Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Season Thread 2011 Mariners

at Washington Nationals:

6/21 @ 4:05, Doug Fister vs Livan Hernandez
    6/22 @ 4:05, Erik Bedard vs John Lannan
    6/23 @ 10:05, Michael Pineda vs Jason Marquis

Anyone else wishing they could be cryogenically frozen after tonight's stab in the back (and chest, arms, legs and neck)?
    Now I know how it feels to be a Giants fan at Dodger Stadium.

We were leading 5-1 going into the 9th inning. Fister went 8 beautiful innings with only 3 hits, 1 BB and 1 ER on only 99 pitches. And yet they didn't let him start the 9th. And that was our down fall. League gave up 3 runs and Pauley gave up 2 to throw the game away.

Kyle Seager promoted to Tacoma !

http://firstinning.com/players/Kyle-Seager-a/

Cool Florida Marlins

Friday, June 24th, SEA road team, FLO home team, 7:10
    Saturday, June 25th, SEA road team, FLO home team, 7:10
    Sunday, June 26th, SEA road team, FLO home team, 7:10

The mariners will wear the home whites even though they are the road team. Florida to wear the greys. florida didn't want to pack home and road gear. Florida will hit last and the pitcher will hit. all games at safeco field.

I have on my schedule all games listed as 7:10 local time starts.

Quote Originally Posted by SABR Brat View Post
    Friday, June 24th, SEA road team, FLO home team, 7:10
    Saturday, June 25th, SEA road team, FLO home team, 7:10
    Sunday, June 26th, SEA road team, FLO home team, 7:10

The mariners will wear the home whites even though they are the road team. Florida to wear the greys. florida didn't want to pack home and road gear. Florida will hit last and the pitcher will hit. all games at safeco field.

I have on my schedule all games listed as 7:10 local time starts.
    Why is FLA the home team on the road in this situation?
    WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Quote Originally Posted by Zito75 View Post
    Why is FLA the home team on the road in this situation?
    Scheduling confilict at their stadium in Florida (U2 Concert).

We needed Felix to be our stopper and that is what he was. Our ace came through for us last night as we take the first game from Florida.

It was quite a pitching duel through the first 6 innings. The first hit of the game came from Felix Hernandez in the 3rd inning. The first run of the game though was against Felix. Hanley Ramirez lead off the 4th inning with a single. He reached 2nd, stole 3rd on a Strikeout and scored on a Wild Pitch from Felix. But our ace tightened down and was able to shut them down the rest of the way. He ended up going 8 innings with only the 1 run against him. He gave up only 2 hits and 2 walks with 10 strikeouts!

The Mariners did not score until the 7th inning when they got 3 runs off the starter Nolasco. They followed that up with 2 more runs in the top of the 9th (a 2-run HR by Olivo). Ackley recorded his first hitless game but had 2 walks and 2 runs to make up for it. Olivo was the man of the night (aside from Felix); he went 1-4 but scored twice and had 3 RBI! Guttierrez was 2-4 with 2 RBI as well.

So Felix improved to 8-6 on the season and the M's are back to .500 ball (38-38).

Quote Originally Posted by Edgartohof View Post
    Scheduling confilict at their stadium in Florida (U2 Concert).
    That sucks - then again at $200 per ticket + Bono's ego, something has to give way there...
    WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Quote Originally Posted by Zito75 View Post
    That sucks - then again at $200 per ticket + Bono's ego, something has to give way there...
    They probably determined that they would pull in more revenue from a 1 night Bono concert than a 3 game series with the Mariners in town Sad but probably true.

Game #2 is about to begin. It showcases Volstad (2-7, 5.65) against Vargas (5-4, 3.75).

Volstat has struggled the whole year, though his last start was his best of the season (1 ER over 7 IP). But Vargas himself is coming off a 9 inning, 3 hit win.

Looking forward to the game!

Marlins/Nationals

It's been weird and wacky the past two series. Swept by the Nats in which Riggleman resigned after winning 9 of 10.

The Marlins, the prime tenant at their stadium, get bumped for u2. I reported that the marlins would be in grey (I read it somewhere) but actually the M's were in their greys. Florida picked up the gate minus the cost of the M's operating expense. With Felix pitching the m's drew 15, 000 on a friday night

I did not see the totals for Sunday night but following a soccer game in which the sounders are drawing nice crowds, I can imagine.

Atlanta Braves

monday, 7:10, Brandon Beachy vs Erik Bedard
    tuesday, 7:10, Tommy Hanson vs Michael Pineda
    wednesday, 12:40, Derek Lowe vs Felix Hernandez

Well, Ackley has certainly not disappointed us yet. Last night he had his best night yet in the Big Leagues!

He goes 3-5 with a double a triple and scored the winning run in the 10th inning!

In his short stint with the club, he has already done quite a bit, lots of firsts for him. About the only ones he hasn't had yet are a SB (or a CS), a HBP, or a sacrifice.

Fister was phenomenal last night as well, going 8 innings, giving up 8 hits and no walks with 3 SO. He did not give up a run until the 8th inning. That is now 2 starts in a row for Fister going at least 8 innings and only giving up 1 Run. He has shown himself to be a decent bit of a workhorse. He has pitched 110 innings so far this season, on pace for around 220.

Oh, and did I mention that Fister got the first hit and scored the first run of the game? In the 5th inning, Fister doubled off of Starter Anibal Sanchez, moved over by Ichiro and eventually knocked in by Ryan! Our pitchers this year in limited time have come up with several key hits!

Felix started strong but got punished and we lost.

Only good sign lately has been Ackley.

Olivo left the game early last night due to cramping in his legs (?), Chris Gimenez is on the 15 day DL due to a strained Oblique he had before the game (so bad that he couldn't swing, which is why he was bunting yesterday). And Bedard is on the DL as well for his knee.

I have been very impressed with Ackley so far. I know it has only been a handful of games (12) but he has shown some amazing plate presence.

So far he is hitting: .300/378/.575 with 1 double, 2 triples, 2 HR, 7 Runs, 6 RBI, 1 SB, 5 BB's and only 5 SO.

so you want to be a catcher ?

1. catcher chris Gimenez went on the DL (to have MRI on strained oblique)

2.lefty starter erik bedard went on the DL (strained left knee, will miss two starts)

3. catcher Josh Bard called up from AAA tacoma (smashed toe)

4. catcher Jose Yepez: called up from AAA Tacoma

5. Edward Paredes: designated for assignment to clear room on the 40 man (m's have ten days to trade, release or outright (6'-0" 180 LB, lefty, 24 years old, in system since 2006, started out as a starter but the past few years mostly in the pen. 3-1, 7.71 in split time at Jackson and Tacoma.)

6. Chaz Roe: designated for assignment to clear room on the 40 man (m's have ten days to trade, release or outright (6'-5", 190 LB right hander, rockies 1st rounder in 2005, 0-5, 6.41 at tacoma in 2011. mostly a starter in the minors.

~ catcher miggy olivo (day to day, cramps in left leg)
    Last edited by SABR Brat; 06-30-2011 at 07:57 AM. Reason: edit

Padres

friday: vargas vs moseley
    saturday: fister vs luebke
    sunday: unknown (bedard's spot) vs latos

they are trying to keep pineda's innings down but with the day off today, they could throw him on sunday and he'll be in his regular five day spot. other choices could come from the bullpen, that is underworked from what the starters have been doing.
    Last edited by SABR Brat; 06-30-2011 at 08:01 AM. Reason: edit

Quote Originally Posted by Edgartohof View Post
    I have been very impressed with Ackley so far. I know it has only been a handful of games (12) but he has shown some amazing plate presence.

So far he is hitting: .300/378/.575 with 1 double, 2 triples, 2 HR, 7 Runs, 6 RBI, 1 SB, 5 BB's and only 5 SO.
    I love the way he goes foul line to foul line. good eye.

M's now have won 3 in a row and 4 of their last 5 games to get back to .500 (43-43 record).

Pineda pitched masterfully a couple nights ago and Felix goes 8 innings of 1 run ball. League blew the save last night but we came back and scored 2 in the top of the 10th inning to take the lead and Wright got the save (his 1st of the season)!

Ackley is still impressing. He went 2-3 last night with a BB, a SB and a HR (3rd of the season).

His hitting has been phenomenal and it doesn't look like a fluke, this seems to be the real him at the plate. He has a great eye, shows decent power, definitely a kid of the future, a possible MVP candidate some day, mark my word! And his defense, I don't know what they were thinking when they said he wasn't fully there. He may still have a few things to learn but his D has been just fine from what I have seen. He has made both some impressive plays but more importantly, he his mostly making the routine plays and making them look easy. He usually puts himself in decent position though that is an area that he can still grow in but will take time. As he learns hitters and the pitchers and such, he will just become a better and better defensive player.

I am also going to go on a limb and say this his upside sits somewhere near a Gold Glove version of Chase Utley! What do you think?

Seems like we're either too depressed to comment or it's just not worth stating... but the Mariners have now lost 12 games in a row!

On a positive note, Ichiro went 3-for-4 with a walk in the Mariners loss, and Olivo smacked the first Grand Slam of the season for the M's.
    Swing and a drive! This one is deep! This one is... over the fence and into the neighbor's yard!

Do any of you feel like you should've been born in a different part of the country? I'm starting to wish I was.
    I remember in '04 when I saw a baseball program where someone said it was child abuse raising your kid to be a Cubs fan.
    For the Mariners, it hasn't been any different. In this day of age, it seems like the only teams with destiny on their side are (mostly) teams who get the best TV ratings.

Losing streak is up to 16 games with the loss to the Yankees.

The M's haven't been struggling *too* much with the hitting the past week, cranking out 5, 6, 5, 4, 1, 8, and 3 runs over their past 7 games (a total of 32 runs, just over 4 per game).

Instead, their pitching has been the victims as of late, giving up 6, 11, 7, 7, 3, 12, and 10 runs over those same games - a total of 56 runs for an average of 8 runs per game.
    Swing and a drive! This one is deep! This one is... over the fence and into the neighbor's yard!

I have never been this sad about the Mariners and I have been a fan for a really long time.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast