Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rare Ty Cobb pictures

Ty in a Cleveland Uniform ?!!?!?!?!?

Yup...pretty spectacular picture here. I left it in its original panoramic size.
    Here's the explanation of the picture:

This simply remarkable panoramic photograph captures the greatest stars of the American League Dead Ball era, all of whom had convened at Cleveland's League Park on July 24, 1911 for a benefit game to raise money for the widow of Hall of Fame pitcher Addie Joss, whose life had been tragically cut short three months earlier in a virulent bout with meningitis. It must be noted that panoramic photographs were very expensive to produce at this time in history, and as such only those participating in the event were given a copy. Frank "Home Run" Baker's personal photo, offered here, is one of the very few to survive the many decades since. Baker is easy to spot, twelfth from right, dressed in the road grey uniform of his Philadelphia Athletics. Three men to his right is the great Walter Johnson in the midst of a season that saw him pitch six complete game shutouts. Other early gods of the diamond present include Shoeless Joe Jackson, Cy Young, Napoleon Lajoie, Eddie Collins, Smokey Joe Wood and the fiery Ty Cobb, who wears a borrowed Cleveland Naps jersey after forgetting to bring his Tigers togs to the ballpark. Behind the chicken wire that separates the stands from the playing field, scores of fans in dark suits and straw hats clamor to get a look at this outrageous assembly of talent, essentially the first All-Star Game in baseball history.

Cheers! ~B
    (btw....I found some more great Cobb pic's...they'll be up today as well)

The AL All-Stars are fairly easy to identify. Starting with where the Cleveland Indians' players leave off, (don't count their mascot), they are, starting 16th from the right:
    L-R: Clyde Milan, Walter Johnson, Gabby Street, Bobby Wallace, Frank Baker, Jimmy McAleer (Mgr.), Sam Crawford, Tris Speaker, Hal Chase, Russel Ford, Smokey Joe Wood, Paddy Livingston, Germany Schaffer, Ty Cobb, Eddie Collins, Cleveland Indian Jack Graney.
    For the historical record, Cy Young is 10th from the left, Joe Jackson is 11th from the left, and Nap Lajoie is 18th from the left.

Here's an amazing picture that I found, its full of baseball legends.

Here's an amazing picture that I found, its full of baseball legends.

It is a great picture...but it was already posted in this thread (post #21)

Cheers! ~B

Quote Originally Posted by BSmile View Post
    Yup...pretty spectacular picture here. I left it in its original panoramic size.
    Shoeless Joe is listed as 6'1, 200lbs.

Check him out in that photo, there's NO way he's that size. He looks like a shrimp.

Here we have a beautiful (and large) photo of the 1909 American League Champion Detroit Tigers. Everybody is looking pretty sharp here...

Cheers! ~B

1909 Detroit Tigers, 98-54, .645; 3.5 games ahead; WS (L 4-3)---BB-Reference

Top Row: L-R: Harry Tuthill (trainer), Tom Jones, Charlie 'Bossman' Schmidt, Bill Lelivelt, Del Gaynor, Sam Crawford, Matty McIntyre, Ed Killian, Oscar Stanage, Heinie Beckendorf, George Mullen.

Bottom Row: L-R: Davy Jones, Ed Willett, George Moriarty, Ed Summers, Hughie Jennings (Mgr.), Bill Donovan, Ralph Works, Ty Cobb.

Seated at bottom: L-R: Donnie Bush, Charlie O'Leary, Jim Delahanty, George 'Kid' Speers.

Some great images on Getty I found. Just wish the stupid watermark was gone!!

Landis and Cobb, 1924.

Cobb in his Chalmers, 1910.

More of old Ty...

Yup....here we go:

1) Inside of Ty's book, "Science Of Batting". 1944. With a nice Cobb signature

2) I found a larger version of that Ty pic at Shibe Field 1910 picture. Here it is

3) May 27, 1914 Newspaper Insert - New Haven, CT

4) A really nice handwritten letter to Tommy Heinrich's Dad - 12/14/1949

5) Finally...a gorgeous Stall & Dean Gloves Ad Display for Ty.

Just when I think I can't possibly find any more cool Ty Cobb images...well...then I do. Hopefully more to come!

Cheers! ~B

1) Ty Cobb - "Forgotten Play" - Ty shows how to bunt. Newpaper clip...

2) Tyrus Cobb Base Ball Stars Notebook - 1910's

Blog Entries
    I'd love to know who the players in posts #78 and #82 were. Were they identified in the sources?

This is why we need to identify our sources, my brothers. All one need to do is look at the top of the screen, to the address bar, and copy/paste that with your photo. That way, we can all go there and see what other details are given. And maybe we will discover photos that we enjoy that others might not.

Actually, Fever rules ask us all to credit our sources. Thanks for understanding, guys. Please do not let this discourage anyone from continuing to share these incredible treasures with us.

Bill

For Bill.....
    The 1909 Tigers picture...unedited, with the last names on the bottom.

Plus a bonus:
    Ty Cobb - May 23, 1913 (that's all the info I have)

Cheers! ~B

Blog Entries
    Thank you so very much!! The difference in the 2 photos proves you have unparalleled graphic skills. The first one you posted, with your editing, was by far the greater one visually.

But please show the names from now on, OK?? Pretty please. The names of the websites, or links, help the many hundreds of invisible eyes that are following your every posting!!

Also, that one sweet shot of the first All-Star team. Do you have one of the NL team from that 1933 team?

Or a similar one for that Addie Joss Death Benefit game? The traditional photo? That one would be oh so sweet!!! Would be desperate to see that one posted like the 1933 All-Star Team!!---This is the one I'd love to see a large, pristine shot of. http://baseball-fever.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=81

Or, the same would go for the 1917 Tim Murnane Death Benefit Game.---This one.---http://baseball-fever.com/showpost.p...&postcount=100

Here's the other sig I was talking about, I'm hopeful you guys like them. I'll be making more shortly.

Ty & Joe

Well, it appears that Ty is feeding Joe Dimaggio a Georgia Peach...to which I say...WHAT THE HELL?!?!?!?! Hahaha....sadly, I have no details about this picture....but it's a classic.

Cheers! ~B

Blog Entries
    My brothers,

While you guys are still posting phenomenal photos that I've never seen before, I would like to request some help from you. I have some photos that are not up to good standards.

1. Addie Joss Death Benefit Game - http://baseball-fever.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=81

2. Hall of Fame Dedication Ceremonies, July 12, 1939 - http://baseball-fever.com/showpost.p...&postcount=292

And lastly, I would dearly love to improve on what we now have on our great teams. The bottom of this page---
    http://baseball-fever.com/showthread...=40306&page=12

And this page
    http://baseball-fever.com/showthread...=40306&page=13

I've done my level best to find the best, clearest photos of these teams, but many are still dreadful. If anyone can find even a single shot of any of these teams that improves on what we have now, we all would be permanently indebted to you. Sincerely.

You guys seem to have a unique skill at ferreting out incredible images. Far better than I can find.

I would like to request some help from you. I have some photos that are not up to good standards

I do some digging Bill. BTW, I saw those 1907 Tigers pic's and I just HAD to make a GIF out of them.

Cheers! ~B

Here's a great pic:

Ty and "Brick" Owen - April 4, 1911

I do some digging Bill. BTW, I saw those 1907 Tigers pic's and I just HAD to make a GIF out of them.

Cobb Hunting

Ty Cobb with the A's 1927

Here's the explanation of the picture:

This simply remarkable panoramic photograph captures the greatest stars of the American League Dead Ball era, all of whom had convened at Cleveland's League Park on July 24, 1911 for a benefit game to raise money for the widow of Hall of Fame pitcher Addie Joss, whose life had been tragically cut short three months earlier in a virulent bout with meningitis. It must be noted that panoramic photographs were very expensive to produce at this time in history, and as such only those participating in the event were given a copy. Frank "Home Run" Baker's personal photo, offered here, is one of the very few to survive the many decades since. Baker is easy to spot, twelfth from right, dressed in the road grey uniform of his Philadelphia Athletics. Three men to his right is the great Walter Johnson in the midst of a season that saw him pitch six complete game shutouts. Other early gods of the diamond present include Shoeless Joe Jackson, Cy Young, Napoleon Lajoie, Eddie Collins, Smokey Joe Wood and the fiery Ty Cobb, who wears a borrowed Cleveland Naps jersey after forgetting to bring his Tigers togs to the ballpark. Behind the chicken wire that separates the stands from the playing field, scores of fans in dark suits and straw hats clamor to get a look at this outrageous assembly of talent, essentially the first All-Star Game in baseball history.

Cheers! ~B
    (btw....I found some more great Cobb pic's...they'll be up today as well)

The AL All-Stars are fairly easy to identify. Starting with where the Cleveland Indians' players leave off, (don't count their mascot), they are, starting 16th from the right:
    L-R: Clyde Milan, Walter Johnson, Gabby Street, Bobby Wallace, Frank Baker, Jimmy McAleer (Mgr.), Sam Crawford, Tris Speaker, Hal Chase, Russel Ford, Smokey Joe Wood, Eddie Ainsmith, Germany Schaffer, Ty Cobb, Eddie Collins, another Cleveland Indian player.
    For the historical record, Cy Young is 10th from the left, Joe Jackson is 11th from the left, and Nap Lajoie is 18th from the left.

Would like to make a correction to the identities of the players listed. In place of Eddie Ainsmith above....this is actually Paddy Livingston and the Cleveland player on the end of that line is actually Jack Graney, who appears twice in the photo. Graney is also the third guy on the left side of the photo. Due to the process of taking a panoramic photo in those days. Graney had time from when the left side of the photo was taken until the right side of the photo was snapped....to run behind the camera and get at the end of the line on the right side of the photo. Graney was a big practical joker and this photo is a great example of that.

Mike Nola
    Official Historian
    The Shoeless Joe Jackson Virtual Hall of Fame Web Site
    http://www.blackbetsy.com/
    Home of the Joe Jackson model Louisville Slugger baseball bat offer.
    The voice said "Build it and they will come".........and they have!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbetsy View Post
    Would like to make a correction to the identities of the players listed. In place of Eddie Ainsmith above....this is actually Paddy Livingston and the Cleveland player on the end of that line is actually Jack Graney, who appears twice in the photo. Graney is also the third guy on the left side of the photo. Due to the process of taking a panoramic photo in those days. Graney had time from when the left side of the photo was taken until the right side of the photo was snapped....to run behind the camera and get at the end of the line on the right side of the photo. Graney was a big practical joker and this photo is a great example of that.

Mike Nola
    Official Historian
    The Shoeless Joe Jackson Virtual Hall of Fame Web Site
    http://www.blackbetsy.com/
    Home of the Joe Jackson model Louisville Slugger baseball bat offer.
    The voice said "Build it and they will come".........and they have!!!!!
    Thank you, Mike. I stand corrected. You are quite correct. Error on Burgess, again. Am I leading the league in errors yet? Must be.

Bill

Due to the process of taking a panoramic photo in those days. Graney had time from when the left side of the photo was taken until the right side of the photo was snapped....to run behind the camera and get at the end of the line on the right side of the photo. Graney was a big practical joker and this photo is a great example of that.

Hahaha! That is a fantastic bit of information. Thanks so much for your input. I've checked out the www.blackbetsy.com website several times...great stuff. Hopefully you'll have more to add to this site as well.

Cheers! ~B

Ty Cobb in the field with the Tigers 1920

Ty Cobb Hall of Fame plaque 1936(sorry for the size)

Cobb Hand Fans

Here's a Ty Cobb hand fan that looks pretty old. It looks like it was cut by hand from heavy card stock, very rigid about 7.5" across. It might have been a give-a-way at the park or maybe a DIY kit. There's no date on it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I also have a handfan from 1985 with Cobb on one side and Pete Rose on the other commemorating the season Rose broke the all time hits record. I'll post it later as it's too big for my scanner and I don't have access to a digital cam right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Whoa!

Happened to find this gem of a picture today:
    Cy Young, Duffy Lewis, Tris Speaker, Harry Hooper and Ty Cobb - Sept. 28, 1947 at Yankee Stadium. (Babe Ruth Day).

Cheers! ~B

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast