Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Rare Ty Cobb pictures

7/21/1910

Ty Cobb - 1921

A strange variation on the Detroit "D". Not to mention, the D on his jersey is torn. Looks like he's sporting a black arm-band on his left arm too. ~B (The photo is 1921, and the armband is in tribute to Ray Chapman who was killed the year before. Whenever you see a team with that armband, it's 1921, probably.)

Second picture, an unbelievable assembly of HOF'ers at Toot's place in NYC including Ty. Could you imagine walking in there that day with a blank baseball for autographs!!
    (This Hall of Fame shot must have been taken in 1951. Foxx/Ott were elected in 1951, and Arlie Latham died November 29, 1952. Also, since Harry Heilmann/Paul Waner were elected in 1952, and do not appear in this photo, it must be at the 1951 Cooperstown induction ceremonies.)

Ty's Championship Watch

Here's a picture of the watch that Ty Cobb received as a member of the 1908 A.L. Champion Detroit Tigers. This was in the days before rings were given. It came up for auction several years ago, I don't remember what it went for. Quite a lot I'm sure.
    Oh, and Bill....if you've got correct info/dates about any of the pic's, I'm sure we'd all love to hear it in the spirit of historical correctness.
    Cheers! ~B

William go ahead I know your a big Ty Cobb fan and you've been studying him for a long time. I just hope that you enjoy the pictures that I have posted. I'll be posting some fresh ones soon as well, hopefully you'll them them as well.

Ty Cobb advertised in the paper

Very rare Baseball card

Ty Cobb with his teamates 1907

Ty Cobb posing with a Bat: 1913

Ty Cobb staring at someone: 1913

Addie Joss' Death Benefit Game, Monday, July 24, 1911
    Here is what we have.---http://baseball-fever.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=81

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoge H Ruth View Post
    William go ahead I know your a big Ty Cobb fan and you've been studying him for a long time. I just hope that you enjoy the pictures that I have posted. I'll be posting some fresh ones soon as well, hopefully you'll them them as well.
    OK, George, I will. I am a huge Ty fan, and thought I'd seem bout most of his photos. But you've been able to find some new ones I'd not seen before.

It looks like the Library of Congress website, but I could be wrong. I've searched that site for Ty pics before, and must have overlooked some that you've found.

Also, the ones I found were smaller, and when I blew them up, they distorted. So, I am delighted that you, locke40 and Bsmile have found some new previously undiscovered 'buried gold', that had eluded me!!! You have certainly made my day. These and the rare Babe Ruth shots are a wonderful way to wake up! This is just so satisfying.

Any links you can share?

Let me do some more research and I'll give you some links my friend.

Last night i've been reading a lot of your Ty Cobb articles, and there's some story's that you posted that I remember my grandfather telling me. Like I said in my previous message, I wish he was still alive, so he could have a nice chit chat with you, he's seen over 30 games of the great Ty Cobb, so he's learned a lot about one of the greatest ball players of all time. I was really young when he told me those stories so I don't remember them all.

I just wish his house never went down in flames because he had great baseball pictures and other valuable stuff of 1900-1930 around, one of the greatest baseball ERA. I remember him showing me a picture of Ty Cobb in one of the games that he went to see him, it was a close up of him, it was faboulous.

But when I have more time i'll find you more pictures and links for ya.

Can't believe I havent found this website earlier.

Hey, Ty had a candy bar too!!

Yeah, Ty Cobb actually had a candy bar for a short while too.

1) Ty Cobb Milk Caramel Nut Bar Wrapper - circa. 1925

2) Advertising board for Ty Cobb Milk Caramel Nut Bar

3) Very rare previously unopened Colgan's Mint Chips (gum) Tin - circa. 1910

4) An ad for Colgan's Mint Chip from The Saturday Evening Post (from the era)

Enjoy! ~B

Blog Entries
    Love you guys! Hope you never stop!! I'm insatiable.

TY's World War I Registration Card

What the heck....I found it, why not post it!?!!
    Apparently from 1916.
    ~B

Ty Cobb swinging, 1928, with the Phil. A's

Ty Cobb staring down

Ty Cobb looking stunning

Ty Cobb with young fan

Ty with Teddy & Ty with Mickey etc.

1) Ty with Ted Williams during Spring Training in Scottsdale, AZ - 1960. This was apparently taken before Ty swore to never talk to Ted again because of a comment Ted made about how Rogers Hornsby outhit Ty a few seasons. A must read about Ty is Al Stump's "Ty Cobb's Wild Ten-Month Fight To Live".

2) Ty with Mickey in the dugout, 1960. Mickey looks a little nervous...Lord knows what Ty is teling him right there.

3) Finally, an ad for wine featuring Ty from 1940. Ummm....ok.

Cheers! ~B

William,
    I found all those Ty pictures from the Library of Congress website. They have a wealth of information over there, and it's all in the public domain!!

Ty with compatriots Sam Crawford and Bobby Veach in the famous Detroit outfield which didn't get along very often:

But they sometimes did!

Quote Originally Posted by BSmile View Post
    A must read about Ty is Al Stump's "Ty Cobb's Wild Ten-Month Fight To Live".
    Except for the fact that it is mostly exaggerations and outright lies.

For instance?

Ty Cobb at a baseball game, chatting with Detroit owner, Walter O. Briggs, at Briggs Stadium, 1930's.

Gehrig, Speaker, Cobb, Ruth: 1928

Carl Hubbell, Ty Cobb, Estel Crabtree,

Danny Olson interviewing Ty Cobb

July 27, 1941: Cobb, Ruth, Speaker:

1924 Tigers

Ty Cobb and Nop Lajoie receive new cars: 1910

Quote Originally Posted by BSmile View Post

For instance?
    Well, his story about Williams and Cobb having a falling out is disputed by Williams himself. Williams later said that Stump was "full of it" and that the invent described in the article was merely invented by Stump.

Stump says in the article that he spent the final 10 months of Cobb's life as his constant companion. In fact, Stump was only with Cobb for a few weeks.

Stump says that Cobb's funeral was only attended by three men from baseball. In fact, hundreds of people from baseball were planning on coming to the funeral when Cobb's daughter, Shirley, asked to have a small private ceremony and for no one to come.

Perhaps Bill or someone else can into more detail on this than I have. Regardless, Stump's article is very, very fantastical.

Ty Cobb with some kids

Cobb signing an autograph in 1925

Ty Cobb picking up the hats on Labor Day

Ok...

Perhaps Bill or someone else can into more detail on this than I have. Regardless, Stump's article is very, very fantastical.

Indeed. Stump's story, on face value, is quite a wild story. I would imagine there would have to be some shreds of truth to it. I'm mostly curious about what Stump descibes as an insane, alcohol infused drive through a snow storm to Carson City.

~B

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast