• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bhss89
    The hips drive the swing
    • Mar 2004

2011 Season Thread

I think these two articles from dodgers.com are a good way to begin a thread for the upcoming '11 season: What better way to gauge the success of the Dodgers than for fans to look to Kemp, Loney, and Ethier to all three improve and become the true core of the team.

Kemp in better shape, and hopefully having a clearer focus: http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/ne...ews_la&c_id=la

Ethier & Loney ready to prove themselves: http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/ne...ews_la&c_id=la

I also like the first post that follows the Ethier/Loney article as it points out the fact that the Dodgers' SPs need to work deeper into games to help out the pen. Logical and obvious, but a great point anyway.

"Hope spring eternal" in spring training! GO DODGERS!

I smell baseball!
    "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

"My name is Yasiel Puig. I am from Cuba. I am 21 years old. Thank you."
  • bhss89
    The hips drive the swing
    • Mar 2004

So . . . if the Dodgers played today . . .

1. Furcal (6)
    2. Uribe (4)
    3. Ethier (9)
    4. Kemp (8)
    5. Loney (3)
    6. Blake (5)
    7. Gibbons (7)
    8. Barajas (2)
    9. Kershaw (1)

Your thoughts on a line up?

I like Gibbons in LF - I believe he can do the job defensively and hit 15-20 HR. That said, I do hope that Gwynn and Paul get serious looks as well.
    "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

Comment

• bhss89
      The hips drive the swing
      • Mar 2004

I'm sure most of you read Dodger Thoughts regularly, but if not, here's the link to the current page: http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/dodger-thoughts

This current edition of DT is particularly good because it contains lots of juicy Spring Training info.

Comment

• DownUnderDodger
        Learning all the time.
        • Aug 2002

Hi.

I have been mia for quite some time, having relocated to Las Vegas last year and having lots to do to keep me occupied. I hope to get involved again as the season progresses.
        "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

• bhss89
          The hips drive the swing
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DownUnderDodger View Post
          Hi.

I have been mia for quite some time, having relocated to Las Vegas last year and having lots to do to keep me occupied. I hope to get involved again as the season progresses.
          Viva Las Vegas! Welcome to the USA, DownUnder.

Here's hoping the Dodgers can ride the 2011 roller coaster and still make the playoffs!

Comment

• DownUnderDodger
            Learning all the time.
            • Aug 2002

Will Furcal bring his shiny new red fire engine to the games? It was an intriguing but wonderful request that he made to be given the fire engine which will go to his village in DR along with appropriate training to drive and use it for the local firemen.
            I read that Broxton was ready to put the 2nd half of last season behind him and has been nominated as the closer for the season. Hopefully he will stand up and be counted again.

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

• DownUnderDodger
              Learning all the time.
              • Aug 2002

Seems Padilla will be out for an extended period. That will put a dent in the pitching!

Comment

• bhss89
                The hips drive the swing
                • Mar 2004

Seems Padilla will be out for an extended period. That will put a dent in the pitching!
                It could, but I am excited about the possibilities given to Guerrier, Hawksworth, and Jansen. I think that Garland would have won out for the SP #5 spot anyway, so Padilla would have been in the pen. Of the three, Guerrier has the best shot to contribute IMO, but Hawksworth was a very good middle guy for StL in '09, so it would be great to see him repeat that effort. And Jansen, a converted catcher who throws "Broxton-plus" fastballs, could just be the future CL.
                So, while the "eccentric" Padilla will be missed while he rehabs, I think the open door will create healthy competition, which I believe Mattingly relishes whenever he can get it.
                GO DODGERS!
                Last edited by bhss89; 03-07-2011, 03:41 AM.

Comment

• bhss89
                  The hips drive the swing
                  • Mar 2004

Like Sands Through the Hour Glass . . .

And speaking of healthy competition during Spring Training, I believe the solid start for Jerry Sands only stands to benefit Loney once the gets healthy and is getting regular games. I realize Sands monster '10 season was split hi-A/AA, but it is cool to read that some scouts feel he'll be the Dodgers' regular on one fo the corner spots one day, with plus power and average-plus defense.
                  Now . . . c'mon Loney, get healthy and get workin'!

The official website of the Los Angeles Dodgers with the most up-to-date information on scores, schedule, stats, tickets, and team news.

From Baseball America in late June last year:
                  Jerry Sands, 1b/of, Dodgers (Double-A Chattanooga)

When Sands spent the season's first three months tearing up the low Class A Midwest League, it was easy to be skeptical of a 22-year-old beating up on younger competition. While 123 plate appearances is a small sample size, what Sands is doing after skipping a level to go to Double-A is impressive. Sands went 3-for-4 with two home runs, giving him 11 in 29 Double-A games and 29 in 98 games on the year. Sands has made enough of an impression on some scouts to project him as a major league regular with plus power and solid defense at either first base or a corner outfield position.

Comment

• bhss89
                    The hips drive the swing
                    • Mar 2004

Hooray, LIVE Dodgers baseball versus Cubs on WGN in 45 minutes!

On a related note, are there ANY BBF posters in AZ for Dodgers' Spring Training? How great it would be to have a daily update.

crzblue, DownUnderDodger, you're both living "out west" - a two-week trip to Camelback Ranch is in your financial/vacation time budgets, right?!? :hyper:

Comment

• DownUnderDodger
                      Learning all the time.
                      • Aug 2002

I caught some of the Dodgers v Angels before heading back down under, and the pitching looked good, but they were playing 3rd stringers from the Angels. Jansen seemed a touch erratic but I do believe he has a future as a reliever and maybe even a closer. Is he starter material down the track?

Comment

• bhss89
                        The hips drive the swing
                        • Mar 2004

I caught some of the Dodgers v Angels before heading back down under, and the pitching looked good, but they were playing 3rd stringers from the Angels. Jansen seemed a touch erratic but I do believe he has a future as a reliever and maybe even a closer. Is he starter material down the track?
                        I don't know for certain, but I believe Jansen will stay as a reliever. He seems to me as a guy who is busy learning a second pitch to complement his hard fastball, so he's 1 or 2 pitches away from being a SP.
                        I thought C-Bill looked like his consistent self yesterday, once he settled in. Too bad the game that gets TV time featured so few regulars, but it was nice to see several of the youngsters. Apparently Sellers was a last-minute replacement from Castro, so you can hardly blame him for the 2-error play early!

Comment

• bhss89
                          The hips drive the swing
                          • Mar 2004

It's worth everyone's time to go to dodgers.com NOW to see Loney modeling a Dodger's Snuggie. Go . . . NOW . . . and gaze at the wide wonder.

On another note, I went with my family to visit the Louisville Slugger factory and museum today. They were actually making a batch of bats for Ethier while we were touring the factory. I am happy to post that hey smelled of doubles and RBIs . . .

Comment

• bhss89
                            The hips drive the swing
                            • Mar 2004

Well, here we go . . . great pitching match-up tonight on the national stage. I hope Kershaw sticks it to the Gnats! It will be nice when the Dodgers get off to a solid start this season (positive thoughts lead to positive outcomes!)

Here is a nice little article about Don Mattingly from my local paper: http://www.courierpress.com/news/201...anaging-debut/

Comment

• bhss89
                              The hips drive the swing
                              • Mar 2004

IMO . . .

Good: Kershaw, aggressiveness on the bases, Kemp's energy level
                              Bad: Broxton gets the job done, but is scary as usual. Maybe it's time for him to realize that his slider is now inconsistent to the point that opposing hitters can sit on his fastball. Burrell obviously knew that fact.

I found the comments from Hershiser and Valentine about the timing of Ethier's announcement (may want out of Dodger Blue after '11) dead on. Not the time or place (publicly). "'Dre" may need to worry less about dining (does he even still write that blog?) and more about growing up. These are the "young" Dodgers any longer - mature a bit and start winning.

If we can win this series then it will be time to go from a grin to a smile.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X