Thread: Prepping for '11: Dodgers' Off-Season

Prepping for '11: Dodgers' Off-Season

http://mlb.mlblogs.com/archives/2010...eft_field.html

IMO, only Thames will do, if indeed finding a full time LFer is a priority.
    I found the first comment below the article interesting: Sign Beltre, deal Blake, and let the potential LFers battle it out in Spring Training.

Here's hoping this offseason thread takes off . . . Dodger fans on BBF, do you still follow the team over the winter??!?
    "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

"My name is Yasiel Puig. I am from Cuba. I am 21 years old. Thank you."

About 15 miles East of Blue Heaven on Earth, Dodger Stadium
    We never had a chance at Beltre.
    I do follow the Dodgers over the winter. I was keeping an eye on who was working out at Dodger Stadium. BTW, I don't like that they destroyed the field to have that Monster truck event. I know it will look great come Opening Day but still I did not looking at those pictures.

Also from the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes page.

The Quakes will be featured on the Dodgers "Route of Champions" series, coming up on Wednesday, January 26th at 10:30pm on Fox Sports Prime Ticket. details here http://ranchocucamonga.quakes.milb.c...x.jsp?sid=t526

Emma
    htjtp://crzblue.mlblogs.com

I concur, Beltre was never much of an option with no $ freed up to spend. I am excited about Spring Training, as I believe that Mattingly will give several youngsters a chance to make the roster. At least I hope that is the case.
    I actually watched the supercross event on TV just because it was at Dodger Stadium. I enjoyed hearing the announcer say, "as he rounds third and heads for home." I am sure it was quite the undertaking to set up the course!
    "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

About 15 miles East of Blue Heaven on Earth, Dodger Stadium
    BHSS99,
    Did not know the supercross was on TV. That is funny what the announcer said. Hey did you see the video on Kershaw dancing at his wedding and also dancing in Africa? Well, the one in Africa is only a picture. I look forward to a great year from Kershaw. Opening day, I mean evening will be Kershaw against the freak.

I DID see the dancing video. I know someone who was at the wedding/reception; he said it was pretty awesome. Yeah, Opening Day will be very fun. Looking forward to seeing Clayton compete against Lincecum.

I hope i can find a job soon because by the looks of this offense we are going to need a lot of beer money Kid-K had an awesome wedding cake too!
    22 League Pennants

Assume nothing; Question everything

Loney in 2010: 3,100,000
    Asking for 2011: 5,250,000
    Offered for 2011: 4,700,000

Hits, HR, RBI, OPS, all down from 2009. Yes, his defense is great, he did steal 10 bases, and he played in 160 games - all wonderful. I just think it's time the Dodgers send the guy a message. I really like him a great deal, as he seems to be a true "team guy" and I have always read he is great for the LA community. However, those facts don't help drive in runs. I also understand that Loney cannot "remake" himself into something he's not (unless he pulls a Jose Bautista-type deal), so perhaps it is simply that the Dodgers will look for power elsewhere and be happy with great defense and durability at 1B. I do hope the arbitration process works well for both player and team, but I do wonder when the Dodgers will be able to have a 1B to at least compete with the Pujols, Cabreras, Dunns, Fielders, Vottos, Teixeiras, and Morneaus, et al of the world.

Not sayin', just sayin' . . .

I have been following the team in the off-season, and I like what I have seen. I think there has been too much thinking that the McCourts' financial situation affected big signings and trades, and while it may have, it doesn't seem to be Colletti's style, especially after the Jason Schmidt fiasco, to roll the dice with a huge off-season move like that. The pitching staff got some improvements. I like Uribe. And it may be that the most significant off-season move was signing Davey Lopes to coach 1B and Don Mattingly saying he wants to run more. Torre's approach tended to be the American League/Earl Weaver idea of waiting for a three-run homer. I think we might see more run-manufacturing this year.

MG, I agree that the addition of Lopes to the staff is a great move. Here's hoping (fingers crossed) that Furcal can have a healthy season, and that Lopes tutelage will encourage both Raffy and Kemp to run more often and run "smarter". I believe Lopes will help Furcal and Kemp to do a better job of picking and choosing when to run. It would be very cool to see both at 30+ swipes this season. Great, too, if Loney to bump his total up to a number closer to 20, although I don't know if that will be encouraged or not. And depending on what happens in LF, Gwynn could be a 20-30 SB guy too. Too bad neither Gibbons nor Ethier are runners.

This is to be my last "offseason" post, as I'd like to start a new thread on Thursday when pitchers/catchers/overachievers report to ST. I don't know if you've seen this, but it is an interesting read . . .
    Los Angeles Dodgers

BIGGEST ADDITIONS: Jon Garland, Juan Uribe, Matt Guerrier, Marcus Thames, Gabe Kapler, Tony Gwynn Jr., Blake Hawksworth, Ron Mahay, manager Don Mattingly.

BIGGEST SUBTRACTIONS: Russell Martin, Scott Podsednik, Reed Johnson, Brad Ausmus, George Sherrill, Jeff Weaver, Ryan Theriot, manager Joe Torre.

So whaddaya know. Thanks to a much-needed advance on their TV money, the Dodgers weren't paralyzed by their ownership debacle after all. So once he was freed from captivity, GM Ned Colletti burned up the old Transactions column all winter -- signing 11 free agents to big league deals and another 15 to minor league deals.

Best thing they did: Moved ultra-aggressively to bring back free agents Ted Lilly, Hiroki Kuroda and Vicente Padilla, while signing Garland for a mere one year, $5 million guarantee. So rotation depth -- a big issue last summer -- is now one of this team's biggest strengths all of a sudden.

Most debatable thing they did: guaranteeing three years and $21 million to Uribe. Lovable and clutch as he may have been for the Giants last year, he's never had an on-base percentage as high as .330 in ANY of his 10 big league seasons. And it's tough to identify his ideal position anymore. But the Giants weren't happy to lose him, if that means anything.

What remains to be seen: How the left-field jumble of Thames, Gabe Kapler and Tony Gwynn Jr. works out -- and, even more importantly, how Mattingly's managerial debut works out. This is a tough clubhouse. And this division leads the league in pitchers' duels, where running the game matters. So as astute and well-liked as Mattingly may be, he's in for the biggest challenge of his lifetime.