Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Nationals 2011 Regular season thread

Thumbs down Saturday, Aug. 13th-Phillies 11, Nationals 3

The second game of the 3 game set in Philadelphia sees the Nationals defense fall apart like an '84 Yugo as they allow 7 unearned runs on 3 errors and the Phillies score a total of 11 runs on 9 hits.

John Lannan was charged with the loss, working just 3 innings, giving up 4 hits but 7 runs, just 1 of them earned. Lannan would walk 5 and strike out 1. The Nationals used 4 pitchers. Lannan is now 1-11 against Philadelphia in 15 starts.

For Philadelphia, Roy Oswalt pitched 7 innings giving up 6 hits and 3 runs while striking out 5 and issuing just 1 walk. Philadelphia only used 2 pitchers in the game.

Despite the 11 total runs, the only extra base hit for the Phillies was a Ryan Howard homer in the home half of the first inning.

The Nationals would counter with doubles from Mike Morse and Laynce Nix.

Phillies 11, Nationals 3 WP Roy Oswalt, LP John Lannan

The final line: Philadelphia 11 runs, 9 hits, 0 errors, Washington 3 runs, 7 hits, 3 errors

Next game: Sunday, August 14th vs the Phillies in Philadelphia, game time 1:35PM EDT

Nationals record: 57 wins, 62 losses

Current streak: 1 loss
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Exclamation Sunday, Aug. 14th-Washington at Philadelphia postponed/rescheduled

The series finale between the Nationals and Phillies has been postponed due to rain and has been rescheduled as part of a day/night double header on Tuesday, September 20th when the Nationals make their next trip to Philadelphia.

Next game: Tuesday, Aug. 16th vs the Cincinnati Reds in Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Aug. 16-18 Cincinnati at Washington, 2 wins, 1 loss for the Nationals

The Cincinnati Reds make their way to Washington for a 3 game set.

Tuesday, Aug. 16th Washington 6, Cincinnati 4 WP Chien-Ming Wang (Drew Storen save #32), LP Mike Leake

The final line: Nationals 6 runs, 8 hits, 2 errors, Reds 4 runs, 8 hits, 1 error

Wednesday, Aug. 17th Cincinnati 2, Washington 1 WP Johnny Cueto (Francisco Cordero save #24), LP Ross Detwiler

The final line: Reds 2 runs, 9 hits, 2 errors, Nationals 1 run, 7 hits, 0 errors

Thursday, Aug. 18th Washington 3, Cincinnati 1 WP Jordan Zimmermann (Drew Storen save # 33), LP Bronson Arroyo

The final line: Nationals 3 runs, 8 hits, 1 error, Reds 1 run, 8 hits, 0 errors

Next game: Friday, Aug. 19th vs the Phildelphia Phillies in Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 59 wins, 63 losses

Current streak: 1 win

Thumbs up Friday, Aug. 19th-Nationals 8, Phillies 4

The Phillies start a 3 game series in Washington on a Friday night under threatening skies. The game started and then was almost immediately delayed for 2 hours and 22 minutes due to rain. The Phillies jumped out to an early 4-0 lead but the Nationals responded with a little "Late Inning Lightning", scoring 6 runs in the bottom of the 9th, capped off with a walk-off grand slam home run, courtesy of Ryan Zimmerman.

Nationals starter Livan Hernandez worked 4 innings, giving up 7 hits and 4 runs while walking 2. The Nationals used 4 pitchers in the game with Todd Coffey getting credit for the win.

For the Phillies, Roy Oswalt was scheduled to start but was removed from the lineup after the rain delay. Kyle Kendrick got the nod, working 6 innings, giving up 5 hits and 2 runs while walking 1 and striking out 4. The Phillies would also use 4 pitchers with Ryan Madson being charged with the loss.

Philadelphia's offensive attack included doubles from Jimmy Rollins, Carlos Ruiz and Chase Utley and a triple from John Mayberry. For the Nationals, Ian Desmond and Ryan Zimmerman doubled and Wilson Ramos and Ryan Zimmerman homered, Zimmerman's coming with the bases loaded and 2 out in the bottom of the 9th for a dramatic win.

Nationals 8, Phillies 4 WP Todd Coffey, LP Ryan Madson

The final line: Washington 8 runs, 10 hits, 0 errors, Philadelphia 4 runs, 8 hits, 1 error

Next game: Saturday, August 20th vs the Phillies in Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 60 wins, 63 losses

Thumbs down Saturday, Aug. 20th-Phillies 5, Nationals 0

A record crowd of 44,685, including a very large contingent of Philadelphia fans, jams Nationals Park and sees the Phillies shut out the Nationals in the second game of the 3 game series.

John Lannan's career record against Philadelphia drops to a horrific 1-12 as the Nationals are shut out for the first time since June 29th when they were blanked by the Los Angeles Angels 1-0.

Philadelphia starter Roy Oswalt pitched 8 strong innings, giving up 8 hits and 1 walk while striking out 9. The Phillies used 2 pitchers.

John Lannan worked 5 innings for Washington surrendering 7 hits and 5 runs (3 earned) while walking 4 and striking out just 1. The Nationals used 4 pitchers.

Extra base hits for the Phillies comes from a Wilson Valdez triple and a Hunter Pence home run while Mike Morse stroked his 30th double of the season for Washington.

Phillies 5, Nationals 0 WP Roy Oswalt, LP John Lannan

The final line: Philadelphia 5 runs, 9 hits, 0 errors, Washington 0 runs, 8 hits, 1 error

Next game: Sunday, August 21st vs the Phillies in Washington, game time 1:35PM EDT

Nationals record: 60 wins, 64 losses

Last edited by Aa3rt; 08-20-2011 at 09:22 PM.

Thumbs up Sunday, Aug. 21st-Nationals 5, Phillies 4 (10 innings)

Another large crowd, another rain delay and more "Late Inning Lightning" by the Nationals ends in an extra inning victory for Washington.

Roy Halladay started for the Phillies, pitching 5 innings, giving up 7 hits and 2 runs while striking out 5 but not walking any. After the rain delay, the Phillies used 3 more pitchers with Brad Lidge being charged with the loss.

For the Nationals, Chien-Ming Wang pitched 5.2 innings, giving up 5 hits and 3 runs, walking 1 and striking out 4. Washington would ultimately use 6 pitchers with Sean Burnett earning the win.

For the Phillies Carlos Ruiz and Chase Utley homered. The Nationals got doubles from Ian Desmond and Ryan Zimmerman and home runs from Ian Desmond and Danny Espinosa. Desmond's homer came with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th, tying the game at 4-4.

However it was Jonny Gomes who was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 10th getting credit for the game winning RBI.

Nationals 5, Phillies 4 (10 innings) WP Sean Burnett, LP Brad Lidge

The final line: Washington 5 runs, 12 hits, 0 errors, Philadelphia 4 runs, 8 hits, 0 errors

Next game: Monday, August 22nd vs the Arizona Diamondbacks in Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 61 wins, 64 losses

Last edited by Aa3rt; 08-24-2011 at 05:55 AM.

Thumbs up Monday, August 22nd-Washington 4, Arizona 1

The struggling Arizona Diamondbacks make their way to Washington and see their current losing streak extended to 6 games. Arizona now leads the San Francisco Giants by just 1 game in the National League West.

Washington starter Ross Detwiler picks up his second win of the season by pitching 6.2 innings, giving up 6 hits and 1 run, walking 1 and striking out 3. The Nationals used 4 pitchers in the game with Drew Storen earning his 34th save.

For Arizona, starter Joe Saunders is charged with the loss. Saunders worked 6 innings, giving up 6 hits and 4 runs, walking 3 and striking out 2. The D'backs used 3 pitchers.

Arizona's only run came from a solo homer by Henry Blanco off Detwiler while Washington got a double and a 3 run homer from Jayson Werth.

Nationals 4, Diamondbacks 1 WP Ross Detwiler (Drew Storen, save #34), LP Joe Saunders

The final line: Washington 4 runs, 8 hits, 0 errors, Arizona 1 run, 6 hits, 0 errors

Next game: Tuesday, August 23rd vs Arizona in Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 62 wins, 64 losses

Current streak: 2 wins

Thumbs down Tuesday, Aug. 23-Arizona 2, Washington 0

After enduring 2 rain delays in the Philadelphia series that wrapped up on Sunday, the Diamondbacks and Nationals have to contend with an earthquake delay before the start of Tuesday's game in Washington. The opening of Nationals Park was put on hold while the stadium was inspected for structural damage and the game started 21 minutes late. Additionally, the D'backs team bus was held up in Washington traffic, resulting in the team's late arrival at the ballpark. To make matters even worse, the Nationals ended up being shut out for the second time in four days.

Despite the distractions, there was a ball game played with Arizona's Ian Kennedy pitching 7 strong innings, giving up 6 hits and no runs while walking 2 and striking out 8. The D'backs used 3 pitchers in the game with J. J. Putz picking up his 31st save.

For the Nationals, Jordan Zimmermann was the starter working 6.1 innings, giving up 5 hits and 2 runs while walking 2 and striking out 4. The Nationals sent 4 pitchers to the mound.

Washington did have some chances to score but left 8 men on base, going 0 for 7 in scoring opportunities.

The only runs in the game came in the top of the 7th on a 2 run homer by Sean Burroughs. Making it even more painful for Washington and their fans, this was Burroughs' first home run since April 30th of 2005.

In the extra base department, Miguel Montero and Ian Kennedy doubled in addition to Burroughs homer for Arizona while Washington's only extra base knock was a Wilson Ramos double.

Arizona 2, Washington 0 WP Ian Kennedy (JJ Putz, save #31), LP Jordan Zimmermann

The final line: Arizona 2 runs, 6 hits, 0 errors, Washington 0 runs, 6 hits, 0 errors

Next game: Wednesday, August 24th vs Arizona in Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 62 wins, 65 losses

Last edited by Aa3rt; 08-24-2011 at 10:48 AM.

Thumbs down Wednesday, Aug. 24th-Arizona 4, Washington 2

The Arizona Diamondbacks take a 4-3 lead in the season series and maintain a 2 game lead over the San Francisco Giants with a 4-2 victory against the Washington Nationals.

Washington was held scoreless for a total of 21 consecutive innings going back to the 5th inning of Monday's game before finally scoring 2 runs in the bottom of the 9th.

Arizona starter Daniel Hudson earns the win by pitching 8.2 innings, giving up 9 hits and 2 runs while striking out 6 and not walking any. JJ Putz gets the call to complete the game and earns his 32nd save by getting the last out in the 9th.

For Washington, Livan Hernandez was the starter and is charged with the loss. Hernandez worked 7.1 innings, giving up 7 hits and 4 runs while walking 1 and striking out 5. The Nationals would use 3 pitchers.

The only extra base hit for the D'backs was a Chris Young double while the Nationals countered with doubles from Laynce Nix and Ian Desmond and home runs from Nix and Jonny Gomes. Unfortunately, both homers were solo shots coming in the bottom of the 9th and would be the only runs the Nationals would score.

Ryan Zimmerman sees his streak of 29 consecutive games of getting on base come to an end.

Arizona 4, Washington 2 WP Daniel Hudson (JJ Putz, save #32), LP Livan Hernandez

The final line: Arizona 4 runs, 8 hits, 0 errors, Washington 2 runs, 9 hits, 2 errors

Next game: Thursday, August 25th vs Arizona in Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 62 wins, 66 losses

Current streak: 2 losses

Moderator's note: I plan to be out of town, and without Internet access, for the next week. If someone wants to pinch hit during my departure, please be my guest. Otherwise there won't be any updates to this thread until I return late next week.
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 08-25-2011 at 09:35 AM.

Catching up-Aug. 25th through Sep. 1st...

I've returned from my trip. Since no one chose to fill in during my absence, here's a rundown of what transpired while I was gone. Not pretty-7 games played, 1 win and 6 losses including a 3 game sweep in Cincinnati.

In Washington...

Thursday, Aug. 25th Arizona 8, Washington 1

The final line: Diamondbacks 8 runs, 14 hits, 0 errors, Nationals 1 run, 8 hits, 1 error

In Cincinnati...

Friday, Aug. 26th Cincinnati 4, Washington 3

The final line: Reds 4 runs, 12 hits, 1 error, Nationals 3 runs, 8 hits, 1 error

Saturday, Aug. 27th Cincinnati 6, Washington 3

The final line: Reds 6 runs, 9 hits, 1 error, Nationals 3 runs, 8 hits, 2 errors

Sunday, Aug. 28th Cincinnati 5, Washington 4 (14 innings)

The final line: Reds 5 runs, 14 hits, 0 errors, Nationals 4 runs, 17 hits, 1 error

In Atlanta...

Tuesday, Aug. 30th Washington 9, Atlanta 2

The final line: Nationals 9 runs, 12 hits, 0 errors, Braves 2 runs, 5 hits, 1 error

Wednesday, Aug. 31st Atlanta 3, Washington 1

The final line: Braves 3 runs, 7 hits, 0 errors, Nationals 1 run, 3 hits, 1 error

Thursday, Sep. 1st Atlanta 5, Washington 2

The final line: Braves 5 runs, 8 hits, 1 error, Nationals 2 runs, 7 hits, 0 errors

Next game: Friday, Sep. 2nd vs. the New York Mets in Washington, game time 7:05PM

Nationals record: 63 wins, 72 losses

Thumbs down Friday, Sep. 2nd- New York 7, Washington 3

The return home doesn't help the Nationals as they drop their third in a row, having gone 1-9 in their last 10 games and are now 10 games under the .500 mark for the first time this season.

Despite outhitting the Mets 12 to 9, New York benefitted from 3 home runs while Washington left 8 men on base and went 2 for 6 in scoring opportunities.

Nationals starter Ross Detwiler gets roughed up, lasting just 3 innings, giving up 7 hits and 6 runs while striking out 2. Detwiler was charged with the loss. Washington used 4 pitchers in the game.

For the Mets, R. A. Dickey worked 6 innings giving up 9 hits and 3 runs while striking out 1. Dickey was awarded the win. The Mets sent 5 pitchers to the mound.

New York got a double from David Wright and home runs from Lucas Duda, Nick Evans and Wright while Washington countered with a double from Rick Ankiel, a triple from Ian Desmond and a homer from Ankiel.

New York 7, Washington 3 WP R. A. Dickey, LP Ross Detwiler

The final line: New York 7 runs, 9 hits, 0 errors, Washington 3 runs, 12 hits, 1 error

Next game: Saturday, September 3rd vs the Mets in Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 63 wins, 73 losses

Current streak: 3 losses

Thumbs up Saturday, Sep. 3rd-Washington 8, New York 7

The Nationals put the brakes on the losing skid at 3 games with a dramatic, come from behind, 8-7 win over the New York Mets. The Nationals jumped out to an early 5-0 lead only to trail 7-6 in the bottom of the 9th, setting the stage for Ryan Zimmerman to drive in 2 runs with a bloop single to right field for another walk off win.

Washington starter Tom Milone made his major league debut, working 4.1 innings giving up 6 hits and 4 runs, striking out 2. The Nationals used 5 pitchers in the game with Sean Burnett getting the win.

For the Mets, Dillon Gee went 5 innings surrendering 8 hits and 6 runs while striking out 6 and walking 2. New York would also send 5 pitchers to the mound with Bobby Parnell being charged with both a blown save and the loss.

Offense for the Mets came from a David Wright double and home runs from Jason Bay and Nick Evans, Evans' second homer in two games.

For the Nationals Jesus Flores doubled, Ian Desmond stroked the first leadoff homer of his career, Roger Bernadina, just back from Syracuse, also homered as did starter Tom Milone, driving the first pitch he saw in his major league career into the Washington bullpen.

Washington 8, New York 7 WP Sean Burnett, LP Bobby Parnell

The final line: Washington 8 runs, 12 hits, 0 errors, New York 7 runs, 9 hits, 1 error

Next game: Sunday, September 4th vs the Mets in Washington, game time 1:35PM EDT

Nationals record: 64 wins, 73 losses

Thumbs down Sunday, Sep. 4th-New York 6, Washington 3

Washington starter Livan Hernandez made what is possibly his last start as a National and ends up being charged with the loss.

Hernandez worked 5.1 innings, giving up 8 hits and 6 runs while walking 1 and striking out 1. The Nationals used 5 pitchers in the game.

Mets starter Mike Pelfrey goes 4.2 innings, surrendering 5 hits and 3 runs while walking 5 and striking out 3. Ryota Igarashi is awarded the win and Bobby Parnell collects save number 5. The Mets also used 5 pitchers.

The only extra base hit for the Mets was a Lucas Duda home run while the Nationals got doubles from Roger Bernadina, Danny Espinosa and Wilson Ramos, Ramos stroking 2.

However it was a pinch hit single by former National Willie Harris off Todd Coffey (With the runs being charged to Hernandez.) that put the Mets ahead.

New York 6, Washington 3 WP Ryota Igarashi, Livan Hernandez

The final line: New York 6 runs, 11 hits, 0 errors, Washington 3 runs, 7 hits, 0 errors

Next game: Monday, September 5th vs the Los Angeles Dodgers in Washington, game time 1:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 64 wins, 74 losses

Thumbs up Monday, Sep. 5th-Washington 7, Los Angeles Dodgers 2

The Los Angeles Dodgers come to town for a 4 game series with the first game played on Labor Day.

Washington starter John Lannan gets the win, going 5.1 innings, giving up 5 hits and 1 run while striking out 4 and walking 2. Manager Davey Johnson continues to get a lot of work out of the bullpen, once again using 5 different pitchers in the game.

For the Dodgers, Hiroki Kuroda is the starter and loser, working 6 innings giving up 8 hits and 5 runs while striking out 9. The Dodgers send 3 pitchers to the mound.

LA gets doubles from former National Jamey Carroll, A. J. Ellis, Matt Kemp and Justin Sellers. Washington would respond with doubles from Rick Ankiel, Alex Cora and Wilson Ramos and home runs from Ian Desmond, Mike Morse, who stroked 2, and Jayson Werth.

Washington 7, Los Angeles 2, WP John Lannan, LP Hiroki Kuroda

The final line: Washington 7 runs, 12 hits, 1 error, Los Angeles 2 runs, 9 hits, 1 error

Next game: Tuesday, September 6th vs the Dodgers in Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 65 wins, 74 losses

Thumbs down Tuesday, Sep. 6th-Dodgers 7, Nationals 3

The much awaited return of Stephen Strasburg came after 368 days since his last major league appearance.

Strasburg worked the first 5 innings, holding the Dodgers to 2 hits and no runs while striking out 4 and not walking any. Strasburg left with the Nationals holding a 3-0 lead. Unfortunately the subsequent Washington pitchers (The Nationals used 6 pitchers in the game.) allowed the Dodgers to tie and eventually take a commanding lead while the Nationals bats remained silent.

For the Dodgers, Ted Lilly started, also working 5 innings giving up 4 hits and 3 runs (2 earned) while walking 3 and striking out 9. The Dodgers would also use 6 pitchers in the contest.

Extra base hits came in the form of doubles for both teams-Rod Barajas, Andre Ethier, Dee Gordon and James Loney for Los Angeles while Washington got theirs from Chris Marrero and Wilson Ramos.

Strasburg scored his first major league run when a sacrifice bunt attempt resulted in his reaching 2nd base on a throwing error from where he'd later score. However, the Nationals would leave 11 men on base and go 3 for 15 in scoring opportunities.

With the remnants of Tropical Storm Lee soaking the Washington region all day there was some concern as to whether the game would be played. Intermittent showers fell during the game and in the 7th play was stopped for 31 minutes while heavier rains dampened the field.

Los Angeles 7, Washington 3 WP Kenley Jansen, LP Henry Rodriguez

The final line: Los Angeles 7 runs, 13 hits, 1 error, Washington 3 runs, 7 hits, 0 errors

Next game: Wednesday, September 7th vs the Dodgers in Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 65 wins, 75 losses

Last edited by Aa3rt; 09-10-2011 at 04:22 PM.

Wednesday, Sep. 7th-Dodgers @ Nationals postponed.

The 3rd game of the 4 game series between the Dodgers and Nationals in Washington has been postponed due to rain.

The game is now supposed to be made up as part of a double header on Thursday, Sep. 8th.

With the remnants of Tropical Storm Lee still soaking the Washington area with moonsoonal like rains I'm not really hopeful that they'll be able to pull this off. Even if it stops raining the ground is satuated. There have been numerous traffic problems in the Washington region due to flooded roads with another round of showers predicted for the overnight period.

About 15 miles East of Blue Heaven on Earth, Dodger Stadium
    1st game:
    In the first game: LAD: Billingsley (10-10, 4.15) WSH: Wang (2-3, 4.15)
    In the 2nd game: LAD: Eveland (1-0, 1:13) WSH: Detwiler (2-5, 3.83)

Looking forward to listening the games on MLB At Bat while working.

Thumbs down Thursday, Sep. 8th-(Game #1) Dodgers 7, Nationals 4

The Dodgers and Nationals were slated to play two games on Thursday with the first game going to the Dodgers by a score of 7-4, dropping the Nationals to 11 games under .500.

Los Angeles starter Chad Billingsley was limited to just 2.1 innings, giving up 5 hits and 4 runs while walking 3 and striking out 2. However, it was the Dodgers' relief corps who held the Nationals hitless for the remaining 6.2 innings giving the win to LA. The Dodgers used a total of 7 pitchers with Mike MacDougal getting the win and Javy Guerra earning his 16th save of the season.

For Washington, Chien-Ming Wang worked 6 innings, surrendering 7 hits and 4 runs while striking out 3. The Nationals sent 5 pitchers to the mound with Drew Storen being charged with the loss. Storen gave up 3 hits and 3 runs in just 2/3 rds of an inning.

For the Dodgers, Tony Gwynn, Jr., James Loney and Juan Rivera all doubled. Rivera doubled twice, both times driving in 2 runs with each 2 bagger. The Nationals countered with doubles from Rick Ankiel, Mike Morse and Ryan Zimmerman and a home run from Jayson Werth.

Los Angeles 7, Washington 4 WP Mike MacDougal (Javy Guerra, save #16), LP Drew Storen

The final line: Los Angeles 7 runs, 11 hits, 0 errors, Washington 4 runs, 5 hits, 1 error

Next game: Thursday, September 7th vs the Dodgers in Washington, game time-1 half hour after the end of game #1

Nationals record: 65 wins, 76 losses

Last edited by Aa3rt; 09-10-2011 at 06:22 AM.

Thursday, Sep. 8th-(Game #2) Los Angeles at Washington cancelled

Due to the persistent rains from Tropical Storm Lee, game #2 was cancelled. (Personally I'm surprised that game #1 was played considering the conditions.)

With both the Nationals and Dodgers so far down in the standings (Washington 65-76, 27.5 GB, Los Angeles 70-72, 12 GB) it's unlikely that this game will have any bearing on the National League playoffs so there are no plans to make the game up at this point.

Next game: Friday, Sep. 9th vs Houston Astros in Washington, game time 7:05PM
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 09-10-2011 at 04:22 PM.

Thumbs up Friday, Sep. 9th-Washington 4, Houston 3 (11 innings)

The Houston Astros make their only appearance in Washington this season for a 3 game series. Despite outhitting the Nationals 10-6, the Astros are eventual losers in the game due to 2 costly errors.

Houston starter Bud Norris worked 7 strong innings, surrendering 5 hits and 3 runs (2 earned) while walking 2 and striking out 4. An errant pickoff throw by Norris allowed Ian Desmond to reach second base and he would score on a double by Chris Marrero. The Astros would use 5 pitchers with Lucas Harrell being charged with the loss.

For Washington, Tom Milone gets his second major league start and has another good outing but still hasn't recorded a decision. Milone went 5.2 innings, giving up 8 hits and 3 runs, striking out 3 but not walking any. The Nationals also used 5 pitchers with Tyler Clippard getting credit for the win.

Offense for the Astros comes from doubles by Clint Barnes, Carlos Lee and Jordan Schafer while the Nationals countered with the previously mentioned double by Chris Marrero and a 2 run homer from Ryan Zimmerman.

However it was a potential double play ball hit by Jayson Werth in the bottom of the 11th that provided the eventual winning run. With runners on first and second Werth's hit to 3rd baseman Jimmy Paredes had the potential for an infield hit. However Paredes made an errant throw to second in an attempt to start a double play with the ball dribbling to right field and allowing Ryan Zimmerman to cross the plate with the winning run.

The victory gives the Nationals their 12th walk off win of the season. The Nationals are now 40-32 at home but a paltry 26-44 on the road.

Houston's loss drops them to 48-96 and they are very close to their first 100 loss season in their 50 year history.

Washington 4, Houston 3 (11 innings) WP Tyler Clippard, LP Lucas Harrell

The final line: Washington 4 runs, 6 hits, 0 errors, Houston 3 runs, 10 hits, 2 errors

Next game: Saturday, September 10th vs the Astros in Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 66 wins, 76 losses

Thumbs down Saturday, Sep. 10th-Astros 9, Nationals 3

The Houston Astros jump out to an early 6-0 lead as Washington starter John Lannan has his second shortest outing of the season and it was never really a ballgame as the Nationals couldn't overcome the early Houston lead.

Lannan worked 2.1 innings, surrendering 8 hits and 6 runs (4 earned) while walking and striking out 1. The 3rd inning was extended by 2 Washington errors, by left fielder Mike Morse and another by Lannan, who was charged with the loss. Washington sent 6 pitchers to the mound.

For Houston, Wandy Rodriguez got the start and the win going 6 innings, giving up 7 hits and 3 runs, striking out 7 but not walking any. Houston would use 4 pitchers in the game.

Despite the score the weren't many extra base hits. Houston's 16 hits included doubles from Carlos Lee, Jordan Schafer and Wandy Rodriguez while Washington got a double from Jesus Flores and a home run from Mike Morse.

Houston 9, Washington 3 WP Wandy Rodriguez, LP John Lannan

The final line: Houston 9 runs, 16 hits, 1 error, Washington 3 runs, 9 hits, 2 errors

Next game: Sunday, September 11th vs the Astros in Washington, game time 1:35PM EDT

Nationals record: 66 wins, 77 losses

Thumbs up Sunday, Sep. 11th-Nationals 8, Astros 2

Stephen Strasburg makes his second start after coming off the DL and gets his second no-decision but the moribund Nationals offense comes to life for at least 1 game and Washington wins their first series since August 19th-21st when they went 2 for 3 over the Phillies.

Strasburg worked 3 innings, giving up 3 hits and 1 run while striking out 4 but not issuing any walks. Tom Gorzelanny got the win, pitching 3 scoreless innings while giving up just 1 hit. The Nationals used 5 pitchers.

For Houston, Henry Sosa has a short afternoon going just 2.2 innings surrendering 7 hits and 5 runs while walking and striking out 2. Sosa yielded back to back to back homers to Ian Desmond, Rick Ankiel and Ryan Zimmerman in the top of the third. The Astros used 6 pitchers with Sosa being charged with the loss.

The Astros got a double from Matt Downs while the Nationals got 2 doubles from Danny Espinosa and another from Chris Marrero in addition to the already mentioned homers from Desmond, Ankiel and Zimmerman.

Washington 8, Houston 2 WP Tom Gorzelanny, LP Henry Sosa

The final line: Washington 8 runs, 12 hits, 1 error, Houston 2 runs, 7 hits, 0 errors

Next game: Monday, September 12th vs the Mets in New York, game time 7:10PM EDT

Nationals record: 67 wins, 77 losses

Thumbs up Monday, Sep. 12th-Nationals 3, Mets 2

The Washington Nationals make their way to New York for a 4 game series with the Mets.

The game had the make of a pitchers duel for the first 4 innings before the Nationals scored a run in the top of the 5th inning.

For the Mets R. A. Dickey went 7 innings in a losing effort, pitching 7 innings, giving up 8 hits and 2 runs while striking out 7 but not walking any. The Mets sent 5 pitchers to the mound in the contest.

For Washington, Ross Detwiler worked 5.2 innings, giving up 3 hits and 2 runs while walking 3 and striking out 2. Todd Coffey gets credit for the win while Drew Storen collected save number 35.

In the extra base department, the Mets got a double from Angel Pagan while the Nationals got a two-bagger from Jayson Werth.

Washington 3, New York 2 WP Todd Coffey (Drew Storen, save #35), LP R. A. Dickey

The final line: Washington 3 runs, 10 hits, 0 errors, New York 2 runs, 3 hits, 1 error

Next game: Tuesday, September 13th vs the Mets in New York, game time 7:10PM EDT

Nationals record: 68 wins, 77 losses

Current streak: 2 wins
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 09-14-2011 at 02:49 PM.

Thumbs up Tuesday, Sep. 13th-Nationals 3, Mets 2

"It's deja vu all over again!" The Nationals defeat the Mets for the second night in a row by the identical score of 3-2.

Washington starter Chien-Ming Wang tossed 5 innings, giving up 9 hits and 2 runs while striking out 4 and not walking any. The Nationals trotted out 7 pitchers to the mound with Craig Stammen getting credit for the win and Drew Storen getting credit for save # 36.

New York started Dillon Gee who worked 5.2 innings surrendering 6 hits and 2 runs while wlaking 2 and striking out 5. The Mets utilized 6 pitchers in the game with Dale Thayer being charged with the loss.

Extra base hits for the Nationals come in the form of doubles from Rick Ankiel and Mike Morse while the Mets collected a double from Josh Thole.

Washington 3, New York 2 WP Craig Stammen (Drew Storen, save #36), LP Dale Thayer

The final line: Washington 3 runs, 11 hits, 1 error, New York 2 runs, 11 hits, 0 errors

Next game: Wednesday, September 14th vs the Mets in New York, game time 7:10PM EDT

Nationals record: 69 wins, 77 losses

Current streak: 3 wins

Thumbs up Wednesday, Sep. 14th-Nationals 2, Mets 0

The Nationals make it 3 in a row against the Mets in a closely pitched game.

Washington Nationals rookie Brad Peacock, appears in his second major league game and makes his first start earning the victory by pitching 5 shutout innings over the Mets. Peacock worked 5 innings giving up 2 hits amd no runs while walking 3 and striking out 2. The Nationals used 4 pitchers with Drew Storen being awarded his 37th save of the season. It wasn't without drama though as Stored had a rough outing and Rick Ankiel made a superb diving catch in center with 2 out and 2 runners on to preserve the victory.

For the Mets Mike Pelfrey starts and is charged with the loss. Pelfrey pitched 7 innings giving up 6 hits and 2 runs while walking 2 and striking out 6. Both of the runs scored by the Nationals were unearned due to an error by 3rd baseman David Wright. The Mets used 3 pitchers.

The only extra base hit was a double by the Mets Justin Turner.

Washington 2, New York 0 WP Brad Peacock (Drew Storen, save #37), LP Mike Pelfrey

The final line: Washington 2 runs, 6 hits, 0 errors, New York 0 runs, 4 hits, 1 error

Next game: Thursday, September 15th vs the Mets in New York, game time 1:10PM EDT

Nationals record: 70 wins, 77 losses

Current streak: 4 wins
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 09-15-2011 at 07:42 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast