Thread: Why is JA Happ underated

Why is JA Happ underated

Why is Happ under-rated. Is it his age? Wasn't he hampered by injuries? spent a while in the minors, but had good numbers. I think he can be a very good #3 pitcher again for the Astros behind Wandy and Brett Myers

I think it's because he only really has had one full ML season under his belt. It might be the best thing for him and the Astros that he's flying under the radar right now. He could very well surprise everyone with an excellent year.

I always liked Happ and I followed his progress closely from his collegiate days at Northwestern University to his selection by the Phillies as a third round pick in 2004 (about 90th overall) and step-by-step up through the ranks of the Phils' minor league system. He had a few good appearences in his cup of coffee with the World's Championship bound 2008 Phillies club and I believe he finished second in voting for 2009 NL Rookie of the Year. He's still just heading into his prime. As the old expression goes "you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet" and unfortunately, Happ was "one of the eggs" sacrificed in order to make the Phils better for last year's stretch run. He was the price the Phillies paid to obtain Roy Oswalt, so Happ is highly valued in some baseball quarters. I think he still has a fine future ahead of him. Phils GM Ruben Amaro might even "pull a Cliff Lee move" and try to bring Happ back to the team someday after he's eligible for free agency. Happ's price tag will be a lot higher by then if he continues to progress, however.

Quote Originally Posted by The Commissioner View Post
    I think it's because he only really has had one full ML season under his belt. It might be the best thing for him and the Astros that he's flying under the radar right now. He could very well surprise everyone with an excellent year.
    Actually Happ has had two full seasons in the majors ('09 & '10) with parts of two others. His total seniority time of 2 years and 47 days is equivilant to nearly two and a third seasons in the big leagues. I agree. He's due for a break out season.

Quote Originally Posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
    Actually Happ has had two full seasons in the majors ('09 & '10) with parts of two others. His total seniority time of 2 years and 47 days is equivilant to nearly two and a third seasons in the big leagues. I agree. He's due for a break out season.
    I wasn't even counting 2010 as a full season since he missed all of May, June, & most of July.

The Sporting News is expecting a breakthrough season for him.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill JEDI