Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nationals 2011 Regular season thread

Nationals 2011 Regular season thread

Opening March 31st!!!

Nationals first game vs. the Atlanta Braves @ 1:05PM EDT in Washington!
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Let the games begin! According to radio reports, the Nationals grounds crew is busy trying to prepare the field for the Nationals home opener, scheduled for noon today. The weather isn't cooperating with a dull, gray and damp day. We'll see if they manage to get this one in.
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Certainly would have been nice to get the win. But they lost respectably, got good pitching from Livo and the bullpen and stayed away from stupid mistakes. Ankiel's and LaRoche's hits would have been homers in 75-degree weather. They stayed in the game. So I can live with that.

It was so freakin' cold. The Nats played well. I remember the collective gasp many of those sitting around us had when Werth got his first hit as a Nat. If he had an 0-fer, the Washington media would've blasted him til Saturday, especiall The Fan. My big takeaway from the game, I'll take two runs on five hits from every Nationals starter. That'd be a HUGE upgrade.

See y'all Saturday afternoon!
    "I'm the only winner on this team. The rest of 'em, they're losers. Either by choice, or by birth." -- Jack Parkman

The first homestand: March 31-April 3rd

The Atlanta Braves come to Washington for the opening series of the season and take two of three.

Thursday, March 31 Atlanta Braves 2, Washington Nationals 0

Saturday, April 2 Nationals 6, Braves 3

Sunday, April 3 Braves 11, Nationals 2

After a travel day, the Nationals season resumes Tuesday, April 5th against the Marlins in Florida.

Thumbs down Florida Marlins 3, Washington Nationals 2 (10 innings)

What a frustrating performance! The south Florida weather does nothing to warm up the Nationals bats and they leave 12 men on base in a 10 inning loss to the Marlins.

The Marlins left 11 men on as well but a costly error by Jason Werth allowed the Marlins to get the leadoff runner aboard in the 10th who ultimately scored with two outs in the bottom of the frame.

A base running mistake cost the Nationals the chance to take the lead in the eighth when Jerry Hairston over ran third base on a Jason Werth double and was caught between third and home.

The Nationals would use 4 pitchers in the game, the Marlins 6. Jason Marquis went 6 and 1/3rd innings, giving up 6 hits, including a home run to Logan Morrison but didn't walk any.

Ryan Zimmerman hit his first homer of the season for Washington.

Drew Storen is charged with the loss for the Nationals, Edward Mujica collects the win for the Marlins.

The final line: Florida 3 runs, 8 hits, no errors, Washington 2 runs, 8 hits, 2 errors.

Next game: Wednesday, April 6th versus the Marlins in Florida, game time 7:10PM.

Nationals record: 1 win, 3 losses.

Current streak: 2 losses.
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 04-06-2011 at 08:12 AM.

April 6th & 7th Another loss and FINALLY a win!

Wednesday, April 6 Marlins 7, Nationals 4

This one was so frustrating I don't want to get into it. I was at a meeting nearby and when I left the score was 4-0 in favor of Washington. By the time I got home, less than a 5 minute drive, and turned on the television the score was 4-4. The Marlins managed 3 more runs while the Nationals struggled to even get a runner on base.

Thursday, April 7 Nationals 5, Marlins 3 in 11 innings.

The Nats FINALLY manage to come up with a win in Miami's "House of Horrors" with some great relief pitching and Adam LaRoche's first home run as a National.

Next game: Friday, April 8 vs. the Mets in New York.

Nationals record: 2 wins, 4 losses.

Current streak: 1 win.

Thumbs up Washington Nationals 6, New York Mets 2

The Nationals make their way to New York and spoil the Mets 50th home opener with a 6-2 win at a cold, damp CitiField.

Washington starter Jordan Zimmermann evens his record at 1-1, pitching 5 and a third strong innings and helped his own cause with a single that drove in 2 runs. The Nationals used 6 pitchers in the contest.

For the Mets, starter R.A. Dickey is charged with the loss. The Mets used 5 pitchers.

The only extra base hits in the game came in the form of 3 doubles for the Mets from David Wright, Carlos Beltran and Lucas Duda.

The Nats' Ivan Rodriguez broke out of a season opening 0-12 slump with a bases loaded single that scored two.

The final line: Nationals 6 runs, 9 hits, no errors, Mets 2 runs, 7 hits, 1 error.

Next game: Saturday, April 9th vs. the Mets in New York, game time 7:10PM

Nationals record: 3 wins, 4 losses

Current streak: 2 wins

April 9-12th

Saturday, April 9th Mets 8, Nationals 4

Sunday, April 10th Nationals 7, Mets 3 (11 innings)

Tuesday, April 12th Nationals 7, Philadelphia Phillies 4

The Nats even their record at 5-5 with a 7-4 victory over the Phillies. Jayson Werth homers, doubles and steals a base against his old team.

Next game: Wednesday, April 13th vs. the Phillies in Washington (If the weather cooperates.)

Nationals record: 5 wins, 5 losses

Current streak: 2 wins.

April 13-15: 2 losses and finally a win!

Wed. April 13th Phillies 3, Nationals 2 WP Roy Halladay, LP John Lannan

Thur. April 14th Phillies 4, Nationals 0 WP Cliff Lee, LP Jordan Zimmermann

Fri. April 15th Nationals 4, Milwaukee Brewers 3 10 innings. WP Chad Gaudin, LP Zach Braddock

Next game: Saturday, April 16th vs. the Brewers in Washington, game time 1:05PM With the severe storms that have plagued the southern states rolling in, I seriously doubt this game will be played.

EDIT: It's official-today's (Saturday, April 16th) game against the Brewers has been postponed due to weather. As this is the Brewers only scheduled trip to Washington this season, the game has been rescheduled for tomorrow (Sunday, April 17th) as part of a double header. More from the Nationals website:

Saturday's game vs. Brewers rescheduled

Nationals record: 6 wins, 7 losses

Current streak: 1 win
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 04-16-2011 at 10:15 AM.

Thumbs up Sunday, April 17th-Nats sweep Brewers in double header!

Game 1 Nationals 8, Brewers 4 WP Jason Marquis, LP Yovani Gallardo

Game 2 Nationals 5, Brewers 1 WP Livan Hernandez, LP Kameron Loe

Next game: Tuesday, April 19th vs. the Cardinals in St. Louis

Nationals record: 8 wins, 7 losses

Current streak: 3 wins!!!

Wednesday, April 20 Cardinals and Nats split twin bill

After enduring a rainout on Tuesday the 19th, the Nats and Cardinals are forced to play a double header on Wednesday the 20th:

First game Nationals 8, Cardinals 6 WP John Lannan, LP Jake Westbrook

Second game Cardinals 5, Nationals 3 WP Jamie Garcia, LP Jordan Zimmermann

Next game: Thursday, April 21 vs. the Cardinals in St. Louis, game time 1:45PM

Nationals record: 9 wins, 8 losses

Current streak: 1 loss

Thumbs down Thursday, April 20th Cardinals 5, Nationals 0

St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Kyle Loshe throws a complete game 2 hit shutout and the Nationals drop back to .500.

Cardinals 5, Nationals 0 WP Kyle Loshe, LP Tom Gorzelanny

Next game: Friday, April 22 vs the Pirates in Pittsburgh

Nationals record: 9 wins, 9 losses

Current streak: 2 losses
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 04-22-2011 at 09:07 PM.

Unhappy Friday, April 21st Postponed due to rain

The first game of the three game set is washed out in Pittsburgh and has been rescheduled for Easter Monday, April 25th.

Thumbs down Saturday, April 23rd Pirates 7, Nationals 2

After sitting out Good Friday due to rain, the Nationals finally faced the Pirates in Pittsburgh but not before enduring a rain delay.

When the game started, it was all Pirates who scored 5 runs off Washington starter Livan Hernandez in the first inning on their way to a 7-2 victory.

Hernandez sees his record drop to 2-2 in this young season, Washington using 3 pitchers in the contest.

Pittsburgh starter Jeff Karstens raises his record to 2-0 working into the seventh inning. The Pirates used four pitchers in the game including former Washington hurler Joe Beimel.

The Pirates got doubles from Jose Tabata, Garrett Jones and Ronny Cedeno while the Nationals counter with doubles from Adam La Roche and Wilson Ramos and Jayson Werth's third home run of the year.

Runners left on base: Nationals 6, Pirates 5

The final line: Pirates 7 runs, 9 hits, 0 errors, Nationals 2 runs, 6 hits, 3 errors.

Next game: Sunday, April 24th (Easter Sunday) vs the Pirates in Pittsburgh, game time 1:35PM EDT

Nationals record: 9 wins, 10 losses

Current streak: 3 losses
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 04-23-2011 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Corrected game start time

Thumbs up Sunday, April 24th Nationals 6, Pirates 3

The Nationals raise their record back to .500 with a 6-3 defeat of the Pirates in Pittsburgh.

WP Jason Marquis, LP Kevin Corriea

The final line: Nationals 6 runs, 15 hits, 3 errors, Pirates 3 runs, 11 hits, 0 errors.

Next game: Monday, April 25th vs the Pirates in Pittsburgh (Make up of Friday's rainout), game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 10 wins, 10 losses

Thumbs down Monday, April 25th Pirates 4, Nationals 2

In a makeup game from Friday, this game also delayed by rain, the Pirates win the series with a 4-2 victory.

WP Paul Maholm, LP John Lannan

The final line: Pirates 4 runs, 6 hits, 0 errors, Nationals 2 runs, 5 hits, 2 errors

Next game: Tuesday, April 26 vs the New York Mets in Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 10 wins, 11 losses

April 26-28 New York Mets at Washington

The Mets take two of three in Washington:

Tuesday, April 26th Mets 6, Nationals 4 WP Ryota Igarashi, LP Jordan Zimmermann

The final line: Mets 6 runs, 12 hits, 0 errors Nationals 4 runs, 8 hits, 1 error

Wednesday, April 27th Mets 6, Nationals 3 WP Pedro Beato, LP Sean Burnett

The final line: Mets 6 runs, 11 hits, 1 error Nationals 3 runs, 10 hits, 0 errors

Thursday, April 28th Nationals 4, Mets 3 WP Livan Hernandez, LP Chris Capuano

The final line: Nationals 4 runs, 10 hits, 1 error, Mets 3 runs, 8 hits, 0 errors

Next game: Friday, April 29th vs the San Francisco Giants in Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 11 wins, 13 losses

Thumbs up Friday April 29th-Nationals 3, San Francisco Giants 0

The defending World Champion San Francisco Giants make their only visit to Washington this season and are shut out by Jason Marquis and the Nationals. Both teams now have a 12-13 record.

Nationals 3, Giants 0 WP Jason Marquis, LP Tim Lincecum

The final line: Nationals 3 runs, 7 hits, no errors, Giants 0 runs, 5 hits, no errors

Next game: Saturday, April 30 vs the Giants in Washington, game time 4:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 12 wins, 13 losses

Thumbs down Saturday, April 30th-Giants 2, Nationals 1

The Giants even their record at 13-13 at the expense of the Nationals. San Francisco starter Jonathan Sanchez couldn't seem to find the strike zone in the first two innings, loading the bases in both innings, but the Nats couldn't take advantage of it, only scoring 1 run and the Giants take the game 2-1. The Nationals ended up stranding 12 runners.

Giants 2, Nationals 1 WP Guillermo Mota, LP John Lannan

The final line: Giants 2 runs, 8 hits, 1 error, Nationals 1 run, 2 hits, no errors.

Next game: Sunday, May 1st vs the Giants in Washington, game time 1:35PM

Nationals record: 12 wins, 14 losses

Thumbs up Sunday, May 1st Nationals 5, Giants 2

Jordan Zimmermann pitches his longest outing since returning from Tommy John surgery in August 2009, going 6 innings, walking 2 and striking out 4 while surrendering 2 runs and 6 hits in a 5-2 victory over the Giants. Zimmermann's record is now 2-4 for the season.

Nationals 5, Giants 2 WP Jordan Zimmermann LP Matt Cain

The final line: Washington 5 runs, 10 hits, no errors, San Francisco 2 runs, 7 hits, 1 error

Next game: Monday, May 2nd vs San Francisco in Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 13 wins, 14 losses

Last edited by Aa3rt; 05-01-2011 at 04:41 PM.

Thumbs up Monday, May 2nd Nationals 2, Giants 0

Washington starter Tom Gorzelany earns his first win of the season, pitching 8 strong innings in a shutout of the San Francisco Giants. The Nationals even their record at 14-14.

Nationals 2, Giants 0 WP Tom Gorzelany, LP Madison Bumgarner

The final line: Washington 2 runs, 4 hits, no errors, San Francisco 0 runs, 3 hits, 1 error

Next game: Tuesday, May 3rd vs the Phillies in Philadelphia, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 14 wins, 14 losses

Thumbs down Tuesday, May 3rd Phillies 4, Nationals 1

The Nationals make the trip to Philadelphia and see their team record drop below .500 again to 14-15 while the Phillies improve to 19-9 behind a complete game from Cole Hamels.

Phillies 4, Nationals 1 WP Cole Hamels, LP Livan Hernandez

The final line: Phillies 4 runs, 12 hits, no errors, Nationals 1 run, 5 hits, no errors.

Next game: Wednesday, May 4th vs the Phillies in Philadelphia, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 14 wins, 15 losses

Thumbs down May 4th & 5th-Two more Phillies wins, two more Nationals losses

Wednesday, May 4th Phillies 7, Nationals 4 WP Vance Worley, LP Jason Marquis

The final line: Philadelphia 7 runs, 11 hits, 0 errors, Washington 4 runs, 9 hits, 1 error

Thursday, May 5th Phillies 7, Nationals 3 WP Roy Halladay, LP John Lannan

The final line: Philadelphia 7 runs, 12 hits, 0 errors, Washington 3 runs, 8 hits, 0 errors

Next game: Friday, May 6th vs the Marlins in Florida, game time 7:10PM EDT

Nationals record: 14 wins, 17 losses

Current streak: 3 losses

Thumbs up Friday, May 6th Washington 3, Florida 2 (10 innings)

After losing 3 straight in Philadelphia, the Nationals took their road show to Florida to play the Marlins in what has usually been a "House of Horrors" for them. The Nats managed to eke out a 3-2 extra inning win, but not without a scare in the bottom of the 10th.

Nationals 3, Marlins 2 (10 innings) WP Drew Storen, LP Mike Dunn

The final line: Washington 3 runs, 7 hits, no errors, Florida 2 runs, 7 hits, no errors

Next game: Saturday, May 7th vs the Marlins in Florida, game time 7:10PM EDT

Nationals record: 15 wins, 17 losses

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast