• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VTSoxFan
    Ever Hopeful BoSox Mod
    • Jan 2000

2011 Red Sox Spring Training Talk

I'm posting this a little late, but there's still some preseason to discuss - games, prospects, roster moves. Have at it, folks!

(I must also apologize for not being around here; family stuff filled my waking moments all winter. Things are getting better, so I hope to be on the boards more frequently.)
    --Annie
    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
    Remember Yellowdog
    ABNY
  • Boston Boxer
    US Air Force Retired
    • Jun 2003

good to hear from you...we have been using the off season thread, but can start posting here. Thanks Annie

Comment

• Boston Boxer
      US Air Force Retired
      • Jun 2003

Paplebon alert...things getting interesting with him this spring. Shaky again today

Comment

• Boston Boxer
        US Air Force Retired
        • Jun 2003

at this point in spring training, you should start to see some better pitching performances than we have. Hopefully Beckett improves on his two bad back to back games heading into the season.

Comment

• VTSoxFan
          Ever Hopeful BoSox Mod
          • Jan 2000

Didn't see the game, but heard that Matsuzaka did pretty well yesterday, but the relievers gave away the game.

Re: Papelbon; I am wondering if Jenks was brought on board because Papelbon has been far from a sure thing these past couple of years. Jenks is slotted as a setup man now, but if Papelbon proves unreliable in the early going, how soon will they switch spots?
          --Annie
          Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
          Remember Yellowdog
          ABNY

Comment

• VTSoxFan
            Ever Hopeful BoSox Mod
            • Jan 2000

Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
            good to hear from you...we have been using the off season thread, but can start posting here. Thanks Annie
            You're welcome, BB. And thank you, as well. It's good to be back.
            --Annie
            Remember Yellowdog
            ABNY

Comment

• Mike D.
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by VTSoxFan View Post
              Re: Papelbon; I am wondering if Jenks was brought on board because Papelbon has been far from a sure thing these past couple of years. Jenks is slotted as a setup man now, but if Papelbon proves unreliable in the early going, how soon will they switch spots?
              I think Jenks was brought in to setup...and be in the mix for 2012 as a closer option. If Papelbon falls flat on his face this year...we may see Jenks in that role at some point. That'll be one of those distractions/media/fan things...as soon as Papelbon has a bad inning, everyone will be yelling for Jenks. I think that once the games mean something, Papelbon will pitch better and hopefully that talk will quiet down. Guys like Papelbon and Beckett pitch on adrenaline a lot, so I think their weak ST's aren't that big a deal (he said, hopefully).

I think Papelbon will be solid this year...heck, he was solid last year, Sox fans are just spoiled...and he'll go off and get his money, and the Sox will get a draft pick (assuming the draft pick compensation rules don't change).
              Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

• Therwil Flyer
                #firedavedombrowski
                • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
                That'll be one of those distractions/media/fan things...as soon as Papelbon has a bad inning, everyone will be yelling for Jenks.
                Not everyone. I'll be yelling for Bard ;-)

Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
                I think that once the games mean something, Papelbon will pitch better and hopefully that talk will quiet down. Guys like Papelbon and Beckett pitch on adrenaline a lot, so I think their weak ST's aren't that big a deal (he said, hopefully).
                As you Mike I'm of the opinion that one shouldn't read much into spring training stats (for several reasons). But what do you guys think about Beckett? If reports are correct, his fastball velo is around 90/91. Maybe that's normal for him in ST, I don't know, but he didn't look too good so far.
                Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

• scaffolds
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
                  Not everyone. I'll be yelling for Bard ;-)

As you Mike I'm of the opinion that one shouldn't read much into spring training stats (for several reasons). But what do you guys think about Beckett? If reports are correct, his fastball velo is around 90/91. Maybe that's normal for him in ST, I don't know, but he didn't look too good so far.
                  I saw Papelbon pitch on Monday (March 21) vs Tampa's A level team and was having a lot command issues, gave a base hit and two bases on balls in 1 1/3 Ip (was supposed to pitch 2 IPs) but bacause the number of pitches that he threw was taking out was behind the count in all of the hitters he faced.

Comment

• Boston Boxer
                    US Air Force Retired
                    • Jun 2003

it has not been a real great spring for our pitching staff minus Dice-K. But, it's spring and i will start worrying when they are still pitching like this in June.

Comment

• Mike D.
                      • Feb 2006

Looks like the bullpen competition is over (for now).

Albers and Reyes get the last two bullpen spots, Okajima and Aceves to the minors.

I imagine if Oki and Aceves pitch well, they'll see time in the majors at some point this season. It looks like Reyes and Albers get the first shot mostly because they're out of options and would have been lost if they didn't make the team. Makes sense to me...keep as many arms in the system as you can, and figure those last two spots will shift until you find someone who proves they can hold them.
                      Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

• Boston Boxer
                        US Air Force Retired
                        • Jun 2003

can someone start a 2011 season thread?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X