Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Season Thread 2011 Mariners

There is an article on mlb.com saying that Ackley will be joining the M's come Friday!!! I am very excited. Ackley at 2B, Kennedy at 1st, Figgins . . . the bench.

I saw that too. Been looking forward to this for a while, especially after that Spring he had. At the very least, he'll be a much needed attempt to kick start the bats.
    Greystones Mariners Baseball Club. The oldest baseball club in Ireland. 16 years and still going strong.

www.greystonesbaseball.org

Quote Originally Posted by Padday View Post
    I saw that too. Been looking forward to this for a while, especially after that Spring he had. At the very least, he'll be a much needed attempt to kick start the bats.
    Yeah, maybe he will have a Halman-esque start (batting .409 over 9 games so far! Go Greg!), something that would be much appreciated.

We are in a spot that no one thought we would be in this year. The Rangers lost tonight, so we are now I believe, only 1.5 games out of 1st place! If we could have some luck, meaning we win the series and the Rangers continue to slide a little, we could at least for a short while, be at the top of the divisional ladder!
    Last edited by Edgartohof; 06-16-2011 at 10:52 PM.

Well, the M's derailed the Phillies at least for 1 night!

Ackley made his debut last night as well, even recording his first hit in his first AB. From the #7 hole, he had a 2 out single to CF(?) in the 2nd. That was his only hit for the night but he also made some nice defensive plays, nothing too flashy, just good, solid defense.

Ichiro was a spark from the top of the order, going 3-4 with a double and scored 3 of the M's 4 runs.

But clearly, the star of the show was Pineda. He took a no-hitter into the 6th inning. And despite a little struggle in the 6th (bases loaded), he got away with only 1 run against him. He went 6 strong innings, giving up only 2 hits, 1 ER and 3 BB's along with 5 SO, to earn his 7th win of the season! Laffey came in for 2 innings, giving up a solo-HR to Victorino in the 8th. Then League came in and recorded his League leading 20th save!

So as of now, the M's sit 2 games over .500 (36-34) and only 0.5 games back of the Texas Rangers.

Felix pitches tonight, so I am excited for an encore presentation!

Complete game Shutout by Vargas! Gave up only 3 hits and 2 BB's as he goes the distance for the win!

Ichiro recorded 2 more hits to move to an 8 game hit streak (16 hits in that time frame). Ackley got his 3rd hit of his career, his first Triple! Him and Ich scored the only 2 runs of the game, but that was all that was needed to win the series against the Phillies.

at Washington Nationals:

6/21 @ 4:05, Doug Fister vs Livan Hernandez
    6/22 @ 4:05, Erik Bedard vs John Lannan
    6/23 @ 10:05, Michael Pineda vs Jason Marquis

Anyone else wishing they could be cryogenically frozen after tonight's stab in the back (and chest, arms, legs and neck)?
    Now I know how it feels to be a Giants fan at Dodger Stadium.

We were leading 5-1 going into the 9th inning. Fister went 8 beautiful innings with only 3 hits, 1 BB and 1 ER on only 99 pitches. And yet they didn't let him start the 9th. And that was our down fall. League gave up 3 runs and Pauley gave up 2 to throw the game away.

Kyle Seager promoted to Tacoma !

http://firstinning.com/players/Kyle-Seager-a/

Cool Florida Marlins

Friday, June 24th, SEA road team, FLO home team, 7:10
    Saturday, June 25th, SEA road team, FLO home team, 7:10
    Sunday, June 26th, SEA road team, FLO home team, 7:10

The mariners will wear the home whites even though they are the road team. Florida to wear the greys. florida didn't want to pack home and road gear. Florida will hit last and the pitcher will hit. all games at safeco field.

I have on my schedule all games listed as 7:10 local time starts.

Quote Originally Posted by SABR Brat View Post
    Friday, June 24th, SEA road team, FLO home team, 7:10
    Saturday, June 25th, SEA road team, FLO home team, 7:10
    Sunday, June 26th, SEA road team, FLO home team, 7:10

The mariners will wear the home whites even though they are the road team. Florida to wear the greys. florida didn't want to pack home and road gear. Florida will hit last and the pitcher will hit. all games at safeco field.

I have on my schedule all games listed as 7:10 local time starts.
    Why is FLA the home team on the road in this situation?
    WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Quote Originally Posted by Zito75 View Post
    Why is FLA the home team on the road in this situation?
    Scheduling confilict at their stadium in Florida (U2 Concert).

We needed Felix to be our stopper and that is what he was. Our ace came through for us last night as we take the first game from Florida.

It was quite a pitching duel through the first 6 innings. The first hit of the game came from Felix Hernandez in the 3rd inning. The first run of the game though was against Felix. Hanley Ramirez lead off the 4th inning with a single. He reached 2nd, stole 3rd on a Strikeout and scored on a Wild Pitch from Felix. But our ace tightened down and was able to shut them down the rest of the way. He ended up going 8 innings with only the 1 run against him. He gave up only 2 hits and 2 walks with 10 strikeouts!

The Mariners did not score until the 7th inning when they got 3 runs off the starter Nolasco. They followed that up with 2 more runs in the top of the 9th (a 2-run HR by Olivo). Ackley recorded his first hitless game but had 2 walks and 2 runs to make up for it. Olivo was the man of the night (aside from Felix); he went 1-4 but scored twice and had 3 RBI! Guttierrez was 2-4 with 2 RBI as well.

So Felix improved to 8-6 on the season and the M's are back to .500 ball (38-38).

Quote Originally Posted by Edgartohof View Post
    Scheduling confilict at their stadium in Florida (U2 Concert).
    That sucks - then again at $200 per ticket + Bono's ego, something has to give way there...
    WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Quote Originally Posted by Zito75 View Post
    That sucks - then again at $200 per ticket + Bono's ego, something has to give way there...
    They probably determined that they would pull in more revenue from a 1 night Bono concert than a 3 game series with the Mariners in town Sad but probably true.

Game #2 is about to begin. It showcases Volstad (2-7, 5.65) against Vargas (5-4, 3.75).

Volstat has struggled the whole year, though his last start was his best of the season (1 ER over 7 IP). But Vargas himself is coming off a 9 inning, 3 hit win.

Looking forward to the game!

Marlins/Nationals

It's been weird and wacky the past two series. Swept by the Nats in which Riggleman resigned after winning 9 of 10.

The Marlins, the prime tenant at their stadium, get bumped for u2. I reported that the marlins would be in grey (I read it somewhere) but actually the M's were in their greys. Florida picked up the gate minus the cost of the M's operating expense. With Felix pitching the m's drew 15, 000 on a friday night

I did not see the totals for Sunday night but following a soccer game in which the sounders are drawing nice crowds, I can imagine.

Atlanta Braves

monday, 7:10, Brandon Beachy vs Erik Bedard
    tuesday, 7:10, Tommy Hanson vs Michael Pineda
    wednesday, 12:40, Derek Lowe vs Felix Hernandez

Well, Ackley has certainly not disappointed us yet. Last night he had his best night yet in the Big Leagues!

He goes 3-5 with a double a triple and scored the winning run in the 10th inning!

In his short stint with the club, he has already done quite a bit, lots of firsts for him. About the only ones he hasn't had yet are a SB (or a CS), a HBP, or a sacrifice.

Fister was phenomenal last night as well, going 8 innings, giving up 8 hits and no walks with 3 SO. He did not give up a run until the 8th inning. That is now 2 starts in a row for Fister going at least 8 innings and only giving up 1 Run. He has shown himself to be a decent bit of a workhorse. He has pitched 110 innings so far this season, on pace for around 220.

Oh, and did I mention that Fister got the first hit and scored the first run of the game? In the 5th inning, Fister doubled off of Starter Anibal Sanchez, moved over by Ichiro and eventually knocked in by Ryan! Our pitchers this year in limited time have come up with several key hits!

Felix started strong but got punished and we lost.

Only good sign lately has been Ackley.

Olivo left the game early last night due to cramping in his legs (?), Chris Gimenez is on the 15 day DL due to a strained Oblique he had before the game (so bad that he couldn't swing, which is why he was bunting yesterday). And Bedard is on the DL as well for his knee.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast