Thread: Claude Mouton

Claude Mouton

I never knew, until I looked it up today, the name of the very distinctive P.A. announcer at Parc Jarry.
    John Boccabella was probably his most famous call. I remember the delight he took in the French names too, like Bruce Boisclair.

I want to know more about this man: origins, Expos career, life afterward.

Mouton also served as the PA voice of the Montreal Canadiens at the Forum in Montreal until his passing from cancer in 1993. I think he also worked in some capacity for the Canadiens (PR?) for many years during the 1980's and 90's. He was replaced by Michel Lacroix when he became too ill to work as the 1993 season drew to a close. I think one of the last big games he did was the last NHL All-Star Game held at the Montreal Forum. Unique voice and a class act.

To be more specific, Mouton was the PA announcer at the Expos games from 1969 to 1973.

During the 60s, he was sports director at CKAC, Montreal’s most popular radio station at the time.

But he was also involved in lots of other sports, particularly cycle racing. He’s a member of the Quebec Cycling Hall of Fame.

He was the PA at the famous boxing fight between Roberto Duran and Sugar Ray Leonard in 1980 at the Big O and also at the opening and closing ceremonies of the Montreal Olympic Games in 1976 and at their soccer and cycling competitions.

But Mouton has done lots more. This article gives you the details. Unfortunately, it’s in French.
    « But what's puzzlin' you is the nature of my game... »

Pas de problème pour moi, mon ami -- merci.

But I could have sworn Mouton was with the Expos later than '73. I seem to recall him announcing not only the likes of Bruce Boisclair but also Bombo Rivera.

If it wasn't him, then who was it?

I think Richard Morency was in charge for many many years after Mouton left. Something like 10, 15 years. After that, it was Alain Rouleau for quite awhile too. Can't find more details online right now. Maybe sending your questions to Jacques Doucet would be the best thing to do.
    « But what's puzzlin' you is the nature of my game... »

Good idea. I've had the pleasure of corresponding with Jacques.

Here's an article about Claude Mouton from the 1970 Expos program.

(source of image: here)
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

If a sound clip exists of Mouton's Boccabella call, I'd love to hear it again after all these years.

Monsieur Mouton was my neighbor (SP?) when I was a kid in the Rosemont Neighborhood of Montréal. A real gentleman who never got upset when my brother and I sent balls in his yard while playing baseball. There's a street in the city honoring him today.
    From now until the end of September, I'll be chronicling in real time on Twitter the 1946 season of the International league's Montréal Royals, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Check it out: https://twitter.com/Royals_46season