Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rare Ty Cobb pictures

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoge H Ruth View Post
    William go ahead I know your a big Ty Cobb fan and you've been studying him for a long time. I just hope that you enjoy the pictures that I have posted. I'll be posting some fresh ones soon as well, hopefully you'll them them as well.
    OK, George, I will. I am a huge Ty fan, and thought I'd seem bout most of his photos. But you've been able to find some new ones I'd not seen before.

It looks like the Library of Congress website, but I could be wrong. I've searched that site for Ty pics before, and must have overlooked some that you've found.

Also, the ones I found were smaller, and when I blew them up, they distorted. So, I am delighted that you, locke40 and Bsmile have found some new previously undiscovered 'buried gold', that had eluded me!!! You have certainly made my day. These and the rare Babe Ruth shots are a wonderful way to wake up! This is just so satisfying.

Any links you can share?

Let me do some more research and I'll give you some links my friend.

Last night i've been reading a lot of your Ty Cobb articles, and there's some story's that you posted that I remember my grandfather telling me. Like I said in my previous message, I wish he was still alive, so he could have a nice chit chat with you, he's seen over 30 games of the great Ty Cobb, so he's learned a lot about one of the greatest ball players of all time. I was really young when he told me those stories so I don't remember them all.

I just wish his house never went down in flames because he had great baseball pictures and other valuable stuff of 1900-1930 around, one of the greatest baseball ERA. I remember him showing me a picture of Ty Cobb in one of the games that he went to see him, it was a close up of him, it was faboulous.

But when I have more time i'll find you more pictures and links for ya.

Can't believe I havent found this website earlier.

Hey, Ty had a candy bar too!!

Yeah, Ty Cobb actually had a candy bar for a short while too.

1) Ty Cobb Milk Caramel Nut Bar Wrapper - circa. 1925

2) Advertising board for Ty Cobb Milk Caramel Nut Bar

3) Very rare previously unopened Colgan's Mint Chips (gum) Tin - circa. 1910

4) An ad for Colgan's Mint Chip from The Saturday Evening Post (from the era)

Enjoy! ~B

Blog Entries
    Love you guys! Hope you never stop!! I'm insatiable.

TY's World War I Registration Card

What the heck....I found it, why not post it!?!!
    Apparently from 1916.
    ~B

Ty Cobb swinging, 1928, with the Phil. A's

Ty Cobb staring down

Ty Cobb looking stunning

Ty Cobb with young fan

Ty with Teddy & Ty with Mickey etc.

1) Ty with Ted Williams during Spring Training in Scottsdale, AZ - 1960. This was apparently taken before Ty swore to never talk to Ted again because of a comment Ted made about how Rogers Hornsby outhit Ty a few seasons. A must read about Ty is Al Stump's "Ty Cobb's Wild Ten-Month Fight To Live".

2) Ty with Mickey in the dugout, 1960. Mickey looks a little nervous...Lord knows what Ty is teling him right there.

3) Finally, an ad for wine featuring Ty from 1940. Ummm....ok.

Cheers! ~B

William,
    I found all those Ty pictures from the Library of Congress website. They have a wealth of information over there, and it's all in the public domain!!

Ty with compatriots Sam Crawford and Bobby Veach in the famous Detroit outfield which didn't get along very often:

But they sometimes did!

Quote Originally Posted by BSmile View Post
    A must read about Ty is Al Stump's "Ty Cobb's Wild Ten-Month Fight To Live".
    Except for the fact that it is mostly exaggerations and outright lies.

For instance?

Ty Cobb at a baseball game, chatting with Detroit owner, Walter O. Briggs, at Briggs Stadium, 1930's.

Gehrig, Speaker, Cobb, Ruth: 1928

Carl Hubbell, Ty Cobb, Estel Crabtree,

Danny Olson interviewing Ty Cobb

July 27, 1941: Cobb, Ruth, Speaker:

1924 Tigers

Ty Cobb and Nop Lajoie receive new cars: 1910

For instance?
    Well, his story about Williams and Cobb having a falling out is disputed by Williams himself. Williams later said that Stump was "full of it" and that the invent described in the article was merely invented by Stump.

Stump says in the article that he spent the final 10 months of Cobb's life as his constant companion. In fact, Stump was only with Cobb for a few weeks.

Stump says that Cobb's funeral was only attended by three men from baseball. In fact, hundreds of people from baseball were planning on coming to the funeral when Cobb's daughter, Shirley, asked to have a small private ceremony and for no one to come.

Perhaps Bill or someone else can into more detail on this than I have. Regardless, Stump's article is very, very fantastical.

Ty Cobb with some kids

Cobb signing an autograph in 1925

Ty Cobb picking up the hats on Labor Day

Ok...

Perhaps Bill or someone else can into more detail on this than I have. Regardless, Stump's article is very, very fantastical.

Indeed. Stump's story, on face value, is quite a wild story. I would imagine there would have to be some shreds of truth to it. I'm mostly curious about what Stump descibes as an insane, alcohol infused drive through a snow storm to Carson City.

~B

Blog Entries

Indeed. Stump's story, on face value, is quite a wild story. I would imagine there would have to be some shreds of truth to it. I'm mostly curious about what Stump descibes as an insane, alcohol infused drive through a snow storm to Carson City.

~B
    I remember reading that story when it first came out. In fact, I have it in my files. It didn't bother me. Came out right after Ty died. I well remember Stump's description of that wild descend in a blizzard, from Ty's Lake Tahoe cabin, down that snowy mountain side to Las Vegas. Or was it Reno?

Why would a man who had been accepted by Ty into his confidances, as his friend, choose to portray a friend in such an unattractive way? Al stabbed Ty in the back for the small pittance of a magazine article fee.

That article made Al Stump an unwelcome person in the Cobb family circles. They all resented him and refused to talk to him ever again.

But that article is unimportant. Ty was dying as his cancer traveled from his brain down his spine. He was on pain killer medication, and was also alcoholic by then too. He was pretty lonely and took Stump in. But Stump didn't spend that much time with him. Certainly not 10 full months. More like a few weeks.

Also...

It, of course, should be noted that Stump chose not to share "Ty Cobb's Wild Ten-Month Fight To Live" until AFTER Cobb had passed away...so we'll never really know what did or didn't happen during their time together (for the most part).

But that article is unimportant. Ty was dying as his cancer traveled from his brain down his spine. He was on pain killer medication, and was also alcoholic by then too.

Yeah, whatever the case may be, Stump caught Ty at a really bad time in his life...both physically and mentally. It certainly doesn't make me view "Ty Cobb - The Ballplayer" any differently.

~B

It, of course, should be noted that Stump chose not to share "Ty Cobb's Wild Ten-Month Fight To Live" until AFTER Cobb had passed away...so we'll never really know what did or didn't happen during their time together (for the most part).
    That could be viewed as a "good part" on Al's part if you want to view it that way.

However, I view it as crappy in TWO ways. First, by publishing it after Cobb's death, he knew that Cobb wouldn't be around to challenge the veracity of the statements contained therein. Second, he waited till after Cobb died so the article would have more interest and thus make him a more popular person. Although I can't say that I blame him for the second one; that was just a clever business decision.

That could be viewed as a "good part" on Al's part if you want to view it that way.

Well, that's not the way I would view it. I don't know, nor will I ever know what happened during their meetings together. For all I know, Al could have totally made it all up! Seriously, I'm not on either person's side in this debate. Like I said though, it doesn't change the way I view Ty Cobb's magnificent achievments on the ballfield.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OleMissCub View Post

However, I view it as crappy in TWO ways. First, by publishing it after Cobb's death, he knew that Cobb wouldn't be around to challenge the veracity of the statements contained therein. Second, he waited till after Cobb died so the article would have more interest and thus make him a more popular person. Although I can't say that I blame him for the second one; that was just a clever business decision.
    This isn't a debate on Al Stump's taste in publishing that article. His piece never bothered me in the least. But it sure enraged Ty's best friend, Taylor Spink!

Al Stump's article, 'Ty Cobb's Wild, 10-Month Fight To Live', appeared in 'True, the Man's Magazine', in December, 1961. It came out in 3 installments.

Taylor Spink, of the Sporting News, had just finished publishing a series on Ty, by Harry Salinger. Harry had died in 1958. Taylor republished his Ty series from from May 24, 1950 - July, 1950. in 25 installments from August to November, 1961.

And just as they finished, here comes this Stump article. Now Taylor rises to the occasion and fires up the presses!
    And Taylor was perfectly positioned to do something about it. Taylor spent from August, 1961 to February, 1962, having many different friends of Ty to refute the many unkind criticisms that Stump had published. Taylor really rammed it up Al's butt with a red-hot poker. Below are just a sampling of the stuff Taylor published, in defense of Ty. Starting in early December, he ran off this pro-Ty series of pieces.

Jack McDonald - December 6, 1961, pp. 15, column 2.
    JG Taylor Spink - December 13, 1961, pp. 3, 4, 14, 20 & 26. (shares letters: 'The Ty Cobb I Knew') (Part 1)
    Fred Haney - December 13, 1961, pp. 14, column 1, & pp. 20 & 26.
    JG Taylor Spink - December 20, pp. 11, 12, 14. (shares letters: 'The Ty Cobb I Knew') (Part 2)
    Pants Rowland, Red Faber, Ray Schalk, Red Ormsby - December 20, pp. 14,
    Sid Keener - December 27, 1961, pp. 11, 12, 14.
    Wilbur Wood - December 27, 1961, pp. 14 (side bar)
    Joe Cronin - January 3, 1962, pp. 17, 18.
    Dr. Stewart Brown - January 3, 1962, pp. 18, 22.
    Eddie Collins - January 3, 1962, pp. 17. (side bar)
    Frank Baker - January 3, 1962, pp. 22.
    Edgar Brands - January 3, 1962. (side bar)
    Ed Bang - January 10, 1962, pp. 13, 14, 20. (Part 1.)
    Del Baker - January 10, 1962, pp. 14.
    W.C. Tuttle - January 10, 1962, pp. 15, column 2. (letter)
    Harry Hooper - January 10, 1962, pp. 15, column 2. (letter)
    Ed Bang - January 17, 1962, pp. 11, 12. (Part 2.)
    Red Ormsby - January 17, 1962, pp. 12, 14.
    C. William 'Bill' Duncan - January 17, 1962, pp. 15. (letter)
    Joe E. Brown - January 24, 1962, pp. 11, 12.
    John F. Steadman - January 24, 1962, pp. 12.
    Al Schacht - January 24, 1962, pp. 12.
    Danny Goodman - January 24, 1962, pp. 15. (letter)
    Zack Taylor - January 24, 1962, pp. 15. (letter)
    Fred Lieb - January 31, 1962, pp. 11, 12.
    Babe Herman - February 7, 1962, pp. 7. (excerpt)
    Ernie Harwell - February 7, 1962, pp. 11.
    Steve O'Neil - February 7, 1962, pp.33. (side bar)
    Jimmy Dykes - February 21, 1962, pp. 31. (side bar)

The Sporting News put out one side-bar after another, article after article. Taylor looked after his friends interests like a father. Stump's professional reputation took a huge hit as month after month, his credibility was shredded beyond repair.

Everyone challenged his motives. Everyone questioned why he would attack someone who had taken him to Coopertown, to Lake Tahoe, had paid his traveling expenses, picked up his meal tabs, etc.

Guess how many other sports celebrities invited Al to do work for them? ZERO. His sports gigs ended. Al waited 35 years to publish his next Cobb project. His book Cobb came out in 1994, and basicly picked up where his article had left off. He waited until most of his critics had died. Al was a class act.

Ok...

William,
    Thanks for the insight regarding Taylor Spink...very interesting....but now...
    Back to some images!!!

1) Ty Cobb on a 1928 Tour of Japan

2) A really cool 1940's "See-How Movie Viewer" toy featuring Ty.

3) Very rare 1910's Ty Cobb tobacco tin.

Cheers! ~B

Quote Originally Posted by Geoge H Ruth View Post
    Ty Cobb advertised in the paper
    That drawing of Ty looks like an English country parson from the 1800s...I have a REALLY hard time imagining Ty wearing a suit like that in public.
    I wonder if "Royal Tailors" caught on??

What the heck....I found it, why not post it!?!!
    Apparently from 1916.
    ~B
    Draft registration card is more likely from 1917.

Ty's last year with the Tigers. A strange variation on the Detroit "D". Not to mention, the D on his jersey is torn. Looks like he's sporting a black arm-band on his left arm too. ~B (The photo is 1921, and the armband is in tribute to Ray Chapman who was killed the year before. Whenever you see a team with that armband, it's 1921, probably.)
    Attachment 35899
    Teams were wearing armbands in honor of Chapman at least as early as 8/19/1920.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast