Thread: Sparky's number is finally getting retired

Sparky's number is finally getting retired

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...honoringsparky

How the team treated him after his retirement was a sore spot for him. It's a reason why he's depicted in the HOF in a Reds cap. He had reconciled a bit the last few years, but it's a shame the honor has to come posthumously.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill JEDI

To be fair, he took the Reds to 5 post-season appearances in 9 years and won two championships, compared to 2 post-season appearances and one title with the Tigers. I'd say he was more recognized around baseball (but not Detroit, of course) as the manager of the Big Red Machine. But it's good to see him honored. I also wouldn't mind if the Tigers paid a little more attention to the legacy of Jack Morris.
    smoker

Quote Originally Posted by riverfrontier View Post
    To be fair, he took the Reds to 5 post-season appearances in 9 years and won two championships, compared to 2 post-season appearances and one title with the Tigers. I'd say he was more recognized around baseball (but not Detroit, of course) as the manager of the Big Red Machine. But it's good to see him honored. I also wouldn't mind if the Tigers paid a little more attention to the legacy of Jack Morris.
    Anderson wanted a better relationship with the Tigers. He was bitter over how his tenure in Cincinnati ended. But he became very discouraged toward the end of his managerial career, the team was going in a bad direction. And, once he did retire, they did not exactly make him feel welcome. Which is why he embraced his Reds tenure by the time he was elected to the HOF. It is Detroit's loss how that turned out.

He was so active around the Detroit area the last few years, it was really good to see. He was almost like Bob Feller in terms of autograph appearances.

Morris definiitely takes a backseat on the need to be recognized list to Whitaker and Trammell and probably local product Kirk Gibson. And Bill Freehan.
    Robin Bill JEDI

Blog Entries
    If the number is retired, does he get statue out in LF? Every other retired number has a statue. I suggest he gets a statue with his arm outstretched to receive a baseball as in a pitching change.

Quote Originally Posted by tigers527 View Post
    If the number is retired, does he get statue out in LF? Every other retired number has a statue. I suggest he gets a statue with his arm outstretched to receive a baseball as in a pitching change.
    Either that, or doing his little shuffle walk around home plate as he was arguing with an umpire.
    Robin Bill JEDI

I don't disagree about Tram or Lou or Freehan, who were all great, but I consider Jack Morris a tiny bit more of a stand out at his position than the others. The other three are revered by the fans, if not the Tigers organization, but it kind of feels like Jack Morris has been forgotten by everybody.

It could be a win-win situation though. If Sparky's statue would be rendered with his arm outstretched to make a pitching change, you could put Jack Morris in bronze beside him, trying to talk him out of it.
    smoker

I don't disagree about Tram or Lou or Freehan, who were all great, but I consider Jack Morris a tiny bit more of a stand out at his position than the others. The other three are revered by the fans, if not the Tigers organization, but it kind of feels like Jack Morris has been forgotten by everybody.

It could be a win-win situation though. If Sparky's statue would be rendered with his arm outstretched to make a pitching change, you could put Jack Morris in bronze beside him, trying to talk him out of it.
    Morris was a better pitcher than Tram as a shortstop, Whitaker as a second baseman or Freehan as a catcher?

Unlike the other three, Morris didn't leave the team citing tax and alimony issues that wouldn't be an issue playing for the rival Blue Jays. I guess those issues just went away when the hometown Twins came calling. His greatest moment came away from Detroit. It's easy to see why he has taken a backseat.

Morris was Sparky's guy. If that were what they would do for the monument, it's not a bad choice.
    Robin Bill JEDI

Maybe I'm a bit too nostalgic for Jack Morris. Perhaps. But Lou and Tram are known much more in tandem than as individual stars. They wound up with better than average stats for their respective positions, collectively had a few individual years (Tram '87) as the uncontested best, but....well...they basically owe a lot of their legacy to each other. Games played together is their meat and potatoes.

Bill Freehan, and Mickey Lolich too, are a bit before I followed the Tigers, so I plead the fifth on them. Of course I'm aware of who they are and what they did, but I was too young to know much about anything concerning them in their prime. Lolich was a Met or a Padre to me as a kid.

Anyway, you've probably seen this.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLVAT...eature=related
    smoker

Maybe I'm a bit too nostalgic for Jack Morris. Perhaps. But Lou and Tram are known much more in tandem than as individual stars. They wound up with better than average stats for their respective positions, collectively had a few individual years (Tram '87) as the uncontested best, but....well...they basically owe a lot of their legacy to each other. Games played together is their meat and potatoes.

Bill Freehan, and Mickey Lolich too, are a bit before I followed the Tigers, so I plead the fifth on them. Of course I'm aware of who they are and what they did, but I was too young to know much about anything concerning them in their prime. Lolich was a Met or a Padre to me as a kid.

Anyway, you've probably seen this.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLVAT...eature=related

I have not seen that, no. Where was that filmed?

I think Morris will get his due eventually. Hank Greenberg and Willie Horton weren't career Tigers. Neither was Ty Cobb, for that matter. He is the winningest Tigers pitcher and still has an area presence. I hope they don't wait 40 years to honor the recent greats like they did with Greenberg and Gehringer.
    Robin Bill JEDI

I'm guessing that was some kind of '84 Tiger reunion in 2009. Sparky mentions bringing everybody back together after 25 years, and I see Trammell and what looks like Darrell Evans in the background.
    smoker

I'm guessing that was some kind of '84 Tiger reunion in 2009. Sparky mentions bringing everybody back together after 25 years, and I see Trammell and what looks like Darrell Evans in the background.
    Ah, I recall reading about that. I think it was at the Novi Convention center, but I could be wrong.
    Robin Bill JEDI