Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Player Per Team Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Wade8813 View Post
    Sorry for the delay - I just woke up 20 minutes ago.

What's the playing time requirement for pitchers from a defunct franchise? I know it's 700 for players from a modern franchise, 200 from pitchers from a modern franchise, and 300 games for a player from a defunct franchise. If you make it proportionate, it would be 129 games...?
    It's 200 for pitchers from a defunct franchise too.

Really? Why is it so much harder for them to qualify? Ah well, I'll pick soon.
    The Dark Knight is the best movie I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

I'll take Dan Plesac. He probably doesn't get taken much in all time drafts, especially one with this few participants, but a decent LH reliever with pretty good splits against LH batters? Sure, why not.

Quote Originally Posted by ian2813 View Post
    I see you already switched to Dave Orr. You're lucky I hadn't wanted Jim McCormick.
    True (although nobody wants Jim McCormick) Deacon White, my edit didn't take the first time.
    Last edited by RuthMayBond; 03-07-2011 at 01:47 PM.
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Willie Stargell

Troy Percival
    Last edited by Brad Harris; 03-07-2011 at 11:07 AM.
    "The value of a stat is directly proportional to how good it makes Steve Garvey look." -- Nerdlinger

So let's see if I've got this right:

Roids gets the final Astro and White Sox
    Ron gets the final Angel and Red
    Tyrus gets the final Royal and Twin
    RMB gets the final Cardinal, Dodger, Giant, Met and Oriole (though his roster already contains options for some of these franchises)
    Ian gets the final Indian and Yankee
    Wade gets the final Cub, National and Phillie (though he has options already too)
    Brad gets the final Brave

Quote Originally Posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    True (although nobody wants Jim McCormick) Jesse Burkett, my edit didn't take the first time.
    Okay - I'm completely confused. Are you taking Jim Orr? Deacon White? Jim McCormick? Or Jesse Burkett?

So let's see if I've got this right:

Roids gets the final Astro and White Sox
    Ron gets the final Angel and Red
    Tyrus gets the final Royal and Twin
    RMB gets the final Cardinal, Dodger, Giant, Met and Oriole (though his roster already contains options for some of these franchises)
    Ian gets the final Indian and Yankee
    Wade gets the final Cub, National and Phillie (though he has options already too)
    Brad gets the final Brave
    I believe Brad could take another W Sox player if he counts George Davis as a Defunct Franchise player.

Okay - I'm completely confused. Are you taking Jim Orr? Deacon White? Jim McCormick? Or Jesse Burkett?

I believe Brad could take another W Sox player if he counts George Davis as a Defunct Franchise player.
    Deacon White, sorry
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

[QUOTE=Wade8813;1858358
    I believe Brad could take another W Sox player if he counts George Davis as a Defunct Franchise player.[/QUOTE]

I THOUGHT so!

Deacon White, sorry
    The Padres' front office should hire RMB. He might be the only person who could undo the Matt Bush draft pick.

Oh, yeah, I missed that. Changing that "majority career" rule really messed me up. I had George Davis down as being only a Giant or a White Sox.

Oh, yeah, I missed that. Changing that "majority career" rule really messed me up. I had George Davis down as being only a Giant or a White Sox.
    Shhhhh!
    "The value of a stat is directly proportional to how good it makes Steve Garvey look." -- Nerdlinger

So why did Jesse Burkett get mentioned?

Anyway, there's only one A's player left that I want, so even though there's a decent chance he'd make it back to me, I can't risk having him taken. I'll take Dennis Eckersley.

First RMB drafted Jim McCormick, then he changed it to Dave Orr, then to Jesse Burkett, then to Deacon White. Hopefully he hasn't changed it again since I started writing this comment.

Anyhow, I still need a Padre, so I'm going to select Randy Jones. I know there are better players out there for San Diego, but I'd like a lefty who keeps the ball in the park, and Jones fits the bill.

Anyway, there's only one A's player left that I want, so even though there's a decent chance he'd make it back to me, I can't risk having him taken. I'll take Dennis Eckersley.
    Whoa! Wade with the 11 man pitching staff! I didnt expect that!

I'll take me some Sam Leever

First RMB drafted Jim McCormick, then he changed it to Dave Orr, then to Jesse Burkett, then to Deacon White. Hopefully he hasn't changed it again since I started writing this comment.

Anyhow, I still need a Padre, so I'm going to select Randy Jones. I know there are better players out there for San Diego, but I'd like a lefty who keeps the ball in the park, and Jones fits the bill.
    Goodness. I never saw Jesse Burkett mentioned in his original post, just in post #329 (which still doesn't entirely make sense to me )

Quote Originally Posted by No Roids View Post
    Whoa! Wade with the 11 man pitching staff! I didnt expect that!
    I go with large pitching rotations all the time. I'll probably have a 12 man. I have a lot of positional flexibility, so I don't need as many bench players.

Although I've sort of been paying attention to peoples' lineups/rosters, I just put them all together now. Very interesting. I won't make any value judgements at this time, but it's interesting to see how some rosters lean one way or another. I was also surprised to see that one or two rosters still appear to be short a starting player. Lots of good teams here.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRon View Post
    I was also surprised to see that one or two rosters still appear to be short a starting player.
    Now THAT is interesting.
    I hope it's not me.
    Last edited by RuthMayBond; 03-07-2011 at 02:00 PM.

Well, if you know you can secure a player because you're the only one who can pick from that team... turns out I could have done it with Ernie Banks, but I already picked Appling

I've always seen Eck to be overvalued. He let up a lot of runs oustide of a small peak from the late 1980s-early 1990s. I wasn't going to take him because I want Chief Bender, whom I believe never gets proper credit for his role as a part of Connie Mack's pitching machine in the early part of the century.
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

We've all drafted pitchers this round. Will Ron and Roids keep the streak going?

Deacon White, sorry
    Jeez, couldn't you have taken a pre-Civil War guy? Or somebody from the 16th century?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
    I've always seen Eck to be overvalued. He let up a lot of runs oustide of a small peak from the late 1980s-early 1990s. I wasn't going to take him because I want Chief Bender, whom I believe never gets proper credit for his role as a part of Connie Mack's pitching machine in the early part of the century.
    I disagree. Eck was more inconsistent, but he also had some years as a starter where he was lights out. And if you take away Bender's mediocre years, he had about an 8 year career. Neither's a bad pick, but for a reliever I'd rather have Eck.

EDIT - also, I don't see any teams missing a player for a lineup slot...

Quote Originally Posted by BigRon View Post
    Jeez, couldn't you have taken a pre-Civil War guy? Or somebody from the 16th century?
    I think RMB MEANT to take Sir Galahad but the statistics from the League of the Round Table were VERY incompatible with modern-day records, primarily because of the rule about beheading the pitcher if the pitch wasnt placed properly.

Quote Originally Posted by No Roids View Post
    I think RMB MEANT to take Sir Galahad but the statistics from the League of the Round Table were VERY incompatible with modern-day records, primarily because of the rule about beheading the pitcher if the pitch wasnt placed properly.
    POST OF THE WEEK!!!

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast