Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Season Thread

kemp and kershaw! i havent been this enamored with dodger players since raul mondesi

Keeping in mind that the stupidity of McCourt in the past will continue to hurt the Dodgers until a new owner is found, any type of trade this season involving the Dodgers throwing in cash is out of the question. That said, if the youngsters continue to contribute in a positive way as needed, and the team can finally get fully healthy, maybe the Dodgers can pounce on the Gnats when they have a tough stretch (and every team does so at some point). Maybe a big trade won't be needed and the team can remain strong from within? (Although a truly consistent CL would help a ton). True fanatics, keep believin'! It's finally getting to the point to where I can be proud of the effort our team gives, day in and day out.

GO DODGERS!
    "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

"My name is Yasiel Puig. I am from Cuba. I am 21 years old. Thank you."

What an abysmal effort from the mound. As previously mentioned this Dodger team knows how to throw away winnable games, but walking 2 runs with nobody out is pathetic.
    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/ml...=recap&c_id=la

Some interesting comments made following this article. IMO, Mattingly's job, like all managers, is to plug in the players in the right spots. At times, this is determined by "feeling", other times by stat match-ups. Nevertheless, walking hitters from the 7-8-9 slots is akin to a position player not being able to put down a bunt or a pitcher not being able to execute a pick-off throw. It is basic stuff, stuff that pitchers are very well-paid to do. Yes, maybe pulling Kershaw for a PH would have been a better choice, especially in hindsight when we watched him have to run the bases when already tired.

Nevertheless, it is time for someone other than Kershaw, C-Bill, Kemp, Ethier, and Carroll to take a "big boy" approach to the game on a day-to-day basis! The "poor me" attitude that is AGAIN permeating the team is lousy. NO, you're not going to get any free agent help this season, but how 'bout working hard to prove everyone wrong? How 'bout playing with some pride and being a professional?

Get over it (ownership is NOT going to help you) and get on with it (winning in spite of McCourt being a jackwipe).

GO DODGERS!
    "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

Sad, but true.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/06/09/dod...tml?&hpt=hp_c2

"Disenchanted" is a great way to put it . . .

McCourt :

The Dodgers have a history of sellouts or near sellouts regardless if they were winning or not so this year is obvious proof of disenchantment, not with the team, but with McCourt and the financial situation. The sooner the team is sold the better. It is strange that public ownership is banned, but then MLB has some strange regulations and restrictions. Maybe some entrepreneurial fans could form a company with shares available to any fan who wants in and buy the team as a company?? Is that feasible?
    This season is still salvageable as far as the team goes.....but a turnaround is needed soon.....but it can only get better with new, acceptable owners.

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Is a 6 run lead enough in the 8th Probably not!!

They tried hard to lose again but someone forgot to tell Gwynn! I was convinced they would blow it after two 1&2 counts got on base in the 9th.

So Vin thinks a 6 run lead is comfortable with three innings left for the Rockies? Vin, have you been asleep during the last 3 games??

Like he said just now, "Hold on to your hats, it's a two-run game!"
    No one can make you
    Do what they want to
    You know you're stronger
    Than the lies
    That they tell you

Phew!!!! Please Vin, don't try to put the 'commontator's curse' on the team with statements like that.
    Now, boys on blue, are you able to keep the momentum. Think WWWW.

And here we go again. Seems the pitching cannot get past 6 innings, the bull pen comes out and the bleeding starts. 2 errors are suddenly 4 runs!

About 15 miles East of Blue Heaven on Earth, Dodger Stadium
    They deflated me with that loss last night but I'll be back at the stadium tonight. I have not missed a game yet. Win or lose, I rather be at Dodger Stadium, my home away from home.
    Let's Go Kershaw! I love to watch him pitch! hopefully he goes deeper into the game. I felt sorry for Kuroda-san. that was 5 games in a row that he has lost. He has such a poor run support and it was not his fault the defense failed him.

The 6th inning meltdown strikes again! Can we find a pitcher who can hold it together for 6 or more innings. The offense is making Brett Myers look like a champion while the Dodger bullpen remains horrible. Hawkesworth was woeful. A 9th inning 2 run HR to Ethier but too little too late.

They survived the 6th inning......but wait a minute, the wound opened in the 5th tonight and they bled profusely. (Maybe it was Vin's fault, with de la Rosa falling apart as soon as Vin gave him a wrap). There is a major problem with the pitching in this team. Is it the pitchers or maybe the coaching? It seems Mattingly is going out to the mound much more than Honeycutt?
    Apart from the pitching woes the team cannot seem to bat either. It is getting very hard to watch this underachieving team at the moment.

Thumbs up

It's about time. Happy Fathers Day to all dads, and thank you Dodgers for at least giving all the Dads a little gift.

Happy belated Father's day to all here. We tried to go to the field to play catch but the lines to get into the stadium after the game were horrible. Still, getting the W was the most important thing. We should have not tried to go to the field and instead I should have wished Vin Scully a Happy Father's day. Oh well, missed the opportunity.
    My friend Lorena and I watched the game and voted for Matt Kemp all thru the game. Dodgers should have some computers to vote there but no, we had to do it the old fahsion way. Kemp should go to the All-Star.
    VOTE for Matt Kemp!!!

Yeah, I am going to do some mass voting for Kemp again today. I have assigned shifts to my kids - vote for 10 minutes and then rotate so they can avoid carpal tunnel!

Kershaw was dynamite last night! Wish I could've watched the game here in IN, but I will still take the result. Brox starts rehab assignment today, so here's hoping he will come back 100% healthy and nothing less. I agree with a post I read following a Dodgers.com article: Stay away until 100% healthy! Not a knock on Brox, but I would love to see him get back to "light's out" status. IF the Dodgers can start winning the close ones, they can begin climbing back toward the playoff picture.

Lastly, it was great to watch the interview with Mattingly on Dodgers.com in which he says the off-field bologna is not really a big deal in the clubhouse. As it should be on a well-managed team! And I believe, all things considered, that Mattingly is doing a fine job. Hopefully the team will continue to grind it out until everyone is healthy, and then, you never know.

From the Dodgers historian Mark Langill:

"And we just heard from the Elias Sports Bureau that Kershaw became the first Dodger starting pitcher to strike out the side in order in the ninth inning since Sandy Koufax’s perfect game against the Cubs on 9/9/65. "

Yippy Skippy!!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6691219

Hells to the Yeah! I am sure it is a small chance, but boy would that new owner be fun!

Perhaps Rubby isn't quite ready? I understand that it is "all hands on deck" right now, but it is a tough thing to watch when we are trying to compete with less than a full MLB roster. On a happier note, KEEP VOTING FOR KEMP!

Go Dodgers!!

Apart from an occasional great game like Kershaw against the Tigers, all the pitchers seem to be struggling and they tend to fold around the 5th or 6th inning. How many times have we seen batters behind 0-2 only to be walked or get to 3-2 and get on base. The pitchers just can't seem to put the batters away on a consistent basis, having to make too many pitchers early in the games. And there is no consistency in offense, Kemp excluded. Too many runners LOB and hitting into too many hits into double plays. And as I type this Kemp has been thrown out of the game bottom 5th, already down 0-2. And the Dodgers must be the worst team in the MLB for giving up 2 out runs, like Kuo just did with Wells just hitting a 3 run two out HR
    Last edited by DownUnderDodger; 06-25-2011 at 03:43 PM.

Now I know why they don't win too often.....hit a walkoff winner and the rest of the team beats the crap out of you. Either that, or they just don't like Tony Gwynn!!
    Mind you, Gordon was out twice in scoring the winning run! And I don't like the pinch hitter rule, but will accept it all today.
    Thankfully they avoided a sweep against the Angels. Kershaw was terrific but I thought he had blown it when Wells hit that 2 out HR in the 9th.

The Dodgers beat the Twins 15-0 tonight.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    The Dodgers beat the Twins 15-0 tonight.
    Beautiful, just gorgeous . . . http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/ml...=recap&c_id=la

Okay, so let's keep the Big 'Mo rollin' right through the break. Amazing how focused the team is right now considering all the bologna that is going on around them.

GO DODGERS!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast