X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SABRSusan
    • Nov 2008

First woman in the majors a coach?

Could it happen? The Indians (and tomorrow the A's) are having a woman throw BP during Spring Training. The pitcher, Justine Siegal, has also been a coach for a men's collegiate team for the past four years and played baseball all her life on men's teams.

Couple good articles in the NYTimes and MLB.com.

What do you think?
  • Bigfoot 88
    Go Bravos!
    • Dec 2010

No
    Anybody can throw bullpen
    Chop! Chop! Chop!

Comment

• Mattingly
      Yankee fan & proud of it!
      • Feb 2003

Susan, on which baseball teams has Justine both coached and played? Which positions for both?

If Justine were to be a coach, or would it be on the field (if so, which position?), or in the bullpen?
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• sandlot
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by SABRSusan View Post
        Could it happen? The Indians (and tomorrow the A's) are having a woman throw BP during Spring Training. The pitcher, Justine Siegal, has also been a coach for a men's collegiate team for the past four years and played baseball all her life on men's teams.

Couple good articles in the NYTimes and MLB.com.

What do you think?
        Let's wish her luck. I can remember being a kid in school and somebody said: "The first person to set foot on the moon has already been born." Hearing that was incredibly inspirational. I'd like to think that the first female to play baseball professionally has not only already been born, but is well on her way. There's no point in being negative.

Comment

• Imgran
          • Dec 2007

If she's competent, and knows what she's doing, and is the most qualified available person, I hope to heck that the gold ole boys network keeps its nose out of things.

Comment

• DriftersGM
            • Apr 2005

lol you be careful with that - some folks on this board are pretty vehemently opposed - or at least they give that impression by the way they rattle off (mostly irrational) reasons why women cant partake in the game! I have been enjoying a perhaps overly spirited convo on the forums here about having women as pro players - and was surprised how determined some folks are that it just aint gonna happen, while I think its just an eventuality as to when.

Judging by how women are treated in the umpiring profession, as players, as executives, then yes I suppose a coach is the faster path to breaking the gender barrier. However they are in for a fight all the way, and I pull for women who want to make that effort. I think baseball could do alot worse than to accept women more than they do now, which is minimal at best.

I have seen women as trainers, and that is another way one could soon see a woman on a major league bench - if it hasnt quietly happened already.
            I have Evan Longorias hat

Comment

• Bigfoot 88
              Go Bravos!
              • Dec 2010

Honestly it shouldn't be about breaking the gender barrier. Someone could sign Hillary Clinton and break the gender barrier. You have to prove you deserve to play.
              Chop! Chop! Chop!

Comment

• SABRSusan
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
                Susan, on which baseball teams has Justine both coached and played? Which positions for both?

If Justine were to be a coach, or would it be on the field (if so, which position?), or in the bullpen?
                I don't know what men's teams she played on as an adult. I do know she played on her high school team, third base and pitcher.

She's been an assistant coach for four years at the collegiate level. Not sure in what capacity. In 2009 she was first base coach for the Brockton Rox, which is an independent league team in Massachusetts. She's pitching BP for the Rays today (3/9/11) and another team (Cardinals? can't remember) this week. She knows the game well, and she has a laid back but direct and focused personality that I think is good combination for a coach.

Comment

• carol sheldon
                  • Oct 2005

I played women's baseball with Justine and she is now the head of the organization Baseball for All. She coaches young women and the travel to tournament both in the US and outside the US , like Korea. By now I'm sure you know that she got hired by the A's to help coach in the Fall League in AZ. She did a little bit of everything including coaching 1st base. Justine had a very god experience with the players.It was a very positive experience.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X