Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Season: 2011

My god, Bartolo Colon sucks.

It's interesting that in the offseason discussion of who would take the 4 and 5 spots in the rotation, I forgot about the fact that the 2 and 3 spots are shaky at best. Hughes did not look good at all today. He seemed to be having the same problem that plagued him in the second half of last year, namely that he couldn't get outs once he got two strikes on a batter. I have to think that's symptomatic of not being able to fool the batters and/or just plain throw one by them.

Quote Originally Posted by SD Bomber Fan View Post
    It's interesting that in the offseason discussion of who would take the 4 and 5 spots in the rotation, I forgot about the fact that the 2 and 3 spots are shaky at best. Hughes did not look good at all today. He seemed to be having the same problem that plagued him in the second half of last year, namely that he couldn't get outs once he got two strikes on a batter. I have to think that's symptomatic of not being able to fool the batters and/or just plain throw one by them.
    Hughes was not good, but so far not many pitchers have been. Take a look at the Red Sox vaunted staff. Let's wait until a few more games are in before passing judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by BaronSamedi View Post
    Is it just me, or was last night's game just a total bore?
    I can attest that last night's game was no bore. I was there, albeit in left field corner section 434B, row 13 where I was unable to see the scoreboard, the Jumbotron, and the homers by Austin Jackson and Russel Martin. My complaints were that it got cold after 6:30 and that official attendance was about 9,000 short of a sellout. What's the matter? People are smarting because we don't have Cliff Lee and Andy Pettitte? No doubt Hughes and Colon were putrid, I'll agree. Let's keep our fingers crossed that they regroup. Yeah, HOPE!

well your season started much better than the sox season.

the offense is going well,I said before that you don't need to panick.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SD Bomber Fan View Post
    Yeah I also don't get why or how it is that Hughes can quickly get a batter to 2 strikes but just not be able to put him away consistently.
    Keep in mind that currently his fastball is sitting at 90MPH and not his normal 93 to 95 MPH. Not sure what's cause that but hopefully a few more starts and we'll see an uptick in his velocity.
    Last edited by TonyStarks; 04-04-2011 at 08:04 AM.
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Hughes' velocity was down a tick at the end of 2010, including the playoffs, and it was in the mid to high 80s in Spring Training. With his location issues yesterday, I'm beginning to fear that there may be some underlying condition or injury. I'm hoping for the best, but we all know how volatile a pitcher's arm can be...

Every time it seems like, Cano will always chase a ball high in the zone for strike 3. When will Cano learn to lay off that high pitch out of the zone?

Dang. Posada is on fire.
    Last edited by quagmire; 04-04-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
    Hughes was not good, but so far not many pitchers have been. Take a look at the Red Sox vaunted staff. Let's wait until a few more games are in before passing judgement.
    Yea, Hughes has a track record, we know he can be good, he most likely just had a bad game. Colon on the other hand.... But to be fair he did seem more stable after giving up all those runs.

If Nova does well today I am more and more convinced he can be a permanent part of our rotation.

Russell Martin, if he does 2/3 as well as he hit the last 4 games over the course of the season, its a tremendous signing.

He pitched a lot of innings last year. Not saying he won't get it back bit it is to be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by The Korean View Post
    Yea, Hughes has a track record, we know he can be good, he most likely just had a bad game.
    What track record are you speaking of?

In 319.2 IP as a starter, Hughes has a 4.76 ERA, 4.50 FIP, and a 4.48 xFIP - that's below average, and there's really no way around that. His stellar ten-start stretch to begin 2011 certainly demonstrated that he could be a fine starter ... but that was followed by 112.2 IP with a 5.11 ERA and a 5.18 FIP (indicating that there wasn't too much bad luck there). Would you suggest that 63.2 IP of strong pitching outweigh 256 IP of poor pitching?

I like Hughes, and I believe in his potential - I don't see him as an ace, but he could be a damn fine number two ... but let's not pretend that he's any more of a sure thing than anyone else in the rotation.

Hes more of a sure thing than Nova or Garcia...or Burnett.

Atta boy Joba. Clean 1 2 3 inning.

Garcia's 2010 was better than Hughes' post-May 2010, and is roughly on-par with Hughes' body of work as a starter. How is Hughes more of a sure thing?

Burnett's 2010 was entirely out of the context of his career - not unlike Hughes' first ten starts in 2010. Burnett's velocity is fine, and his six seasons prior to 2010 (post-TJS) were all above league-average by a fair margin. How is Hughes more of a sure thing?

Nova is unproven in the Majors, sure - but Hughes has 319.2 IP of below-average pitching under his belt ... does that really make him more of a sure thing? Even so, is that something to hang your hat on?

Nova pitched decently. It was a repeat of last year. He's dominant the first time through the lineup. He only had what? 30 pitches into the 4th inning. But, he struggles when he sees them again. Thankfully, he could keep the Twins in check to get it to our solid bullpen so far.

Tex was close to getting his 4th HR this year. It was just foul. That has to hurt.

So, after Rivera got his 3rd Save in the first 4 games of the season, it got me to thinking, can he and will he catch up to Hoffman's Saves record this season?

Rivera is currently sitting at 462 Saves to Hoffmans 601. That puts him 39 away. So Mo would need 42 Saves this season to catch him and 43 to pass. He is just 2 seasons removed from a 44 save year but he is older (not that you could really tell . . .).

Yes it's very possible, but the with the Yankees offense that can blow out teams it's going to be hard. Its not like we are a team that tries to manufacture runs. Its amazing to me that Mo is still this good. So it really wouldn't surprise me. I'd be happy with him getting all those saves cause that means we are winning a lot of games. The only thing that's going for him is our starting pitching is a little shakier then it's been.

I have to say, I like Russell Martin so far.
    The Evil Empire shall strike back again!
    http://litbases.wordpress.com/

Mark Texeira is HOT!

Forgive me for stepping up on my soapbox here, but I sort of hate the fact that there's little to no real discussion here anymore. It seems like the Yankees sub-forum is limited to short phrases either bashing or praising a player - it's incredibly reactionary. I would really love to see a bit more discussion and debate.

^We need a game day thread around here then.

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast