• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SABR Brat
    • Dec 2009

Season Thread 2011 Mariners

The Oakland series:

Game #1, April 1st Sea @ Oak 7:05, TV: Root, Radio: KIRO 710, Felix Hernandez vs Trevor Cahill
    Game #2, April 2nd Sea (+165) @ Oak 6:05, TV: Root, Radio: KIRO 710, Jason Vargas vs Brett Anderson
    Game #3, April 3rd Sea (+160) @ Oak 1:05, TV Root, Radio: KIRO 710, Doug Fister vs Gio Gonzalez
    Last edited by SABR Brat; 04-03-2011, 05:02 AM. Reason: edit
    :choke:
  • SABR Brat
    • Dec 2009

M's win the opener !

Comment

• Edgartohof
      • May 2004

This is a repost of something I put in another thread:

Well, the first game of the M's 2011 season is in the books with a Win over the Oakland Athletics!!!

Ichiro did his part at the top of the order, reaching base 4 times (2 hits, 1 walk and once on an error), stole 2 bases, the second as part of a successful double steal with Figgins (something I hope to see a lot this season). He scored the M's first run of the season and later added his first RBI of the season!

The team as a whole did very well tonight, giving many hope for the season ahead. They had a total of 8 hits but added 7 walks as well - it shows greatly that we have some new patient hitters in the middle of our lineup. Ichiro, Bradley, Smoak and Ryan each had a walk and Cust who though hitless, got on base three times via the walk as well!

Langerhans was the sole M's hitter to not reach base by a hit or a walk tonight, also striking out 4 times, half of Cahill's total for the night.

Then we get to the King, the one and only Felix Hernandez! Despite the early high pitch count (38 over the first 2 innings!), he is left in for the complete game win. He threw 108 pitches, 73 for strikes. His only mistake came in the 1st inning when he gave up 2 hits, one a HR. After that, he shut them down for the rest of the game, including striking out the last 2 hitters to end the game!

The game was not perfect, Felix showed some jitters early (which he clearly corrected) and the team could not score runs early, leaving several on base over the first few innings, despite loading the bases on a couple of occassions. But they did not get demoralized; they took their pitches, worked the counts, drew their walks and got the starter out of their early. Then they feasted on the Bullpen, all 5 of them that were put into the game!

This bodes well for the rest of the series as our bullpen is as of yet unworked and unseen while we made the A's show us a handful of what they have to offer (and I liked the results we got from them!).

Comment

• Edgartohof
        • May 2004

And the M's win again! 2-0!!!!

A solid outing to begin the season for Jason Vargas, going 6.2 innings, giving up only 1 run, 5 hits, 1 walk and 6 strikeouts.

Ichiro added 2 hits tonight, enough to tie and then pass Edgar Martinez for most hits in Mariners history, 2248 now. He also added another RBI and scored an insurance run in the 9th inning (after stealing his league leading 3rd base of the early season). The offense was spread pretty well thoughout the lineup, with an RBI from Saunders in the 8 hole and a hit and run from Olivo who came in as a pinch hitter in the 9th!

Milton Bradley seems to be finding his stroke and had 2 hits for his efforts. He went on to Steal 2nd base and later score a run.

All of the Mariners runs came in the 6th inning and later, much like last night where they scored 5 out of 6 in the 6th inning as well.

A good first two games for this team - definitely keeping me excited about this season!

Comment

• SABR Brat
          • Dec 2009

Texas series:

Game #4, April 4th, Sea (+138) @ Tex 5:05, TV: Root, Radio: KIRO 710, Erik Bedard vs Alexi Ogando
          Game #5, April 5th, Sea @ Tex 5:05, TV: Root, Radio: KIRO 710, Michael Pineda vs Derek Holland
          Game #6, April 6th, Sea @ Tex 11:05, TV: Root, Radio: KIRO 710, Felix Hernandez (1-0) vs C.J. Wilson (0-0)
          Last edited by SABR Brat; 04-04-2011, 06:55 AM. Reason: edit

Comment

• leecemark
            • Apr 2004

--Have to like the way the Marineers are making pitchers work so far. Ran up some big pitch counts on both Cahill and Anderson. Been quite a few years since we've had many guys capable of that.

Comment

• Edgartohof
              • May 2004

Originally posted by leecemark View Post
              --Have to like the way the Marineers are making pitchers work so far. Ran up some big pitch counts on both Cahill and Anderson. Been quite a few years since we've had many guys capable of that.
              Yeah. That has been the biggest factor I believe. We have not really touched up the starters yet, we have just gotten their pitch counts up and gotten them out earlier and then went to work on the bullpen.
              We have seen what, 10 of their pitchers in 2 games vs. the 5 they have seen? Their bullpen is getting more work early which also bodes well for us today!

Comment

• Stumanji
                Leads league in optimism.
                • Aug 2006

I like that they turned Cust loose on 3-0 with Bradley in scoring position - really shows that they're going to trust the DH to get the job done. Should help his confidence. I like Cust's patience too - three walks on Opening Day, then working that 3-0 count before getting a high fastball for the single to center.
                Swing and a drive! This one is deep! This one is... over the fence and into the neighbor's yard!

Comment

• SABR Brat
                  • Dec 2009

Cleveland series:

Game #7, April 8th, CLE @ SEA, 7:10, TV: Root, RADIO: KIRO 710, Carlos Carrasco vs Jason Vargas
                  Game #8, April 9th, CLE @ SEA, 6:10, TV: Root, RADIO: KIRO 710, Justin Masterson vs Doug Fister
                  Game #9, April 10th, CLE @ SEA, 1:10, TV: Root, RADIO: KIRO 710, Josh Tomlin vs Erik Bedard

Comment

• NattyBaller
                    • Apr 2009

The Mariners announcers have yet to mention the Josh Lueke rape controversy in the handful of games he has now pitched in - seems like they like to go on tangents discussing notable instances in player's past, I wonder if the M's have explicitly warned them not to bring it up.

Comment

• Edgartohof
                      • May 2004

Originally posted by NattyBaller View Post
                      The Mariners announcers have yet to mention the Josh Lueke rape controversy in the handful of games he has now pitched in - seems like they like to go on tangents discussing notable instances in player's past, I wonder if the M's have explicitly warned them not to bring it up.
                      There was some mention of it last year and some in spring training. I do not think they are going to be bringing it up during the game.

"And Leuke winds up for the 1-0 pitch and throws it in for ball 1. By the way Mike, did you hear about the rape charges that Josh faced a couple years back?"

Not something I really need in the middle of my game.

Comment

• Zito75
                        A's Super Moderator
                        • Jun 2003

I just realized something... I played softball against Tom Wilhelmsen in Tucson a few years ago... Cool to see he made the big club out of Spring Training.

WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

• NattyBaller
                          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Edgartohof View Post
                          There was some mention of it last year and some in spring training. I do not think they are going to be bringing it up during the game.

"And Leuke winds up for the 1-0 pitch and throws it in for ball 1. By the way Mike, did you hear about the rape charges that Josh faced a couple years back?"

Not something I really need in the middle of my game.
                          LOL yeah it's kind of an awkward subject

Comment

• SABR Brat
                            • Dec 2009

Blue Jays Series:

Game #10, Monday 4/11, 7:10 PM TV: ROOT, Radio: 710 KIRO, Jesse Litsch vs Felix Hernandez
                            Game #11, Tuesday 4/12, 7:10 PM TV: ROOT, Radio: 710 KIRO, Ricky Romero vs ichael Pineda
                            Game # 12, Wednesday 4/13, 12:40 PM, TV: ROOT, Radio: 710 KIRO, Kyle Drabek vs Jason Vargas

gameday: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index...rmlb_seamlb_1#
                            Last edited by SABR Brat; 04-11-2011, 05:37 PM. Reason: add #

Comment

• SABR Brat
                              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Zito75 View Post
                              I just realized something... I played softball against Tom Wilhelmsen in Tucson a few years ago... Cool to see he made the big club out of Spring Training.

http://mariners.mlb.com/news/article...=.jsp&c_id=sea
                              Did you burn the stickest of the ickiest with him ?
                              Last edited by SABR Brat; 04-11-2011, 05:35 PM. Reason: ummm

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X