Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baseball Games in Non-Baseball Stadiums

Baseball Games in Non-Baseball Stadiums

I've always been interested in baseball games played in non-baseball stadiums, particularly those in Europe and Australia. I've compiled a handful of games where baseball was played in non-baseball stadiums, and I'll present those here with the hope that others will also share the games they come across:

2008, Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum
    Red Sox at Dodgers:

Baseball at Old Wembley Stadium, London, England:
    (News reel here: http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=23031)

Great Britain Baseball Team vs. Marcus Trescothick's Bangers, Somerset County Cricket Ground, Taunton, Somerset, England

1987 Home Run Derby: Ian Botham vs. Hank Aaron (he later withdrew), The Oval, Kennington, London Borough of Lambeth, England

I couldn't find pics of these baseball events in England:

1988 Home Run Derby: Graham Gooch vs. Ernie Banks, The Oval, Kennington, London Borough of Lambeth

1989 Great Britain Baseball Team vs. Legends of Baseball, Old Trafford Cricket Ground, Manchester

1993 New York Mets vs. Boston Red Sox (minor leaguers), The Oval, Kennington, London Borough of Lambeth

(Much thanks to Commandant over at Sky Scraper City for finding several of these)

Until the Marlins' new ballpark opens, *they* will continue to play baseball in a non-baseball stadium.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

New York Giants vs. Chicago White Sox, Liverpool, 1930s

Norwood Oval, Australia:

U.S. Ground Forces all-star team during the All-Professional game at Wembley Stadium, August 7, 1943:

U.S. Army Air Force team at Selhurst Park (home of Crystal Palace soccer club), London in July 1942:

U.S. military baseball at Eton Cricket Club in England:

U.S. military baseball at Kenilworth Road (home of Luton Town soccer club) in 1944:

Ralph Ifft (player-coach of the U.S. Ground Forces all-star team) meets semi-pro hurler Bill Brech of the U.S. Army Air Force all-stars at Wembley Stadium, England on August 7, 1943. Brech pitched a no-hitter that day:

The duke of Abercorn meeting the 34th Infantry Division's Midwest Giants before a July 4, 1942 game in Northern Ireland. No stadium name given:

http://www.tampapix.com/plantfield.htm

Plant Field, Tampa

http://cgi.ebay.com/1930-Tampa-Flori...ht_3063wt_1168
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lpeters199; 01-04-2011 at 06:04 PM.

I've just learned that this is Windsor Park, Belfast. Linfield FC and the national team are the home teams-

Hyde Park, London-

More from that Giants - White Sox game at Liverpool in 1924-

Sydney Showground in it's 2000 Olympics Format (Also hosted several ABL games)-

1989 Diamond Diplomacy Tour, Dynamo Stadium, Kiev, Ukraine

1989 Diamond Diplomacy Tour, Tallinn, Estonia (not sure if this is Kalevi Stadium)

1989 Diamond Diplomacy Tour, Indoor Soccer Arena, Moscow, Russia

berlin 1936...

The Olympic Games have come to Germany, the home of an angry society that is about to turn the world on its head.

An American baseball team arrives to play for baseball supremacy. Officially the game is only a demonstration sport, but a record crowd of 125,000 people descends upon Berlin's Olympic Stadium after dark, expecting to see a tough competition. Only the Americans dressed in their heavy cotton uniforms show up.

With no one to play against, the Americans split up into two separate teams and played against each other. In the end, the side dubbed the World Amateurs beat their former teammates, called the USA Olympics, by a score of 6-5. More importantly, baseball was being played in the Olympic Games.

unfortunately, no photos seem to exist of this event - only the team pix.

i had a chance in 1985 talk to a member of this team, for research but no pix.

http://dmbworldseriesreplay.wordpres...mpic-baseball/
    Last edited by Paul W; 01-04-2011 at 06:11 PM.

the diamond diplomacy tour led to the first ussr national baseball team to play in international competition.

their first big oppurtunity was at the '90 goowill games in seattle, the baseball location was cheney stadium in tacoma.
    i was part of the turner graphics unit and in the 6 weeks i was there (a.k.a. the turner hostage crisis)
    one of the hottest items was the CCCP hats the team wore, but they came with only enough for their use and by the time i got to tacoma to see the gold medal game they had already left.
    they weren't very good, taking athletes form other sports - javelin throwers, soccer goalies etc. watching the catcher was particullarly painful.
    when asked when they would field a good team a player responded "...when our kids start playing..."

here's their uni (the only time in intl. competition) and what the now demolished cheney looked like.

Diamonds In The Rough
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...6614/index.htm
    Last edited by Paul W; 01-04-2011 at 06:52 PM.

Any idea on the game in Liverpool... was that played at Goodison Park or Anfield? Everton FC play at Goodison, and the more well known Liverpool FC play at Anfield. As you can see, the two are very close to each other, separated only by Stanley park and a fierce rivalry.

"Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

These photos are great! I didnt know about the game in Liverpool. Does anybody have any pics of the short-lived British baseball league in the early years of the 20th century?

Unfortunately I'm unsure as to the location of the Liverpool game.

Once again thanks to Commandant at SSC:

Great Britain Baseball Team at Lords Cricket Ground, London, England

A link to a BBC News video about the event:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programme...ca/9018060.stm

Albert Spalding’s Australian Baseball Tour (it eventually became a world tour): Chicago White Stockings vs. All Americas, Great Pyramid of Giza, Egypt

The players climbed the Sphinx after the game for a team photo:

Quote Originally Posted by bandit12 View Post
    I saw (the Glasgow) Celtic play the Tampa Bay Mutiny there in early 2001. After the game, a scotsman ran across the pitch, lifted his kilt, then ran off into the night.

It was greet.

TOP CRICKETERS TO PLAY THE GB BASEBALL TEAM IN OCTOBER (2009)

A baseball game between the GB Baseball Team and a team composed of top international cricketers has been scheduled for Saturday, October 4 at the Somerset County Cricket Ground in Taunton as part of England player Marcus Trescothick’s benefit year.

The idea for the game came from Marcus Threscothick himself, and players likely to take the field for Trescothick’s “Bangers” team (apparently a reference to his love of sausages!) include current and recent England cricketers such as Kevin Pietersen, Simon Jones and Ashley Giles and legends such as Ian Botham, Alec Stewart and Mike Atherton.

Somerset’s cricket ground will be transformed into a baseball diamond for the event, the Bangers’ uniforms will be modelled on those worn by the New York Mets, there will be a ceremonial first pitch and a celebrity rendering of “Take Me Out to the Ball Game” and hot dogs will be the featured refreshment.

While the seven-inning game will of course be played in a spirit of fun and entertainment, it’s bound to be a competitive affair as well, and GB Baseball Head Coach Stephan Rapaglia and Manager Alan Smith will be assembling the strongest squad they can to take on what will be a team loaded with world class cricketers.

Generously, Somerset Country Cricket Club has agreed to make their ground available at no charge the next day, Sunday, October 5, so that BSUK and the BBF can stage a major day-long youth clinic for young players from around the country, with instruction from GB baseball players and top coaches. The clinic is being organised by BSUK West Midlands Coach-in-Residence Will Lintern.

More from Commandant at Skyscrapercity:

The 1956 Olympic Exhibition: Australia vs USA, Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

1936 Olympic Exhibition: World Champions vs. US Olympics, Olympiastadion, Berlin, Germany (I could only find a few pics from the game)

More from Commandant :

Midwest Giants (34th Infantry Division) vs. Kentucky Wildcats (1st Armored Division), July 4, 1942, Windsor Park, Belfast, Northern Ireland

US Navy vs. US Marines, Clooney Park, Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
    1936 Olympic Exhibition: World Champions vs. US Olympics, Olympiastadion, Berlin, Germany (I could only find a few pics from the game)
    good find...

I'm well connected with some SERIOUS Liverpool FC fans both locally and some in Europe. I'm a big fan as well. I will send them the photo and I'm sure one of them will be able to recognize either Goodison or Anfield from the background of the photo... or perhaps eliminate both as a possible venue. If that fails, I'll contact Ringo Starr.
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Chelsea vs. Oxford Baseball, Stamford Bridge, Fulham, West London, England

London Stars vs. Utah, Stamford Bridge, Fulham, West London, England

Stamford Bridge, Fulham, West London, England
    Last edited by Capital City Goofball; 01-10-2011 at 06:31 AM.

Baseball at Lord’s Cricket Grounds between The Red Stockings and The Athletics

Baseball at the Oval

Canad Inns Stadium, Winnipeg, Manitoba

London Americans vs. London Canadians, Stamford Bridge, Fulham, West London, England

Last edited by Capital City Goofball; 01-10-2011 at 06:31 AM.

Franklin Field, Philadelphia, PA

According to this site, http://baseballinwartime.blogspot.co...-scotland.html, there was a a five inning game of baseball at Hampden Park in Glasgow. If anyone has any pics please post them.

From website http://www.sitnews.net/JuneAllen/Bas...o_gallery.html

Baseball game on tidal flats, circa 1905
    Photographer: Harriet Hunt
    Donor: Forest J. Hunt, THS 62.4.1.29
    Photograph courtesy Ketchikan Museums

Ketchikan Baseball Team and Grandstands, circa 1909
    Ketchikan ballteam and grandstands over near mouth of the creek- games played where Federal Bldgs now stand (had to stop when tied came in)

Lawrence Kubley at Bat [1912]
    Photographer: David Nicoll
    Donor: Lawrence Kubley - Photograph courtesy Ketchikan Museums

Ketchikan: Ballgame with Prince Rupert at low tide [1916]
    Forms part of: Frank and Frances Carpenter collection (Library of Congress).
    Gift: Mrs. W. Chapin Huntington; 1951.
    Historic Photo Courtesy of the Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division - Washington, D.C.

Can we count every game the Dodgers played at the LA Coleseum?

During the 81 strike I saw the Tigers play Eddie Feigner at the Silverdome. Does that count?

^ Do you have pics of the King and His Court at the Silverdome?

Quote Originally Posted by Commandante View Post
    ^ Do you have pics of the King and His Court at the Silverdome?
    Sorry, I don't

But the event was important enough to make Eddie Feiner's obituary in the Boston Globe

During the 1981 Major League Baseball strike, before 16,000 fans at the Silverdome in Pontiac, Mich., Mr. Feigner and his Court beat a nine-man team that included several major league players. He was 56 at the time.

Former major leaguer Jim Northrup said "no man alive" could hit him. "He just blew it by everybody."

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/obi...oftball_field/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast