Thread: Astros off-season thread

Hybrid View

Astros off-season thread

Day 3 of the Winter Meetings has begun, and here is what we know so far:

• The Astros are looking to move Lindstrom and Keppinger. The Rockies are rumored to be interested in Lindstrom
    • Wade has been instructed to keep payroll around 70 million
    • We are rumored to be interested in signing Jack Cust or Bill Hall
    • Mills will give Jordan Lyles a shot at the rotation this Spring Training

I am really more excited about the Rule V Draft since the Astros are more than likely going to use their pick and maybe trade for the pick of another club too...right now there are 3 open spots on the roster, and if we can get a LOOGY or a promising Lefty middle infielder out of the draft, then i would be pleased....

i would be more partial to Hall than Cust since Hall actually plays good defense in the infield, and Cust would actually be only a slight upgrade defensively over Lee, which isn't a compliment
    Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls. More democratic. ~Bill Durham

I'm baffled by the seeming need to move or replace Keppinger. Pencil in Barmes at short while giving Manzella and Sanchez fair shots in ST (either makes a good bench infielder, neither hits), set Wallace at 1B and Johnson at 3B knowing the jobs are theirs to lose, flip coins for how to spread Castro/Towles/Q at catcher (another ST decision), let Carlos play left as long as he hits but don't guarantee him 1B if he doesn't (Michaels and/or Bogey make good bench outfielders), Bourn, Pence, done. Kep came through when given his chance as an everyday player, provides a "veteran presence" (i.e., all of 30 in a 20-something infield), and can play anywhere in a utility role should someone emerge. The 'Stros have enough things to fix without worrying about the one that wasn't broken last year.
    Life is complex, it has both real and imaginary parts.

i'm with you on being confused about why they would want to trade Kepp. I am not sold on him as a legit starting 2B, his range at 2B is pretty bad. However, he makes for a great utility infielder with his ability to play all infield positions. I don't know about you, but Bogusevic didnt impress me last year at all. i was really excited when i heard we were interested in Bill Hall, but those rumors have died down over the last coupel of days. Bill Hall would be the perfect fit for our team. he can play good defense at 2B/3B, and even has experience in the OF.
    Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls. More democratic. ~Bill Durham

The Astros announced that they have signed first baseman Brian Dopirak and right-hander Sammy Gervacio. Both players receive minor league contracts and invitations to big league Spring Training.

ho hum........

Astros sign Bill Hall to a 1 year/3.25 million dollar deal. He will be our primary 2b, which frees Keppinger to the trade market. i wonder what kind of a prospect we could get for Keppinger? maybe a B-Level porspect???

Astros Trade with PHI for LH Relief Pitcher

The Astros traded minor league second baseman Albert Cartwright for minor league LH reliever Sergio Escalona. Escalona is 26 years old, and has a small amount of experience (13 innngs) at the major league level in 2009 and spent 2010 in AA Reading, posting a 3.91 FIP and 3.47 ERA. He is expected to compete for the LOOGY role against Chacin and Wesley Wright.

Cartwright is a 23 year old second baseman who had great offensive stats in A+ Lancaster (over .900 OPS), but Lancaster is a launching pad. When Cartwright was promoted to AA Corpus Christi his offense came back to earth with a .557 OPS. One would think that this move shows that the Astros have a preference for Jose Altuve, the 5-ft. 5 in. second baseman who also played in AA.

Quote Originally Posted by astrosFANATIC View Post
    Astros sign Bill Hall to a 1 year/3.25 million dollar deal. He will be our primary 2b, which frees Keppinger to the trade market. i wonder what kind of a prospect we could get for Keppinger? maybe a B-Level porspect???
    Keppinger is having foot surgery that will likely keep him out until May. Oh well for trading him pre-2011 season. I still suspect that he will not finish the year in an Astros uniform.