Thread: So where will Rafael Soriano end up?

So where will Rafael Soriano end up?

Round 2 of the free for all bidding war for Rays free agents (well it won't be free for the team that signs him). Round 3 if you count Carlos Pena and his .196 BA getting $10M from the Cubs

Soriano made $8M in 2010 in a one year deal with the Rays and is in line for a raise. It doesn't sound like as many teams will be bidding on this X-Ray that there was for Crawford.

1) LA Angels of Anaheim (deciding between Beltre and Soriano as their big FA splurge)
    2) NY Mets (if they can unload K-Rod's contract?)
    3) Atlanta Braves (to replace the retired Billy Wagner)

Red Sox could afford him, but have Papelbon for another year and Bard as closer in waiting. Yankees just re-upped Mariano for 2 more years, so I doubt Soriano would go there to be an 8th inning guy for 2 years. Has anyone else heard of any other teams that may be talking to Soirano's agent?

Quote Originally Posted by raysnbran View Post
    Yankees just re-upped Mariano for 2 more years, so I doubt Soriano would go there to be an 8th inning guy for 2 years.
    Shows you what the hell do I know?

At least he has out clauses to leave instead of waiting for ageless Mo to hang 'em up. The Rays are still looking for a closer, Farnsworth is not the answer...

yeah i was kinda surprised he went to the yankees, i bet Mariano will let him close out a few games.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)