Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Halls of Fame general discussion thread

Blog Entries
    Due to a family emergency, this project is on hold, probably for the next week.
    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

I updated the cumulative list to include the new Yankee HOFers. Dave Winfield was added to the list of individuals elected to multiple franchise Halls (Yankees and Padres).

Since the Marlins are the only team without anyone in their franchise Hall, I'd like to suggest Luis Castillo and/or Jack McKeon for the second chance elections.
    *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DJC View Post
    Since the Marlins are the only team without anyone in their franchise Hall, I'd like to suggest Luis Castillo and/or Jack McKeon for the second chance elections.
    You may suggest, but somebody's got to put together a bit of a case for either or both of them to make it. There's plenty of examples, and the bar for inclusion isn't exceptional.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jalbright View Post
    Due to a family emergency, this project is on hold, probably for the next week.
    It's now time to get back to moving this process along. Sorry for the interruption, but I simply didn't have time for it last week.

Blog Entries
    Two Red Sox I would like to at least give a second chance to are Dick Radatz and Ellis Kinder.

Radatz wasn't with the Sox for long, only from 1962-66. But he was the best reliever in WAR in the majors for that period, and the single best reliever in WAR in 1962, 1963 and 1964. For me, that's enough to put him in the Sox HOF.

Kinder excelled in both starting and relieving roles for the Sox. In 1949, he was The Sporting News' Pitcher of the Year. If we use WAR instead, he was 5th in pitcher WAR in the AL in 1949, and 9th in each of 1950, 1951 and 1953. He was the best reliever in the majors in WAR in 1951 and 1953.

Blog Entries
    Donie Bush may not need a push from me, but here it is anyway: he was the best shortstop in the AL in WAR in 1909, 1910, 1912 and 1914, and the second best in the league in 1915 and 1917. He was a Tiger in all those seasons. That's six seasons worth of All-Star performance at shortstop as a Tiger. I think that makes him worthy of being included in the Tiger HOF.

Blog Entries
    I'll also nominate Ray Chapman for the Indians. He spent his whole career with the Tribe, and received a fatal wound from a beaning while wearing their uniform. During the time of his career, 1912-1920, he has the most WAR of any shortstop in the majors. In single season terms, he was the WAR leader among AL shortstops in 1915, 1917, 1918, and 1920 (despite dying with about a month to go in the season), and he was second among AL shortstops in 1919. He belongs in the Indian HOF.

Why is Joe Wood listed on the second chance list for the Red Sox? We elected him to the Red Sox HOF last round.

Blog Entries
    I want to make two nominations for the Braves: Billy Hamilton and John Clarkson.

Hamilton was with the Braves franchise from 1896-1901, and is the CF with the most WAR during that time. He was the best CF in WAR in the following individual seasons: 1896, 1897, 1898 and 1900.

Clarkson was with the team in 1888-1892, though only half the 1891 season. He was dominant in that time, though:
    He got a pitching Triple Crown (Wins, ERA and K's) in 1889
    He led the league (all players) in WAR in 1889, and was 6th in the same classification in 1890;
    In pitching WAR, he led the league in 1889, was 5th in 1890, 8th in 1892, and 9th in 1888;
    In ERA, he was first in 1889 and 3rd in 1892;
    In wins, he was first in 1889, 2d in 1888, and 7th in 1890;
    In won-loss percentage, he was first in 1889, 6th in 1888, and 9th in 1890;
    In strikeouts/ 9 IP, he was 5th in 1889 and 9th in 1888;
    In strikeouts, he was first in 1889, 2d in 1888, and 10th in 1890;
    and in IP, he led in both 1888 and 1889 and was 7th in 1890.

This was in an era when pitchers often had all their careers in as few as five seasons, or at least all their productive years in such a span. Few if any in that time could match Clarkson's productivity in his years with the Braves.
    Last edited by jalbright; 03-21-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jjpm74 View Post
    Why is Joe Wood listed on the second chance list for the Red Sox? We elected him to the Red Sox HOF last round.
    Clerical error on my part.

Blog Entries
    Since I wasn't getting much response to my own nominations, which required a second, I modified the rule so that any candidate I nominated who received the greater of four votes or at least 50% of the total was automatically seconded. This reduced the list of players needing seconds dramatically, and some of them are with franchises which are still holding elections and therefore could reach the 50% threshhold. I updated the list of candidates for second chances to reflect this rule change and other seconds. Currently, no one has submitted an argument for a player or contributor which will not result in that individual receiving a second chance election.
    Last edited by jalbright; 02-27-2012 at 03:21 PM.

The cumulative list has been updated to include the results from the 4th-round A's and Braves elections.
    *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

I will second these players (not that I am a definite to vote for them). I'm not at all sold on Tekulve given how high the bar has been set for relievers.

Blog Entries
    Thanks. I've seconded many that I won't vote for, either. To me, seconding is just saying the candidates are worthy of consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by jalbright View Post
    Thanks. I've seconded many that I won't vote for, either. To me, seconding is just saying the candidates are worthy of consideration.
    I see that I did a poor job quoting. I am seconding Tekulve as well as the other 4 even though I do not intend to vote for Tekulve. His omission was a sloppy cut and paste.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jjpm74 View Post
    I see that I did a poor job quoting. I am seconding Tekulve as well as the other 4 even though I do not intend to vote for Tekulve. His omission was a sloppy cut and paste.
    Hey, we all make mistakes--I make my share, that's for sure. Anyway, thanks.

Blog Entries
    It looks to me like the fifth round will be the last before the second chance voting begins. All the franchises so far have had issues this round.

I updated the cumulative list again to include the results from the Red Sox and Tigers 4th rounds. Chet Lemon is a new addition to the list of players elected to multiple Halls (White Sox and Tigers).

Blog Entries
    I'm going to start the fifth round this weekend with three teams--the Dodgers, Yankees and Braves. The Pirates and Reds are the only teams left in the fourth round, and they're both stuck at six votes, not enough to warrant a fifth round. If the votes materialize and they seem to deserve a fifth round, I'll give it to whichever one(s) qualify. The fifth round will be the last before the second chance and actives rounds. The Dodgers, Yankees and Braves are the only three that have qualified for a fifth round so far.

If neither the Reds nor Pirates make it to a fifth round, we'll start the second chance round next weekend, but with the first round taking three full weeks. If the Pirates and/or Reds make a fifth round, the second chance round will start midweek of the week of the 26th.
    Last edited by jalbright; 03-17-2012 at 07:35 AM.

Cumulative list updated again, if anyone cares.

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast