Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Player Per Team Draft

No Roids: Sorry for the loss.
    Wade: Have a safe trip. Careful!
    ian: Taking Collins? I wouldn't leave the house tomorrow...

I'll take Stan Musial.
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Ty,

I sent you a PM with my next 2 picks.
    Just trying to keep things moving along

So it seems we've got the following up next:

Ron
    Roids x 2 (proxy is Ty)
    Ron
    Ty

Should move quickly.
    "The value of a stat is directly proportional to how good it makes Steve Garvey look." -- Nerdlinger

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Harris View Post
    So it seems we've got the following up next:

Ron
    Roids x 2 (proxy is Ty)
    Ron
    Ty

Should move quickly.
    Sure, as long as Ty and Ron are on at the same time.

There are several "inner circle" guys still out there, in my opinion. I've got to take one of them, but which one? Hard decisions. Okay, I'll go with a tougher position to fill and a franchise that isn't real deep in greats-

I'll take Mike Schmidt.

Roids wants Nap Lajoie and Joe Mauer.

Back to you, Ron.

Oh boy. There are several all time great position players still out there. There are also several all time great pitchers remaining. What to do? What to do? I think great pitching is slightly scarcer. Okay, which one? I'll take a right hander to balance out Grove. I'll take

Roger Clemens.

By the way, I never liked Clemens, but he was a great great pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRon View Post
    Oh boy. There are several all time great position players still out there. There are also several all time great pitchers remaining. What to do? What to do? I think great pitching is slightly scarcer. Okay, which one? I'll take a right hander to balance out Grove. I'll take

Roger Clemens.

By the way, I never liked Clemens, but he was a great great pitcher.
    Funny thing with this draft is that a few all-time greats are going to go undrafted- either because their teams had too many other all time greats (Yankees), or their careers have been spent primarily with post 1969 expansion teams (Randy Johnson, Robbie Alomar), or they failed to make the 700 game minimum with any franchise (I'll let you figure those guys out)

Warren Spahn for me.

Quote Originally Posted by No Roids View Post
    Funny thing with this draft is that a few all-time greats are going to go undrafted- either because their teams had too many other all time greats (Yankees), or their careers have been spent primarily with post 1969 expansion teams (Randy Johnson, Robbie Alomar), or they failed to make the 700 game minimum with any franchise (I'll let you figure those guys out)
    Probably depends on how you define alltime great. Even though position distribution is uneven I imagine just about all of the most commmonly accepted top 50 or 60 position players will go, plus the top 25 or so pitchers.

Probably depends on how you define alltime great. Even though position distribution is uneven I imagine just about all of the most commmonly accepted top 50 or 60 position players will go, plus the top 25 or so pitchers.
    Yeah, thats pretty accurate, I'd say. MOST of those guys will go but there are a couple that just cant for the reasons I listed. Randy Johnson is pretty darn close to being a Top 25 pitcher but he's ineligible because he doesnt have 200 appearances with a qualifying franchise and our wild card player has to be a 19th century guy.

And with the Yankees- 4 have been picked so far and we only can have 7 picked. That means that out of DiMaggio, Dickey, Berra, Ford and Mariano Rivera, 2 of these players will NOT be in this league.

Come on, RMB! I'm itching to make a pick! I've been waiting all day!

I'm done with Army stuff for today. I'll be going to dinner in a bit, and may do a little bit of stuff with Army buddies, but should be able to check in every once in a while for the rest of the evening.
    The Dark Knight is the best movie I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Tyrus said RMB needs to pick by 5:52 EST, but actually I think that was his start time. I think he's got until some time tomorrow morning to make his pick.

Tyrus said RMB needs to pick by 5:52 EST, but actually I think that was his start time. I think he's got until some time tomorrow morning to make his pick.
    If he has eight hours, that means he has until 1:52 AM EST.

That would be a little crazy. I'll take Pedro Martinez, and now I have several choices lined up so I hope they won't all be destroyed.
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Its kinda interesting- when you look at the players who've been drafted so far, the Red Sox COULD be closed out depending on how our owners end up using the 'swing" players picked so far.
    Clemens, P Martinez and T Williams are Red Sox only and Cy Young, Jimmie Foxx, Lefty Grove and Tris Speaker all could be used as Red Sox picks.

On the flip side, we have 10 franchises that havent had a played picked for them yet, except for one swing player.

Quote Originally Posted by No Roids View Post
    Its kinda interesting- when you look at the players who've been drafted so far, the Red Sox COULD be closed out depending on how our owners end up using the 'swing" players picked so far.
    Clemens, P Martinez and T Williams are Red Sox only and Cy Young, Jimmie Foxx, Lefty Grove and Tris Speaker all could be used as Red Sox picks.

On the flip side, we have 10 franchises that havent had a played picked for them yet, except for one swing player.
    Except Ian and I both don't have anyone who could play for the Red Sox, and both BigRon and RMB took players who have to be on the Red Sox, so Grove and Speaker have to be on their other teams.

Sheesh, I wait around all day, then when I finally get tired of sitting in front of the computer my turn comes up.

All righty then. I have so many needs on this team, but there's one player I really want who probably won't last much longer. Therefore I select:

Bob Gibson

Continuing my theme of blocking myself from the the deepest teams who often have multiple players at shallower positions, I'll take Hank Aaron (which prevents me from two of the top 3bmen).

Course, with my lineup so far looking like

1. Ty Cobb
    2. Aaron
    3. Mantle
    4. Hornsby

I can't complain too much.
    Last edited by Wade8813; 02-26-2011 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade8813 View Post
    Continuing my theme of blocking myself from the the deepest teams who often have multiple players at shallower positions, I'll take Hank Aaron (which prevents me from two of the top 3bmen)
    I was wondering how much longer Aaron would last. You may not have as many choices at third base, but you do have an outfield of Cobb, Mantle and Aaron. That's going to be tough to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade8813 View Post
    Except Ian and I both don't have anyone who could play for the Red Sox, and both BigRon and RMB took players who have to be on the Red Sox, so Grove and Speaker have to be on their other teams.
    Whoops- Can you tell I had a long day yesterday with the funeral? My wife and I were up from about 3:30 yesterday morning.
    Yup- I totally missed the fact that, although there have been 7 RedSox-eligible guys taken, they were NOT taken by 7 different owners.

Brad's up- he's got about an hour left on the clock. Anybody hear from him? Sometimes he's not around on the weekends....

Should we hold off a while as a courtesy?

I'll give him another two hours because he really should PM picks if he's going to miss.

Brad's up- he's got about an hour left on the clock. Anybody hear from him? Sometimes he's not around on the weekends....

Should we hold off a while as a courtesy?
    I don't want to sound like a jerk here, but we did agree on the rules of the draft ahead of time. If Brad knew he wasn't going to be around he should've PMed his picks to somebody. Wade already PMed me with his next pick because he apparently knew he wasn't going to be here. I'd be willing to give Brad a few extra hours maybe, but I don't want to wait around too long.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast