Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Player Per Team Draft

It's always good to have an ace starter, so who better than the Big Train himself, Walter Johnson?

Quote Originally Posted by Wade8813 View Post
    If someone played a lot of games for both a defunct franchise and a modern franchise, can we use that player for either?
    Another question - what's the rule on trading? Some drafts allow us to trade while the draft is in progress, so we can trade draft picks and such. Some only allow us to trade after the draft, and some don't allow us to trade at all.

I was hoping Walter would fall to me - he's one of the only top players who was on a hard to fill franchise.

Anyhow, I'll take Ty Cobb. There's almost often a run on CFers in these drafts, plus the Tigers have less top tier players than a lot of other teams
    The Dark Knight is the best movie I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Tom Seaver
    George Brett
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith, Spink Award winner

In a concession to team scarcity, I'll take Pete Alexander. Yes, I just called the Cubs and/or the Phillies a weak team for this draft (actually, they're both pretty underwhelming, especially for how long they've been around)
    Last edited by Wade8813; 02-24-2011 at 01:20 PM.

With only seven of us drafting, a franchise's talent pool needs be no more than seven players deep, which describes most teams. Considering only 9 of our picks will be in the starting lineup, I don't think Bobby Abreu riding the bench or Lon Warneke in the bullpen will hamstring a team's pennant chances. The great Alex does give you an ace on the mound and a lot of flexibility with your teams. Great pick.
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith, Spink Award winner

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Harris View Post
    Tom Seaver
    George Brett
    good picks, Brad- I see you've actually been thinking about how this should work- unlike me.

With only seven of us drafting, a franchise's talent pool needs be no more than seven players deep, which describes most teams. Considering only 9 of our picks will be in the starting lineup, I don't think Bobby Abreu riding the bench or Lon Warneke in the bullpen will hamstring a team's pennant chances. The great Alex does give you an ace on the mound and a lot of flexibility with your teams. Great pick.
    Oh, I know. But you can only punt so many teams. Plus, I don't want to take away the best options. Pretty much every team has players I can stick on the bench, but I need to keep my options open with the best players. I wouldn't have taken Alexander quite this soon if we didn't have the team restrictions, although it's close.
    Last edited by Wade8813; 02-24-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Well, there went far and away the best Royal in the pool! No way he was good enough to take at #1 overall but I DEFINITELY wanted him!

I can only hope that Nate Colbert wont fall victim as well!

Some of the expansion era teams have a VAST dropoff after the top couple of players. Look at the Royals-after Brett, the dropoff on the offensive side is pretty steep.

I've decided my ace pitcher needs an ace catcher, so I'm going to select:

Johnny Bench

Quote Originally Posted by No Roids View Post
    Some of the expansion era teams have a VAST dropoff after the top couple of players. Look at the Royals-after Brett, the dropoff on the offensive side is pretty steep.
    Definitely. I'll probably end up with my Royals player on the bench or in the bullpen.

What was interesting to me is how many teams have been around forever and don't have much more than KC.

Quote Originally Posted by ian2813 View Post
    I've decided my ace pitcher needs an ace catcher, so I'm going to select:

Johnny Bench
    Well, you've definitely got the top pitcher and the top catcher, and both from teams without a ton of other great options.
    Last edited by Wade8813; 02-24-2011 at 04:45 PM.

This is going to be a very interesting draft. I suspect there will be a lot more last-minute changing of the mind in this one due to the nature of how a single selection can change the draft board picture for a given team.

Fun stuff.

Well, there went far and away the best Royal in the pool! No way he was good enough to take at #1 overall but I DEFINITELY wanted him!

I can only hope that Nate Colbert wont fall victim as well!
    Don't you mean Garry Templeton?

I take the flexible Greg Maddux
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

We'll see if this is a wise selection in the rounds to come.

Robin Yount
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Cast your vote in the Dead-Ball Era Hall of Fame today!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
    We'll see if this is a wise selection in the rounds to come.

Robin Yount
    Might be a tad early but then again- you plucked one of the true gems from an expansion era team.

Still thinking about Elmo Plaskett. Wait a minute- I just realized there's a guy with 8 Gold Gloves, 7 MVP awards, 762 home runs still out there. Hmmm.... Okay, I've got to take

Barry Bonds.

OK, I want an ace pitcher too so I'll take Christy Mathewson

Then I want a RH power hitter to complement Ruth so I'll take The Beast Jimmie Foxx

Oh and Ron, I just looked up your boy Plaskett. While I can see your enthusiasm for him, he falls just a TAD short of the games played requirement. He misses out at c by 399 games and 3b by 391.
    Other than that, he's close!!!

Oh and Ron, I just looked up your boy Plaskett. While I can see your enthusiasm for him, he falls just a TAD short of the games played requirement. He misses out at c by 399 games and 3b by 391.
    Other than that, he's close!!!
    Not to mention that Ron already took Honus Wagner, making the career Pirate Plaskett ineligible.

Geez- it's my turn again! I need a great pitcher. I'll take

Robert "Lefty" Grove.

Holy crap that was fast.

Cy Young
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Cast your vote in the Dead-Ball Era Hall of Fame today!

Yeah, that's what happens when we only have 7 people.

I'll have Tris Speaker
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Dang it, RMB took my guy. Alright, I'll take Paul Molitor. After Yount and Molitor the Brewers franchise has a severe dropoff in career value. Have fun fighting over B.J. Surhoff, guys.
    Last edited by ian2813; 02-25-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ian2813 View Post
    Dang it, RMB took my guy. Alright, I'll take Paul Molitor. After Yount and Molitor the Brewers franchise has a severe dropoff in career value.
    No kiddin'
    Guess I'll have to look for a different tablesetter for Ruth & Foxx.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast