Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Rare Ty Cobb pictures

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BSmile View Post
    Perhaps Bill or someone else can into more detail on this than I have. Regardless, Stump's article is very, very fantastical.

Indeed. Stump's story, on face value, is quite a wild story. I would imagine there would have to be some shreds of truth to it. I'm mostly curious about what Stump descibes as an insane, alcohol infused drive through a snow storm to Carson City.

~B
    I remember reading that story when it first came out. In fact, I have it in my files. It didn't bother me. Came out right after Ty died. I well remember Stump's description of that wild descend in a blizzard, from Ty's Lake Tahoe cabin, down that snowy mountain side to Las Vegas. Or was it Reno?

Why would a man who had been accepted by Ty into his confidances, as his friend, choose to portray a friend in such an unattractive way? Al stabbed Ty in the back for the small pittance of a magazine article fee.

That article made Al Stump an unwelcome person in the Cobb family circles. They all resented him and refused to talk to him ever again.

But that article is unimportant. Ty was dying as his cancer traveled from his brain down his spine. He was on pain killer medication, and was also alcoholic by then too. He was pretty lonely and took Stump in. But Stump didn't spend that much time with him. Certainly not 10 full months. More like a few weeks.

Also...

It, of course, should be noted that Stump chose not to share "Ty Cobb's Wild Ten-Month Fight To Live" until AFTER Cobb had passed away...so we'll never really know what did or didn't happen during their time together (for the most part).

But that article is unimportant. Ty was dying as his cancer traveled from his brain down his spine. He was on pain killer medication, and was also alcoholic by then too.

Yeah, whatever the case may be, Stump caught Ty at a really bad time in his life...both physically and mentally. It certainly doesn't make me view "Ty Cobb - The Ballplayer" any differently.

~B

It, of course, should be noted that Stump chose not to share "Ty Cobb's Wild Ten-Month Fight To Live" until AFTER Cobb had passed away...so we'll never really know what did or didn't happen during their time together (for the most part).
    That could be viewed as a "good part" on Al's part if you want to view it that way.

However, I view it as crappy in TWO ways. First, by publishing it after Cobb's death, he knew that Cobb wouldn't be around to challenge the veracity of the statements contained therein. Second, he waited till after Cobb died so the article would have more interest and thus make him a more popular person. Although I can't say that I blame him for the second one; that was just a clever business decision.

That could be viewed as a "good part" on Al's part if you want to view it that way.

Well, that's not the way I would view it. I don't know, nor will I ever know what happened during their meetings together. For all I know, Al could have totally made it all up! Seriously, I'm not on either person's side in this debate. Like I said though, it doesn't change the way I view Ty Cobb's magnificent achievments on the ballfield.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OleMissCub View Post

However, I view it as crappy in TWO ways. First, by publishing it after Cobb's death, he knew that Cobb wouldn't be around to challenge the veracity of the statements contained therein. Second, he waited till after Cobb died so the article would have more interest and thus make him a more popular person. Although I can't say that I blame him for the second one; that was just a clever business decision.
    This isn't a debate on Al Stump's taste in publishing that article. His piece never bothered me in the least. But it sure enraged Ty's best friend, Taylor Spink!

Al Stump's article, 'Ty Cobb's Wild, 10-Month Fight To Live', appeared in 'True, the Man's Magazine', in December, 1961. It came out in 3 installments.

Taylor Spink, of the Sporting News, had just finished publishing a series on Ty, by Harry Salinger. Harry had died in 1958. Taylor republished his Ty series from from May 24, 1950 - July, 1950. in 25 installments from August to November, 1961.

And just as they finished, here comes this Stump article. Now Taylor rises to the occasion and fires up the presses!
    And Taylor was perfectly positioned to do something about it. Taylor spent from August, 1961 to February, 1962, having many different friends of Ty to refute the many unkind criticisms that Stump had published. Taylor really rammed it up Al's butt with a red-hot poker. Below are just a sampling of the stuff Taylor published, in defense of Ty. Starting in early December, he ran off this pro-Ty series of pieces.

Jack McDonald - December 6, 1961, pp. 15, column 2.
    JG Taylor Spink - December 13, 1961, pp. 3, 4, 14, 20 & 26. (shares letters: 'The Ty Cobb I Knew') (Part 1)
    Fred Haney - December 13, 1961, pp. 14, column 1, & pp. 20 & 26.
    JG Taylor Spink - December 20, pp. 11, 12, 14. (shares letters: 'The Ty Cobb I Knew') (Part 2)
    Pants Rowland, Red Faber, Ray Schalk, Red Ormsby - December 20, pp. 14,
    Sid Keener - December 27, 1961, pp. 11, 12, 14.
    Wilbur Wood - December 27, 1961, pp. 14 (side bar)
    Joe Cronin - January 3, 1962, pp. 17, 18.
    Dr. Stewart Brown - January 3, 1962, pp. 18, 22.
    Eddie Collins - January 3, 1962, pp. 17. (side bar)
    Frank Baker - January 3, 1962, pp. 22.
    Edgar Brands - January 3, 1962. (side bar)
    Ed Bang - January 10, 1962, pp. 13, 14, 20. (Part 1.)
    Del Baker - January 10, 1962, pp. 14.
    W.C. Tuttle - January 10, 1962, pp. 15, column 2. (letter)
    Harry Hooper - January 10, 1962, pp. 15, column 2. (letter)
    Ed Bang - January 17, 1962, pp. 11, 12. (Part 2.)
    Red Ormsby - January 17, 1962, pp. 12, 14.
    C. William 'Bill' Duncan - January 17, 1962, pp. 15. (letter)
    Joe E. Brown - January 24, 1962, pp. 11, 12.
    John F. Steadman - January 24, 1962, pp. 12.
    Al Schacht - January 24, 1962, pp. 12.
    Danny Goodman - January 24, 1962, pp. 15. (letter)
    Zack Taylor - January 24, 1962, pp. 15. (letter)
    Fred Lieb - January 31, 1962, pp. 11, 12.
    Babe Herman - February 7, 1962, pp. 7. (excerpt)
    Ernie Harwell - February 7, 1962, pp. 11.
    Steve O'Neil - February 7, 1962, pp.33. (side bar)
    Jimmy Dykes - February 21, 1962, pp. 31. (side bar)

The Sporting News put out one side-bar after another, article after article. Taylor looked after his friends interests like a father. Stump's professional reputation took a huge hit as month after month, his credibility was shredded beyond repair.

Everyone challenged his motives. Everyone questioned why he would attack someone who had taken him to Coopertown, to Lake Tahoe, had paid his traveling expenses, picked up his meal tabs, etc.

Guess how many other sports celebrities invited Al to do work for them? ZERO. His sports gigs ended. Al waited 35 years to publish his next Cobb project. His book Cobb came out in 1994, and basicly picked up where his article had left off. He waited until most of his critics had died. Al was a class act.

Ok...

William,
    Thanks for the insight regarding Taylor Spink...very interesting....but now...
    Back to some images!!!

1) Ty Cobb on a 1928 Tour of Japan

2) A really cool 1940's "See-How Movie Viewer" toy featuring Ty.

3) Very rare 1910's Ty Cobb tobacco tin.

Cheers! ~B

Quote Originally Posted by Geoge H Ruth View Post
    Ty Cobb advertised in the paper
    That drawing of Ty looks like an English country parson from the 1800s...I have a REALLY hard time imagining Ty wearing a suit like that in public.
    I wonder if "Royal Tailors" caught on??

What the heck....I found it, why not post it!?!!
    Apparently from 1916.
    ~B
    Draft registration card is more likely from 1917.

Ty's last year with the Tigers. A strange variation on the Detroit "D". Not to mention, the D on his jersey is torn. Looks like he's sporting a black arm-band on his left arm too. ~B (The photo is 1921, and the armband is in tribute to Ray Chapman who was killed the year before. Whenever you see a team with that armband, it's 1921, probably.)
    Attachment 35899
    Teams were wearing armbands in honor of Chapman at least as early as 8/19/1920.

Ty Cobb Draft Reg. Card

Yup.....
    May 23, 1917 to be exact.

Yup.....
    That's not Cobb's card is it? I wish the backs and fronts of those registration cards matched up. Nearly impossible to run a computer search for the correct backs.

Yup.....
    For Ty it should have said:

Color of Eyes: Gray
    Color of Hair: Light Brown
    Bald: Almost

:-)

Blog Entries

Yup.....
    That is the other side of the piece of paper. It is indeed for Tyrus.

That document is from the World War I Civilian Draft Registration, which included 98% of all US males born between 1873-1898. They are available from Ancestry.com.

I have personally milked those databases dry. They have one's exact date of birth, occupation, employer, eye/hair color, and a ton of other good information. Have given me tons of dates of birth, middle names for my sports writers, prominent baseball figures.

They also have all the Federal Census' from 1790 to 1930, and many other census data too. Many states ran their own.

But the downside is that they do ask for money. It's a for-pay website. But I found out that the Palo Alto Library carries the full range of databases. Now I'm saved $120./year.

Good find.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bkmckenna View Post
    Teams were wearing armbands in honor of Chapman at least as early as 8/19/1920.
    This is true. Some teams adopted the black armbands right away, others later, or the next season.

New batch of Cobb!!!!!

Got some real gems for this posting. I think William might like some of these

1) Very Rare! Ty circa. 1902-04 with the Royston, GA team. That's Ty in the back row, third from the left with the bowler hat on.

2) Ty in action circa. 1920-1921. NOTE that he's wearing that uniform with the ripped D on the jersey and the black armband!!!

3) Large size pic of Ty signing for 1921 with an always cheerful Frank Nevin looking on.

4) Ty crosses the plate after HR #112 at Yankee Stadium in 1926.

5) Ty at home in Georgia, finally retired - 1930.

Cheers! ~B

(p.s. There's a ton of new rare Babe Ruth on the way....)

Blog Entries
    What wonderful shots of Ty. I love you for posting these. I haven't seen many of them! I love when that happens. Where did you dig these up?

If you can include the sources, that'd be great. I always do too. Thanks so much for these fantastic gifts. I feel like a mosquito in a nudist camp. So many folks, so little time.

1) Very Rare! Ty circa. 1902-04 with the Royston, GA team. That's Ty in the back row, third from the left with the bowler hat on.
    Everytime I've seen this shot in a book they list Ty as the runty kid in the front row on the far left. The kid looks much more like Ty than the guy in the bowler hat, in my opinion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OleMissCub View Post
    Everytime I've seen this shot in a book they list Ty as the runty kid in the front row on the far left. The kid looks much more like Ty than the guy in the bowler hat, in my opinion.
    I showed the original shot in the caption above that photo. It does list Ty as on the bottom left. In fact, it names all the boys.

The kid on the top left also looks like Ty.

Well...

I personally can't really say for sure which one is Ty in that pic that I found.
    This is the description it came with:

The Earliest Known Ty Cobb Baseball Photograph. The letter "R" on the gentleman's sweater in the front row is for "Royston," the small Georgia town that grew the legendary Peach. And though a vintage ink notation on verso mistakenly locates the young Tyrus Cobb as seated at far left, the fierce, determined looking young man standing in the back row wearing a straw bowler and bow tie is clearly the future terror of the American League. We date this exceptionally scarce sepia toned photograph to the 1902 to 1904 range, when Ty was fifteen to seventeen years old. He huddles with the team manager and the other eight players of the Royston Nine for this posed studio shot, originally acquired from the estate of a Cobb teammate. A certain degree of wear is to be expected from a century-old photo, though the scattered small holes and assorted wrinkles do not dare to cross paths with the young Cobb.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast