Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Season Thread 2011 Mariners

Quote Originally Posted by Edgartohof View Post
    Hey Seattle, with the win today and the Rangers Losing, we are only like 4.5 games behind. I'm not kidding myself into thinking we could win the division, but it would be nice to stay close for as long as possible.
    Game # 27, April 29th, 4:10 SEA @ BOS, TV: Root, Radio: KIRO 710, Jason Vargas vs Daisuke Matsuzaka
    Game # 28 April 30th, 4:10 SEA @ BOS, TV: Root & MLB Network, Radio: KIRO 710, Doug Fister vs John Lackey
    Game # 29th May 1st, 10:35 SEA @ BOS, TV: Root, Radio: KIRO 710, Felix Hernandez vs Clay Buchholz

Seattle is guaranteed a five hundred road trip

Quote Originally Posted by SABR Brat View Post
    Seattle is guaranteed a five hundred road trip
    And with Felix pitching at the end, we could even come away 4-6!

4 in a row! I know I shouldn't be THIS excited over this but I am!

The Mariner's beat the Red Sox 5-4 for their 4th consecutive win of the season.

Ichiro and Figgins each had 2 hits and 2 runs each. Bradley was 0-5 (with 2 SO). Olivo, Smoak and Cust each added a hit and an RBI (2 for Smoak). The bottom 4 all went hitless, though Saunders had 2 walks.

Figgins is now hitting .204, having hit .412 the last 4 games.

The Mariner's now hold a 12-15 record, having won 6 of the last 8!
    Last edited by Edgartohof; 04-29-2011 at 08:40 PM.

5 in a row!

The Mariner's take game 2 from Boston, assuring their second series win in a row. They won 2-0 and Fister improves his record to 2-3 and loweres his ERA to 2.70 (from 3.19). He has now only given up 3 runs in his last 3 games combined!

Ichiro and Figgins each had 2 hits (Ichiro also added 2 BB's and 2SB's) and Ichiro scored 1 of the 2 runs for the M's. Cust also had a hit and 2 walks and scored the 2nd of the Mariner's runs. Not the best offensive showing by this lineup but the pitching was outstanding. Fister pitched 5 2/3 scoreless innings and Pauley came in for 2 1/3 frames, giving up only 1 hit and 1 BB; his ERA now sits at 1.80. Brandon League came in and completed his 7th Save of the season and the M's came away with another great victory!

Figgins had another 2 hit night, his 4th in a row, all apart of his current 5 game hit streak. He has raised his BA to .214 over the past 12 games, up from .143 on April 18th. He is hitting .409 the past 5 games. Hoping he keeps it up.

Texas:

Game # 30, May 3rd, 7:10 TEX @ SEA, TV: Root, Radio: KIRO 710, Alexi Ogando vs Erik Bedard
    Game # 31, May 4th, 7:10 TEX @ SEA, TV: Root, Radio: KIRO 710, C.J. Wilson vs Michael Pineda
    Game # 32, May 5th 7:10 TEX @ SEA, TV: Root, Radio: KIRO 710, Colby Lewis vs Jason Vargas

Went to my 2nd Mariner's game of the season and was gifted with another win!

The M's won tonight 4-3 over the Texas Rangers.

Bedard was a bit wild in the 1st inning giving up a run on 30+ pitches. He slowly settle down and carried a no hitter into the 6th inning and ended up going 7 innings, giving up 2 runs. The big hitter of the game was none other than Justin Smoak who went 3-4 with a double and 2 RBI.

This is a good start to their home stand! They have 7 wins out of their last 10 games. The rest of the division teams lost tonight, so we picked up a game on them, just one step closer!

Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone! The M's take the game and the series vs. Texas as they win tonight 3-1.

Vargas pitched masterfully, going 7 2/3 innings, giving up the only run all on 6 hits, 2 walks and 98 pitches. Wright came in to finish the 8th and League came in and kept his streak alive! League now has 9 saves on the season, all without a blown save!

Vargas lowered his season ERA to 4.68, down from 5.48, nearly a full point!

Smoak hit a big HR to right field, his 5th of the season and almost hit another when he launched it to CF where it hit high off the wall for a double. He ended the day 3-4 with a run and an RBI. He is now hitting .315 on the season and now has 20 RBI. Ichiro had 2 hits tonight, his 15th multi-hit game of the season (league leading I might add).

Luis Rodriguez got the start at 3B tonight and hit in the #2 hole. He went 1-4 with an RBI.

Colby Lewis, the starter for Texas went the full game, giving up 3 runs over 8 innings with 11 SO! But he gets the loss none the less. He is now 2-4 on the season while Vargas improves to 2-2, his 2nd consecutive win!

The Mariner's now have a record of 15-17, keeping themselves in the race. The AL West is clearly the tightest race in this early season with every other Division having a much wider gap between the top and the bottom. The M's are at the bottom, yet only 3 games from the top.

That definitely makes for a more interesting season.

Before todays games, the AL East leading Yankess were at 17-11, 2 games over the2nd place Rays and 4 games over the Blue Jays.

In the Central, Cleveland was on top at 20-9, 4.5 games over #2 Kansas City and 10.5 games over Chicago at the bottom.

It is pretty much the same picture in the National League.

So, would I be alone in my thoughts that Justin Smoak should be batting in the #4 hole and not in the #5 hole? Right now, they have removed Cust from there (good move, though now he is hitting a little better . . .) and replaced him with Miguel Olivo.

Now, in the last 10 games, he is hitting .286, but in his last 6, only .136. And let's be honest, Olivo is not the guy you really want in the cleanup spot. Sure, he had a few good games, but overall, I want an actual good hitter there.

Smoak is clearly the best hitter on the team. And the only real power threat (HR and doubles). If he was batting #4, he would have more opportunities to be at bat with Ichiro and Figgins on with fewer than 2 outs. And since he is our main run producer, why not put him in the spot where he can best push in some runs?

Smoak is hitting .315, Olivo is hitting .208.

Smoak is hitting .333/.395/.641 in his last 10 games with 4 HR and 14 RBI! This is who needs to be in the Cleanup Spot, the one guy on the team who can rake!

Am I wrong in this?

As a counter argument, there is the thought that maybe they do not want to put undue pressure on him to perform and putting him in the cleanup role might mess with his mind. But I do not think it would do that. He clearly has shown that he can handle big league pitching and handle it with a lot of stress in his life (i.e. the passing of his father). He can handle the pressure and handle it well. Moving him up a spot in the order shouldn't put much more expectation on him, we would just look for him to continue what he is doing now. We don't expect him to hit .333 with a HR every other day (though that would be nice), we would just like a solid consistent hitter there to help improve our offensive output.

What are your thoughts everyone?

So, would I be alone in my thoughts that Justin Smoak should be batting in the #4 hole and not in the #5 hole? Right now, they have removed Cust from there (good move, though now he is hitting a little better . . .) and replaced him with Miguel Olivo.

Now, in the last 10 games, he is hitting .286, but in his last 6, only .136. And let's be honest, Olivo is not the guy you really want in the cleanup spot. Sure, he had a few good games, but overall, I want an actual good hitter there.

Smoak is clearly the best hitter on the team. And the only real power threat (HR and doubles). If he was batting #4, he would have more opportunities to be at bat with Ichiro and Figgins on with fewer than 2 outs. And since he is our main run producer, why not put him in the spot where he can best push in some runs?

Smoak is hitting .315, Olivo is hitting .208.

Smoak is hitting .333/.395/.641 in his last 10 games with 4 HR and 14 RBI! This is who needs to be in the Cleanup Spot, the one guy on the team who can rake!

Am I wrong in this?

As a counter argument, there is the thought that maybe they do not want to put undue pressure on him to perform and putting him in the cleanup role might mess with his mind. But I do not think it would do that. He clearly has shown that he can handle big league pitching and handle it with a lot of stress in his life (i.e. the passing of his father). He can handle the pressure and handle it well. Moving him up a spot in the order shouldn't put much more expectation on him, we would just look for him to continue what he is doing now. We don't expect him to hit .333 with a HR every other day (though that would be nice), we would just like a solid consistent hitter there to help improve our offensive output.

What are your thoughts everyone?
    I see what ya saying. Move him up to three or four and more chances of having runners on base and more at bats during the season. Cust has some nice hits since moving into the six. Is Cust figuring it out or is it because he is behind Smoak in the order ? Olivo swings at everything and is not a prototypical four hitter, yet he puts the ball in play. Wednesday he had two runs batted in without a hit. I like the Rodriguez. He's doing a good job with only playing two times per week. More questions will come when Franklin and Dustin come up. Where do you put Dustin in the lineup ? Start him in the ninth position to take the pressure off ? Hitting in front of Suzuki ? See some nice pitches ?
    Last edited by SABR Brat; 05-06-2011 at 09:24 AM. Reason: add sentence

White Sox:

Game # 33, May 6th 7:10 CHI @ SEA, TV: Root, Radio: KIRO 710, Philip Humber vs Felix Hernandez
    Game # 34, May 7th 6:10 CHI @ SEA, TV: Root, WGN, Radio: KIRO 710, Gavin Floyd vs Doug Fister
    Game # 35, May 8th 1:10 CHI @ SEA, TV: Root, Radio: KIRO 710, Mark Buehrle vs Erik Bedard

8-2 now for the M's!

Brendan Ryan got the game winning single in the bottom of the 9th inning!

Felix goes for the full 9 innings for the CG win, his 4th win of the season!

Felix goes 9 innings, 5 hits, 2 BB's, 2 runs (both earned) and 6 Strikeouts on only 109 pitches, lowering his ERA to 3.02 in the process.

Ichiro went hitless but was walked and scored a run. Figgins was 1-4 with a BB and a SB.

Bradley hit a double, knocked in a run and scored a run. Olivo was 0-4 on the night and Smoak hit a deep double (very similar to one hit last night, deep center field). Again, I just wonder why Smoak isn't in the #4 hole, tonight, he would have have a couple extra chances to bat with runners on . . . maybe management will figure it out. But probably not when they are winning. They figure that if this is working, why fix it. But I say, make the switch and you will see an improvement!

Ryan at the bottom of the order hit a double in the game and later got the game winner in the 9th!

This was career win #75 for Felix Hernandez! Congrats!

Smoak is hitting .533/.563/1.133 the last 4 games with 8 hits, 3 doubles, 1 HR and 4 RBI.

He is currently hitting .315/.413/.576 on the season with 9 doubles, 5 HR and 21 RBI
    Last edited by Edgartohof; 05-06-2011 at 10:56 PM.

Thumbs up Smoak on the water

Smoak is hitting .533/.563/1.133 the last 4 games with 8 hits, 3 doubles, 1 HR and 4 RBI.

He is currently hitting .315/.413/.576 on the season with 9 doubles, 5 HR and 21 RBI
    He leads the team in HR, RBI's, and average dispite going on the bereavement list for almost a week.

Doug Fister, our 6'8'' Right hander is about to take the mound for the 2nd game of the series against the Chicago White Sox.

Fister has a 2.70 ERA for the season but only a 1.50 ERA over his last 3 starts, so let's hope he can continue to build on that!

If the M's win tonight, they will be back up to .500 on the season, 17-17!
    Last edited by Edgartohof; 05-07-2011 at 07:16 PM.

O's

Game # 36, May 10th 4:05 SEA @ BAL, TV: Root, Radio: KIRO 710, Pineda vs Jake Arrieta
    Game # 37, May 11th, 4:05 SEA @ BAL, TV: Root, Radio: KIRO 710, Felix Hernandez vs Chris Tillman
    GAme # 38, May 12th, 4:05 SEA @ BAL, TV: Root, Radio: KIRO 710, Jason Vargas vs Zach Britton

So, would I be alone in my thoughts that Justin Smoak should be batting in the #4 hole and not in the #5 hole?
    In the #3 tonight

Tommy Johns for David Aardsma

The M's are in the bottom of the 12th inning at the moment, the 2nd time they have been there this series. They had a 0-0 tie going into the top of the 12th but the Mariner's took a 1-0 lead when Ichiro scored (after getting his 50th hit of the season).

And now that I look at it, League is doing a good job at trying to give it away. He has loaded the bases with no outs . . .

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast