Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Josť Reyes Watch

Quote Originally Posted by ribant View Post
    I don't have the slightest idea if they plan on building a Latin american all star team or not, but the previous ownership did just that, won the WS, lost money anyway, and wound up breaking up the team.
    But this time, the Fish have their own ballpark, which should allow them to increase their revenue stream.

Two positives in case you think the Mets still have a shot at Reyes...

Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald was told by a source that Hanley Ramirez is "not at all pleased" at the prospect of changing positions if the Marlins sign Jose Reyes.
    In addition, while Ramirez is the godfather to Reyes' daughter, Spencer hears that "they aren't the friends many portray." Ramirez will probably need to change positions in a few years, regardless of whether the Marlins sign Reyes, but they risk making him very unhappy and perhaps demand a trade

and

Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said Monday that he has spoken with Jose Reyes' agent since he visited the Marlins last week.
    The Marlins reportedly walked away from last week's meeting confident that they'll be able to sign Reyes, but Alderson said Monday that he doesn't expect a quick resolution. And that makes sense. Regardless of what may have been offered, Reyes' representatives would be smart to do their due diligence and see if they can find more money elsewhere.

The Marlins offer to Reyes was 90 million for 6 years. That is much lower than I expected. Thats 15 million a year and I thats what I wanted the Mets to pay for him. I think if Wilpon loses Reyes for 15 million a year he needs to be executed on Pay Per View.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    The Marlins offer to Reyes was 90 million for 6 years. That is much lower than I expected. Thats 15 million a year and I thats what I wanted the Mets to pay for him. I think if Wilpon loses Reyes for 15 million a year he needs to be executed on Pay Per View.
    I would pay to see that
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Reyes is gone. Signed by the fish. 6 years 106 million. The Mets didnt even make an offer. More great news. Cant wait for big signings like Matt Capps and Kelly Shoppach to make us forget this. SMH

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Quote Originally Posted by theAmazingMet View Post
    Reyes is gone. Signed by the fish. 6 years 106 million. The Mets didnt even make an offer. More great news. Cant wait for big signings like Matt Capps and Kelly Shoppach to make us forget this. SMH

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb
    I guess we can close this thread. The only thing we will watch Jose Reyes do now is leave NY.

The Marlins gave Jose Reyes a $100+ contract to play 3-4 seasons over 6 years.

The Mets were smart to not bid high on a guy who had a (shortened) career year in the last year of his contract.

Thanks for the memories, Jose... NEXT!

I knew this was coming...

But it's still a sad day.

This is one I'm pinning on the owners and GMs; even with the injuries, Jose was a player that the Mets should ahve been able to re-sign, and weren't able to, NOT because of Alderson's failings--so pack in that argument and now, Strawman, before you start--but simply because they, the Mets, a NEW YORK MARKET FRANCHISE...

Couldn't muster the money.

THAT is embarrassing...and now it's officially cost us.

First Beltran, then K-Rod, now Reyes...

If my 49ers didn't just win their first division title and qualify for the playoffs for the first time in a decade...BUT STILL! GAH!

Tejada looks like at least a competent replacement, but still...he's not Jose...not that we've seen, anyway...

I'll miss you, Jose...and I'll STILL root you on every time you come to bat!
    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

At least Wilpon was correct -- he didn't get Crawford money.

Well, regardless of whether the deal makes financial sense, for Florida or any other ball club, including the Mets, the loss of Reyes is an emotional blow to the franchise.

Do the Mets get any kind of compensation? I heard conflicting information about draft pick compensation for free agents in the new CBA.

Quote Originally Posted by EasilyFound View Post
    Do the Mets get any kind of compensation? I heard conflicting information about draft pick compensation for free agents in the new CBA.
    The team will receive the Marlins' second-round pick as well as a supplemental pick in the 2012 draft for their loss.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Sandy Alderson at the Winter Meetings alleges Reyes was a priority for the Mets. According to Alderson, the Mets lost $70 million dollars last year and he didn't believe the asking price fit the Mets budget. The Dodgers had no problem signing Kemp and Capuano to big money contracts despite the McCourt debacle. However, the Mets are outbid by the Miami Marlins. The Wilpons are an embarrassment.

Think about that for a moment...

NEW YORK...outbid by MIAMI.

Sorta like the US being outgunned by Guam...no offense to anyone here from Guam...
    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Quote Originally Posted by Shea Knight View Post
    Sorta like the US being outgunned by Guam...no offense to anyone here from Guam...
    The Mets are more like Poland.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    The Mets are more like Poland.
    Well, the point is, if they're Poland, it's only because Czar Freddie the Frugal has done F***ed up good! >

Wasn't the first time. Lebron chose the Heat over the Knicks last season.

Well Guam is a protectorate of the US, so they have just as many guns as us in a sense.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920