Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Josť Reyes Watch

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Mandrake's right - this is the situation, and this is the job Alderson was brought in to do.

It's extremely sad that we'll have to watch him trade off iconic homegrown talent - especially when you consider there will still be a club of Mets fans who think that "Sandy" is a "true professional" who knows what he's doing. That may be true - but what he's doing is what Selig hired him to do: take the Mets middle market to try and save the Wilpons, or failing that, set things up for a sale.

Letting Reyes go is the symbol of this horrific new era - though Sherman may be correct in saying that trading David Wright would be worse. Don't be shocked if our pal Sandy goes that route....

and he'll love every minutes of it right Strawman????...Because he doesnt apprecaite Wright and Reyes' talents. He loves trading away great players because he sets his own budget. He doesn't need an owner to tell him how much he can spend.

Who cares if he's said he wants reyes to be a met about 300 times since he's been hired. He wants to see him go, he's up at night smiling thinking about trading away one of his very good players. Right??
    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Mandrake's right - this is the situation, and this is the job Alderson was brought in to do.

It's extremely sad that we'll have to watch him trade off iconic homegrown talent - especially when you consider there will still be a club of Mets fans who think that "Sandy" is a "true professional" who knows what he's doing. That may be true - but what he's doing is what Selig hired him to do: take the Mets middle market to try and save the Wilpons, or failing that, set things up for a sale.

Letting Reyes go is the symbol of this horrific new era - though Sherman may be correct in saying that trading David Wright would be worse. Don't be shocked if our pal Sandy goes that route....
    WRIGHT isn't going anywhere, come on, now, he's not even in a career year...and what is it with you and Alderson? I have no hate for the man, what's your problem? That he'll probably work with a smaller budget? WEll, right now that's waht the Mets need. (I'll say until the last that I think the Mets could and should stretch, albeit a good deal, to keep Reyes, who wants to stay anyway according to sources, and YES, Paulpay, that and his personality DOES help, it helps when you're trying to keep a guy when said guy isn't clammoring for a trade and is beloved by the fans and the team, that's what we'd call a human connection, which can be hard to ever sometimes...I know the idea of a human connection might be hard for your all-numbers-all-the-time approach to baseball and life, but numbers aren't everything. Granted money IS a big deal, but it's not everything.)
    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

This just in.

If the talent is homegrown, an extension is a must. I repeat. An extension is a MUST. Even if the player is a mediocre lead off hitter with poor fielding skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Shea Knight View Post
    WRIGHT isn't going anywhere, come on, now, he's not even in a career year...and what is it with you and Alderson? I have no hate for the man, what's your problem? That he'll probably work with a smaller budget? WEll, right now that's waht the Mets need. (I'll say until the last that I think the Mets could and should stretch, albeit a good deal, to keep Reyes, who wants to stay anyway according to sources, and YES, Paulpay, that and his personality DOES help, it helps when you're trying to keep a guy when said guy isn't clammoring for a trade and is beloved by the fans and the team, that's what we'd call a human connection, which can be hard to ever sometimes...I know the idea of a human connection might be hard for your all-numbers-all-the-time approach to baseball and life, but numbers aren't everything. Granted money IS a big deal, but it's not everything.)
    Just reacting to the arcticle above, that's all:

Wright is the toughest call. He is signed for $15 million in 2012 with a $16 million option for 2013 (or a $1 million buyout). Will the Mets win during the remainder of this contract? If he wants to stay, will Wright be worth a significant extension in his 30s? Or is his best long-term value to the organization as a desirable trade chip?
    Yeah, he's not going anywhere this year - unless the finances totally collapse, right?
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Joel Sherman knows less about baseball than a monkey. All his articles are basically "Mets suck" and "Hooray for the Yankees!"

Quote Originally Posted by pstein View Post
    Joel Sherman knows less about baseball than a monkey. All his articles are basically "Mets suck" and "Hooray for the Yankees!"
    Yep... +1, sir!
    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Just reacting to the arcticle above, that's all:

Yeah, he's not going anywhere this year - unless the finances totally collapse, right?
    No, he's NOT going anywhere, because there's a line in the sand for fans, and if they dealt Reyes AND Santana AND Wright...there'd be a fan revolt.

Besides that, Wright's still an All-Star 3B--whether or not he's the power hitter he once was, I don't know, I think it's too early to count him out, as he did rebound some last eyar, but let's not get into that all *cough, Paulie, cough*--and has been the only Met to stay consistent and healthy the last few years.

Reyes has been hurt--not enough to deal him, but at least it could be seen as a justification.
    Ditto Santana, though, again, it's not like a helathy club would trade him.
    Ditto Beltran, though he's probably the biggest tradebait of them all.

But Wright's homegrown, grew up with the Mets, has been durable, still plays well, AND has said that he actually WANTS to stay with the Mets.

I find it hard to believe that Wright wouldn't be able to come to terms with the club on a contract if the time came...I think the same thing goes for Reyes, though Reyes' case is, admittedly, harder.

But Wright's a Met, a sure-fire Met, there's not even anotehr 3B in the minors to replace him, we wouldn't trade him...

THey'd etrade everyone ELSE before Wright, since you can't jsut slap a schlub in a Mets uniform and expect some people to show up at the ballpark--they need at least some kind of draw, and that's Wright.

HE'S STAYING! (And take it easy on Alderson...)

Quote Originally Posted by Shea Knight View Post
    No, he's NOT going anywhere, because there's a line in the sand for fans, and if they dealt Reyes AND Santana AND Wright...there'd be a fan revolt.

Besides that, Wright's still an All-Star 3B--whether or not he's the power hitter he once was, I don't know, I think it's too early to count him out, as he did rebound some last eyar, but let's not get into that all *cough, Paulie, cough*--and has been the only Met to stay consistent and healthy the last few years.

Reyes has been hurt--not enough to deal him, but at least it could be seen as a justification.
    Ditto Santana, though, again, it's not like a helathy club would trade him.
    Ditto Beltran, though he's probably the biggest tradebait of them all.

But Wright's homegrown, grew up with the Mets, has been durable, still plays well, AND has said that he actually WANTS to stay with the Mets.

I find it hard to believe that Wright wouldn't be able to come to terms with the club on a contract if the time came...I think the same thing goes for Reyes, though Reyes' case is, admittedly, harder.

But Wright's a Met, a sure-fire Met, there's not even anotehr 3B in the minors to replace him, we wouldn't trade him...

THey'd etrade everyone ELSE before Wright, since you can't jsut slap a schlub in a Mets uniform and expect some people to show up at the ballpark--they need at least some kind of draw, and that's Wright.

HE'S STAYING! (And take it easy on Alderson...)
    I dont think Wright is going anywhere, unless the bottom really drops outs. Honestly I dont see MLB letting it get that far.

On the other hand I would be more than surprised if Reyes was here after July 2011. As far as Beltran I just dont know what is going to happen. Watching him run on Sunday was painful, and that was after a full winter off. How he is going to handle the wear and tear of the season is beyond me. I think if the Mets trade him they may have to eat some of the contract. I am just not sure how tradeable he is going to be.

I think if Santana comes back in time, and shows anything before the ASB there is a very good chance he is gone.

I think we are on the wrong side of the fire sale. If you step back and think about what is going on here it is mind boggling. New York market, new stadium, a couple of stars, and yet management and ownership still screwed the pooch.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    I dont think Wright is going anywhere, unless the bottom really drops outs. Honestly I dont see MLB letting it get that far.

On the other hand I would be more than surprised if Reyes was here after July 2011. As far as Beltran I just dont know what is going to happen. Watching him run on Sunday was painful, and that was after a full winter off. How he is going to handle the wear and tear of the season is beyond me. I think if the Mets trade him they may have to eat some of the contract. I am just not sure how tradeable he is going to be.

I think if Santana comes back in time, and shows anything before the ASB there is a very good chance he is gone.

I think we are on the wrong side of the fire sale. If you step back and think about what is going on here it is mind boggling. New York market, new stadium, a couple of stars, and yet management and ownership still screwed the pooch.
    Well, if he hits well, I suppose they could still trade Beltran to an AL team to use as a DH...it's been the solution for more than one slugger...

Hopefully a miracle occurs and they keep all four, but that's unrealistic even by opitimstic standards.

I still say they'll keep two of the four, however, at least; Wright, and then either Beltran, if he's untradeable--though I think he is as a DH, supposing he can still hit--or Santana--if he comes back later and so doesn't show too much before the Break, and teams might not want an injured ace--or Reyes, if they work something out...

I don't know, it'll be interesting who goes and who stays, just not the kind of interesting I'd hoped for this season.

The only thought worse than Reyes leaving is the thought of this thread continuing.

The Yankee analysts blog (a good read) has a post on looking at Reyes through "the Jeter lens" and they find there are approximately zero options for an upgrade at SS. They predict the Mets will re-sign him. Given all the talk of the Yankees grabbing Jose, let's hope it's true.

http://www.yankeeanalysts.com/2011/0...ter-lens-26601
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

The Yankee analysts blog (a good read) has a post on looking at Reyes through "the Jeter lens" and they find there are approximately zero options for an upgrade at SS. They predict the Mets will re-sign him. Given all the talk of the Yankees grabbing Jose, let's hope it's true.

http://www.yankeeanalysts.com/2011/0...ter-lens-26601
    Although I dont see how, I hope he is right. I thought Reyes would be a tough decision for the Mets before all of this financial stuff hit the fan. Now I really think its beyond tough and traveling towards impossible.

The lead on Andy Martino's spring training cuts story shows have the conventional wisdom is settling in in Metsland:

PORT ST. LUCIE - So long, Ruben Tejada. We'll see you on the day Jose Reyes is introduced by his new team.

We're being facetious - sort of. The Mets' decision Friday to make Tejada and Fernando Martinez victims of the first round of cuts to minor league camp lent the day more intrigue than usual, and seemed to reinforce the apparent paths of those two prospects. Terry Collins and other team officials framed the decisions as an effort to find more at-bats for young players, and they were surely sincere; still, there was a subtext to both moves.

Tejada, instead of competing for the second base job, will become the starting shortstop for Triple-A Buffalo and possible heir to Reyes.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz1GP6XWcss
    The writers know the team will be dismantled.

Getting rid of Reyes is not the worst choice. His OBP is just awful. A few guys had higher batting averages than his OBP. He's injury prone and declining offensively. Honestly, Ruben Tejada has a lot of room to improve (he's only 21) and is blocked by Reyes. Re-signing Reyes is going to be prohibitively expensive, and if he produces like he did last year, not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by pstein View Post
    Getting rid of Reyes is not the worst choice. His OBP is just awful. A few guys had higher batting averages than his OBP. He's injury prone and declining offensively. Honestly, Ruben Tejada has a lot of room to improve (he's only 21) and is blocked by Reyes. Re-signing Reyes is going to be prohibitively expensive, and if he produces like he did last year, not worth it.
    After his late start and in-season Spring Training his OBP was about its usual .350/.360. His stolen bases and extra base hits push his effectiveness as a lead off hitter even higher.

But Sandy Alderson has been leading the media campaign to question the wisdom of retaining Reyes - as if it's purely a baseball decision! Outside Hanley Ramirez there's no clearly more desirable shortstop in baseball. The Wilpon era has been marked by campaigns like this to talk down players they were too cheap to sign. Alex Rodriguez comes immediately to mind. The only thing that's changed now is that the duns are circling Fred Wilpon like buzzards and his hands are tied.

Tejada looks to be a Mario Mendoza type right now - at best. Reyes is a perennial All Star all of 28 years old. There's no way anybody can spin letting Reyes go as a good baseball decision. But that's what the organization is trying to do. They don't even have the honesty to admit the obvious. They've always lied about everything; why stop now? Sure Sandy, Tejada is such an incredible option - you'll have to look long and hard to see if resigning Reyes is best for the team going forward. It's a tough decision.

As always, there are some fans that will believe whatever the organization wants them to.

At this point it's become clear that Alderson is a lying weasel - a corporate mouthpiece who is working for the Wilpons, not the team or the fan base. His statements, actions and talent evaluation should be looked at in that light. If Reyes goes it will be a horrible baseball decision that will only prove the Wilpons are financially unfit to own a franchise in this market.

It's not even an arguable point.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    After his late start and in-season Spring Training his OBP was about its usual .350/.360. His stolen bases and extra base hits push his effectiveness as a lead off hitter even higher.

But Sandy Alderson has been leading the media campaign to question the wisdom of retaining Reyes - as if it's purely a baseball decision! Outside Hanley Ramirez there's no clearly more desirable shortstop in baseball. The Wilpon era has been marked by campaigns like this to talk down players they were too cheap to sign. Alex Rodriguez comes immediately to mind. The only thing that's changed now is that the duns are circling Fred Wilpon like buzzards and his hands are tied.

Tejada looks to be a Mario Mendoza type right now - at best. Reyes is a perennial All Star all of 28 years old. There's no way anybody can spin letting Reyes go as a good baseball decision. But that's what the organization is trying to do. They don't even have the honesty to admit the obvious. They've always lied about everything; why stop now? Sure Sandy, Tejada is such an incredible option - you'll have to look long and hard to see if resigning Reyes is best for the team going forward. It's a tough decision.

As always, there are some fans that will believe whatever the organization wants them to.

At this point it's become clear that Alderson is a lying weasel - a corporate mouthpiece who is working for the Wilpons, not the team or the fan base. His statements, actions and talent evaluation should be looked at in that light. If Reyes goes it will be a horrible baseball decision that will only prove the Wilpons are financially unfit to own a franchise in this market.

With all due respect, What exactly do you expect Alderson to say????????......If you actually expect Alderson to come out and say "due to the financial issues, we wont have the money to resign Jose Reyes".......then you simply don't quite understand sports. ALL GM"S LIE......it's part of the job. You simply have to protect your bosses sometimes, whether you agree with it or not. It's not an "alderson" thing, it's a sports thing. It's literally happened THOUSANDS of times in sports history, this point isn't arguable.

If you honestly think that Sandy doesnt want Jose Reyes on this team due to baseball reasons, then no offense, but you're flat out wrong. In every way. I ASSURE YOU he does. I would literally bet my life savings on it.

I LOVE how some of you guys already have it completely out for our new front office...absolutely love it.
    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

I think I have fully learned why the younger generation of New Yorkers root for the Yankees. They do not want to put with crap like this.
    Just call me a sports fan.

Quote Originally Posted by m8644 View Post
    With all due respect, What exactly do you expect Alderson to say????????......If you actually expect Alderson to come out and say "due to the financial issues, we wont have the money to resign Jose Reyes".......then you simply don't quite understand sports. ALL GM"S LIE......it's part of the job. You simply have to protect your bosses sometimes, whether you agree with it or not. It's not an "alderson" thing, it's a sports thing. It's literally happened THOUSANDS of times in sports history, this point isn't arguable.

If you honestly think that Sandy doesnt want Jose Reyes on this team due to baseball reasons, then no offense, but you're flat out wrong. In every way. I ASSURE YOU he does. I would literally bet my life savings on it.

I LOVE how some of you guys already have it completely out for our new front office...absolutely love it.
    At this point, every fan of this team has lost their mind, including me.
    Just call me a sports fan.

Quote Originally Posted by AJbaseball00024 View Post
    I think I have fully learned why the younger generation of New Yorkers root for the Yankees. They do not want to put with crap like this.
    Exactly. As I said before when you root for the Yankees all the fans worry about are baseball related issues. Like where is Jeter moving to when his days at SS are done? Who is the 5th starter? Etc, etc etc. Yankee fans know that the front office is going to do what they have to do to have at least a playoff team on the field.

Met fans have those same types of concerns, except now we get to watch the organization crumble right before our eyes while worrying about the 5th starter. This is a New York team, a major market. The fact that its very doubtful that Reyes will not be signed for financial reasons is ridiculous to me. If they were baseball reasons thats one thing and could be understandable, but financial issues are not a good reason in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post

Everything the 'Goose says here is true - sad, but true. And for you fellas who compare "our new front office" to the Yanks, there's one crystal clear rebuttal - the Yankees would 100% sign Reyes to a long-term deal. There is no replacement for him. Trading him or failing to sign him simply is the white flag being raised for the next half-decade of New York Mets baseball.

I've said it from the beginning (to a lot of jeering then...) that Alderson is a mid-market guy brought in by Selig (for his pal Wilpon) to re-make the Mets into a mid-market baseball operation. Nothing has happened to change that narrative. It's what we're stuck with.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast