X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DownUnderDodger
    Learning all the time.
    • Aug 2002

:gtWe were fortunate to get the game on TV in Australia and it was a great start for the Dodgers. Kershaw was excellent and even though Lincecum went well enough for the Gnats the Blues took advantage of an error and that was the turning point of the game.
    :gt
    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

• bhss89
      The hips drive the swing
      • Mar 2004

Broxton pitches like the Broxton of old . . . the team takes advantage of Gnat errors . . . good win.

Would be nice if more than TWO Dodger fans would contribute to this thread.
      "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

"My name is Yasiel Puig. I am from Cuba. I am 21 years old. Thank you."

Comment

• DownUnderDodger
        Learning all the time.
        • Aug 2002

How was Billingsley yesterday? I noted the 3 conceded runs we off one hit, but how was his pitching overall? And how did Broxton do in his closing innings?

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

• DownUnderDodger
          Learning all the time.
          • Aug 2002

Are we heading for another frustrating season of many hits minimal runs. 9 hits and none converted into runs is not a good sign! :noidea

Comment

• DownUnderDodger
            Learning all the time.
            • Aug 2002

Today was a lot better, 7 runs from 9 hits, but still 11 LOB. Is the relief pitching a problem?

Comment

• bhss89
              The hips drive the swing
              • Mar 2004

Continuing with a theme? 5 hits and 0 runs scored at Coors is not good. I, for one, am truly ready to see Loney go away. Really sad that the team gets basically nothing in HR/RBI department from the infield corners. Not gonna win any pennants that way. Try again tomorrow . . .
              "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

Comment

• bhss89
                The hips drive the swing
                • Mar 2004

Down Under: Perhaps we'll set a record if WE are the only ones to post on this thread for 162 games?! The Dodgers board has <sadly> become lame.

Comment

• DownUnderDodger
                  Learning all the time.
                  • Aug 2002

Hopefully some more fans will come out of the woodwork as the season progresses.

Comment

• bhss89
                    The hips drive the swing
                    • Mar 2004

So far, the team looks WAY too much like the '10 version. No fight, no scrappiness, no willingness to grind it out. To be blunt, if the entire team would compete with the attitude and effort of Jamey Carroll or Aaron Miles, the team as a whole would be better off. Both of those guys are "grinders" and are in MLB, IMO, due to their work ethic and refusal to be told, "You're going to fail." Here's hoping that Mattingly will rally the team and instill some fire in the team's approach. I certainly realize that having Furcal, Padillo, Gibbons, and Kuo on the DL is tough stuff, but when will the Dodgers become the team that will overcome and just "find a way to win?" Few, if any, baseball minds have chosen the Dodgers to win the NL West, so let's hope the team decides to prove them all wrong.
                    As I post the Dodgers are beating Hudson and the Braves 4-0, so perhaps this is the beginning of a positive streak.

Comment

• DownUnderDodger
                      Learning all the time.
                      • Aug 2002

I caught tonight's 6-1 win with Garland's complete game and some good batting from Ethier and Uribe. A good 50th birthday gift for Mattingly. They need more performances like tonight!

Comment

• bhss89
                        The hips drive the swing
                        • Mar 2004

Yeah, a good birthday win!

I am very concerned about the anemic offense, though. Last or nearly last in the NL in runs, HR, RBI, BB, OPS, and AVG. The team is NOT going to pitch its way to a pennant, so this type of offensive production simply won't cut it, and the team knows this is true. The question is, will anything be done, especially NOW that the Dodgers are officially being operated by MLB. As I have posted before, when the team gets little to no power production from the INF corners and LF, it's tough to compete with inconsistent pitching (from both SP and CL) and injuries popping up seemingly every week. Ugh is about all I have to say.

Time will tell if the players can stay focused as the circus music cranks up: http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/ne...ews_la&c_id=la. I just don't see an MLB-run club making too many deals, and IMO, it's time for some moves at 1B and 3B. I do love Loney and Blake, but they're better suited for teams that have boppers at other positions, which the Dodgers obviously do not have. In its current form, the Dodger lineup wins consistently only when the pitching and defense stay within a small margin for error. A great concept and goal, but not realistic considering the personnel at Mattingly's disposal.

And to wrap things up, GOOD news from down on the farm: http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/n...vkey=news_milb. Here's hoping Ely can make it back to LA soon and be succesful at the MLB level!

Comment

• DownUnderDodger
                          Learning all the time.
                          • Aug 2002

Thank you Kenley Jansen for getting Chad out of a deep hole in the 7th. Now Kemp gets his 1st hit of the game but is stranded. I am not counting the chickens yet, they have given up bigger leads in late innings.

Comment

• DownUnderDodger
                            Learning all the time.
                            • Aug 2002

3 more chickens came to roost in the 9th. Statistically a very positive batting performance but the Cubs pitching was a major factor. I think there 17 three ball at bats from the Cubs pitchers. Undoubtably a confidence builder for the offense and they did not have to rely on Kemp.

Comment

• bhss89
                              The hips drive the swing
                              • Mar 2004

Bat Boy: "I'm not picking it up. I'll get burned. You pick it up."
                              Clubhouse Manager: "Well I'm not touching it either. You're expendable, you pick it up."
                              Bat Boy: "No way, that thing is on fire. And I'm just doing this for my college transcript, so back off me. Nevermind, here he comes."
                              Kemp: "Hey guys, what's up. Is that my bat on the ground?"
                              Last edited by bhss89; 04-23-2011, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• bhss89
                                The hips drive the swing
                                • Mar 2004

Quade is apparently quite the whiny baby: http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/ne...ook_la&c_id=la

What a knob. Why the Hades would Mattingly run Ellis? It was obviously a mix-up.

Mr. Quade: Baseball is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is. Get over it, get on with it. Or get outta pro ball.

Baby.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X