Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rockin' Raul

Rockin' Raul

Is there any hotter hitter in major league baseball right now than Raul Ibanez? He's hit safely in 15 of his last 16 games and his power tear has put him in a tie for third place in the American League in home runs with 24. With three hits and two home runs in yesterday's game Ibanez has increased his career totals to 295 home runs and 1,954 hits. As the first half draws to a close he's put himself in a good position to reach the 300 home runs and 2,000 hits milestones this season. This would have been impossible if he had remained with the Yankees who played him only against righthanded pitching and platooned him with righty slugger Andruw Jones in 2012.
    If there are any American League selectees who are injured or withdraw from Tuesday's all-star game, considering his torrid bat, can you think of anyone who would be a better late replacement than Ibanez?
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 07-13-2013 at 08:00 AM.

Raul's on pace to shatter the mark for most homers in a season by a 40+ year old.

Ted Williams hit 29 at 41, while Barry Bonds hit 26 at 41 and 28 at 42.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Career numbers of 1,957 Hits and 295 home runs for Raul at the all-star break. With 24 home runs this season he's definitely on pace to rewrite the record books for 41-year- olds. He's hit safely in 17 of his last 18 games.
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 07-14-2013 at 03:37 PM.

I love this season by Raul Ibanez. They should have put him in the All-Star Game Midsummer Classic. Hey why not.

Today he tied Dan Wilson for number of doubles in team history (207). He will probably pass Alvin Davis (212) before the season is over.

He already passed Brett Boone (143) and looks like he will probably pass AD (160) for most homers in team history this season.

He is really ensconcing himself in the team career record books in a number of categories for the foreseeable future with this late-career flourish this season. It's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle1 View Post
    I love this season by Raul Ibanez. They should have put him in the All-Star Game Midsummer Classic. Hey why not.

Today he tied Dan Wilson for number of doubles in team history (207). He will probably pass Alvin Davis (212) before the season is over.

He already passed Brett Boone (143) and looks like he will probably pass AD (160) for most homers in team history this season.

He is really ensconcing himself in the team career record books in a number of categories for the foreseeable future with this late-career flourish this season. It's cool.
    The interruption of the all-star game break seems to have slowed Ibanez down a little bit because he's just 2 for 12 (.167) with no home runs in the three games he's played after the all-star game break. Hopefully, he's right himself and "Get On the good Foot" as the late, great , king of SOUL, James Brown once sang. THE Single season mark of MOST HOME RUNS FOR A 40+ YEAR OLD PLAYER - 29 home runs by Ted WilliAMS (1960) AND THE Career GOALS OF 300 HOME RUNS AND 2,000 HITS ARE STILL WITHIN REACH FOR RAUL.
    -philliesfiend55-

Ibanez has 295 career home runs (24 on the season) and 1964 hits (81 on the season) through August 1. Mariners have now played 2/3 of their schedule (108 already played out of a 162 game schedule).
    No home runs for the last there weeks. Went ice cold for awhile. starting to hit again getting some singles and doubles, but no dingers lately.
    At 41 you've gotta assume this could be be his final season. Only Jason Giambi is older than him among active non-pitchers. I'm Hoping Raul reaches 300 home runs & 2,000 Hits by the end of the season.
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 08-01-2013 at 07:44 PM.

Raul Ibanez through August 31:

Career Hits: 1980 (97 this season).
    Career Home Runs: 296 (25 this season).

Raul Ibanez through Sept. 10

Career Hirs: 1987 (104 hits this season).
    Career Home Runs: 298 (27 this season),

Raul Ibanez through Sept. 17:

Career HR: 299. - (28 this year).
    Career Hits: 1,990. - (107) this year).

Ibanez hit career home run #300 on Sept. 21. (Needs 8 hits for 2,000 Hits.)
    More than half of his 300 home runs have come as a Mariner (156 HR).
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 09-21-2013 at 10:15 PM.

--Number 300 was also number 29 to tie the record for HR by a hitter in his 40s. Hope he gets #30 and the 8 hits for 2,000. Then I'd like to see him retire on a high note .

Quote Originally Posted by leecemark View Post
    --Number 300 was also number 29 to tie the record for HR by a hitter in his 40s. Hope he gets #30 and the 8 hits for 2,000. Then I'd like to see him retire on a high note .
    I think Raul might be back in 2014. He has actually offered no indication to the media that he's leaning towards retiring.
    Would you retire if you could hit about 30 home runs and still hit a decent .250? He can still DH and occasionally play in the OF. Maybe he'd return and cut out OF play in '14 and only DH. With Michael Morse traded Seattl really doesn't have many other power threats other than Raul. He is at least a recognizable name and some young Seattle playersd have yet to make much of a name for themselves in the ig leagues. I would think Mariners management would want him back.
    The question is: Would he retire if he falls a few hits short of 2,000 by the end of the season? My answer is; I don't think so.

Oh I think he will want to play again and I think the Mariners will want him. I just wish it were otherwise. Raul is a great guy (or seems to be anyway). Unfortunately he is a terrible outfielder and can't hit LF pitching will almost certainly be even more true at age 42 next year. And while his dingers have been a bright spot in an otherwise dismal season its probably a bad bet to assume he can keep that up another season. This is his best season in several years and its seems much more likely its a last great effort than a level of production he can sustain.

Raul's splits between LH/RH pitchers are rather similar this season (AVG / OPS).

vs RHP: .249 / .814
    vs LHP: .250 / .821

While his power numbers are close against both pitchers (three times more PAs vs RHPs), he's gotten on base more often against LHPs.

What would concern me more is his large dropoff during the second half of the season - not surprising for a player his age.

1st Half: .267 / .892
    2nd Half: .219 / .684
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

I hope Raul Ibanez plays one more season for the Seattle Mariners baseball club (Seattle, Washington).

Not to be confused with the Seattle Mariners baseball club of Kalamazoo, Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by leecemark View Post
    Oh I think he will want to play again and I think the Mariners will want him. I just wish it were otherwise. Raul is a great guy (or seems to be anyway). Unfortunately he is a terrible outfielder and can't hit LF pitching will almost certainly be even more true at age 42 next year. And while his dingers have been a bright spot in an otherwise dismal season its probably a bad bet to assume he can keep that up another season. This is his best season in several years and its seems much more likely its a last great effort than a level of production he can sustain.
    Because Seattle is a bit of a needy franchise talent-wise and pretty much a no-name team except for King Felix and Raul, Mariners management should bring Ibanez back in 2014.
    If he doesn't get his 2,000th hit until next April he will be the 3rd oldest player at the time of their 2,000th hit. If he gets it this year he'll be 4th oldest. (See baseball-fever's Trivia Section; Topic - " Who was the oldest player at the time of their 2,000th hit" - Post #4 for a list of the oldest players at the time they reached 2,000 hits. . See post #14 of the same topic to see a list of players who missed 2,000 hits by 40 or less hits.

Quote Originally Posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
    Because Seattle is a bit of a needy franchise talent-wise and pretty much a no-name team except for King Felix and Raul, Mariners management should bring Ibanez back in 2014.
    If he doesn't get his 2,000th hit until next April he will be the 3rd oldest player at the time of their 2,000th hit. If he gets it this year he'll be 4th oldest. (See baseball-fever's Trivia Section; Topic - " Who was the oldest player at the time of their 2,000th hit" - Post #4 for a list of the oldest players at the time they reached 2,000 hits. . See post #14 of the same topic to see a list of players who missed 2,000 hits by 40 or less hits.
    Come on, Raul's a great guy by all accounts, but this year should be it for him in Seattle. He's struggled mightily after his surprising 1st half and it's time to move on. The M's don't need another season with 8 DHs on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle1 View Post
    I hope Raul Ibanez plays one more season for the Seattle Mariners baseball club (Seattle, Washington).
    You're Manhattan, too, now?
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    Come on, Raul's a great guy by all accounts, but this year should be it for him in Seattle. He's struggled mightily after his surprising 1st half and it's time to move on. The M's don't need another season with 8 DHs on the roster.
    All of Ibanez's public comments seem to indicate that he's hopeful of returning next year. The Mariners had one other player capable of hitting 30 home runs like Ibanez, Mike Morse, but they traded him away. They aren't exactly loaded with stars or even that many solid everyday major leaguers. I see no reason why Ibanez can't continue playing in 2014, and he probably prefers to stay in Seattle.
    After Ibanez demonstrated this year that he can still hit for power, I'm pretty sure the Yankees would want him back, with their short rightfield porch that is so appealing to lefthanded batters.
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 09-23-2013 at 02:01 PM.

All of Ibanez's public comments seem to indicate that he's hopeful of returning next year. The Mariners had one other player capable of hitting 30 home runs like Ibanez, Mike Morse, but they traded him away. They aren't exactly loaded with stars or even that many solid everyday major leaguers. I see no reason why Ibanez can't continue playing in 2014, and he probably prefers to stay in Seattle.
    After Ibanez demonstrated this year that he can still hit for power, I'm pretty sure the Yankees would want him back, with their short rightfield porch that is so appealing to lefthanded batters.
    The Mariners surpassed their 2012 HR total weeks ago, they need better players, not just HR hitters. They need OFers who can actually field their position and they need guys who can run the bases. Like I said, I like Raul, but he's not a big draw at the gate nor does he draw additional t.v. viewers. He didn't play yesterday, but the Mariners game vs the Angels was on at the same time as the Seahawks. In the Sea/Tac market the Seahawks drew a 38.3 rating with a 68 share. The Mariners drew a. 8 rating with a 2 share. The Mariners need better players period, and their 1985-1986 uniforms!

Raul Ibanez through Sept.26:

Career Home Runs: 300 (29 this season)
    Career Hits: 1993 (110 this season).

With just a three game series Vs. Oakland remaining on the schedule, Ibanez looks like he's lost his chance to reach 2,000 hits in 2013.
    The question now is - Will he continue his career next year?
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 09-26-2013 at 07:56 AM.

Raul Ibanez through Sept.26:

Career Home Runs: 300 (29 this season)
    Career Hits: 1993 (110 this season).

With just a three game series Vs. Oakland remaining on the schedule, Ibanez looks like he's lost his chace to reach 2,000 hits in 2013.
    The question now is - Will he continue his career next year?
    wow he has hit almost 10% of his career HRs in his age 41 season. third most in his career.
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

Raul Ibanez stats Through Sept. 29 (end of regular season).

Ibanez finishes the season with 300 career home runs (29 this season) and 1,993 lifetime hits.

A tired, slumping Ibanez had no hits at all in the final series against the Athletics. His season's batting average dropped to .242.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast