X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dominik
    • Oct 2008

wow a win. Ichiro went 4-5 today.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

• Stumanji
      Leads league in optimism.
      • Aug 2006

Let's take a look at how bad our 2011 Seattle Mariners really are this season:

The Mariners rank 30th in each of the following: Runs (374), Hits (858), Total Bases (1259), RBI (364), Average (.228), On-Base Percentage (.290), Slugging Percentage (.335), and naturally, OPS (.625).

Mariners record for fewest runs scored by team: 426 (1981 Seattle Mariners)
      ---- The Mariners are on pace for 536 runs scored, which would be 3rd worst in franchise history, thanks to the 2nd Worst finish of last season (513 runs).

Mariners record for fewest HRs by a team leader: Tom Paciorek in 1980 and Russell Branyan in 2010 (15)*
      ---- Miguel Olivo is on pace for 20 homeruns
      *Branyan hit 15 HRs in 57 games for the M's after being acquired from Cleveland where he hit 10 HRs, giving him a season total of 25 HRs. However, had he not been acquired, the M's top finisher would have been Franklin Gutierrez with 12 HRs.

Mariners record for fewest RBI by a team leader: Franklin Gutierrez (64) in 2010
      ---- Miguel Olivo is on pace for 69 RBI.

Mariners record for fewest Runs by a team leader: Julio Cruz (57) in 1981
      ---- Ichiro Suzuki is on pace for 82 runs scored

On the upside, our pitching staff is historically great.
      ---- Runs Allowed franchise low (162 game season): 627 in 2001
      ---- Current Mariners pitching pace: 616.4 runs allowed
      Swing and a drive! This one is deep! This one is... over the fence and into the neighbor's yard!

Comment

• Stumanji
        • Aug 2006

M's take two of three from the Red Sox.

Game One - Mariners 4, Red Sox 6
        Smoak finally returns to the line-up... the is promptly placed on the 15-day DL. This time it's a broken nose, thanks to a bad hop when fielding a ground ball off the bat of Jarrod Saltalamacchia. M's get up early, 2-0, on a 2-RBI single from Mike Carp, but Blake Beaven ultimately gets the loss, giving up three homeruns (Ortiz, Reddick, Lowrie) to the Sox over 6.1 innings. The M's knock 11 hits in the loss.

Game Two - Mariners 5, Red Sox 4
        Mariners get all of their scoring out of the way in the bottom of the first. Ichiro homers on the first pitch from Beckett, Guti singles, Ackley doubles, Carp singles them in, Wells homers to left center (Carp scores). Felix goes 7 innings, giving up 4 earned runs on two 2-run homers (Pedroia and Ellsbury). Ichiro makes a nice play from RF on a Pedroia pop-out to double up Ellsbury at home - the real hero on that play is Bard who got destroyed by a sliding knee-to-the-face from Ellsbury and still hung on to the ball.

Game Three - Mariners 5, Red Sox 3
        Charlie Furbush goes 7 innings allowing 1 earned run on four hits with a career-high 6 k's. Willy Mo Pena gets his first hit as a Mariner (a double; line drive short-hop off the left field fence). Wells homers again (7; 3 as a Mariner) and Carp extends his hitting streak to 14 games.
        Swing and a drive! This one is deep! This one is... over the fence and into the neighbor's yard!

Comment

• Edgartohof
          • May 2004

Game 1 - Mariners 6, Blue Jays 5
          Pindeda was clearly not at his best, giving up 5 runs over 5 innings. But luckily he was backed by Wells who homered for the 3rd game in a row (his 4th as a Mariner and 8th on the season). And Carp continued to tear it up, hitting 2 HR, his first multi-HR game of his career! He, in doing so extended his Major League leading hitting streak to 15 games! Carp is now hitting .326/.382/.538/.920 on the season! The team put up a total of 11 hits in the game, including 2 hits by Jack Wilson and 3 more by Trayvon Robinson, including a double and an RBI!
          Last edited by Edgartohof; 08-16-2011, 06:17 AM.

Comment

• Edgartohof
            • May 2004

Game 2 - Mariners 7, Blue Jays 13
            An unfortunate loss as the M's offense continues to pick it up. Unfortunately this was not Vargas' night (nor Wilhelmsen's or Laffey's for that matter) Vargas gave up 8 ER on 7 hits through 4+ innings. The other 5 runs came over the next couple innings by the 2 previously mentioned pitchers. Lueke was brought in and gave 3 scoreless innings to finish the game.

At the top of our order, Ichiro and Guttierrez combined to go 0-10 Ackley was still solid, going 1-3 with 2 walks. Carp continued his hitting tear, going 2-4 with a walk, now with a 16 game hitting streak and is hitting .331 in 40 games this year, including .420 over the past 12 games! Wells was hot again, with a 2-run HR on the night, the 4th night in a row with a HR! He has a 5 game hitting streak and has hit: .341/.420/.682 since coming over the the M's from Detroit. And the other big on worth noting was Trayvon Robinson who went 2-5 and hit a double and a bases loaded, 2 run single to boot! This was Robinson's 2nd multi-hit game of his short (10 game) career. Also, Olivo did go back-to-back with Wells - this was hit 15th HR of the season.

Comment

• Edgartohof
              • May 2004

So, clearly this season is shot (has been for a while), so wondering if anyone else here is already thinking of next year (or the year after)?

We still have Felix, Pineda and Vargas as a solid core of pitchers. I am happy so far with what I see from Blake Beavan and we can figure out a 5th starter at spring training, maybe pick up someone in a trade.

And we have some young hitters who have a bit of potential. We still have some questions to deal with, like what about Ichiro? Is he done? Does he want to stay? Do we still want him? What about Guttierrez? Guti is still good defensively and as of late has been hitting well. In fact, before his 0-5 showing last night, had been hitting .348 for the month of August, so that gives me some hope at least. Because we really do need a great CF at Safeco. Will Smoak turn it around next year? He still has the potential and is certainly young enough. Ackley looks to be holding the 2B position for the near future (I hope).

Ryan looks to be a decent hole plugger at SS and has been a pleasant surprise there. And he seems to be great for the clubhouse. At 3B, there is Seager who is getting a shot . . . nothing great so far but too early to say for sure. Catcher is wide open. And with nothing seeming to be coming up for us there, looks like Olivo will be there next year. We have Carp and Casper Wells and Robinson who could all be looking for an outfield/DH/1B spot . . .

What do you all think?

Comment

• Stumanji
                • Aug 2006

I think over the next two or three years, we'll see the gradual exclusion of Ichiro from the every day line-up. I think the M's are going to do their best to give him playing time and see to it that he only wears a Mariners jersey in his career. I see him spending 70% of his time in RF next year, then down to 50-60% the following year, with other time spent at DH. I also see him being bumped from lead-off to either 2nd or later in the lineup (8th or 9th) unless he starts hitting more line-drives.

When Ichiro is removed from that top spot, I'd give it to Ackley. He's got a great eye, a good line-drive swing, and decent speed. I see him as a Sizemore like lead-off, one that will knock out 15-20 HRs.

Carp is definitely crushing the ball and his bat has earned him an everyday start. Smoak, though, shouldn't be counted out yet. This is his FIRST full season in the bigs. I like them both. Carp can play OF and 1B, Smoak can share time at DH with Ichiro and play 1B. Robinson, Wells, Gutierrez, Carp and Ichiro make a loaded outfield so people will suffer in PT. I don't expect Wells to hit .340 so I can't chalk him into "everyday" just yet. Guti I think has the biggest chance at being removed from his starting job (aside from Ichiro). Unless we can teach Wells or Robinson to field groundballs at the hot corner.

I like Ryan at shortstop. I like his energy and love the glove. He was the M's hottest hitter for a stretch this year and was one of the few that didn't look like they were giving up (Figgins!). I think he's earned that position.

Catcher and 3B are my biggest question marks.

Comment

• dominik
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Stumanji View Post
                  I think over the next two or three years, we'll see the gradual exclusion of Ichiro from the every day line-up. I think the M's are going to do their best to give him playing time and see to it that he only wears a Mariners jersey in his career. I see him spending 70% of his time in RF next year, then down to 50-60% the following year, with other time spent at DH. I also see him being bumped from lead-off to either 2nd or later in the lineup (8th or 9th) unless he starts hitting more line-drives.
                  When Ichiro is removed from that top spot, I'd give it to Ackley. He's got a great eye, a good line-drive swing, and decent speed. I see him as a Sizemore like lead-off, one that will knock out 15-20 HRs.

Carp is definitely crushing the ball and his bat has earned him an everyday start. Smoak, though, shouldn't be counted out yet. This is his FIRST full season in the bigs. I like them both. Carp can play OF and 1B, Smoak can share time at DH with Ichiro and play 1B. Robinson, Wells, Gutierrez, Carp and Ichiro make a loaded outfield so people will suffer in PT. I don't expect Wells to hit .340 so I can't chalk him into "everyday" just yet. Guti I think has the biggest chance at being removed from his starting job (aside from Ichiro). Unless we can teach Wells or Robinson to field groundballs at the hot corner.

I like Ryan at shortstop. I like his energy and love the glove. He was the M's hottest hitter for a stretch this year and was one of the few that didn't look like they were giving up (Figgins!). I think he's earned that position.

Catcher and 3B are my biggest question marks.
                  That's not going to happen. If ichiro is not playing in the field every day he will retire or force a trade. He is a very proud to borderline arrogant guy. He will certainly not settle with being a bench player. he has been treated like a prince all his life and certainly won't accept less.

I don't think ichiro will play through a long decline. once he realizes that he is no longer a good player (and you really must be a terrible hitter to not play every day in that mariners lineup) he will retire and not hang on too long. He certainly doesn't want "mercy at bats".

I could even imagine that he won't play much longer. He certainly is deeply dissapointed about himself this season. he will work out like crazy this offseason to at least stabilize himself and if he realizes that he can't make it he will retire. I don't think there is anyone more pissed about such a season than ichiro (who off course will never show that because he is a polite japanese and feelings don't belong into the public in japan). I can't imagine him playing very long as a .260 hitter. maybe he even retires after next season if it doesn't work out better.
                  I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

• Edgartohof
                    • May 2004

Yeah, I agree that we won't see Ichiro sticking around as just a part time player. The second that he feels he can't cut it, he will be out of here on his own accord. But I think too that he will do a lot of work this off season to get back to form. And maybe he will be able to do just that! I would certainly like to see that.

Comment

• Edgartohof
                      • May 2004

M's lost last night 5-1 with Morrow overpowering the Mariner's with 12 SO in 6 innings! The only high point being Carp who extended his hitting streak to 17 games!

Comment

• Stumanji
                        • Aug 2006

In my scenario, Ichiro would still get 600-700 AB's each of the next two seasons - not at all a "part time" or "bench" player. That's full time. 150+ games. I'm just suggesting that he'll be spending less and less time in RF and more time at DH. I don't think he takes a swing as a 40 year old.

Comment

• Edgartohof
                          • May 2004

18 game hitting streak now for Carp!

Comment

• Edgartohof
                            • May 2004

M's lost 8-0 against the Rays. Carp though continues his hitting streak, reachinng 19 games now!

Comment

• Edgartohof
                              • May 2004

M's lost again to the Rays, this time 7-8. Pineda pitched fairly well but Wright fell apart in the 7th inning, giving up 4 runs and only recording 1 out. Guttierrez and Ackley both had 2 hits and scored 1 run apiece (Guti also knocked in a run). Mike Carp also added a hit to give himself a 20 game hitting streak! Casper Wells and Willy Mo Pena each went 2-4 with a HR, 2 runs scored and 2 RBI! Seager also added 2 more hits but to no avail as the pitching was not able to keep the lead.

Wells' HR was his 6th as a Mariner in only 15 games. And the HR by Pena was his first as an M!
                              Last edited by Edgartohof; 08-21-2011, 03:36 PM.

Comment

• Edgartohof
                                • May 2004

Ichiro's hitting streak ends at 13 but the M's win behind the masterful pitching of the King. Felix went all 9 innings, giving up only 1 run on 5 hits and 1 BB, with 9 SO throughout.

This was Felix's 5th CG of the season, which is good enough for 2nd in the league (Shields is 1st with 10 CG).

Both of the Mariner's runs came in the bottom of the 8th inning with 2 outs. Guttierrez and Ackley both got on with singles and that brought Carp to the plate. Scott Downs came in to Replace Haren and immediately gave up a double to CF to Carp! Both Runners scored and that was all we needed. Felix came in and finished the game and ended the game on only 109 pitches! when you are on, you are on!

The only Angels' run came in the 3rd inning on a couple of singles by Trout and Kendrick.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X