Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The Season: 2011

Quote Originally Posted by lhslancers View Post
    Red Sox were the preseason fav and will win the division at least WC. Yanks no chance.
    I think the Sox will win the division and we'll get the WC, but it's hard to tell this early in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack View Post
    I think the Sox will win the division and we'll get the WC, but it's hard to tell this early in the season.
    THe Sox have a good team but so do the Yanks, Rays and Jays.

THe Rays won the division last year, lead it now and get no respect. Kind of curious.

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack View Post

BTW, are you the same Quagmire that's on the MacRumors forums? He's a Yankees fan, too, so I just thought you might be the same guy. lol
    Yep, I am the same quag.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PVNICK View Post
    Is there anyone in the pipeline?
    There's Eduardo Nunez, who can hit and field, has a strong arm but he has accuracy issues.
    I actually like Nunez and think he could be a decent SS who could hit given the chance.

Then there's Cito Culver who looks promising but is just too far away to tell us if he's the heir. I can see the Yanks pulling off a trade for a SS or bringing one in via Free Agency in 2013 if Jeter keeps at this pace.

Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    How does Robertson do it? Constantly gets put into bases loaded situations with none or one out and just shuts them down? Sure he fails too( even Mo does), but jeez. Maybe he should be our future closer instead of Soriano......
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Blog Entries
    Good observation by RAB:

Yanks having problems scoring runs?

Teixiera has come to the plate with NO RUNNERS in in 62% of his ABs.
    ARod has come to the plate with NO RUNNERS in in 52% of his ABs.

Derek Jeter = .309 OBP (133rd out of 192 qualified players)
    The guy getting the most ABs is making the most outs on this team.
    During the 6 game losing streak, Jeter's OBP you ask? Try .200.

Maybe that's the problem?
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Yep, I am the same quag.
    Dude, that's awesome. I don't really post over there that much anymore and I can't believe I didn't recognize your name earlier on in this thread. lol

As for what happened earlier, MAN! I didn't get to watch the game in full, 'cause I was at the hospital with my Mom (she's fine) and I got home and turned the game on my iPod (Thank God for MLB.tv) and Barolo was in the midst of absolute domination in the 8th. He struck out the last batter swinging and I thought "Man, with only 87 pitches, he could get a CG Shutout." Well, that doesn't seem to happen often with Girardi at the helm. I just had a bad feeling when Mo came in the game. And sure enough, look what happened. I mean, it's baseball and anything can happen. Mo's usually dominating and that would seem like the logical move to go ahead and bring in your closer for the final 3 outs, but c'mon, Bartolo was dominating. I think Girardi should have at least let him face one batter in the 9th and if he couldn't get it done, then bring in Mo. I actually got more pissed at a baseball game than I have in a long time. I was so pulling for Bartolo. Everybody had basically counted him out and here he is being a dominant pitcher again and actually starting out better than his Cy Young season in '05. I just REALLY wanted him to get the win.

Glad we won, but I think that was a bad decision from Joe. I really like him as a person and I think he gets it right sometimes, but I really think he should have just let Bartolo attempt to finish what he started.

Sorry for the rant, but that just irked me A LOT.

At least we DID win the game, but we burned up the whole bullpen and bench in the process. I mean, hell, how many times are you gonna see AJ Burnett come in to pinch-run? LOL

It can never be the problem. We need Nunez in there. This is ridiculous.

Looking over the Yankees current pitching situation, as well as the looming opt-out of CC Sabathia, I can't help but remember when Cashman pulled the plug on the Dan Haren deal last summer. For those of who don't recall, the proposed deal was Chamberlain, Nova, and Zach McAllister (dealt for Austin Kearns) for Haren and a low-level prospect.

It was a terrible non-deal at the time, as Haren could have put the Yankees over the top at that juncture ... and it looks even worse now.

Quote Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
    Looking over the Yankees current pitching situation, as well as the looming opt-out of CC Sabathia, I can't help but remember when Cashman pulled the plug on the Dan Haren deal last summer. For those of who don't recall, the proposed deal was Chamberlain, Nova, and Zach McAllister (dealt for Austin Kearns) for Haren and a low-level prospect.

It was a terrible non-deal at the time, as Haren could have put the Yankees over the top at that juncture ... and it looks even worse now.
    I agree. It is amazing that the Yanks could have had such a high opinion of Joba then and such a low opinion of him now.

What happened in the mean time???

I agree. It is amazing that the Yanks could have had such a high opinion of Joba then and such a low opinion of him now.

Quote Originally Posted by NJYankeeFan View Post

I really have no idea. I'm also of the mindset that Chamberlain's fate was sealed by Hughes winning the fifth spot in the rotation last season ... which either means that Cashman had no faith in Haren's ability to transition to the AL (which is laughable) or that he was fairly high on Nova and McAllister (who was, again, dealt for Austin Kearns). Really, I just can't find a logical reason for passing on the trade - barring some fear of taking on salary, but Haren only makes a bit more than Rafael Soriano.

I really have no idea. I'm also of the mindset that Chamberlain's fate was sealed by Hughes winning the fifth spot in the rotation last season ... which either means that Cashman had no faith in Haren's ability to transition to the AL (which is laughable) or that he was fairly high on Nova and McAllister (who was, again, dealt for Austin Kearns). Really, I just can't find a logical reason for passing on the trade - barring some fear of taking on salary, but Haren only makes a bit more than Rafael Soriano.
    It does not add up.

He dealt McAllister for Kearns. IOW - Negligible value. Could have signed Kearns over that winter.
    He left Nova unprotected. IOW - Negligible value.
    Joba is being completely wasted as the "7th Inning Guy". Negligible value.

He either lost faith in Joba real quick or got high on Nova (or something else) real quick.
    Whichever, it is a very poor decision on his part.

I got a feeling that CC ain't coming back next year. Colon is lights out now. Guy was throwing 97 in the 8th granted only 80 pitches but at the moment he's the best starter on the team.

Blog Entries
    Thoughts from Robi Cano last night:
    “I just told Kevin [Long] I’m just going to keep swinging. I’m not going to take pitches or anything like that … I’m just going to go up there and do my thing.”
    Cano's swung 1st pitch in 22.5% of his ABs. Last year that number was 15.5%

His aggressiveness this season could be why he's currently under .300 and has so few walks. I'm not too worried since Cano is typically a better player in the 2nd half.
    It is a bit frustrating though to see him go up there with no patience.

Why wont CC come back, he may opt out but only one who can pay him are the Yankees.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Korean View Post
    Why wont CC come back, he may opt out but only one who can pay him are the Yankees.
    Angels, maybe Dodgers, will be players. Then there's always Boston to drive up the price.

Quote Originally Posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
    It does not add up.

He dealt McAllister for Kearns. IOW - Negligible value. Could have signed Kearns over that winter.
    He left Nova unprotected. IOW - Negligible value.
    Joba is being completely wasted as the "7th Inning Guy". Negligible value.

He either lost faith in Joba real quick or got high on Nova (or something else) real quick.
    Whichever, it is a very poor decision on his part.
    Either he didn't have faith in Haren to make the transition, or the Steinbrenners were hesitant to take on another eight-figure starting pitcher with the expectation that Lee would be on-board by the time the new year rolled around. Some combination of the two works, as well.

If it truly had to do with wanting to hold onto those three, then Cashman is a very poor evaluator of talent.

That's the same thing that many said this past offseason with respect to Cliff Lee - that didn't work out well for the Yankees, did it?

The Rangers will be looking for an ace, the Angels were interested in Sabathia last time around (and were linked to Lee a bit), and a few other teams have money coming off of the books. Just because the Yankees have the most money doesn't mean that they have the best shot at signing him.

Last night, the O's pitcher who hit Dickerson was immediately ejected. Why did this not also happen with Nate Adcock when he hit Cano last week? Is it up to the individual umpire?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    Last night, the O's pitcher who hit Dickerson was immediately ejected. Why did this not also happen with Nate Adcock when he hit Cano last week? Is it up to the individual umpire?
    Because the Ump who ejected the pitcher who hit Dickerson has a fast trigger. He shouldn't have been ejected because it wasn't intentional( why would he want to hit Dickerson?).....

Either he didn't have faith in Haren to make the transition, or the Steinbrenners were hesitant to take on another eight-figure starting pitcher with the expectation that Lee would be on-board by the time the new year rolled around. Some combination of the two works, as well.

If it truly had to do with wanting to hold onto those three, then Cashman is a very poor evaluator of talent.

That's the same thing that many said this past offseason with respect to Cliff Lee - that didn't work out well for the Yankees, did it?

The Rangers will be looking for an ace, the Angels were interested in Sabathia last time around (and were linked to Lee a bit), and a few other teams have money coming off of the books. Just because the Yankees have the most money doesn't mean that they have the best shot at signing him.
    CC isnt Cliff Lee. His wife if he has one, never said she hated New York. Theres nothing in his personal life that would prevent him from coming back. Cliff Lee comparison is just ridiculous.

Besides CC won a ring here. And knows Yankees can bring in best players available.

He shouldn't have been ejected because it wasn't intentional( why would he want to hit Dickerson?).....
    Maybe he was just being a DUCK? Sometimes things happen for no reason at all. Or perhaps 'Gonzo' was just upset at the O's losing the lead?
    Last edited by TonyStarks; 05-20-2011 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Dude...language! Choose another adjective next time!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

CC isnt Cliff Lee. His wife if he has one, never said she hated New York. Theres nothing in his personal life that would prevent him from coming back. Cliff Lee comparison is just ridiculous.

Besides CC won a ring here. And knows Yankees can bring in best players available.
    I think the treatment of Jeter and Posada will turn CC off when it comes time to decide. The Yankees are an old team. He has other options and the fact he has a clause like that is enough to make you think he won't return.

He doesnt have another option if he wants money and he will. CC is still in his prime. Jeter treatment? You mean earning more money than you possibly deserve? CC would love to get Jeter treatment when hes 36 or 37.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SD Bomber Fan View Post
    I guess CC didn't have his "stuff" again tonight - not that it matters with the way the lineup is performing. I can't wait to hear the YES commentators talk about how shocked they are to see CC have a game like this. Unfortunately, CC not having his stuff is becoming more the norm than an occasional lapse.
    Did CC pitch well enough for you tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    Did CC pitch well enough for you tonight?
    He almost always has his stuff when pithcing against the O's. lol

Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast