• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NYMets523
    Retired User
    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Strawman View Post

Well it's started - if Sandy "Bud" Alderson trades Reyes he might get tossed bodily off the Pepsi porch. He's the best player on the team, not close (a low bar, admittedly).
    What an idiot fan. His bag is basically saying "I think the team has too many Hispanic players, but still keep Reyes."
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

• AJbaseball00024
      Rozay.
      • Jun 2009

Beat writers are coming around, even John Harper of the News who had been pushing a Reyes trade (and a clearly a very pro-Alderson guy):

At the Post, Mike Vaccaro sets up Alderson as M. Donald Grant - and rightly so - if he makes the ultimate false move:

Yes...indeed to quote the wise Shea Knight:

REYES CAN AND MUST BE KEPT.
      For the 10000000x time you knucklehead, Alderson does NOT have control over whether Reyes stays are not. Alderson can get on his knees, bow down to Fred Wilpon, and kiss and lick his ancient crusty feet, and beg to him to give him the required money to keep Reyes. If Wilpon says no, he MUST follow orders and let him go.
      Just call me a sports fan.

Comment

• Shea Knight
        Metsistentialist Thinker
        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by AJbaseball00024 View Post
        For the 10000000x time you knucklehead, Alderson does NOT have control over whether Reyes stays are not. Alderson can get on his knees, bow down to Fred Wilpon, and kiss and lick his ancient crusty feet, and beg to him to give him the required money to keep Reyes. If Wilpon says no, he MUST follow orders and let him go.
        Really?

If Alderson wa all but appointed by MLB to the team, do you really think WILPON, the man who RUINED the team and precipitated this whole mess, has the last say?

Fred: Please, I've effed up royally...on just about every level...PLEASE help me keep my team!
        Bud: You come to me on this, the day of the World Series Opener, and ask of me this favor...which I shall grant.
        Fred: Oh, thank you, THANK YOU Commish-Father!
        Bud: But remember--should there come a time I might want a favor of you...you will do it.
        Fred: Of course, Commish-Father, of course!

A few months later...

Bud: You WILL keep the Mets a viable NYC franchise, this is a big market, and I do not want any...mishaps.
        Fred: But I don't really want to shell out money for Reyes, see, I have this idea to--
        Bud: You WILL do this favor for me...now, get out, before I have your horse--
        Fred: NO!!! Not my pony!

(But seriously, all bad "Godfather" jokes aside...Alderson/MLB has the final say here, NOT Fred "Hanging By a Thread" Wilpon.

REYES CAN AND MUST BE KEPT.)
        "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

• Paulypal
          Met Fan Re-Set 2020
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
          Really?

If Alderson wa all but appointed by MLB to the team, do you really think WILPON, the man who RUINED the team and precipitated this whole mess, has the last say?

Fred: Please, I've effed up royally...on just about every level...PLEASE help me keep my team!
          Bud: You come to me on this, the day of the World Series Opener, and ask of me this favor...which I shall grant.
          Fred: Oh, thank you, THANK YOU Commish-Father!
          Bud: But remember--should there come a time I might want a favor of you...you will do it.
          Fred: Of course, Commish-Father, of course!

A few months later...

Bud: You WILL keep the Mets a viable NYC franchise, this is a big market, and I do not want any...mishaps.
          Fred: But I don't really want to shell out money for Reyes, see, I have this idea to--
          Bud: You WILL do this favor for me...now, get out, before I have your horse--
          Fred: NO!!! Not my pony!

(But seriously, all bad "Godfather" jokes aside...Alderson/MLB has the final say here, NOT Fred "Hanging By a Thread" Wilpon.

REYES CAN AND MUST BE KEPT.)
          Clueless Joe Jackson listen to me...... Alderson can suggest to keep Reyes, but unless he is paying him he has no say at the end of the day. I really dont know whats so hard to understand about any of this.

Do you think MLB is going to subsidize Reyes' contract? Caffeine my friend is your answer because anyone that thinks anyone other than Fred is in control of paying Reyes needs to wake up. I am sure MLB would love to see the Mets sign Reyes but they are not giving a dime to get it done. Why would they?

Did they give the Royals money to sign Beltran 8 years ago? Did they give the Pirates money to sign Bonds in 1993? No they didnt and those players were at least as important to the franchise as Reyes is to the Mets. Do you think NY has a special place in Bud's heart? Get real.

You guys are confusing what you want with what reality actually is.

Another word of advice..............Lay off the Godfather.

Comment

• milladrive
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by m8644 View Post
            if you're comparing M Donald Grant to Alderson you're so lost you cant ever be found at this point. It's sad, it really is.
            Originally posted by AJbaseball00024 View Post
            Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
            Clueless Joe Jackson listen to me...... Alderson can suggest to keep Reyes, but unless he is paying him he has no say at the end of the day. I really dont know whats so hard to understand about any of this.

Do you think MLB is going to subsidize Reyes' contract? Caffeine my friend is your answer because anyone that thinks anyone other than Fred is in control of paying Reyes needs to wake up. I am sure MLB would love to see the Mets sign Reyes but they are not giving a dime to get it done. Why would they?

Did they give the Royals money to sign Beltran 8 years ago? Did they give the Pirates money to sign Bonds in 1993? No they didnt and those players were at least as important to the franchise as Reyes is to the Mets. Do you think NY has a special place in Bud's heart? Get real.

Listen up, folks, I'll say this once. When we interact with other members, even familiar members here in the team forum, we shall behave civilly and with as much respect as you can muster. Name calling is and will continue to be unacceptable, and I won't tolerate it.
            Put it in the books.

Comment

• Paulypal
              Met Fan Re-Set 2020
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
              Listen up, folks, I'll say this once. When we interact with other members, even familiar members here in the team forum, we shall behave civilly and with as much respect as you can muster. Name calling is and will continue to be unacceptable, and I won't tolerate it.
              I used Clueless Joe Jackson with the utmost respect and as a term of endearment.

Comment

• milladrive
                • Sep 2006

I used Clueless Joe Jackson with the utmost respect and as a term of endearment.
                lol... ya know something, Pauly, I believe you. ...probably because I know you and your rapport with Strawman. No worries, sir.

It was just a blanket statement I felt needed to be said when I saw all three posts lumped together.
                Put it in the books.

Comment

• Paulypal
                  Met Fan Re-Set 2020
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                  lol... ya know something, Pauly, I believe you. ...probably because I know you and your rapport with Strawman. No worries, sir.

It was just a blanket statement I felt needed to be said when I saw all three posts lumped together.
                  Actually I used it with Shea Knight, but I would with Strawman also. I honestly didnt mean to disrespect anyone and apologize if any offense was taken. We just differ in opinion but we all want the same for our team.

Comment

• EasilyFound
                    • Jun 2008

Very frustrating. Reyes and Beltran shining in their walk years. All of a sudden, you can't keep Beltran out of the line up. Too bad players don't play every year like it was their walk year. That said, I want to keep Reyes as much as the next person, even though I want to pull out his hair -- not mine -- when he gets picked off first as if asleep getting back to first base after a pitch or gets thrown out at 3B on a grounder to SS. How can that be? How? Reyes is an excellent player, but there has to be one qualifier -- when healthy. And that is a pretty big qualifier if Reyes is looking -- as I assume he will be -- for a 7 year contract. That is a lot of money to put into a player who relies heavily on speed for his game and who has a history of not being able to get onto the field every day. Do you give him Crawford $$$$ if that is what it takes to sign him?

Comment

• Paulypal
                      Met Fan Re-Set 2020
                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by EasilyFound View Post
                      Very frustrating. Reyes and Beltran shining in their walk years. All of a sudden, you can't keep Beltran out of the line up. Too bad players don't play every year like it was their walk year. That said, I want to keep Reyes as much as the next person, even though I want to pull out his hair -- not mine -- when he gets picked off first as if asleep getting back to first base after a pitch or gets thrown out at 3B on a grounder to SS. How can that be? How? Reyes is an excellent player, but there has to be one qualifier -- when healthy. And that is a pretty big qualifier if Reyes is looking -- as I assume he will be -- for a 7 year contract. That is a lot of money to put into a player who relies heavily on speed for his game and who has a history of not being able to get onto the field every day. Do you give him Crawford $$$$ if that is what it takes to sign him?
                      Easily Found great points. Thats a big problem with putting 5-7 years into a injury prone speed player. We all want Reyes here and he is showing what kind of player he is capable of when healthy which makes it difficult to trade him, but I believe thats whats going to happen.

If you want to look at from Beltrans point of view - I am sure he knows he is going to get traded if he plays well, and set up his next contract. I am sure he wants out of here because under no circumstances is he going to be signed here. He is probably looking forward to that call.

Comment

• Shea Knight
                        Metsistentialist Thinker
                        • Jun 2009

You're comparing the KC and PIT markets to NYC?

Granted I don't live there, but I'm pretty sure the NYC market is just about infinitely more valuable to Selig and MLB and anyone in general looking to market a team or product than Kansas City or Pittsburgh...

Also--why, with "The Godfather" suggestion? I've only seen parts of the first one, but it seems like an AMAZING movie...it's the only film series I'm aware of to have two films win Best Picture--not that BP means too mcuh, as such films can fade into obscurity while box office bombs like "Duck Soup" can go on to be preserved by the Library of Congress and showcase the amazing awesomeness that is Chico, Harpo, Zeppo, and Groucho Marx, but I digress--so really...why the Godfather hatred?

And those teams lost Beltran and Bonds because they're in small markets, NOT because of a terrible owner who lost his money with a crook and a Ponzi scheme.

I'm not saying Selig will say "YOU MUST SIGN REYES OR DIE," but I do think he put in Alderson there to keep the club at a reasonable budget--for NYC standards, which, again, is DIFFERENT than KC or PIT--and at the same time keep the club competitive as...well, again, when a NYC team is competitive, that means more TV revenue and the like for the league, and as big markets like CHI and NYC sustain smaller markets like the aforementioned KC and PIT, keeping the Mets a competitive team is good for the league overall.

And to be draw fans and TV revenue and thus help the league, players like Reyes are needed.

(But I agree--caffeine is a wonderful thing!)
                        "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

• Paulypal
                          Met Fan Re-Set 2020
                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
                          You're comparing the KC and PIT markets to NYC?

Granted I don't live there, but I'm pretty sure the NYC market is just about infinitely more valuable to Selig and MLB and anyone in general looking to market a team or product than Kansas City or Pittsburgh...

Also--why, with "The Godfather" suggestion? I've only seen parts of the first one, but it seems like an AMAZING movie...it's the only film series I'm aware of to have two films win Best Picture--not that BP means too mcuh, as such films can fade into obscurity while box office bombs like "Duck Soup" can go on to be preserved by the Library of Congress and showcase the amazing awesomeness that is Chico, Harpo, Zeppo, and Groucho Marx, but I digress--so really...why the Godfather hatred?

And those teams lost Beltran and Bonds because they're in small markets, NOT because of a terrible owner who lost his money with a crook and a Ponzi scheme.

I'm not saying Selig will say "YOU MUST SIGN REYES OR DIE," but I do think he put in Alderson there to keep the club at a reasonable budget--for NYC standards, which, again, is DIFFERENT than KC or PIT--and at the same time keep the club competitive as...well, again, when a NYC team is competitive, that means more TV revenue and the like for the league, and as big markets like CHI and NYC sustain smaller markets like the aforementioned KC and PIT, keeping the Mets a competitive team is good for the league overall.

And to be draw fans and TV revenue and thus help the league, players like Reyes are needed.

(But I agree--caffeine is a wonderful thing!)
                          Obviously NY is a bigger market but does that mean baseball can and will show partiality to NY? It cant. So you really think MLB is going to subsidize a big Reyes contract? Amazing.

Whats the difference between a broke NY or a small market owner? Nothing....not enough money is not enough money no matter how you slice it.

I also disagree that keeping the Mets competitive is good for the league. The Mets havent been made the playoffs in 5 years and baseball has flourished. NY already has a team that makes the playoffs it doesnt really need to two to shine in baseballs eyes.

Also...I love the Godfather movies ( 1 & 2). I just dont want to see their name run through the mud with some bad analogies.

Comment

• Strawman
                            • Mar 2009

Obviously NY is a bigger market but does that mean baseball can and will show partiality to NY? It cant. So you really think MLB is going to subsidize a big Reyes contract? Amazing.

Whats the difference between a broke NY or a small market owner? Nothing....not enough money is not enough money no matter how you slice it.

I also disagree that keeping the Mets competitive is good for the league. The Mets havent been made the playoffs in 5 years and baseball has flourished. NY already has a team that makes the playoffs it doesnt really need to two to shine in baseballs eyes.

Also...I love the Godfather movies ( 1 & 2). I just dont want to see their name run through the mud with some bad analogies.
                            You mean like Tattaglia and Barzini in relationship to Selig and Alderson? After all, we've already got a Fredo....
                            Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• milladrive
                              • Sep 2006

You mean like Tattaglia and Barzini in relationship to Selig and Alderson? After all, we've already got a Fredo....
                              Put it in the books.

Comment

• Strawman
                                • Mar 2009

To continue the "Reyes is irreplaceable" analysis .... right now Jose Reyes

- Leads the NL in doubles
                                - Leads the NL in triples
                                - Leads the NL in extra basehits
                                - Leads the NL in plate appearances
                                - 2nd in NL in total bases
                                - 2nd in NL in hits
                                - 2nd in NL in stolen bases

And on down the line in top 10 offensive categories...

Defensively he's second in zone rating to Hanley Ramirez but has made only 2 errors to HR's 6....

We must retain Mr. Reyes.
                                Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X