Thread: 1909 Montgomery Climbers - Help Please

1909 Montgomery Climbers - Help Please

Seeking help in identifying the players on this photo of the 1909 Montgomery team. So far, I've found there is no Reach catalog photo available and the Spalding catalog photo does not include names, nor does it appear to be the whole team. Can anyone ID the players row by row? A scan of the photo with names would be great.
    Thanks,
    John

Montgomery Climbers 1909 - PK.jpg

Here is a clearer photo.

1909 Montgomery - Copy.jpg

Elmer Bliss 1st player second row, Jack Lively 2nd player second row . Champ Osteen 1st player bottom row.
    Last edited by Dto7; 01-23-2014 at 10:06 AM. Reason: changed Herb Juul to Jack Lively

Thanks.
    Looks like Ed Gremminger, dead center.

Three more.

Owen Shannon 2nd player in top row. Frosty Thomas 3rd in the top row. George Whiteman last player bottom row.

Next three.

Dan Kerwin 1st player top row. Jud Daley 4th player top row. Hub Hart last player middle row. I also changed Herb Juul to Jack Lively in Post #3.

Don,
    Thanks for all your help. It is obvious you have the skill and passion for this kind of research.
    John

You're welcome John. I have another player for you. Last player top row is Lefty George who pitched 4 games for the Climbers

Here's what we have so far.

Top Row; L-R: Dan Kerwin, Owen Shannon, Frosty Thomas, Jud Daley, Lefty George

Middle Row; L-R: Elmer Bliss, Jack Lively, Ed Grimminger, unknown, Hub Hart

Bottom Row; L-R: Champ Osteen, small boy, bat boy, Ike Rockenfield, George Whiteman

I added Ike Rockenfield, only missing one players name.

Blog Entries
    you guys know alot of big leaguers, but are you sure?
    George Whiteman is deff in the back row, fourth from the left, over Gremingers left shoulder. Check the pics and see if you agree!

Great photo,the Climbers are my fave team! It was fun figuring out who everyone was in this pic.
    Let me know if you decide to part with the original, thats a nice one and i would love to see it in person.

Attachment 134726Attachment 134727Attachment 134728Attachment 134729
    I have Evan Longorias hat

Blog Entries
    also the kid is Ed Greminger Jr, the managers son.

Thanks Drifters. I'm assuming we're all using the same technique, comparing my photo to other known images. Pretty tough task since age, clarity, angles and so forth come in to play. That's why I was hoping someone had this particular photo with names.
    Please share any other thoughts you have.

Blog Entries
    im no expert on players, but I do know more than the casual fan about the "hill climbers" of the aughts!
    I deliberately didn't look at anyones suggestions on who was who til I had what I thought was the list of names. This is deff a good photo, great clarity compared to other shots of MGM teams of that era so it was not too tough at all!

Lucky Whiteman is one of my faves on this team, the hero of the 1918 world series and the guy who platoons in the outfield with Ruth! He also is or was the record holder for total games in the minor leagues and cumulative hits for minor leaguers. Whiteman was instrumental in creating the Farm System with Branch Rickey.

I have a couple other names to faces but I will wait to post them, I could be wrong but Im not convinced the list is correct, I guessed a couple names that so far arent mentioned. Great fun and one of my fave teams!Attachment 134736Attachment 134737Attachment 134738Attachment 134739

Regarding the gent on the far right "middle-ish" row holding the ball...I'm thinking he could be Whitey Guese. By this time, Whitey was 37, and this guy looks like a veteran. Thoughts?

Blog Entries
    totally agree on Guese, what a distinctive mug!
    I thought I had a better pic of him, i will see if i can dig one out.
    Whitey_Guese 1909 mgm.jpg
    1906pelicans, geuse front left in mgm 1909.jpg