• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jalbright
    Researcher/advocate/mod
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
    I see that I did a poor job quoting. I am seconding Tekulve as well as the other 4 even though I do not intend to vote for Tekulve. His omission was a sloppy cut and paste.
    Hey, we all make mistakes--I make my share, that's for sure. Anyway, thanks.
    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

• jalbright
      Researcher/advocate/mod
      • Mar 2005

It looks to me like the fifth round will be the last before the second chance voting begins. All the franchises so far have had issues this round.
      A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

• Nerdlinger
        Slippery when wet
        • Nov 2008

I updated the cumulative list again to include the results from the Red Sox and Tigers 4th rounds. Chet Lemon is a new addition to the list of players elected to multiple Halls (White Sox and Tigers).
        *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

Comment

• jalbright
          Researcher/advocate/mod
          • Mar 2005

I'm going to start the fifth round this weekend with three teams--the Dodgers, Yankees and Braves. The Pirates and Reds are the only teams left in the fourth round, and they're both stuck at six votes, not enough to warrant a fifth round. If the votes materialize and they seem to deserve a fifth round, I'll give it to whichever one(s) qualify. The fifth round will be the last before the second chance and actives rounds. The Dodgers, Yankees and Braves are the only three that have qualified for a fifth round so far.

If neither the Reds nor Pirates make it to a fifth round, we'll start the second chance round next weekend, but with the first round taking three full weeks. If the Pirates and/or Reds make a fifth round, the second chance round will start midweek of the week of the 26th.
          Last edited by jalbright; 03-17-2012, 06:35 AM.

Comment

• Nerdlinger
            Slippery when wet
            • Nov 2008

Cumulative list updated again, if anyone cares.
            *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

Comment

• jjpm74
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by jalbright View Post
              I'm going to start the fifth round this weekend with three teams--the Dodgers, Yankees and Braves. The Pirates and Reds are the only teams left in the fourth round, and they're both stuck at six votes, not enough to warrant a fifth round. If the votes materialize and they seem to deserve a fifth round, I'll give it to whichever one(s) qualify. The fifth round will be the last before the second chance and actives rounds. The Dodgers, Yankees and Braves are the only three that have qualified for a fifth round so far.

If neither the Reds nor Pirates make it to a fifth round, we'll start the second chance round next weekend, but with the first round taking three full weeks. If the Pirates and/or Reds make a fifth round, the second chance round will start midweek of the week of the 26th.
              Both this and the single ballot HOF threads shopule be added to the info sticky, IMO if they aren't already.

Comment

• Nerdlinger
                Slippery when wet
                • Nov 2008

[post retracted (meant to post in Yankees HOF Round 5 thread)]

Comment

• jalbright
                  Researcher/advocate/mod
                  • Mar 2005

We've had this presented for Bob Meusel:

The case for Bob Meusel:

Bob Meusel played 10 years for the NY Yankees and often gets overshadowed because of who he played with (Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig). While with the Yankees, Meusel was an MVP candidate 3 times, and had an explosive year in 1928 when he led the league in games, home runs and RBIs. His best 3 WAR with the Yankees was 4.2, 3.7, 3.3. He also accumulated 107 Gray ink in his career, 99% of which came as a Yankee. Meusel is not a HOFer, but he is definitely worthy of the Yankees HOF.
                  Originally posted by NJRob65 View Post
                  According to www.baseball-reference.com he [ed.: Meusel] had 23.9 career WAR, 24.4 with the Yankees.
                  Meusel is a tough case for me. When I add up his peaks and career with the Yankees, he's a tiny bit short. I ran his season by season WAR against other corner OF of his day, and he never finished higher than 7th, and only once that high. IOW, he was never All-Star quality. That makes it really hard for me to support him. I won't if I'm not in the position of blocking his induction. If I'm in that position, I'll have a dilemma on my hands.
                  Last edited by jalbright; 03-19-2012, 07:42 AM.

Comment

• jalbright
                    Researcher/advocate/mod
                    • Mar 2005

I'm also going to present a case for Burt Hooton. Hooton has also passed the 50% level in a prior election, so he doesn't need a second to make it to the second chance round if he doesn't make it here.

As a Dodger, Hooton was:
                    in the top 10 in pitcher WAR five times;
                    in the top 10 in WHIP six times;
                    in the top 10 in ERA five times;
                    in the top 10 in wins 4 times; and
                    in the top 10 in won/loss percentage four times.

Comment

• jalbright
                      Researcher/advocate/mod
                      • Mar 2005

I'm going to present a case for Jake Daubert, which won't require a second as he's already gotten over 50% of the vote in an election for the franchise.

According to WAR, Daubert was the second best NL 1B four times while with the Dodgers, and was third three times. Two of those three third place finishes were by the tiny margin of 0.2, or about two runs. Bottom line is, he was all-star quality at least six years with the franchise, and I think that's enough to deserve a spot in the team HOF.

Comment

• jalbright
                        Researcher/advocate/mod
                        • Mar 2005

I'm going to add a case for Bob Shawkey. He has reached 50% in the voting, so he doesn't need a second to make the second chance round.

In his time with the Yankees, Shawkey:

was in the top 10 among pitching WAR five times (three of them third place finishes);
                        was in the top 10 in ERA three times;
                        was in the top 10 in wins six times;
                        was in the top 10 in won/lost percentage six times;
                        was in the top 10 in WHIP six times;
                        was in the top ten in K/ 9 IP seven times;
                        was in the top 10 in IP four times;
                        was in the top 10 in strikeouts seven times; and
                        was in the top 10 in K /BB ratio 8 times.

Yeah, he had good taste in teammates, but he did a lot to help himself, too.

Comment

• jalbright
                          Researcher/advocate/mod
                          • Mar 2005

Here's three nominees for the Dodgers:

Originally posted by BigRon View Post
                          Quick pitches for Labine, Perranoski, Roseboro.

Clem Labine played 11 seasons for the Dodgers. He was a quality reliever the entire time, His 113 ERA+ doesn't seem that impressive, but relievers were used differently in the 50s. Labine AVERAGED more than 2 IP per game, and started a number of times in pressure situations- usually with good results.

Ron Perranoski had a 132 ERA+ in 8 seasons as a Dodger. He also frequently pitched multiple innings, and led the NL 3 times in games pitched. He was a significant component of the Dodgers' success in the 60s.

John Rseboro was a high quality catcher for the Doodgers for 11 seasons, late 50s through late 60s. A good defender and a decent hitter- his stats appear depressed due to the pitchers' era he played in. Roseboro was also a team leader for the Dodgers in those days. He was a 3X all star and 2X Gold Glove winner with the Dodgers.

Comment

• jalbright
                            Researcher/advocate/mod
                            • Mar 2005

Another Dodger nominee:

The case for Jaime Jarrin as a contributor:

Jaime Jarrin is the the Spanish sportscasting world what Vin Scully and Harry Caray are to the English speaking broadcasting world. During Jarrin's 54 years with the Dodgers, he has

called over 4000 games
                            transcribed road games on the fly for 14 years early on
                            received the Ford C. Frick award in 1998
                            received several prestigious awards for his Spanish speaking announcing

Jarrin is someone who at least deserves a second look, IMO and is someone who has had an important role with the Dodgers since they moved to Los Angeles.
                            This is what wikipedia has to say about Jarrin's accolades:

In 1998, Jarrín received the Ford C. Frick Award from the Baseball Hall of Fame, becoming the second Spanish-language broadcaster to receive that award, joining Mets and Yankees announcer, Buck Canel. The Dodgers are the only team with two Hall of Fame announcers, English language announcer Vin Scully being the other. In February 1998, Jarrin was the first recipient of the Southern California Broadcaster Association's President's Award. Also in 1998, he was honored by the National Association of Hispanic Journalists with their highest award, and received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

In 2002, Jarrin was inducted into the California Broadcasters Association Hall of Fame and in 2003, into the Hispanic Heritage Baseball Museum. He received the 2003 Foreign Language Sports Broadcaster Award from the Southern California Sports Broadcasters inducted into the Southern California Sports Broadcaster's Hall of Fame. Jarrin was honored again by the SCSB with the foreign-language broadcaster of the year award in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007 and 2008. In 2009, he was honored by the Society of St. Vincent DePaul for his commitment to changing the lives of at-risk youth in the community.

He has also received La Gran Cruz al Merito en El Grado de Comendador (the highest civilian medal) from his native Ecuador in January 1992. In 1990 he was named as one of the top 100 Influential Hispanics in the United States by Hispanic Business Magazine. In 1970, he was the first Latin American to win the Golden Mike Award, which he received again in 1971. In 2000, he spoke at the MLB Rookie Development seminar, which is designed to prepare top minor league prospects for the Major Leagues.
                            The caveat here is that while he is unquestionably one of the most important Spanish radio broadcasters in the US history of radio, a lot of attention comes from what he has done for the community and some of it comes from his role as a Spanish broadcaster outside of the Dodgers organization. I myself am on the fence with him, but he at least deserves some attention and discussion here.

Comment

• Nerdlinger
                              Slippery when wet
                              • Nov 2008

Cumulative list updated again. Bob Elliott is the newest addition to the list of players elected to multiple franchise HOFs (Braves and Pirates).

Comment

• jalbright
                                Researcher/advocate/mod
                                • Mar 2005

Here's an updated list of those nominated for the second chance elections (I combed the election threads for arguments for those who have yet to be elected). I will list candidates for teams who are still holding elections, but will remove them if the player is elected. All these candidates are considered to have a second. I will add others as they are nominated and seconded, and will remove anyone who has their nomination argument revoked by the argument maker unless someone else wishes to adopt the argument as their own.

Angels
                                Troy Glaus

Astros
                                Roger Clemens
                                Turk Farrell

Athletics
                                Billy Beane as a contributor
                                Tony LaRussa as a contributor

Blue Jays
                                Lloyd Moseby

Braves
                                John Clarkson
                                Billy Hamilton
                                Fred Tenney
                                Arthur Soden as a contributor
                                Harry Wright as a contributor

Brewers
                                Bud Selig as a contributor

Cardinals
                                Jesse Haines
                                Alfred Spink as a contributor

Diamondbacks
                                Brandon Webb

Dodgers
                                Jake Daubert
                                Clem Labine
                                Ron Perranoski
                                Johnny Roseboro
                                Ned Hanlon as a contributor
                                Jaime Jarrin as a contributor
                                Walter O'Malley as a contributor

Giants
                                Sal Maglie

Indians
                                Bill Bradley
                                Ray Chapman
                                Wes Ferrell
                                Mike Garcia
                                Joe Jackson
                                Herb Score as a contributor

Mariners
                                Dave Niehaus as a contributor

Marlins
                                Luis Castillo

Mets
                                Gary Carter
                                Ed Kranepool
                                John Franco
                                Joan Payson (contributor)
                                William Shea (contributor)

Nationals/Expos
                                Jacques Doucet as a contributor

Orioles
                                Dave McNally
                                George Stone
                                Ray Miller as a contributor
                                Bill DeWitt as a contributor
                                Chuck Thompson as a contributor

Padres
                                Ken Caminiti

Phillies
                                Del Ennis
                                Dallas Green as a contributor

Pirates
                                Kent Tekulve
                                Lloyd Waner
                                Larry Frattare as a contributor
                                Denny McKnight as a contributor
                                William Nimick as a contributor

Rangers
                                Tom Grieve as a contributor
                                Ron Washington as a contributor

Rays
                                Andrew Friedman as a contributor

Reds
                                Lonny Frey
                                Dolf Luque
                                Jim Maloney
                                Bob Purkey
                                O. P. Caylor as a contributor
                                Frank Bancroft as a contributor
                                Bob Howsam as a contributor

Red Sox
                                Ellis Kinder
                                Dick Radatz
                                Jason Varitek
                                Tim Wakefield

Royals
                                Dennis Leonard
                                John Schuerholz as a contributor
                                Kevin Seitzer as a contributor

Tigers
                                Rocky Colavito

Twins
                                Chuck Knoblauch
                                Firpo Marberry

White Sox
                                Early Wynn
                                Bill Melton
                                Clark Griffith as a contributor
                                Ozzie Guillen as a contributor

Yankees
                                Bob Meusel
                                Bob Shawkey
                                George Weiss as a contributor

Defunct NL
                                Fred Dunlap
                                Joe Start
                                Jack Rowe
                                Frank Bancroft as a contributor
                                Jack Chapman as a contributor
                                Patsy Tebeau as a contributor

Pre 1876
                                Nat Hicks
                                Asa Brainard
                                Candy Cummings
                                Levi Meyerle

Negro Leagues
                                Francisco Coimbre
                                Frank Warfield as a contributor
                                Alex Pompez as a contributor
                                Last edited by jalbright; 04-04-2012, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X