Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Edgartohof
    • May 2004

Well, Pineda has gotten some of that support he needed so far after the M's 3 more in the bottom of the 5th inning!

Comment

• Edgartohof
      • May 2004

2nd Shutout win in a row now for the M's!!!

Pineda picks up his 3rd win of the season after tossing 6 scoreless innings. He only gave up 5 hits and 2 walks along with 5 strikeouts with 97 pitches. He was just on tonight and definitely commanded with his fastball which started at 97 MPH in the first and topped out at 98 MPH in the 6th!

Pauley, Laffey, Wright and league came in to finish out the game and keep the Shutout alive!

Bradley left the game early because of some back issues and was replaced with Saunders who though hitless, garnered a walk and subsequently scored a run. Ichiro was 2-4 tonight, his 8th multiple hit game of the season I believe. Figgins was hitless but with a walk and a run as well. Cust had 2 walks and an RBI and the Hot hitting Adam Kennedy was 2-4 with 2 RBI and a run! The bottom 4 in the order went 3-14 with 2 walks.

So the team continues to get walks and it helped tonight as they had yet another bases loaded walk! How many is that so far this season? They added a total of 7 walks tonight to add to their league leading 81 (88 now).

Noteworthy: Ichiro got his 390th SB of his career! So only 10 away from 400!

A very good showing by the Mariners hitters tonight who fought their way to a 4-0 win. But the story like last night is the starting pitching! I know that this was just his 4th start and all, but there is just too much talent in the kid and there are clearly immediate results to be happy about. The possibility of several years of Felix/Pineda makes me sleep happy!

Pineda now sports a 1.78 ERA over 25 innings spread over 4 starts. He did not work too deep into the game due to a high pitch count but the kid is only 23 years old so as they learned with Felix, you take it slow with him. But depending on how things go, I do not see them using the kid gloves with him as much as they did with Felix (who came up at age 19).

Comment

• SABR Brat
        • Dec 2009

Detroit series:

Game # 24, April 26th, 4:05 SEA @ DET, TV: Root, Radio: KIRO 710, Felix Hernandez vs Phil Coke
        Game # 25, April 27th, 4:05 SEA @ DET, TV: Root, Radio: KIRO 710, Erik Bedard vs Justin Verlander
        Game # 26, April 28th, 10:05 SEA @ DET, TV: Root, Radio: KIRO 710, Michael Pineda vs Brad Penny
        :choke:

Comment

• SABR Brat
          • Dec 2009

sent down:

Carlos Peguero
          Josh Lueke

brought up:

Justin Smoak - from Bereavement
          Dan Cortes - from Tacoma

Comment

• Edgartohof
            • May 2004

Originally posted by Zito75 View Post
            Bedard is 0-4. How long until he's DFA'd or shelved on the DL?
            Well, Bedard is having quite a night for himself. This is just what he and the team needed from him. Before tonight, he had not finished 6 innings, now he is through 7 innings so far and has only 88 pitches! He has also given up only 1 run and currently has the lead and is looking for his first win of the season! The big thing that I have seen is that he has not walked a batter - that has saved a lot of needless baserunners.

Comment

• Edgartohof
              • May 2004

In other news, Smoak has hit HR's in back-to-back games, including a 3-run HR tonight. Last night was his first game back after being on bereavement leave after the death of his father.

Comment

• Edgartohof
                • May 2004

And the Mariner's win it!

Bedard picks up his first win of the season and lowers his ERA top 5.96 (down from 7.71) after a 7 inning, 1 run performance. He only gave up 5 hits with no walks and 3 strikeouts. Wright came in and pitched a scoreless 8th inning and Laffey finished them off in the 9th with another scoreless inning. Detroit was only able to score in the 1st inning before being shut down!

The M's have now won 4 out of their last 6 games, outscoring opponent 25-18. Not amazing but not bad either.

The M's got to Verlander early, scoring an early 3 in the 1st inning off the Justin Smoak HR! They picked up another insurance run in the 5th to go up 4-1 but later piled on 6 more in the top of the 9th to put the game away!

The top 5 in the order did most of the damage, with each of them getting on base at least twice. Ichiro had 2 hits with an RBI and 2 runs. They said he was hitting .385 with RISP coming into the game, so that went up today I am sure. Figgins also had a couple hits and a walks and a SB and a run and an RBI. He is still only hitting .180 on the season but he has slowly been picking it up . . . up from .150 though, so it's not saying much.

Bradley did not have a hit but had a couple walks and scored a couple runs. He also reached base, twice on errors (2 of the 4 put up by the Tigers). Olivo had a 3 hit day while knocking in a run and scored a couple times as well.

The big player of the day of course (aside from Bedard) is none other than Justin Smoak. After his 1st inning 3-run HR, he collected another couple RBI off a single in the 9th inning to score Figgins and Bradley. He had 5 RBI for the night along with a pair of hits and a pair of runs. He is now hitting .302 on the season with 4 HR and 14 RBI. He is the 2nd Mariners hitter to be batting over .300 this season, right behind Ichiro. He definitely seems to be developing into the hitter we all hoped he could be. I'll be honest, I was not his biggest fan but seeing him day after day, I am real excited for him. I hope he will be part of the group of young good players that the Mariner's are starting to accumulate.

Now, if we can just get Ackley up here and acclimated to the Majors, we definitely will have a solid core to work with for the future. Ackley, Smoak, Felix, Pineda!!!

Then we have the bottom of the order, beginning with Cust. I am already done with him. He was 1-5 tonight and struck out 4 times! He is hitting .177 through the first 25 games and has collected only 13 hits. Yes, he has 16 walks, but we did not bring him here to take just walks. He was supposed to be the Power in the middle of the lineup yet what power have we seen from him. He has only 2 doubles and has yet to hit a HR this season! Let's just drop him while we still have time to pick up the pieces. Are you telling me that there is no one in the Minors (Peguero?) who could come up here and hit at least .180? I would rather see a young guy with potential struggling but getting his chance rather than a guy who clearly does not have it any more.

The bottom 3, including Kennedy, Ryan and Saunders combined for a 1-13 with a walk.

Comment

• Edgartohof
                  • May 2004

I was just looking at Smoak's gamelog for this season and realized that he has hit a HR in his last 3 games played! Of course, there was a week between the 1st and 2nd HR's but still, that is 3 in three. He is hitting .346/.452/.808 his last 8 games with 9 hits, 4 of them HR, 5 walks and 10 RBI! Keep it up Justin Smoak!

Comment

• Edgartohof
                    • May 2004

0And the M's sweep the Detroit Tigers! They win the game 7-2 after another great start by Pineda and a fine offensive showing by the M's hitters.

Pineda goes 6 innings while only giving up 2 runs. He only had 4 hits and 3 walks but had a career high 9 SO's! His ERA is sitting pretty at 2.01 right now. Not a bad start to his career as he now sports a 4-1 record!

Pauley was brought in for the 6th and 7th which were scoreless and Wright came in to finish out the 9th.

Ichiro extended his hitting streak to 6 games with another 2 hit performance along with an RBI double. Figgins also had 2 hits and an RBI and raised his BA up to .191. Still a long ways to go to get to respectable but he is headed in the right direction at the moment.

Olivo had a big day with a HR and scoring 2 runs. Smoak also added an RBI double to the mix. Only Bradley and Ryan came away with no hits. Ryan came in to relieve Wilson who I guess had some eye issues? Something stuck in his eye?

Olivo has had 7 hits in his last 3 games, good enough to raise his BA from .164 to .230.

Luckily, Smoak, after his 4 SO performance last night was benched in favor of Kennedy who was the DH today. He did a respectable job, going 1-3 with a walk and a run scored and guess what, no SO!

So the Mariner's offense has been quite good this series, with the big difference being the hitting with RISP. The Mariners scored 24 runs in their last 3 games, all wins.

Justin Smoak now has an 11 game on base streak to go with hit 6 game hit streak.

All in all, I am happy for the win and the sweep! Hoping they can keep it up when they head to Boston!
                    Last edited by Edgartohof; 04-28-2011, 02:15 PM.

Comment

• Edgartohof
                      • May 2004

Hey Seattle, with the win today and the Rangers Losing, we are only like 4.5 games behind. I'm not kidding myself into thinking we could win the division, but it would be nice to stay close for as long as possible.

Comment

• SABR Brat
                        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Edgartohof View Post
                        Hey Seattle, with the win today and the Rangers Losing, we are only like 4.5 games behind. I'm not kidding myself into thinking we could win the division, but it would be nice to stay close for as long as possible.
                        Game # 27, April 29th, 4:10 SEA @ BOS, TV: Root, Radio: KIRO 710, Jason Vargas vs Daisuke Matsuzaka
                        Game # 28 April 30th, 4:10 SEA @ BOS, TV: Root & MLB Network, Radio: KIRO 710, Doug Fister vs John Lackey
                        Game # 29th May 1st, 10:35 SEA @ BOS, TV: Root, Radio: KIRO 710, Felix Hernandez vs Clay Buchholz

Seattle is guaranteed a five hundred road trip

Comment

• Edgartohof
                          • May 2004

Originally posted by SABR Brat View Post
                          Seattle is guaranteed a five hundred road trip
                          And with Felix pitching at the end, we could even come away 4-6!

Comment

• Edgartohof
                            • May 2004

4 in a row! I know I shouldn't be THIS excited over this but I am!

The Mariner's beat the Red Sox 5-4 for their 4th consecutive win of the season.

Ichiro and Figgins each had 2 hits and 2 runs each. Bradley was 0-5 (with 2 SO). Olivo, Smoak and Cust each added a hit and an RBI (2 for Smoak). The bottom 4 all went hitless, though Saunders had 2 walks.

Figgins is now hitting .204, having hit .412 the last 4 games.

The Mariner's now hold a 12-15 record, having won 6 of the last 8!
                            Last edited by Edgartohof; 04-29-2011, 07:40 PM.

Comment

• Edgartohof
                              • May 2004

5 in a row!

The Mariner's take game 2 from Boston, assuring their second series win in a row. They won 2-0 and Fister improves his record to 2-3 and loweres his ERA to 2.70 (from 3.19). He has now only given up 3 runs in his last 3 games combined!

Ichiro and Figgins each had 2 hits (Ichiro also added 2 BB's and 2SB's) and Ichiro scored 1 of the 2 runs for the M's. Cust also had a hit and 2 walks and scored the 2nd of the Mariner's runs. Not the best offensive showing by this lineup but the pitching was outstanding. Fister pitched 5 2/3 scoreless innings and Pauley came in for 2 1/3 frames, giving up only 1 hit and 1 BB; his ERA now sits at 1.80. Brandon League came in and completed his 7th Save of the season and the M's came away with another great victory!

Comment

• Edgartohof
                                • May 2004

Figgins had another 2 hit night, his 4th in a row, all apart of his current 5 game hit streak. He has raised his BA to .214 over the past 12 games, up from .143 on April 18th. He is hitting .409 the past 5 games. Hoping he keeps it up.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X