Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Season Thread

Yeah, a good birthday win!

I am very concerned about the anemic offense, though. Last or nearly last in the NL in runs, HR, RBI, BB, OPS, and AVG. The team is NOT going to pitch its way to a pennant, so this type of offensive production simply won't cut it, and the team knows this is true. The question is, will anything be done, especially NOW that the Dodgers are officially being operated by MLB. As I have posted before, when the team gets little to no power production from the INF corners and LF, it's tough to compete with inconsistent pitching (from both SP and CL) and injuries popping up seemingly every week. Ugh is about all I have to say.

Time will tell if the players can stay focused as the circus music cranks up: http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/ne...ews_la&c_id=la. I just don't see an MLB-run club making too many deals, and IMO, it's time for some moves at 1B and 3B. I do love Loney and Blake, but they're better suited for teams that have boppers at other positions, which the Dodgers obviously do not have. In its current form, the Dodger lineup wins consistently only when the pitching and defense stay within a small margin for error. A great concept and goal, but not realistic considering the personnel at Mattingly's disposal.

And to wrap things up, GOOD news from down on the farm: http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/n...vkey=news_milb. Here's hoping Ely can make it back to LA soon and be succesful at the MLB level!
    "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

"My name is Yasiel Puig. I am from Cuba. I am 21 years old. Thank you."

Thank you Kenley Jansen for getting Chad out of a deep hole in the 7th. Now Kemp gets his 1st hit of the game but is stranded. I am not counting the chickens yet, they have given up bigger leads in late innings.
    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

3 more chickens came to roost in the 9th. Statistically a very positive batting performance but the Cubs pitching was a major factor. I think there 17 three ball at bats from the Cubs pitchers. Undoubtably a confidence builder for the offense and they did not have to rely on Kemp.

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Bat Boy: "I'm not picking it up. I'll get burned. You pick it up."
    Clubhouse Manager: "Well I'm not touching it either. You're expendable, you pick it up."
    Bat Boy: "No way, that thing is on fire. And I'm just doing this for my college transcript, so back off me. Nevermind, here he comes."
    Kemp: "Hey guys, what's up. Is that my bat on the ground?"
    Last edited by bhss89; 04-23-2011 at 11:49 AM.
    "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

Quade is apparently quite the whiny baby: http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/ne...ook_la&c_id=la

What a knob. Why the Hades would Mattingly run Ellis? It was obviously a mix-up.

Mr. Quade: Baseball is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is. Get over it, get on with it. Or get outta pro ball.

Baby.

Matt Kemp loves 2-0 sliders!
    Last edited by bhss89; 04-23-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bhss89 View Post
    Quade is apparently quite the whiny baby: http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/ne...ook_la&c_id=la

What a knob. Why the Hades would Mattingly run Ellis? It was obviously a mix-up.

Mr. Quade: Baseball is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is. Get over it, get on with it. Or get outta pro ball.

Baby.
    I thought the idea of baseball was to win, not to go easy on the other team?? Quade needs to check the Dodger's record from last year. I recall at least 2 games where they had 9 runs scored against them in the 9th inning to throw away games (Yankees & Phillies). Rather than whinge about an attempted stolen base, maybe he should be looking at his pitchers in that game.

Speaking of pitchers, the Dodgers need to look in our own backyard after today, when it comes to pitching. An 8-5 lead blown!!

Yeah, no lead seems safe. Really disappointed in Guerrier. And I thought that perhaps Lilly could have been pulled sooner, but I'm sure Mattingly and Honeycutt had their reasons for sticking with him.
    Off to my Cub-fan in-laws after church today for Easter dinner. Gonna be rough. I hope to avoid talking too much by gorging on deviled eggs.

Good luck with your Cub family. Hopefully the Dodgers can win today so you can enjoy your devilled eggs with a smile on the dial. A happy and blessed Easter to you and yours, and all Dodgers and baseball fans.

I am sure you enjoyed your Easter dinner bhss.

Some excellent and exciting outfield defense tonight. Lilly was saved by some double plays, the batting saved by 2 solo HRs, the bullpen tried hard to blow it. Some enjoyable moments, some frustrating moments, but a win is a win.

"The wheels on the bus are falling off, falling off, falling off, the wheels on the bus are falling off, all homestand long."

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/ne...ews_la&c_id=la

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/ne...ews_la&c_id=la

At least now Broxton has an excuse for pitching like a fairy.
    Last edited by bhss89; 05-05-2011 at 04:25 AM.

now there is talk that if payroll cannot be met that players can file and become free agents right away.
    this historic team is in such a mess right now.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox_ironman View Post
    now there is talk that if payroll cannot be met that players can file and become free agents right away.
    Do you have a quote or site to back this up? That would be scarier than Broxton pitching with the bases loaded and one out!

Quote Originally Posted by redsox_ironman View Post
    I read the same thing but also read that the MLB will cover any shortfall. I don't have a quote because it was a short footnote in the LV Review Journal.

About 15 miles East of Blue Heaven on Earth, Dodger Stadium
    Jamey Carroll has been doing a great job covering for Furcal. "El pequeno gigante" (the little giant) is what Jaime Jarrin calls him.

The bullpen is bull$&@#. 4 runs is never enough when the starter goes out. They were lucky to get out of this one.

Same story with pen today, 5.25.11: Cannot pitch in pressure spots. Cannot put the defense in a position to "win the inning". I will be eternally optimistic (and I suppose also naive), but it's gonna be a looooong summer.

Raffy and Blake are back, and here's hoping they'll both untrack and get goin'. Still bullpen by committee (or is it drawing straws) at this point, and I am not even certain that once Broxton is back to 100% that he is the CL answer. How great would it be if De La Rosa could grow up in a hurry and assume the CL role?!? Not likely, though. Just looks like it will certainly be a grinding season for Dodgers fans. Unfortunate that there is no potential for any impact trades to be made this season. As I am sure we all are, I am really anxious for a new owner to step up and take the reins. I am ready for the PRIDE to be put back into the organization.

As bad as the bullpen is they will always struggle when the offense cannot give them something to work with. We know they will bleed late runs but that wouldn't be as bad if the offense could put some scores on the board. I don't think even Blake and Furcal can help arrest this horrible slump. They are terrible all round tonight. It is frustrating to get a win then fall back into the slump.

Minor fire breaks out at Dodger Stadium . . .

. . . and clearly it was not caused by the Dodgers' bats.

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/ne...ook_la&c_id=la

The lead in on the team site says it all: "listless defeat"

Jekyll and Hyde season continues . . .

Man, Kershaw was dynamite last night!

I am pi$$ed tonight.
    Those cretins at MLB Network have blacked out the Dodgers game in Southern Nevada - for heavens sake we are 280 miles plus from Dodger Stadium. Do they expect people from that distance to travel to the games?? They are insulting fans non-MLB team cities with their greedy, no purpose, blackouts!
    As I type I notice the Blues are 5-1 up in the 5th!!
    MLB Network, you suck!!

I am flabbergasted!!!! What happened in Cincinatti today? Was I watching the Dodgers or was this an "I wish" movie/documentary? I chastise myself as he of little faith, maybe justifiably. At 2-7 after 7, the weakened bullpen at the hill and the ineffective offense from the last 2 games, my reaction was 'here we go again'. But like a genuine Dodger fan I kept watching. Then current Dodger baseball was turned upside down. The Tin Man was exorcised, the offense found some heart. Killer Kemp to the rescue, a grand slam, woohoo!! But the scores were still level and they were digging deep into the pen. I was convinced the Reds would blow them away in the 9th (slaps own face) but the heart was still there. Thru 10 they go, still alive. Not knowing the depth of Reds pitching I was still thinking it was only a matter of time. I had not counted on Reds pitcher, Fisher, and the continued show of heart at the plate. I was not surprised that Guerra was given the bat, the pen was threadbare by now. Fisher walks him and there is still life. 4 runs late we head to the bottom of the 11th. Am I feeling good? Not on your life, this is the Dodgers and can find many ways to turn a certain win into a loss. Guerra throwing wild pitches, runners getting on base, the heart of the Reds order coming up......it was time for palpitations. Troncoso called up, more base hits, tying run at the plate. Who was there to save them.....killer Kemp, with a regulation catch, game over. I let out a huge sigh, asked my wife if what I just witnessed was real life and then sat back and savored this game. Way to go Blues, now keep it up!!

Matt Kemp.

That is all.
    No one can make you
    Do what they want to
    You know you're stronger
    Than the lies
    That they tell you

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast