Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigRon
    • Jan 2009

[QUOTE=Wade8813;1867620]BigRon's lineup is potent, but it's not as strong compared to mine as he'd have you believe.

Leadoff Hitter: Cobb beats Wagner by a large margin in basically every offensive category. Positional adjustment doesn't matter, because both teams obviously have one player at each position. Cobb had significantly better BA, OB, and SLG - Cobb is ahead by about 40 points in each category, which is huge for a single season and ridiculous for a career.QUOTE]

To clarify- I never said or implied that Wagner was Cobb's equal as a hitter. What I did say was that his power was as good as Cobb's- and it was. Cobb's .045 advantage in SA is driven almost completely by his BA advantage. SA isn't the correct indicator of power- isolated power (ISO) is. Cobb's career ISO is .092- Wagner's is .080. But, because Wagner played in an even more power-depressed time/league than Cobb, his RELATIVE ISO is higher than Cobb's- 174% of league average compared to 159%. Both guys had excellent power for their time, but Wagner's was at least as good as Cobb's- maybe better.

I agree that Cobb was a better hitter than Wagner, but the margin is pretty modest.

Comment

• BigRon
      • Jan 2009

Where's Brad, No Roids, and RMB? We need votes!

Comment

• Chadwick
        Chasing Cooperstown
        • Sep 2002

One Off Bums win the Series.
        "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
        "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
        "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
        "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

• ian2813
          야구
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Brad Harris View Post
          One Off Bums win the Series.
          Wow! And to think Ron never seemed to be able to draft the players he was targeting!
          Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

• Chadwick
            Chasing Cooperstown
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by ian2813 View Post
            Wow! And to think Ron never seemed to be able to draft the players he was targeting!
            Just the players I was targeting. LOL
            "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
            "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards

Comment

• Chadwick
              Chasing Cooperstown
              • Sep 2002

This was the most fun I've had with any of these drafts, by the way. Kudos to Ty for the idea!

Comment

• BigRon
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Brad Harris View Post
                This was the most fun I've had with any of these drafts, by the way. Kudos to Ty for the idea!
                That was terrific. This and the alphabet draft were the most enjoyable I've been in. Great idea, Ty. I'm looking forward to another one sometime.

Comment

• Wade8813
                  The Dark Knight = Amazing
                  • Jul 2006

Congratulations, Ron!

I had a feeling you'd win, but I was hoping to at least put up a bit more of a fight. Ah well, I had fun, and learned a bit more about how to handle future drafts.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Comment

• BigRon
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Wade8813 View Post
                    Congratulations, Ron!

I had a feeling you'd win, but I was hoping to at least put up a bit more of a fight. Ah well, I had fun, and learned a bit more about how to handle future drafts.
                    Thanks, Wade. Even though I often had trouble drafting who I wanted (Ithink we were all in that boat!) I felt good about my team. Actually, I thought all the teams were strong- several of the votes were REALLY tough.

Anyhow, lots of fun for everyone.

Comment

• No Roids
                      • Jan 2011

Sorry I missed the voting, the last few days were very hectic at work.
                      Congrats to RMB!

And yes-this was a great draft idea!

Ian and I are both working on alternate versions that we hope to trot out in the near future.

Comment

• Tyrus4189Cobb
                        Gator wrastler
                        • May 2007

:applaud::applaud::applaud:Thank-you, :applaud::applaud:Thank-you. No, please, thank-you.

I'm glad everyone enjoyed themselves. Hopefully, someone will concoct another classic draft.

And congrats to BigRon's One Off Bums
                        "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X