Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: West Side Park & West Side Grounds

West Side Grounds & West Side Park

Thanks to Milladrive for merging my recent posts with a long lost thread about these Chicago parks, both home to the Cubs franchise.

A quick refresher: There were two incarnations, West Side Park I (1885-1891) when they were known as the White Stockings and then the Colts. From 1891-1892, the Colts switched to South Side Park, then when West Side Park II (1893-1915) opened in 1893, they split that season West and South, then to West Side Park full time in 1894 (South Side Park would then be the home of the White Sox in 1901). The Colts became the Orphans in 1898, then finally the Cubs in 1902. Also, from what I can gather, the second incarnation was called both "Park" and "Grounds", but maybe someone has more info than I can provide. Got all that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Side_Park

Anyhoo, here's some nice photos to get the thread going again.

1902, Dusty Rhodes of the Cleveland Bronchos batting.

Cubs/Sox exhibition, 1905.

1906 Series

1908, expanded left side grandstand

1908, with rooftop bleachers (Wrigley prototype!)

August 30, 1908

Largest size

Also 1908

Last edited by alpineinc; 01-17-2012 at 02:14 PM.

New RF billboard, 1910

1912 "City Series", non-sepia version of previously posted pic.

1916, Buffalo Bill Wild West show (after Cubs left for the greener pastures of Weeghman Park)

Last edited by alpineinc; 01-17-2012 at 02:16 PM.

Christy Mathewson, NY Giant, in for a Cubs series. Source says 1905, but uniform appears to be from 1911.

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...x?lotid=117793

Blog Entries
    Site of West Side Park in Chicago...

And the site of West Side Grounds...

Blog Entries
    Wow, some really great stuff! I love when ballparks are all but forgotten until someone here pulls them out of their cap. Thanks, alpineinc!
    Put it in the books.

Wow great shots, any idea how many people could fit in it?
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Blog Entries
    Although they could be mistaken, my records have only one variation for each park. After the Union Base Ball Grounds (White Stockings, AA, 1871) and the 23rd Street Grounds (White Stockings, AA, 1874-1875; White Stockings, NL, 1876-1877), the franchise moved to Lake Front Park (White Stockings, 1978-1884).

Which brings me to this thread. According to my records, West Side Park hosted the White Stockings/Colts 1885-1891. In 1891, the Colts split their home games between West Side Park and South Side Park [II]. Chicago's West Side Grounds hosted the Colts'/Orphans'/Cubs' home games from 1893 through 1915, but, correct me if I'm wrong, unless there was a fire or reconstruction I'm unaware of during those years, I think there was only one variation of the West Side Grounds.

Heh, all this without checking Wikipedia. As a S-O-M person, I'm pretty sure my database of ballparks is as comprehensive as possible. But of course, like anything, it's possible I've overlooked something.

Either way, thanks again alpineinc for these pics. Although I hadn't realized it until now, there was indeed already a thread dedicated to West Side Grounds, located in the Baseball Photography forum. I've taken the liberty of moving that thread into the Ballparks forum and merging it with this one.

As well, at least for the time being, I'm letting the two parks remain in the same thread, if only because the only pics of West Side Park are the fine ones posted by Philtration of the property as it is today. If anyone finds a pic or has something to add to the topic of West Side Park, I'll consider splitting the thread for each park to have its own. In the meantime, both parks have their rightful separation in the Forum Index.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
    Wow great shots, any idea how many people could fit in it?
    According to Bill Burgess' records, the original capacity was 16,000.
    Put it in the books.

Blog Entries
    Evidently, there's some dispute as to whether the "West Side Grounds" were also known as the second "West Side Park." This could indeed be true. In fact, after some legwork, it appears it may be true after all. Until I know for sure, however, I'll continue to refer to the second West Side Park as West Side Grounds, if only for the purpose of distinguishing between the two parks. I wish, with all the above photos of the latter, there were some indication of its rightful moniker.

Anyway, courtesy of an SOM website, I stumbled across this colorized pic of West Side Park, circa late 1880s.

West Side Park, Chicago IL.png
    Put it in the books.

Last edited by alpineinc; 10-21-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Blog Entries
    Are you ready for 1,152 photos of West Side Grounds? 'Cause here they are:

http://www.loc.gov/search/?q=&fa=Sub...%29&st=gallery

These aren't full-sized LOC scans, but they give a good impression of the park throughout the seasons.

Here are 6 images together to give an idea of their clarity.

Scariest mascot ever, 1908.

Xom54jb.jpg

Extremely rare photo of the outside of the ballpark. Really cool! Note the statues on top and that World Championship flag!

West_Side1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by redsksinsnut View Post
    Extremely rare photo of the outside of the ballpark. Really cool! Note the statues on top and that World Championship flag!
    Love that flag. But unless the flag was blown around, the photo may be reversed.

In his first year in office (1909), President Taft pays a visit to the West Side Grounds. After all, his half-brother Charles owned the Cubs at that time. The visiting Giants also pay their respects. Taft appears to be almost dead-center in the last photo.

n007669.jpg

n007734a.jpg

n007665.jpg

Blog Entries
    That animal on the WS champs banner looks more like a kangaroo than a cub. But I think the photo is oriented properly, to judge by the "BASEBALL" letters on the building at top left. Probably said something like NATIONAL LEAGUE BASEBALL up there.

Man oh man I wonder where that banner is today.

Quote Originally Posted by SultanOfWhat View Post
    That animal on the WS champs banner looks more like a kangaroo than a cub. But I think the photo is oriented properly, to judge by the "BASEBALL" letters on the building at top left. Probably said something like NATIONAL LEAGUE BASEBALL up there.
    You are indeed correct sir. A crop from a photo earlier in this thread reveals the words:

CHICAGO NATIONAL LEAGUE BASEBALL CLUB FOUNDED 1876

...with the words facing outward so as to be readable outside the stadium.

wsg1.jpg

I initially thought it was reversed since when the original photo is flipped, NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 1908 is then readable.

Incidentally I found a second shot taken moments later of the same scene (second photo):

s007779.jpg

s007778.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    Love that flag. But unless the flag was blown around, the photo may be reversed.
    I think they put the flag up backwards, the white stripe where the grommets go should be on the left part of the flag. It follows then that if the grommets are on the right side than the rest of the flag is backwards.

Blog Entries
    It's really sad to look at that photo and think that a team that has been playing continuously in the nation's "Second City" since that banner was raised hasn't won a championship since then.

Putting a championship banner up backwards didn't help, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    Putting a championship banner up backwards didn't help, lol.
    I'm guessing the flag on the other side is the 1907 banner so maybe there was some aesthetic reason they stuck it up the way they did?

Jim Thorpe knows baseball (1913-1914, NY Giants)...

160755a_018_lg.jpeg

...and football (Canton vs Hammond All-Stars, Thanksgiving 1919)

160755b_019_lg.jpeg

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...-Negatives-(2)

1904 West Side Grounds Colorized Panoramic
    110 Years Ago Today - Chicago, Illinois - July 23, 1904
    Here's a new edit/colorization I made from a game between the New York Giants & Chicago Cubs, 110 years ago today, on a sunny Saturday afternoon in Chicago.
    You can find the original photo at the LOC here: "National League Park, Chicago, July 23rd, 1904". Cheers! ~B

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast