Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Josť Reyes Watch

Josť Reyes Watch

Sadly, we need this thread.

When I saw Buster Olney's item today that the Yanks might consider signing Reyes and moving Jeter after this year, I knew we were going to have to have this conversation.

Alderson was brought in to bring a middle market model to the Mets while the franchise tries the weather the midnight of its financial crisis, and it's been clear all along that he doesn't like one of the Mets all-time top five everyday players - and a huge fan favorite to boot.

Reyes' years from 2006 through '08 are three of the best in team history - then there was a season lost to serious injury and another that can be put in the 80% comeback category. So now he's 27 and in his walk year, looking strong and looking for 5-6 year deal - a deal he will undoubtedly get from the Red Sox, Yankees, Giants or other similarly oriented teams if he shows some '08-era form this year.

Only a movement of Mets fans will keep him in Queens - I do believe the Mets are indeed stupid enough to let him walk and watch their fan base enthusiasm dip even further.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Jose Reyes' watch.

Jose Reyes better keep an eye on his watch or Jeff Wilpon is liable to sneak it out of the locker room and pawn it.
    Last edited by Mongoose; 03-03-2011 at 10:35 AM.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Actually Straw....it's only clear to YOU that Alderson doesnt like Reyes.......He's said NUMEROUS times that he wants Reyes on this team, but he wants to see a healthy.."reyes" like season first....which is perfectly fine. Reyes NEEDS to raise his OBP from that pathetic .321 it was last year......and i'm sure he will.

If the money is there to sign Jose....then Alderson will, as long as Reyes deserves it. If this situation gets worse and the $$$ flat out is not there...then that sucks. But how exactly is that Alderson's fault in any logical way??????????
    Last edited by m8644; 03-03-2011 at 10:51 AM.
    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

“Jose has done more to make me a better player than anyone I’ve played with,” David Wright told Bob Klapisch of the Bergen Record about Reyes. “I can’t think of what it would be like if he were gone.”

Yet the wheels are turning....this won't be Seaver II but it will be a solid second place in New York Mets history.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    “Jose has done more to make me a better player than anyone I’ve played with,” David Wright told Bob Klapisch of the Bergen Record about Reyes. “I can’t think of what it would be like if he were gone.”

Yet the wheels are turning....this won't be Seaver II but it will be a solid second place in New York Mets history.

a quote from Wright....in which he was SPECIFICALLY asked the question of what it would be like IF reyes was gone means that the "wheels are turning"???

OK then.....I'll ask my friend what it would be like if him and his wife get divorced..........and that will mean the wheels are turning on divorce proceedings I guess.....
    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Im still waiting to hear how it's "clear all along" that Alderson doesnt like Reyes.......Just because you dont respect the new front office talent doesnt mean you can throw out acqusations like that. He's said 300 times he likes reyes......even compared him to Rickey Henderson at one point this offseason......and said he wants to see him put up a true "reyes" season before he gives him a huge contract offer

So please logically explain how Alderson doesnt like him

Strawman you need to stop the crusade against Alderson. You just had one of the worst GM's in sports history leave the franchise and your complaining about one of the most competent. Alderson is smart enough to know that Reyes would be an idiot not to test the Free Agent market if he has a big year, and there is NOTHING your campaigning can do about it. If I were a friend of Reyes I would advise him to hit the free Agent Market myself. So yes Alderson NEEDS to prepare for life without Reyes.

If Reyes is having a huge season and the Mets offer him a contract over the summer and Jose says "no", what are the Mets supposed to do? Should they let him walk, and get nothing for him? OR should they get into a bidding war next December which he will be offered huge money? Or should they trade him and get as much as possible back for him? What would you do? You have been complaing about this for months, but never have you once offered a solution. You have just toasted Alderson on a daily basis for losing Reyes when really its not up to Alderson at all.

I love people that complain about the same thing over and over but never offer a solution. They are very easy to point a finger but never say anything that puts themselves out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    Strawman you need to stop the crusade against Alderson. You just had one of the worst GM's in sports history leave the franchise and your complaining about one of the most competent. Alderson is smart enough to know that Reyes would be an idiot not to test the Free Agent market if he has a big year, and there is NOTHING your campaigning can do about it. If I were a friend of Reyes I would advise him to hit the free Agent Market myself. So yes Alderson NEEDS to prepare for life without Reyes.

If Reyes is having a huge season and the Mets offer him a contract over the summer and Jose says "no", what are the Mets supposed to do? Should they let him walk, and get nothing for him? OR should they get into a bidding war next December which he will be offered huge money? Or should they trade him and get as much as possible back for him? What would you do? You have been complaing about this for months, but never have you once offered a solution. You have just toasted Alderson on a daily basis for losing Reyes when really its not up to Alderson at all.

I love people that complain about the same thing over and over but never offer a solution. They are very easy to point a finger but never say anything that puts themselves out there.
    Enjoy watching Jose Reyes, one of the handful of greatest homegrown Mets every developed, switch the color of his pinstripes. Alderson's in charge - or so he says - how it not be about him? It's his choice!

I'd sign him to a 5 or 6-year deal as soon as possible. That's my solution, and it's obvious - if the team really wanted to compete and remain viable, they'd do it.

Wonder if we could round up 25-30 fans to protest on Shea Bridge directly under Sandy's office? Time to send a message....we don't need Seaver II. We don't want Reyes in Boston or (much worse!!) in the Bronx.

Blog Entries
    Enjoy watching Jose Reyes, one of the handful of greatest homegrown Mets every developed, switch the color of his pinstripes. Alderson's in charge - or so he says - how it not be about him? It's his choice!

I'd sign him to a 5 or 6-year deal as soon as possible. That's my solution, and it's obvious - if the team really wanted to compete and remain viable, they'd do it.

Wonder if we could round up 25-30 fans to protest on Shea Bridge directly under Sandy's office? Time to send a message....we don't need Seaver II. We don't want Reyes in Boston or (much worse!!) in the Bronx.
    you're not really comparing Reyes to Tom Seaver...please say you aren't. Reyes hasn't been healthy the past two years, has debatable maturity and is only somewhat above league average offensively and defensively. Don't get me wrong for a SS that's near all-star quality but lets not kid ourselves if he is your best player...

Quote Originally Posted by PVNICK View Post
    you're not really comparing Reyes to Tom Seaver...please say you aren't. Reyes hasn't been healthy the past two years, has debatable maturity and is only somewhat above league average offensively and defensively. Don't get me wrong for a SS that's near all-star quality but lets not kid ourselves if he is your best player...
    No I'm not - I'm saying he'd be a (distant) second in worst trade-aways of popular, proven, homegrown Mets in franchise history, and spark a similar reaction from fans - along with another decade in the wilderness. And can you imagine if he signs with the Yankees? (Red Sox more likely - and pretty bad scenario too).

He's the best player on the Mets with David Wright (when healthy of course).

The whole thing just makes me sad...

If it came to it, I wish they could just jetison ten or so palyers just to keep Reyes and Wright together.

Those are the two current Mets I just can't picture in another uniform.

(Damn...I'm not supposed to be this depressed about the team until at least late-May...)
    Last edited by Shea Knight; 03-03-2011 at 02:43 PM.
    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

When I saw Buster Olney's item today that the Yanks might consider signing Reyes and moving Jeter after this year, I knew we were going to have to have this conversation.
    I swear...ANY uniform other than a Mets' uniform for Jose would be bad enough...

But if he went to the Yankees...!
    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Wow....Really? Thats your answer?

Sign him to a 5 or 6 year deal right now? With what? Are they going to pay with Shakes from the Shake Shack? Do you understand whats happening right now? This team is about to have it taken away from the owners.

Let me clue you in....when that happens..............you dont sign players to 5 year 75-100 million dollar contracts. Do you have any understanding of this at all?

On the other side of the coin even if they could offer him a contract of lets say 5 years 60-65 million (which is what the opening offer would probably be) Reyes would be nuts to take it if he were in the middle of good year. He is going to command my first numbers if he has a good year. Do you understand that?

There are somethings in business that you can control, and somethings you cant. The Mets cant force Jose to sign anything. Do you understand that?

Now add in the fact that this organization is in shambles. Where is the attraction to stay? I am sure players want to be in a stable atmosphere. Would you feel secure in a company where the owner was about to be removed? Do you understand that?

Nobody wants Jose to go, but its upto Jose and his agent. Its not upto Alderson. You say its his choice based upon what? FREE AGENT means FREE -- the player can do what he wants. Do you understand that?

Instead of stamping your feet like a kid in the Toy Department at K-mart that cant get the new Woody from Toy Story 27 try to understand where the team is, and where Jose is.

We all want Jose to stay, but wanting something and getting it are two different things. It makes no sense for Jose to sign a contract with the Mets even if offered. Its the nature of the beast. Its not Aldersons fault. You need to grasp this.....or not and just keep posting things that make no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post

Nobody wants Jose to go, but its upto Jose and his agent. Its not upto Alderson. You say its his choice based upon what? FREE AGENT means FREE -- the player can do what he wants. Do you understand that?
    Stow your bilge pallie, no need to get testy.

1. Reyes is not a free agent now
    2. Alderson, in his "wisdom," has not offered Reyes a contract
    3. Alderson has stated he prefers - his choice alone, as baseball czar - his singular call - to wait and see
    4. Reyes has said he's open to signing a new deal with the Mets this season.

Hey if you liked M. Donald Grant, well fine and dandy. I didn't. And yeah, the ownership group faces bankruptcy and/or a sale of the team - but the Mets franchise itselt is incredibly valuable, and they'd get more money for a team with a Reyes contract than for one without. (The Rangers spent right through bankruptcy, but they have much better management). It's an insanely poor business decision to let Reyes walk without trying to sign him.

Stow your bilge pallie, no need to get testy.

1. Reyes is not a free agent now
    2. Alderson, in his "wisdom," has not offered Reyes a contract
    3. Alderson has stated he prefers - his choice alone, as baseball czar - his singular call - to wait and see
    4. Reyes has said he's open to signing a new deal with the Mets this season.

Hey if you liked M. Donald Grant, well fine and dandy. I didn't. And yeah, the ownership group faces bankruptcy and/or a sale of the team - but the Mets franchise itselt is incredibly valuable, and they'd get more money for a team with a Reyes contract than for one without. (The Rangers spent right through bankruptcy, but they have much better management). It's an insanely poor business decision to let Reyes walk without trying to sign him.
    WIth all due respect, again, you have no concept of whats going on. Alderson DOES NOT set the budget......Im sure he'd love to sign reyes to a team friendly contract right now....but considering the WIlpons are borrowing money left and right RIGHT NOW just to operate the team.....it really doesnt seem like there is the $$$ at this very moment to sign Reyes

You seem to think that just because Alderson is in charge of the day to day baseball operations....that somehow means he sets the budget as well. How do you come to this conclusion?????

I ASSURE you....Alderson likes Reyes as a player and wants him to stay. I cant put it any more clear than that. But our ownership situation is in complete and utter shambles right now........which has an effect on big money decisions unfortunately.......and that has NOTHING to do with Alderson....he just has to deal with it unfortunately. He isnt the owner

Hey... this isn't Minaya making the trade. Sandy sees fit to trade Reyes, my money is on our side. It is almost comical how much we upgraded this off season. The organization is in great shape now. The Wilpons may not be, but I care as much about them as they care about their fans (every-body-clap-your-hands).
    "We have a plan; and I like our plan." ...Omar
    "I belive in our minor leagers; and I like our minor leagers." ...Omar

So I guess you really miss Omar, dont ya Strawman? Dude, stop with the anti-Alderson ********. He is trying to deal with the mess Omar and his bosses have left. He is trying his best.
    Just call me a sports fan.

Quote Originally Posted by AJbaseball00024 View Post
    So I guess you really miss Omar, dont ya Strawman? Dude, stop with the anti-Alderson ********. He is trying to deal with the mess Omar and his bosses have left. He is trying his best.
    If trying his best means cutting Reyes loose, then yes, he's a disaster - he hasn't even made an offer or indicated he will.

Enjoy Jose in NYY pinstripes.

If trying his best means cutting Reyes loose, then yes, he's a disaster - he hasn't even made an offer or indicated he will.

He is literally ON RECORD as saying that as long as Jose puts together a quality season like he normally does...he has zero issue resigning him. He's said that about 30583848383 times. As far as resigning him right now........He is NOT the owner....Our owner is borrowing money left and right just to pay for the electric bill right now. There's a VERY real possibility that he simply cannot sign Reyes at this moment due to budget contraints.........and since apparently you aren't quite understanding this....alderson DOES NOT set the budget....no GM ever does.

I literally cannot comprehend someone killing Sandy for this reyes situation. His boss is under one of the biggest lawsuits in history, he had no money to spend this offseason at all, we are trying to borrow money just to cover basic operating costs of a ballclub........and somehow this means that our GM hates our shortstop because he hasnt resigned him yet????????

Quote Originally Posted by m8644 View Post
    He is literally ON RECORD as saying that as long as Jose puts together a quality season like he normally does...he has zero issue resigning him. He's said that about 30583848383 times. As far as resigning him right now........He is NOT the owner....Our owner is borrowing money left and right just to pay for the electric bill right now. There's a VERY real possibility that he simply cannot sign Reyes at this moment due to budget contraints.........and since apparently you aren't quite understanding this....alderson DOES NOT set the budget....no GM ever does.

I literally cannot comprehend someone killing Sandy for this reyes situation. His boss is under one of the biggest lawsuits in history, he had no money to spend this offseason at all, we are trying to borrow money just to cover basic operating costs of a ballclub........and somehow this means that our GM hates our shortstop because he hasnt resigned him yet????????
    Good luck trying to drill through concrete with a Q-Tip.

The team is about to go belly up and Strawman wants the Mets to drop a 100 million........more specificallly he wants Alderson to take it out of his pocket and give it to Jose personally.

It may be the most ridiculous thing I have read on this forum since I joined.

I have no confidence in Alderson. He was sent here to try to save Wilpon. Part of saving him means slashing payroll. I doubt it will work, but we'll see... Alderson's not here to build a winner. His interviews are so obviously dishonest I no longer pay much attention to them. When he starts dumping salaries at the trading deadline the personality cult surrounding him will dissipate.

In any event, I'm not sure Alderson can be blamed any more than any other GM here. They've all had little power. Fred and Jeff always called the shots. Now Fred and Jeff's pending bankruptcy is calling the shots.

Omar rebuilt the team in about 2 years to near championship level. Fred and Jeff never spent any money on the draft. Who did they have in the minors when he arrived? Omar went and found guys like Tatis and Dickey for major league minimum. Beyond a small cluster of big name free agents Omar didn't have much to work with.

Jeff would give him exactly enough money for signing a Jason Bay in the off-season and nothing more. Jeff would tell him to sign Bay. Omar would follow orders. Omar would then have to slap a team together out of whatever retreads he could fish out of the garbage for Major League minimum. Whenever I hear anyone say Omar had resources to work with it annoys me. They were kept very limited by Fred and Jeff.

Omar assembled most of the team on a shoestring. He wasn't nearly as bad as it seems popular to remember him. He overpaid for a few players, but not by so much that a New York team shouldn't be able to eat the salary. The team in the Bronx has handed out worse contracts and just keeps spending and winning. It's not Omar's fault the Wilpons were stingy about putting the Mets over the top, or are bad with money when they're not benefiting from a Ponzi scheme.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    I have no confidence in Alderson. He was sent here to try to save Wilpon. Part of saving him means slashing payroll. I doubt it will work, but we'll see... Alderson's not here to build a winner. His interviews are so obviously dishonest I no longer pay much attention to them. When he starts dumping salaries at the trading deadline the personality cult surrounding him will dissipate.

In any event, I'm not sure Alderson can be blamed any more than any other GM here. They've all had little power. Fred and Jeff always called the shots. Now Fred and Jeff's pending bankruptcy is calling the shots.

Omar rebuilt the team in about 2 years to near championship level. Fred and Jeff never spent any money on the draft. Who did they have in the minors when he arrived? Omar went and found guys like Tatis and Dickey for major league minimum. Beyond a small cluster of big name free agents Omar didn't have much to work with.

Jeff would give him exactly enough money for signing a Jason Bay in the off-season and nothing more. Jeff would tell him to sign Bay. Omar would follow orders. Omar would then have to slap a team together out of whatever retreads he could fish out of the garbage for Major League minimum. Whenever I hear anyone say Omar had resources to work with it annoys me. They were kept very limited by Fred and Jeff.

Omar assembled most of the team on a shoestring. He wasn't nearly as bad as it seems popular to remember him. He overpaid for a few players, but not by so much that a New York team shouldn't be able to eat the salary. The team in the Bronx has handed out worse contracts and just keeps spending and winning. It's not Omar's fault the Wilpons were stingy about putting the Mets over the top, or are bad with money when they're not benefiting from a Ponzi scheme.
    With all due respect......taking the Wilpon's situation out of the equation......If you have "no confidence" in our front office that we have now.......the question must be asked, when exactly will you?........this is VERY easily the most talented and intelligent front office we've had since the Cashen days........I think even the biggest sane Minaya supporter would admit that the people we have in place now are simply better at their job, wilpon meddling or not. ......and I'd hope we can all safely agree that they are better than Steve Phillips and Al Harazin.

The (hopefully) new owners would be doing a very bad thing to get a new front office

Quote Originally Posted by m8644 View Post
    With all due respect......taking the Wilpon's situation out of the equation......If you have "no confidence" in our front office that we have now.......the question must be asked, when exactly will you?........this is VERY easily the most talented and intelligent front office we've had since the Cashen days........I think even the biggest sane Minaya supporter would admit that the people we have in place now are simply better at their job, wilpon meddling or not. ......and I'd hope we can all safely agree that they are better than Steve Phillips and Al Harazin.

The (hopefully) new owners would be doing a very bad thing to get a new front office
    No I think the 'Goose is right about Alderson - his mission and his motives. And yeah, Omar comes in for too much blame that belongs with ownership. He built competitive teams and outside of a few bad contracts - and a terrible way with the media - was (is?) a good baseball man, especially on judging talent. I don 't agree that "the people we have in place now are simply better at their job."

The reason it's Alderson's call this year on Reyes is just what everybody's been saying - the Wilpons are fighting the lawsuit, fighting to keep the team. Alderson is the regent to the incompetent king and his making all the calls. If he's good, he signs Reyes and tries to build franchise value. If he's bad, he doubles down on middle market restructuring a la Selig.

No I think the 'Goose is right about Alderson - his mission and his motives. And yeah, Omar comes in for too much blame that belongs with ownership. He built competitive teams and outside of a few bad contracts - and a terrible way with the media - was (is?) a good baseball man, especially on judging talent. I don 't agree that "the people we have in place now are simply better at their job."

The reason it's Alderson's call this year on Reyes is just what everybody's been saying - the Wilpons are fighting the lawsuit, fighting to keep the team. Alderson is the regent to the incompetent king and his making all the calls. If he's good, he signs Reyes and tries to build franchise value. If he's bad, he doubles down on middle market restructuring a la Selig.
    It all comes down to one simple thing.....if the Yankees decide they want Reyes, Jose will be a Yankee.
    Pure and simple. There is no way the Mets can get into a bidding war with the NYY right now. Hell, the Yankees could buy whoever and whatever they want. In 1988 who would have predicted that in a few years that Strawberry goes to the NYY, and that Gooden throws a no hitter as a Yankee and that David Cone throws a perfect game as a Yankee.

Really I can see Reyes in the Bronx next year (and if the Mets are still in trouble in the future, I can see Wright swinging at those bandbox dimensions at YS...especially RCF)

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast