Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Josť Reyes Watch

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryField View Post
    Well the Mets finally have two players that should be here for the long run (Wright and Reyes) and they will manage to screw that up. If these two came up with the Cardinals do you have any question in your mind that they would most likely end their careers or at least play 15 years with em. The Cardinals understand that keeping players like this is a boon to their history and image as a franchise.
    Mets haven't lost Reyes yet and the Cards may lose Pujols. Just sayin'.

More uplifting news from veteran sports scribe Allen Barra:

Jose Reyes To the Yankees? Sad to Say, It Might Happen

Every Mets fan knows the answer to this trivia question: Who has played the most continuous games in a Mets uniform? Ed Kranepool, of course, with 1,853 games. But do you know who number two and three are? David Wright (1,006) and Jose Reyes (926).

Those of us who have enjoyed watching Jose over the years (and still regard him as one of the game's most exciting players) were hoping he could spend his entire career in a blue and orange cap. But MLB.com's Anthony DiComo is only the latest writer to suggest that the Wilpons' financial woes will lead to breaking up the greatest left side of the infield the Mets' have ever had.

Reyes has never attained the superstar status that was heralded for him when he debuted for the Mets in 2003, but let's not pretend that he hasn't been a terrific player. His career batting average is .285, he's led the league in stolen bases three times, and he's been one of the best defensive shortstops in the game over the past decade.

Let's not also pretend that the Mets can't reach a deal with him before the trade deadline in July - Jose has said over and over that he wants to stay in New York and that he would be reasonable in any negotiation. Clearly the Mets have been leaking these trade rumors to the press in order to soften up Mets fans for a move whose only real purpose would be to lighten their payroll. (And surely the Mets front office doesn't believe for a moment it could get anything like the kind of value Reyes currently provides for less money.)

Read it all here:
    http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runnin...reyes_to_t.php

Trading Jose Reyes wouldn't be the same as the Seaver trade, it's true. But it would be number two on the all-time stupid moves, kill-the-fans list in NY Mets history. And it would make Sandy Alderson into M. Donald Grant II.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Worse than trading a future HoF pitcher?

you REALLY think that the mets have been leaking these tade rumors to the press man????...Come on, I know you like to take everything the media says as gospel since they are the "experts" (despite being moronically wrong on most every baseball related topic) , but even you cant believe that. Let's get serious.
    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Quote Originally Posted by metfan13 View Post
    Mets haven't lost Reyes yet and the Cards may lose Pujols. Just sayin'.
    I will be beyond surprised if Albert Pujols doesn't sign with the Cardinals. No way Cards give a ton of money to Matt Holiday and leave themselves short on cash to resign Pujols who may eclipse Stan the Man as the greatest Cardinal hitter of all time.
    New York (N.L.)
    1888, 1889, 1904, 1905, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1917, 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1933, 1936, 1937, 1951, 1954, 1969, 1973, 1986, 2000

Brooklyn (N.L.)
    1890, 1899, 1900, 1916, 1920, 1941, 1947, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956

New York (A.A.) 1884 Brooklyn (A.A.) 1889

Quote Originally Posted by m8644 View Post
    you REALLY think that the mets have been leaking these tade rumors to the press man????...Come on, I know you like to take everything the media says as gospel since they are the "experts" (despite being moronically wrong on most every baseball related topic) , but even you cant believe that. Let's get serious.
    It really bothers me that the Mets themselves posted the Reyes rumor on their official website, like they are preparing the fans for bad news !

I am sure you have all seen this.....I would like the Mets to explain it.

http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/art...s_nym&c_id=nym

Days could be numbered for Wright-Reyes duo
    Shortstop's contract situation might split up longest-tenured Mets

So why would the team out this out there???????????

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    It really bothers me that the Mets themselves posted the Reyes rumor on their official website, like they are preparing the fans for bad news !

Exactly, Mandrake - exactly.
    And gee, have we never had any weird Mets rumors out of the Wilpon regime over the years....any ham-handed media relations....any bizarre decisions on handling bad news? Hmmmm....no, I can't believe the above-board "Hall of Fame" new management team would ever try to create a new conventional wisdom about a beloved all-time Mets player!
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Mandrake.....I know people who actually work for the official sites....and believe me when I tell you, VERY often, the teams have absolutely no idea, or no control as to what is written on there. It's only the official site in name because it's run by major league baseball employees. Mets.com has very, very little to do what the mets organization themselves with the articles and such.....in the same way that cubs.com has very little to do with the cubs.
    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Exactly, Mandrake - exactly.
    And gee, have we never had any weird Mets rumors out of the Wilpon regime over the years....any ham-handed media relations....any bizarre decisions on handling bad news? Hmmmm....no, I can't believe the above-board "Hall of Fame" new management team would ever try to create a new conventional wisdom about a beloved all-time Mets player!

and there you go bad mouthing the new front office with ZERO evidence again......shocking.

It's nice to have a front office who actually values OBP.......it's just too bad some of our fans can't see it. We need more Jeff Francouer's baby!!

The optimist in me would like to think that they are just setting us up to think we are about to be disappointed by the loss of Reyes only to surprise us all by giving us some good news and a long denied moment of sunshine by keeping him.....

I'm trying my hardest to be a glass is half full kinda guy with this Reyes situation.
    New York (N.L.)
    1888, 1889, 1904, 1905, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1917, 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1933, 1936, 1937, 1951, 1954, 1969, 1973, 1986, 2000

Brooklyn (N.L.)

Allen Barra wrote, "he's been one of the best defensive shortstops in the game over the past decade."

Barra likes stats, so I wonder which ones he's been using. Reyes has been up and down in the field over the years -- down last year, for example.
    Just on snap visual judgment, Reyes has never really impressed me as all that great in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by VIBaseball View Post
    Allen Barra wrote, "he's been one of the best defensive shortstops in the game over the past decade."

Barra likes stats, so I wonder which ones he's been using. Reyes has been up and down in the field over the years -- down last year, for example.
    Just on snap visual judgment, Reyes has never really impressed me as all that great in the field.
    He isn't gold glove great but he is far from horrible and is not a liability in my opinion.
    New York (N.L.)

Brooklyn (N.L.)

Quote Originally Posted by metfan13 View Post
    Worse than trading a future HoF pitcher?
    If you mean Nolan Ryan you have to remember that was called a win for the Mets the day it was done.

Quote Originally Posted by ribant View Post
    If you mean Nolan Ryan you have to remember that was called a win for the Mets the day it was done.
    Jim Fregosi... What a terrible day that was. Reyes will NEVER be 1/10th as good as Nolan Ryan was. Nolan Ryan changed the game. Jose Reyes is a Rickey Henderson type (and that's a stretch). Henderson didn't change the game. Reyes isn't worth keeping unless he 1. Proves he can walk, 2. Proves he can still hit. 3. Proves he can still run. Otherwise, dump him.

Quote Originally Posted by pstein View Post
    Jim Fregosi... What a terrible day that was. Reyes will NEVER be 1/10th as good as Nolan Ryan was. Nolan Ryan changed the game. Jose Reyes is a Rickey Henderson type (and that's a stretch). Henderson didn't change the game. Reyes isn't worth keeping unless he 1. Proves he can walk, 2. Proves he can still hit. 3. Proves he can still run. Otherwise, dump him.
    I Love Jose as much as anyone, one of the best shortstops in the game, bar none......but he is nowhere close to what Rickey Henderson was in his prime.........and though you cant really compare hitters and pitchers.... Rickey was definitely a more valuable player than Nolan Ryan.....who, while very, very good and a well deserving hall of famer....is also insanely overrated in some circles.

Quote Originally Posted by m8644 View Post
    I Love Jose as much as anyone, one of the best shortstops in the game, bar none......but he is nowhere close to what Rickey Henderson was in his prime.........and though you cant really compare hitters and pitchers.... Rickey was definitely a more valuable player than Nolan Ryan.....who, while very, very good and a well deserving hall of famer....is also insanely overrated in some circles.
    I couldnt agree more. Rickey Henderson was one of the greatest players of his generation and yet he is still vastly under-rated.

Nolan Ryan on the other hand in my opinion is the most over-rated pitcher or player or anyone that has ever worn a uniform in the history of baseball.

Pretty much textbook for 'trade bait' Jose Reyes today - showing he's best everyday player on this under-achieving team. Guess it's just building value for the 'braintrust' to deal away....

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Pretty much textbook for 'trade bait' Jose Reyes today - showing he's best everyday player on this under-achieving team. Guess it's just building value for the 'braintrust' to deal away....
    I honestly don't think Alderson is going to trade him. If Wilmer Flores was able to stay at SS, I would understand. But at a weak position like SS, there is no way Alderson lets him go.

I wish it were true - and btw, if Alderson does trade him, he's M. Donald Grant II and shouldn't walk around Citi Field without some serious personal protection (you know how some fans can get - either that, or they can stop beer sales to save the GM from danger) - in any case, here's the latest sad speculation:

Notes: Time is right to trade Reyes

Well, the Mets can take comfort in this much: Shortstop Jose Reyes looks great.

“I’ve never had anybody like that,” says manager Terry Collins, who previously managed the Astros and Angels. “(Craig) Biggio is probably the closest I’ve seen.”

Reyes, 27, is the healthiest he has been since 2008. He is 6-for-6 in stolen-base attempts and working diligently to improve his on-base percentage, which currently is .351.

Terrific! Trade him now.

As one rival team official says, referring to Mets GM Sandy Alderson, “Sandy is not going to pay $100 million for a guy who might break down” — particularly given the team’s uncertain finances.

Six players account for nearly two-thirds of the Mets’ $142 million payroll, but three of them — Reyes, right fielder Carlos Beltran and closer Francisco Rodriguez — are potential free agents who likely will be gone after this season.

The Mets are not bereft of shortstop prospects — Ruben Tejada at Triple A, Jordany Valdespin at Double A and the best of all, Wilmer Flores at High Single A. The idea of trading Reyes would be to acquire additional prospects with the goal of building a more well-rounded club.

Shortstop is a thin position throughout the sport. The Giants, Angels, Reds, Brewers and Cardinals are among the teams who would benefit significantly from the addition of Reyes.

lol at taking an article seriously where the writer of the article thinks that Wilmer Flores is going to stay at shortstop........if Rosenthal (the writer) had done ANY research at all, he'd know that there is literally not one single person anywhere who thinks Flores is staying at shortstop. The guy has the body of Miguel Cabrera, and the footspeed as well. There is NO chance he stays there and everyone knows it. Yes he can hit, he's quite gifted with potential at the plate......but he has corner position written all over him.....and it's sad that a writer of a national article cant do the damm research for it.

But hey, let's keep listening to that "expert" sports media, they always know what they're talking about, all the time.

Rosenthal is a hack writer. Flores isn't staying at SS with that big body of his.

I like Reyes and want him to stay but not for the amount of money he will command. Now if we was getting on base at a .400 clip I might consider resigning him. But I just can't see us paying 100 million for a leadoff hitter who is just average at getting on base. I'd offer 4 years 50 mil tops, if not then adios Jose.

Quote Originally Posted by majorleads View Post
    I like Reyes and want him to stay but not for the amount of money he will command. Now if we was getting on base at a .400 clip I might consider resigning him. But I just can't see us paying 100 million for a leadoff hitter who is just average at getting on base. I'd offer 4 years 50 mil tops, if not then adios Jose.
    I'd go for something like this. Anything more, I would refuse.

Quote Originally Posted by CokeMachineGlow View Post
    I'd go for something like this. Anything more, I would refuse.
    If he remains healthy, and thats a big if - he will get 2.5-5 million more a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    If he remains healthy, and thats a big if - he will get 2.5-5 million more a year.
    Of course he will if he stays gimp free for the entire season. Thank God though that Omar is long gone and the Bernie Madoff ATM card has been cut up. Now we have to actually make good baseball decisions and signing Jose Reyes to a guaranteed 6+ year contract at around 100 million is franchise suicide for a franchise without unlimited resources.

Not sure what the Nats situation is at SS but if they need one then Jose will end up there. Washington DC has been flush with a ton of cash the past 2 years. Shocker.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast