• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • quagmire
    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    Burnett's 2010 ERA - 5.26

Burnett's ERA yesterday (3 ER in 5 innings) - 5.40

Yet the media is trying to convince me he had a good start.
    He did have a good start. And considering he was sick, I think he did a pretty good job. Don't pay attention to ERA until he gets more starts. You don't pay attention to any statistic until the players get more games, AB's, innings, etc. Right now averages, ERA, etc are inaccurate and invalid to judge a players performance so far.

He had a good start yesterday because he only gave up 3 runs( not a great start, but it was pretty solid considering CC also have up 3 runs as well), struck out 6, and only walked one.

Comment

• GiambiJuice
      • May 2005

Originally posted by quagmire View Post
      He did have a good start. And considering he was sick, I think he did a pretty good job. Don't pay attention to ERA until he gets more starts. You don't pay attention to any statistic until the players get more games, AB's, innings, etc. Right now averages, ERA, etc are inaccurate and invalid to judge a players performance so far.

He had a good start yesterday because he only gave up 3 runs( not a great start, but it was pretty solid considering CC also have up 3 runs as well), struck out 6, and only walked one.
      Maybe he only gave up 3 runs because he only pitched 5 innings. I'm sorry, I can never consider 5 innings, 3 earned runs to be a good start. It doesn't even meet the low standards of being a "quality start". The K:BB ratio is certainly encouraging, though.
      My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
      2. Barry Bonds
      3. Ty Cobb
      4. Ted Williams
      5. Willie Mays
      6. Alex Rodriguez
      7. Hank Aaron
      8. Honus Wagner
      9. Lou Gehrig
      10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

• quagmire
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
        Maybe he only gave up 3 runs because he only pitched 5 innings. I'm sorry, I can never consider 5 innings, 3 earned runs to be a good start. It doesn't even meet the low standards of being a "quality start". The K:BB ratio is certainly encouraging, though.
        You have to consider he was sick as well. I think everyone would understand how that feels. You're not going to have the endurance you normally will have. Given everything considered, it's hopefully a good sign and would say it was a quality/decent start from Burnett.

CC only lasted one more inning giving up the same number of runs. Does three more outs really matter in saying CC's was a quality start and AJ's sucked?

Comment

• GiambiJuice
          • May 2005

Only 2 of CC's runs were earned, but your point is taken. Burnett's start was impressive if he was as sick as he claims.
          My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
          2. Barry Bonds
          3. Ty Cobb
          4. Ted Williams
          5. Willie Mays
          6. Alex Rodriguez
          7. Hank Aaron
          8. Honus Wagner
          9. Lou Gehrig
          10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

• BaronSamedi
            Baron of the Evil Empire
            • Sep 2009

Is it just me, or was last night's game just a total bore?
            The Evil Empire shall strike back again!
            http://litbases.wordpress.com/

Comment

• The Korean
              No more losing streak
              • Apr 2009

My god, Bartolo Colon sucks.

Comment

• SD Bomber Fan
                • Jun 2005

It's interesting that in the offseason discussion of who would take the 4 and 5 spots in the rotation, I forgot about the fact that the 2 and 3 spots are shaky at best. Hughes did not look good at all today. He seemed to be having the same problem that plagued him in the second half of last year, namely that he couldn't get outs once he got two strikes on a batter. I have to think that's symptomatic of not being able to fool the batters and/or just plain throw one by them.

Comment

• NJYankeeFan
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by SD Bomber Fan View Post
                  It's interesting that in the offseason discussion of who would take the 4 and 5 spots in the rotation, I forgot about the fact that the 2 and 3 spots are shaky at best. Hughes did not look good at all today. He seemed to be having the same problem that plagued him in the second half of last year, namely that he couldn't get outs once he got two strikes on a batter. I have to think that's symptomatic of not being able to fool the batters and/or just plain throw one by them.
                  Hughes was not good, but so far not many pitchers have been. Take a look at the Red Sox vaunted staff. Let's wait until a few more games are in before passing judgement.

Comment

• elancaster
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by BaronSamedi View Post
                    Is it just me, or was last night's game just a total bore?
                    I can attest that last night's game was no bore. I was there, albeit in left field corner section 434B, row 13 where I was unable to see the scoreboard, the Jumbotron, and the homers by Austin Jackson and Russel Martin. My complaints were that it got cold after 6:30 and that official attendance was about 9,000 short of a sellout. What's the matter? People are smarting because we don't have Cliff Lee and Andy Pettitte? No doubt Hughes and Colon were putrid, I'll agree. Let's keep our fingers crossed that they regroup. Yeah, HOPE!

Comment

• dominik
                      • Oct 2008

well your season started much better than the sox season.

the offense is going well,I said before that you don't need to panick.
                      I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

• TonyStarks
                        Yankee Forum Janitor
                        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by SD Bomber Fan View Post
                        Yeah I also don't get why or how it is that Hughes can quickly get a batter to 2 strikes but just not be able to put him away consistently.
                        Keep in mind that currently his fastball is sitting at 90MPH and not his normal 93 to 95 MPH. Not sure what's cause that but hopefully a few more starts and we'll see an uptick in his velocity.
                        Last edited by TonyStarks; 04-04-2011, 07:04 AM.
                        "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• Domenic
                          • Sep 2008

Hughes' velocity was down a tick at the end of 2010, including the playoffs, and it was in the mid to high 80s in Spring Training. With his location issues yesterday, I'm beginning to fear that there may be some underlying condition or injury. I'm hoping for the best, but we all know how volatile a pitcher's arm can be...

Comment

• quagmire
                            • Jan 2010

Every time it seems like, Cano will always chase a ball high in the zone for strike 3. When will Cano learn to lay off that high pitch out of the zone?

Dang. Posada is on fire.
                            Last edited by quagmire; 04-04-2011, 04:40 PM.

Comment

• The Korean
                              No more losing streak
                              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
                              Hughes was not good, but so far not many pitchers have been. Take a look at the Red Sox vaunted staff. Let's wait until a few more games are in before passing judgement.
                              Yea, Hughes has a track record, we know he can be good, he most likely just had a bad game. Colon on the other hand.... But to be fair he did seem more stable after giving up all those runs.

If Nova does well today I am more and more convinced he can be a permanent part of our rotation.

Russell Martin, if he does 2/3 as well as he hit the last 4 games over the course of the season, its a tremendous signing.

Comment

• NJYankeeFan
                                • Dec 2008

He pitched a lot of innings last year. Not saying he won't get it back bit it is to be considered.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X