Thread: Bryce Harper's coil

Bryce Harper's coil

Just curious how you guys rate Bryce Harper's coil....Is his coil a good? That is, one that you would show a developing player so they can model their coil after it? I realize most of the swings in this video are home run derby swings, but I am only focusing on the coil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQQ5cZD8PgU

Coil = weight shift from back to front + hands to shoulder + slight inward turn

Harper does all those things, plus adds his personal style with his front knee turn.

Make sure you do the 3 fundamentals. Add the optional equipment if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by songtitle View Post
    Coil = weight shift from back to front + hands to shoulder + slight inward turn

Harper does all those things, plus adds his personal style with his front knee turn.

Make sure you do the 3 fundamentals. Add the optional equipment if you like.
    On a scale of 1 to 10 it is a 10. Model it for awhile and see if you get results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTHMq2hk4Jg

More recent swings of Bryce. Still outstanding coil. It would be easy to argue that's what makes him such an explosive hitter.

To me it looks like his hips get parallel with the 3b line during the coil. I can't recall any player, past or present whos done that. Scouts also say Bryce has more raw power at his age than anyone in the history of the game. Pretty strong correlation and something we can all learn from.

Quote Originally Posted by Switch_Hitter_29 View Post
    To me it looks like his hips get parallel with the 3b line during the coil. I can't recall any player, past or present whos done that.
    hmmmm

Now for some animated GIF fun

Last edited by songtitle; 01-24-2011 at 08:51 PM.

Thats a good call and demonstrates the correlation between coil and power/batspeed. Still give the edge to Harper.

However, Harpers swing varried a bit during the AFL. You can tell he is working on some things and getting adjusted to professional baseball. Personally I love his swing and think anything is possible for him if he can keep it together.

Blog Entries
    Great clips!
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (18561929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Nice thread....I have always thougth his "legwork" was good (is that an understatement or what).

Many may have already seen the attached video, but notice his front foot action in all these clips. It stays "closed" or square (what-ever your definition is) for as long as possible.

The main fact of this being, that with that much coil and unleashing of the coil, he makes a concerted effort not to open that front foot at toe touch or heel plant. When teaching your younger fella's this coil, keep this in mind.

Teaching major coil & explosion will (not maybe) cause the player to open the front side too early when they first start to try it. If trained properly to keep it closed, it will be easily overcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYRAaiXE1YI&NR=1

I don't like his upper body that much. I think its still a little long and draggy with his hands getting a little too far behind the back shoulder instead of staying there(and rotating with it) but this will change over time when he faces better pitching. however I think his lower body is really good. he gets a ton of power out of it.
    Last edited by dominik; 01-25-2011 at 06:03 AM.
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by JF/NEOH View Post
    Nice thread....I have always thougth his "legwork" was good (is that an understatement or what).

Many may have already seen the attached video, but notice his front foot action in all these clips. It stays "closed" or square (what-ever your definition is) for as long as possible.

The main fact of this being, that with that much coil and unleashing of the coil, he makes a concerted effort not to open that front foot at toe touch or heel plant. When teaching your younger fella's this coil, keep this in mind.

Teaching major coil & explosion will (not maybe) cause the player to open the front side too early when they first start to try it. If trained properly to keep it closed, it will be easily overcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYRAaiXE1YI&NR=1
    Amazing hes only 16 in that clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Switch_Hitter_29 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTHMq2hk4Jg

More recent swings of Bryce. Still outstanding coil. It would be easy to argue that's what makes him such an explosive hitter.

To me it looks like his hips get parallel with the 3b line during the coil. I can't recall any player, past or present whos done that. Scouts also say Bryce has more raw power at his age than anyone in the history of the game. Pretty strong correlation and something we can all learn from.
    This more recent swing looks a lot better as far as complexity. The main problem with his old swing was it had so many moving parts and solid contact requires great timing consistently. With this swing he steps into his swing .... not anything extra. He is a strong and big kid and no doubt will turn more heads than he already has.
    If there was ever a man born to be a hitter it was me. - Ted Williams
    "Didn't come up here to read. Came up here to hit." - Hank Aaron