting News (7/17/76) Ralph Houk erred in listing both Rusty Staub and Alex Johnson as DHs on his line-up card. Red Sox manager Darrell Johnson notified home plate ump Don Denkinger of the mix-up and Denkinger said that the Tigers forfeited the use of the DH for the game. Looking at the box score, it look like the Tigers also lost the services of Alex Johnson for the game as well.
      Thanks for looking that up!
      "Heck, all I got was a $100 check. I should have kept it and framed it, but I had to eat".

Infielder Bob Hegman, when asked if he received a World Series ring for playing one inning of one game with the World
      Champion 1985 Kansas City Royals.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X