Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 1022

Thread: The Season: 2011

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,765
    Blog Entries
    9

    The Season: 2011

    It's a new day, a new year boys and girls. Opening day is here again!

    This year the Yanks come in sort of underdogs. The Red Sox had a huge off-season and of course are the favorites to win the AL East. The Rays how've been the upstarts have been raided and lost many pieces, can they still hang with the big boys?

    Will Robinson Cano continue his upswing and be the new face of the Franchise? Alex looked young again in Spring Training, will that trend continue? Was Mark Teixiera's 2010 season a fluke? Or a sign of things to come? Can Larry Rothschild fix Aj Burnett? How will PJ Hughes follow up his 18 win season? Will the bullpen be as dominant as people predict? What can we expect from Joba? Will Mo tell anyone else where the Fountain of Youth is?

    A lot of questions need answering and it's sure to be an exciting season once again!!
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

  2. #2
    Mark Teixera with 3 run HR! Good to see him hit so early.

    Joba looks good. He cant be worse than he was last season. I mean do you remember that Indians game? Brrr.
    Last edited by The Korean; 03-31-2011 at 12:29 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    Posts
    11,406
    Blog Entries
    1
    I couldnt have asked for a better way to start the season. Teixeira doesn't wait until May 15th to start hitting - he actually hits a home run on opening day! Sabathia with the usual solid start, nothing spectacular, but got the job done. And 3 perfect innings from Joba, Soriano and Mo.

    I'm starting to think we might go 162-0...
    RIP Bill Burgess - a gentleman and a scholar - Baseball-Fever will never be the same without you.

  4. #4
    Solid start by CC, not his best, but good enough to let the offense do their job. Verlander didn't have his best either.

    What was Swisher thinking trying to go for two? Did he think it would be caught so he made a wide turn being lazy?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Unfortunately MA
    Posts
    1,711
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    I couldnt have asked for a better way to start the season. Teixeira doesn't wait until May 15th to start hitting - he actually hits a home run on opening day! Sabathia with the usual solid start, nothing spectacular, but got the job done. And 3 perfect innings from Joba, Soriano and Mo.

    I'm starting to think we might go 162-0...
    Grandy Day! I couldn't agree more! Perfect. Very excited especially with everybody picking the BoSox.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, New York
    Posts
    5,603
    Jeter didn't get a hit, but walked, scored a run, and had an RBI. Solid night for the Captain!
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

  7. #7
    Our hope for the postseason depends on AJ Burnett.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by The Korean View Post
    Our hope for the postseason depends on AJ Burnett.
    While I agree that depending on how he does will tell if the Yankees are in good shape for the first half, the second half is a different animal, and my guess is by July 31st AJ Burnett will not be the number 2 starter if he's doing a mediocre job. I fully expect the Yankees to go out and make a big trade for top flight starter, to sure up the rotation. With that said, if AJ has a good year, then the Yankees are in a good position.
    The 27 Time World Series Champions New York Yankees!

  9. #9
    This game isnt so much that we are great, but how lousy Brad Penny is.

    I would be mad if we won, but if AJ stunk.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    China
    Posts
    92
    does anyone know what sterlings home run call for martin was?
    Cheering the Yanks from various parts of Asia

  11. #11
    I imagine he makes some reference to Martin being from qUEBEC.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    161st St & River Ave (by way of Northern NJ)
    Posts
    21,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Great game today, especially the save by Mo, and the early offense by Tex.

    I'm wondering if there should be a separate thread to Jeter, such as a countdown to 3,000. Anyone else here think this would be worth it?
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    161st St & River Ave (by way of Northern NJ)
    Posts
    21,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by AVA8 View Post
    does anyone know what sterlings home run call for martin was?
    Someone told me that it was "Russell has Muscles". Wow.

    Russell also stole 3B.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, New York
    Posts
    5,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattingly View Post
    Great game today, especially the save by Mo, and the early offense by Tex.

    I'm wondering if there should be a separate thread to Jeter, such as a countdown to 3,000. Anyone else here think this would be worth it?
    You know how I would feel about that.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    Posts
    11,406
    Blog Entries
    1
    Burnett's 2010 ERA - 5.26

    Burnett's ERA yesterday (3 ER in 5 innings) - 5.40

    Yet the media is trying to convince me he had a good start.
    RIP Bill Burgess - a gentleman and a scholar - Baseball-Fever will never be the same without you.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    Burnett's 2010 ERA - 5.26

    Burnett's ERA yesterday (3 ER in 5 innings) - 5.40

    Yet the media is trying to convince me he had a good start.
    He did have a good start. And considering he was sick, I think he did a pretty good job. Don't pay attention to ERA until he gets more starts. You don't pay attention to any statistic until the players get more games, AB's, innings, etc. Right now averages, ERA, etc are inaccurate and invalid to judge a players performance so far.

    He had a good start yesterday because he only gave up 3 runs( not a great start, but it was pretty solid considering CC also have up 3 runs as well), struck out 6, and only walked one.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    Posts
    11,406
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    He did have a good start. And considering he was sick, I think he did a pretty good job. Don't pay attention to ERA until he gets more starts. You don't pay attention to any statistic until the players get more games, AB's, innings, etc. Right now averages, ERA, etc are inaccurate and invalid to judge a players performance so far.

    He had a good start yesterday because he only gave up 3 runs( not a great start, but it was pretty solid considering CC also have up 3 runs as well), struck out 6, and only walked one.
    Maybe he only gave up 3 runs because he only pitched 5 innings. I'm sorry, I can never consider 5 innings, 3 earned runs to be a good start. It doesn't even meet the low standards of being a "quality start". The K:BB ratio is certainly encouraging, though.
    RIP Bill Burgess - a gentleman and a scholar - Baseball-Fever will never be the same without you.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    Maybe he only gave up 3 runs because he only pitched 5 innings. I'm sorry, I can never consider 5 innings, 3 earned runs to be a good start. It doesn't even meet the low standards of being a "quality start". The K:BB ratio is certainly encouraging, though.
    You have to consider he was sick as well. I think everyone would understand how that feels. You're not going to have the endurance you normally will have. Given everything considered, it's hopefully a good sign and would say it was a quality/decent start from Burnett.

    CC only lasted one more inning giving up the same number of runs. Does three more outs really matter in saying CC's was a quality start and AJ's sucked?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    Posts
    11,406
    Blog Entries
    1
    Only 2 of CC's runs were earned, but your point is taken. Burnett's start was impressive if he was as sick as he claims.
    RIP Bill Burgess - a gentleman and a scholar - Baseball-Fever will never be the same without you.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    386
    Is it just me, or was last night's game just a total bore?
    The Evil Empire shall strike back again!
    http://litbases.wordpress.com/

  21. #21
    My god, Bartolo Colon sucks.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    834
    It's interesting that in the offseason discussion of who would take the 4 and 5 spots in the rotation, I forgot about the fact that the 2 and 3 spots are shaky at best. Hughes did not look good at all today. He seemed to be having the same problem that plagued him in the second half of last year, namely that he couldn't get outs once he got two strikes on a batter. I have to think that's symptomatic of not being able to fool the batters and/or just plain throw one by them.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by SD Bomber Fan View Post
    It's interesting that in the offseason discussion of who would take the 4 and 5 spots in the rotation, I forgot about the fact that the 2 and 3 spots are shaky at best. Hughes did not look good at all today. He seemed to be having the same problem that plagued him in the second half of last year, namely that he couldn't get outs once he got two strikes on a batter. I have to think that's symptomatic of not being able to fool the batters and/or just plain throw one by them.
    Hughes was not good, but so far not many pitchers have been. Take a look at the Red Sox vaunted staff. Let's wait until a few more games are in before passing judgement.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bronx, NY
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronSamedi View Post
    Is it just me, or was last night's game just a total bore?
    I can attest that last night's game was no bore. I was there, albeit in left field corner section 434B, row 13 where I was unable to see the scoreboard, the Jumbotron, and the homers by Austin Jackson and Russel Martin. My complaints were that it got cold after 6:30 and that official attendance was about 9,000 short of a sellout. What's the matter? People are smarting because we don't have Cliff Lee and Andy Pettitte? No doubt Hughes and Colon were putrid, I'll agree. Let's keep our fingers crossed that they regroup. Yeah, HOPE!

  25. #25
    well your season started much better than the sox season.

    the offense is going well,I said before that you don't need to panick.
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and can’t run, most of the time he’s clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. – Dusty Baker.

Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •