Thread: The Living Philadelphia Athletics

The Living Philadelphia Athletics

I thought this thread might be of some use.

There are 23 Philadelphia Athletics players left:

(name, age)

Carl Miles, 96
    Fred Caligiuri, 95
    Bill Mills, 94
    Dick Adams, 94
    Larry Eschen, 93

Eddie Robinson, 93
    Neal Watlington, 91
    George Yankowski, 91
    Ed Samcoff, 89
    Bill DeMars, 88

Bobby Shantz, 88
    Tommy Giordano, 88
    Ozzie Van Brabant, 87
    Carl Scheib, 87
    Jim Robertson, 86

Bill Harrington, 86
    Joe DeMaestri, 85
    Bill Wilson, 85
    Len Matarazzo, 85
    Art Ditmar, 85

Skeeter Kell, 84
    Hal Raether, 81
    Bill Oster, 81

Reported deaths since this list began:

Name: birth date, death date, age at time of death

Ray Coleman: June 4, 1922 - September 18, 2010, 88
    Charlie Metro: April 28, 1919 - March 18, 2011, 92
    Eddie Joost: June 5, 1916 - April 12, 2011, 94
    Frank Fanovich: January 11, 1922 - August 27, 2011, 88
    Benny McCoy: November 9, 1915 - November 9, 2011, 96
    Sonny Dixon: November 5, 1924 - November 21, 2011, 87
    Dave Philley: May 16, 1920 - March 15, 2012, 91
    Allie Clark: June 16, 1923 - April 2, 2012, 88
    Al Brancato: May 29, 1919 - June 14, 2012, 93
    Bubba Harris: February 15, 1926 - January 12, 2013, 86
    Joe Astroth: September 1, 1922 - May 3, 2013, 90
    Bob Savage: December 1, 1921 - July 26, 2013, 91
    Ace Parker: May 7, 1912 - November 6, 2013, 101
    Lou Brissie: June 5, 1924 - November 25, 2013, 89
    Vern Benson: September 19, 1924 - January 20, 2014, 89
    Johnny Gray: December 11, 1926 - May 21, 2014, 87
    Bill Renna: October 14, 1924 - June 19, 2014, 89
    Last edited by Cowtipper; 07-16-2014 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Bill Renna
    Check out my stuff for sale on eBay! Autos of Heyward, Castro, Zimmermann, Brantley, Quentin, Borbon, Britton, Burgess, Weathers, Lotzkar & Main! Jersey cards of Fielder & Machado! 50 card lots of the Yankees, Red Sox, Braves, Dodgers, Cardinals and Tigers - starting bid only $0.50, each book for $30+! Plus a guide on how to get autographs...for free!

My website...
    My other website...
    My other, other website...

Ray Coleman is dead as well.

Thanks for letting me know. So now there are only 37 living Philadelphia A's left, unless of course if there are some that I missed when compiling the list.
    Check out my stuff for sale on eBay! Autos of Heyward, Castro, Zimmermann, Brantley, Quentin, Borbon, Britton, Burgess, Weathers, Lotzkar & Main! Jersey cards of Fielder & Machado! 50 card lots of the Yankees, Red Sox, Braves, Dodgers, Cardinals and Tigers - starting bid only $0.50, each book for $30+! Plus a guide on how to get autographs...for free!

My website...
    My other website...

Actually, you did miss one. Bubba Harris is still alive.

Alright, back to 38. Thanks again.

My website...
    My other website...

Ace Parker, the oldest living Phila. Athletic, is the 2nd oldest living major leaguer and more importantly recently became the oldest living Pro Football Player. He is also a Pro Football Hall Of Famer.

Any info on what teams they played for?
    The Evil Empire shall strike back again!
    http://litbases.wordpress.com/

EDDIE JOOST (1916-2011)

The Philadelphia Inquirer and Philadelphia Daily News report that Eddie Joost passed away yesterday, Tuesday April 12 at age 94. (Born June 5, 1916).
    He hit .239 lifetime with 134 home runs and with the Philadelphia Atrhletics he was an American League All-Star in 1949 & 1952. He played for one Worlds Champion: the 1940 Cincinnati Reds.
    His MLB career spanned 20 seasons from 1936 to 1955 (Ages 20 to 39). He was the A's player-manager in 1954, the Athletics final season in Philadelphia. Up until the time of his death he was the third oldest Athletics player and the 10th oldest living former major leaguer.
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 04-13-2011 at 08:30 AM.

Updated to reflect the passing of Frank Fanovich.

My website...
    My other website...

Updated to reflect the passing of Benny McCoy. 35 left

My website...
    My other website...

Updated to reflect the passing of Sonny Dixon. 34 left

My website...
    My other website...

Updated to reflect the passing of Dave Philley. 33 left

My website...
    My other website...

Updated to reflect the passing of Allie Clark. 32 left

My website...
    My other website...

Updated to reflect the passing of Al Brancato.

My website...
    My other website...

Tom Saffell, 91, passed away in Sarasota, Florida sometime around Mid-September 2012. He was an outfielder for 17 years in the minors and reached the majors for four seasons with the 1949-1951 Pittsburgh Pirates and as part of the first Athletics team after their move from Philadelphia to Kansas City in 1955.
    His progress towards the major leagues was delayed by World War Two military service in the Army Air Corps and he debuted in the majors at age 28. He hit .238 with 6 home runs and 40 RBI in 602 major league at bats.
    Saffell stayed active in the baseball world practically his entire life and enjoyed a very long career.. He was Gulf Coast League (Rookie) President for 31 seasons (1979 to 2009) retiring at the age of 88.

Updated to reflect the passing of Bubba Harris.

My website...
    My other website...

15 former Philadelphia Athletics are currently listed among Wikipedia's list of the 100 oldest living major league baseball players. (as of 1/20/2013). The Oldest living Athletic is Clarence "Ace "Parker", a shortstop, who is the 2nd oldest living major leaguer (100 years, 248 days - birthdate 5/17/1912). The 15th oldest living Phila. A's player is Bill Renna, an outfielder, who is also the 100th oldest living major leaguer, according to Wikipedia. Wikipedia gives Renna's birthdate as 10/14/1924 and his age as 88 years, 98 days through January 20.

Updated to reflect the passing of Joe Astroth.

My website...
    My other website...

Updated to reflect the passing of Bob Savage.

My website...
    My other website...

Updated to reflect the passing of Ace Parker.

My website...
    My other website...

Updated to reflect the passing of Lou Brissie.

My website...
    My other website...

25 former Philadelphia Athletics remain after the passing of Vern Benson on 1/20/14.

Updated to reflect the passing of Vern Benson, as PhilliesFiend noted above.

My website...
    My other website...

Updated to reflect the passing of Johnny Gray.

My website...
    My other website...

Updated to reflect the passing of Bill Renna. Also updated the ages.

My website...
    My other website...