X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aa3rt
    Still a Senators fan!
    • Oct 2003

Sunday, Aug. 21st-Nationals 5, Phillies 4 (10 innings)

Another large crowd, another rain delay and more "Late Inning Lightning" by the Nationals ends in an extra inning victory for Washington.

Roy Halladay started for the Phillies, pitching 5 innings, giving up 7 hits and 2 runs while striking out 5 but not walking any. After the rain delay, the Phillies used 3 more pitchers with Brad Lidge being charged with the loss.

For the Nationals, Chien-Ming Wang pitched 5.2 innings, giving up 5 hits and 3 runs, walking 1 and striking out 4. Washington would ultimately use 6 pitchers with Sean Burnett earning the win.

For the Phillies Carlos Ruiz and Chase Utley homered. The Nationals got doubles from Ian Desmond and Ryan Zimmerman and home runs from Ian Desmond and Danny Espinosa. Desmond's homer came with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th, tying the game at 4-4.

However it was Jonny Gomes who was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 10th getting credit for the game winning RBI.

Nationals 5, Phillies 4 (10 innings) WP Sean Burnett, LP Brad Lidge

The final line: Washington 5 runs, 12 hits, 0 errors, Philadelphia 4 runs, 8 hits, 0 errors

Next game: Monday, August 22nd vs the Arizona Diamondbacks in Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 61 wins, 64 losses

Current streak: 1 win
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 08-24-2011, 04:55 AM.
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

• Aa3rt
      Still a Senators fan!
      • Oct 2003

Monday, August 22nd-Washington 4, Arizona 1

The struggling Arizona Diamondbacks make their way to Washington and see their current losing streak extended to 6 games. Arizona now leads the San Francisco Giants by just 1 game in the National League West.

Washington starter Ross Detwiler picks up his second win of the season by pitching 6.2 innings, giving up 6 hits and 1 run, walking 1 and striking out 3. The Nationals used 4 pitchers in the game with Drew Storen earning his 34th save.

For Arizona, starter Joe Saunders is charged with the loss. Saunders worked 6 innings, giving up 6 hits and 4 runs, walking 3 and striking out 2. The D'backs used 3 pitchers.

Arizona's only run came from a solo homer by Henry Blanco off Detwiler while Washington got a double and a 3 run homer from Jayson Werth.

Nationals 4, Diamondbacks 1 WP Ross Detwiler (Drew Storen, save #34), LP Joe Saunders

The final line: Washington 4 runs, 8 hits, 0 errors, Arizona 1 run, 6 hits, 0 errors

Next game: Tuesday, August 23rd vs Arizona in Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 62 wins, 64 losses

Current streak: 2 wins
      "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

• Aa3rt
        Still a Senators fan!
        • Oct 2003

Tuesday, Aug. 23-Arizona 2, Washington 0

After enduring 2 rain delays in the Philadelphia series that wrapped up on Sunday, the Diamondbacks and Nationals have to contend with an earthquake delay before the start of Tuesday's game in Washington. The opening of Nationals Park was put on hold while the stadium was inspected for structural damage and the game started 21 minutes late. Additionally, the D'backs team bus was held up in Washington traffic, resulting in the team's late arrival at the ballpark. To make matters even worse, the Nationals ended up being shut out for the second time in four days.

Despite the distractions, there was a ball game played with Arizona's Ian Kennedy pitching 7 strong innings, giving up 6 hits and no runs while walking 2 and striking out 8. The D'backs used 3 pitchers in the game with J. J. Putz picking up his 31st save.

For the Nationals, Jordan Zimmermann was the starter working 6.1 innings, giving up 5 hits and 2 runs while walking 2 and striking out 4. The Nationals sent 4 pitchers to the mound.

Washington did have some chances to score but left 8 men on base, going 0 for 7 in scoring opportunities.

The only runs in the game came in the top of the 7th on a 2 run homer by Sean Burroughs. Making it even more painful for Washington and their fans, this was Burroughs' first home run since April 30th of 2005.

In the extra base department, Miguel Montero and Ian Kennedy doubled in addition to Burroughs homer for Arizona while Washington's only extra base knock was a Wilson Ramos double.

Arizona 2, Washington 0 WP Ian Kennedy (JJ Putz, save #31), LP Jordan Zimmermann

The final line: Arizona 2 runs, 6 hits, 0 errors, Washington 0 runs, 6 hits, 0 errors

Next game: Wednesday, August 24th vs Arizona in Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 62 wins, 65 losses

Current streak: 1 loss
        Last edited by Aa3rt; 08-24-2011, 09:48 AM.

Comment

• Aa3rt
          Still a Senators fan!
          • Oct 2003

Wednesday, Aug. 24th-Arizona 4, Washington 2

The Arizona Diamondbacks take a 4-3 lead in the season series and maintain a 2 game lead over the San Francisco Giants with a 4-2 victory against the Washington Nationals.

Washington was held scoreless for a total of 21 consecutive innings going back to the 5th inning of Monday's game before finally scoring 2 runs in the bottom of the 9th.

Arizona starter Daniel Hudson earns the win by pitching 8.2 innings, giving up 9 hits and 2 runs while striking out 6 and not walking any. JJ Putz gets the call to complete the game and earns his 32nd save by getting the last out in the 9th.

For Washington, Livan Hernandez was the starter and is charged with the loss. Hernandez worked 7.1 innings, giving up 7 hits and 4 runs while walking 1 and striking out 5. The Nationals would use 3 pitchers.

The only extra base hit for the D'backs was a Chris Young double while the Nationals countered with doubles from Laynce Nix and Ian Desmond and home runs from Nix and Jonny Gomes. Unfortunately, both homers were solo shots coming in the bottom of the 9th and would be the only runs the Nationals would score.

Ryan Zimmerman sees his streak of 29 consecutive games of getting on base come to an end.

Arizona 4, Washington 2 WP Daniel Hudson (JJ Putz, save #32), LP Livan Hernandez

The final line: Arizona 4 runs, 8 hits, 0 errors, Washington 2 runs, 9 hits, 2 errors

Next game: Thursday, August 25th vs Arizona in Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 62 wins, 66 losses

Current streak: 2 losses

Moderator's note: I plan to be out of town, and without Internet access, for the next week. If someone wants to pinch hit during my departure, please be my guest. Otherwise there won't be any updates to this thread until I return late next week.
          Last edited by Aa3rt; 08-25-2011, 08:35 AM.

Comment

• Aa3rt
            Still a Senators fan!
            • Oct 2003

Catching up-Aug. 25th through Sep. 1st...

I've returned from my trip. Since no one chose to fill in during my absence, here's a rundown of what transpired while I was gone. Not pretty-7 games played, 1 win and 6 losses including a 3 game sweep in Cincinnati. :dismay:

In Washington...

Thursday, Aug. 25th Arizona 8, Washington 1

The final line: Diamondbacks 8 runs, 14 hits, 0 errors, Nationals 1 run, 8 hits, 1 error

In Cincinnati...

Friday, Aug. 26th Cincinnati 4, Washington 3

The final line: Reds 4 runs, 12 hits, 1 error, Nationals 3 runs, 8 hits, 1 error

Saturday, Aug. 27th Cincinnati 6, Washington 3

The final line: Reds 6 runs, 9 hits, 1 error, Nationals 3 runs, 8 hits, 2 errors

Sunday, Aug. 28th Cincinnati 5, Washington 4 (14 innings)

The final line: Reds 5 runs, 14 hits, 0 errors, Nationals 4 runs, 17 hits, 1 error

In Atlanta...

Tuesday, Aug. 30th Washington 9, Atlanta 2

The final line: Nationals 9 runs, 12 hits, 0 errors, Braves 2 runs, 5 hits, 1 error

Wednesday, Aug. 31st Atlanta 3, Washington 1

The final line: Braves 3 runs, 7 hits, 0 errors, Nationals 1 run, 3 hits, 1 error

Thursday, Sep. 1st Atlanta 5, Washington 2

The final line: Braves 5 runs, 8 hits, 1 error, Nationals 2 runs, 7 hits, 0 errors

Next game: Friday, Sep. 2nd vs. the New York Mets in Washington, game time 7:05PM

Nationals record: 63 wins, 72 losses

Comment

• Aa3rt
              Still a Senators fan!
              • Oct 2003

Friday, Sep. 2nd- New York 7, Washington 3

The return home doesn't help the Nationals as they drop their third in a row, having gone 1-9 in their last 10 games and are now 10 games under the .500 mark for the first time this season. h

Despite outhitting the Mets 12 to 9, New York benefitted from 3 home runs while Washington left 8 men on base and went 2 for 6 in scoring opportunities.

Nationals starter Ross Detwiler gets roughed up, lasting just 3 innings, giving up 7 hits and 6 runs while striking out 2. Detwiler was charged with the loss. Washington used 4 pitchers in the game.

For the Mets, R. A. Dickey worked 6 innings giving up 9 hits and 3 runs while striking out 1. Dickey was awarded the win. The Mets sent 5 pitchers to the mound.

New York got a double from David Wright and home runs from Lucas Duda, Nick Evans and Wright while Washington countered with a double from Rick Ankiel, a triple from Ian Desmond and a homer from Ankiel.

New York 7, Washington 3 WP R. A. Dickey, LP Ross Detwiler

The final line: New York 7 runs, 9 hits, 0 errors, Washington 3 runs, 12 hits, 1 error

Next game: Saturday, September 3rd vs the Mets in Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 63 wins, 73 losses

Current streak: 3 losses

Comment

• Aa3rt
                Still a Senators fan!
                • Oct 2003

Saturday, Sep. 3rd-Washington 8, New York 7

The Nationals put the brakes on the losing skid at 3 games with a dramatic, come from behind, 8-7 win over the New York Mets. The Nationals jumped out to an early 5-0 lead only to trail 7-6 in the bottom of the 9th, setting the stage for Ryan Zimmerman to drive in 2 runs with a bloop single to right field for another walk off win.

Washington starter Tom Milone made his major league debut, working 4.1 innings giving up 6 hits and 4 runs, striking out 2. The Nationals used 5 pitchers in the game with Sean Burnett getting the win.

For the Mets, Dillon Gee went 5 innings surrendering 8 hits and 6 runs while striking out 6 and walking 2. New York would also send 5 pitchers to the mound with Bobby Parnell being charged with both a blown save and the loss.

Offense for the Mets came from a David Wright double and home runs from Jason Bay and Nick Evans, Evans' second homer in two games.

For the Nationals Jesus Flores doubled, Ian Desmond stroked the first leadoff homer of his career, Roger Bernadina, just back from Syracuse, also homered as did starter Tom Milone, driving the first pitch he saw in his major league career into the Washington bullpen.

Washington 8, New York 7 WP Sean Burnett, LP Bobby Parnell

The final line: Washington 8 runs, 12 hits, 0 errors, New York 7 runs, 9 hits, 1 error

Next game: Sunday, September 4th vs the Mets in Washington, game time 1:35PM EDT

Nationals record: 64 wins, 73 losses

Comment

• Aa3rt
                  Still a Senators fan!
                  • Oct 2003

Sunday, Sep. 4th-New York 6, Washington 3

Washington starter Livan Hernandez made what is possibly his last start as a National and ends up being charged with the loss.

Hernandez worked 5.1 innings, giving up 8 hits and 6 runs while walking 1 and striking out 1. The Nationals used 5 pitchers in the game.

Mets starter Mike Pelfrey goes 4.2 innings, surrendering 5 hits and 3 runs while walking 5 and striking out 3. Ryota Igarashi is awarded the win and Bobby Parnell collects save number 5. The Mets also used 5 pitchers.

The only extra base hit for the Mets was a Lucas Duda home run while the Nationals got doubles from Roger Bernadina, Danny Espinosa and Wilson Ramos, Ramos stroking 2.

However it was a pinch hit single by former National Willie Harris off Todd Coffey (With the runs being charged to Hernandez.) that put the Mets ahead.

New York 6, Washington 3 WP Ryota Igarashi, Livan Hernandez

The final line: New York 6 runs, 11 hits, 0 errors, Washington 3 runs, 7 hits, 0 errors

Next game: Monday, September 5th vs the Los Angeles Dodgers in Washington, game time 1:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 64 wins, 74 losses

Comment

• Aa3rt
                    Still a Senators fan!
                    • Oct 2003

Monday, Sep. 5th-Washington 7, Los Angeles Dodgers 2

The Los Angeles Dodgers come to town for a 4 game series with the first game played on Labor Day.

Washington starter John Lannan gets the win, going 5.1 innings, giving up 5 hits and 1 run while striking out 4 and walking 2. Manager Davey Johnson continues to get a lot of work out of the bullpen, once again using 5 different pitchers in the game.

For the Dodgers, Hiroki Kuroda is the starter and loser, working 6 innings giving up 8 hits and 5 runs while striking out 9. The Dodgers send 3 pitchers to the mound.

LA gets doubles from former National Jamey Carroll, A. J. Ellis, Matt Kemp and Justin Sellers. Washington would respond with doubles from Rick Ankiel, Alex Cora and Wilson Ramos and home runs from Ian Desmond, Mike Morse, who stroked 2, and Jayson Werth.

Washington 7, Los Angeles 2, WP John Lannan, LP Hiroki Kuroda

The final line: Washington 7 runs, 12 hits, 1 error, Los Angeles 2 runs, 9 hits, 1 error

Next game: Tuesday, September 6th vs the Dodgers in Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 65 wins, 74 losses

Comment

• Aa3rt
                      Still a Senators fan!
                      • Oct 2003

Tuesday, Sep. 6th-Dodgers 7, Nationals 3

The much awaited return of Stephen Strasburg came after 368 days since his last major league appearance.

Strasburg worked the first 5 innings, holding the Dodgers to 2 hits and no runs while striking out 4 and not walking any. Strasburg left with the Nationals holding a 3-0 lead. Unfortunately the subsequent Washington pitchers (The Nationals used 6 pitchers in the game.) allowed the Dodgers to tie and eventually take a commanding lead while the Nationals bats remained silent.

For the Dodgers, Ted Lilly started, also working 5 innings giving up 4 hits and 3 runs (2 earned) while walking 3 and striking out 9. The Dodgers would also use 6 pitchers in the contest.

Extra base hits came in the form of doubles for both teams-Rod Barajas, Andre Ethier, Dee Gordon and James Loney for Los Angeles while Washington got theirs from Chris Marrero and Wilson Ramos.

Strasburg scored his first major league run when a sacrifice bunt attempt resulted in his reaching 2nd base on a throwing error from where he'd later score. However, the Nationals would leave 11 men on base and go 3 for 15 in scoring opportunities.

With the remnants of Tropical Storm Lee soaking the Washington region all day there was some concern as to whether the game would be played. Intermittent showers fell during the game and in the 7th play was stopped for 31 minutes while heavier rains dampened the field.

Los Angeles 7, Washington 3 WP Kenley Jansen, LP Henry Rodriguez

The final line: Los Angeles 7 runs, 13 hits, 1 error, Washington 3 runs, 7 hits, 0 errors

Next game: Wednesday, September 7th vs the Dodgers in Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 65 wins, 75 losses

Last edited by Aa3rt; 09-10-2011, 03:22 PM.

Comment

• Aa3rt
                        Still a Senators fan!
                        • Oct 2003

Wednesday, Sep. 7th-Dodgers @ Nationals postponed.

The 3rd game of the 4 game series between the Dodgers and Nationals in Washington has been postponed due to rain.

The game is now supposed to be made up as part of a double header on Thursday, Sep. 8th.

With the remnants of Tropical Storm Lee still soaking the Washington area with moonsoonal like rains I'm not really hopeful that they'll be able to pull this off. Even if it stops raining the ground is satuated. There have been numerous traffic problems in the Washington region due to flooded roads with another round of showers predicted for the overnight period.

Comment

• crzblue
                          • Nov 2005

1st game:
                          In the first game: LAD: Billingsley (10-10, 4.15) WSH: Wang (2-3, 4.15)
                          In the 2nd game: LAD: Eveland (1-0, 1:13) WSH: Detwiler (2-5, 3.83)

Looking forward to listening the games on MLB At Bat while working.

Comment

• Aa3rt
                            Still a Senators fan!
                            • Oct 2003

Thursday, Sep. 8th-(Game #1) Dodgers 7, Nationals 4

The Dodgers and Nationals were slated to play two games on Thursday with the first game going to the Dodgers by a score of 7-4, dropping the Nationals to 11 games under .500.

Los Angeles starter Chad Billingsley was limited to just 2.1 innings, giving up 5 hits and 4 runs while walking 3 and striking out 2. However, it was the Dodgers' relief corps who held the Nationals hitless for the remaining 6.2 innings giving the win to LA. The Dodgers used a total of 7 pitchers with Mike MacDougal getting the win and Javy Guerra earning his 16th save of the season.

For Washington, Chien-Ming Wang worked 6 innings, surrendering 7 hits and 4 runs while striking out 3. The Nationals sent 5 pitchers to the mound with Drew Storen being charged with the loss. Storen gave up 3 hits and 3 runs in just 2/3 rds of an inning.

For the Dodgers, Tony Gwynn, Jr., James Loney and Juan Rivera all doubled. Rivera doubled twice, both times driving in 2 runs with each 2 bagger. The Nationals countered with doubles from Rick Ankiel, Mike Morse and Ryan Zimmerman and a home run from Jayson Werth.

Los Angeles 7, Washington 4 WP Mike MacDougal (Javy Guerra, save #16), LP Drew Storen

The final line: Los Angeles 7 runs, 11 hits, 0 errors, Washington 4 runs, 5 hits, 1 error

Next game: Thursday, September 7th vs the Dodgers in Washington, game time-1 half hour after the end of game #1

Nationals record: 65 wins, 76 losses

Last edited by Aa3rt; 09-10-2011, 05:22 AM.

Comment

• Aa3rt
                              Still a Senators fan!
                              • Oct 2003

Thursday, Sep. 8th-(Game #2) Los Angeles at Washington cancelled

Due to the persistent rains from Tropical Storm Lee, game #2 was cancelled. (Personally I'm surprised that game #1 was played considering the conditions.)

With both the Nationals and Dodgers so far down in the standings (Washington 65-76, 27.5 GB, Los Angeles 70-72, 12 GB) it's unlikely that this game will have any bearing on the National League playoffs so there are no plans to make the game up at this point.

Next game: Friday, Sep. 9th vs Houston Astros in Washington, game time 7:05PM
                              Last edited by Aa3rt; 09-10-2011, 03:22 PM.

Comment

• Aa3rt
                                Still a Senators fan!
                                • Oct 2003

Friday, Sep. 9th-Washington 4, Houston 3 (11 innings)

The Houston Astros make their only appearance in Washington this season for a 3 game series. Despite outhitting the Nationals 10-6, the Astros are eventual losers in the game due to 2 costly errors.

Houston starter Bud Norris worked 7 strong innings, surrendering 5 hits and 3 runs (2 earned) while walking 2 and striking out 4. An errant pickoff throw by Norris allowed Ian Desmond to reach second base and he would score on a double by Chris Marrero. The Astros would use 5 pitchers with Lucas Harrell being charged with the loss.

For Washington, Tom Milone gets his second major league start and has another good outing but still hasn't recorded a decision. Milone went 5.2 innings, giving up 8 hits and 3 runs, striking out 3 but not walking any. The Nationals also used 5 pitchers with Tyler Clippard getting credit for the win.

Offense for the Astros comes from doubles by Clint Barnes, Carlos Lee and Jordan Schafer while the Nationals countered with the previously mentioned double by Chris Marrero and a 2 run homer from Ryan Zimmerman.

However it was a potential double play ball hit by Jayson Werth in the bottom of the 11th that provided the eventual winning run. With runners on first and second Werth's hit to 3rd baseman Jimmy Paredes had the potential for an infield hit. However Paredes made an errant throw to second in an attempt to start a double play with the ball dribbling to right field and allowing Ryan Zimmerman to cross the plate with the winning run.

The victory gives the Nationals their 12th walk off win of the season. The Nationals are now 40-32 at home but a paltry 26-44 on the road.

Houston's loss drops them to 48-96 and they are very close to their first 100 loss season in their 50 year history.

Washington 4, Houston 3 (11 innings) WP Tyler Clippard, LP Lucas Harrell

The final line: Washington 4 runs, 6 hits, 0 errors, Houston 3 runs, 10 hits, 2 errors

Next game: Saturday, September 10th vs the Astros in Washington, game time 7:05PM EDT

Nationals record: 66 wins, 76 losses

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X