Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Defending World Series Champion San Francisco Giants 2011 Season thread

Defending World Series Champion San Francisco Giants 2011 Season thread

I thought we ought to have a single thread to discuss the season as it unfolds.

Timmy was awesome today. That's two great outings this season with one er. His era is now 0.64. And when your 3-4-5 hitters all get three hits, you are going to win a lot of games. Panda now hitting .400 on the season, which doesn't mean much as he started out fast last year until I jinxed him in May. Anyway, nice win over a good pitcher.
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

This is a good idea, as long as the season continues to unfold and doesn't fold up... I know, it's premature, but I'm a tad uneasy about the hitting, two games notwithstanding. Pitching has been fine to great, with The Runzler Exception as well as Brian Wilson's First Guitar Solo, Lincecum looks great, Cain is still my choice for CYA, but gosh, they need to do tonight redux a number of times at the plate. And Sandoval had 3 hits and an RBI, but I followed it a little on GameCast (ESPN), he was swinging at pitches with only a passing acquaintance of the strike zone. I realise that it's not perfect technology, but it's not far off, and we all know that Sandoval is channeling Manny Sanguillen, just hope he can continue to justify the 5-hole. What happened to Burrell tonight (a K and 2 DPs, I think, and he got pulled)- he doesn't really look right.

Enough worry-warting, Lincecum was great, the middle order did its job, we won by four. Oh yeah, and we're not the Red Sox. So, we've got that going for us. Which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirmudgeon View Post
    but I'm a tad uneasy about the hitting,
    Really? We have a very deep lineup. Come on, just look at the # 7 and 8 hitters. We don't have any superstars, but do have a BUNCH of quality MLB hitters top to bottom. I'm more worried about D.

We can afford one or two players being off their hitting at any one time as the line up is that deep, but because the line-up is not superstarred, we need some defense to back up the pitching, and that's looking like it could be a problem. Let's not ignore all those defensive miscues that never show up in the boxscore either.

I think Ross returning will help with the D, but that wont impact Tejada unfotunately. If Tejada's hitting 8th, we can get Burris' to do that and at least he'd field the ball and not throw it into the stands.

BTW, I was real pleased to see Buster break out today. He was clearly pressing and you had to know that his failures the day before had to wear on him. So three hits including a dinger had to feel great to him.
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

OK, I'll buy the "any given ballgame" hitters, it would be nicer to see it more often than twice in six games. I agree that the lineup looks deep, but Tejada is beginning to, well, he needs his PowerScooter to be turbocharged. I'm holding out till mid-May with him, but not much after. Yeah, defense is going to be an issue, I hate that w/a great staff, it has to just infuriate them. Posey and Huff (and Sanguillendoval) all hitting at once, we win 90% of those games.

I'm still picking the G'ints to repeat. Boy howdy, I didn't really think that could happen, that I'd ever be able to say that. Rather a spiffy feeling.

I'm still picking the G'ints to repeat. Boy howdy, I didn't really think that could happen, that I'd ever be able to say that. Rather a spiffy feeling.
    Ain't that the truth! Say it! And say it again!

Sure is nice no longer being able to utter the following phrase: "wonder if they will win one in my lifetime". HA!

Quote Originally Posted by CandlestickBum View Post
    Ain't that the truth! Say it! And say it again!

Sure is nice no longer being able to utter the following phrase: "wonder if they will win one in my lifetime". HA!
    It's the bee's knees. Everlastingly gobstopper delightful. Weather's warm, beer's cold, fish're hungry.

It's the bee's knees. Everlastingly gobstopper delightful. Weather's warm, beer's cold, fish're hungry.
    I was good with "rather spiffy" actually. :-D

Don't make me pull out my archaic usage now! I'm warning you, I've got old slang and aint afraid to use 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by CandlestickBum View Post
    I was good with "rather spiffy" actually. :-D

Don't make me pull out my archaic usage now! I'm warning you, I've got old slang and aint afraid to use 'em!
    You did say lather/rinse/repeat. I just pulled a troika (archaic, derivative, made up). Always an issue, controlling that third horse.

You did say lather/rinse/repeat. I just pulled a troika (archaic, derivative, made up). Always an issue, controlling that third horse.
    Ah, wondered where that Wonka-ism came from, just as I suspected, it came from left field.

What's with the handle anyway? You a curmudgeon of noble birth?

Yikes, what a victory today. Panda with three more hits to now bat .440 <knocking wood> and Rowand almost hits it out to win the game in the 12th. MORE TORTURE!!

It walks, it runs, it hits in the clutch... it's Aaron Rowand's Statue, and It's Alive! In related news, the G'ints rookie 1B has the exact same line to this point in the season as his somewhat more-accomplished Cardinal counterpart, Albert something or other. Too bad it's .179/1/4, but still...
    Last edited by Sirmudgeon; 04-08-2011 at 06:26 PM. Reason: bad stat

Tejada's PowerScooter apparently got that turbocharger option in place.

game 6

what a blast!
    back-to-back "are you kidding me?" games!
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

How bizarre that Miggy's hit was almost the same place Rowand's was the night before.

Affeldt and Carroll's speeches before tonight's game were both excellent. Kudos to the both of them.

One of the issues I have living in SoCal is that I have to put up with the Dodger Broadcasts. It's not Vin so much, he's still good but no where as good as he used to be. But the pre and postgame shows which feature Steve Lyons and Eric Karros. Tonight Karros was going on and on about the last game of the 1993 season, calling it one of his favorite moments of his career. I understand that these broadcasts are tailored for Dodger fans, but boy that hurt to watch him gloating.

I'd feel a whole heck of a lot better if Timmy went out and dominated the Bums tonight!

^
    i went down for the finale series of 1993.
    as good as i felt friday and saturday, that's how bad i felt on sunday.

i wish that the giants won #162 and subsequently beaten the braves in the do-or-die game scheduled at the 'stick the following night.
    i also wish that i had lyons' job, just so i could every now and then say something like "man, that 1993 season is one of my all-time favorite baseball memories, eric. why do you think your dodgers could not come up as spoilers in your own ballpark?"
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

I just realized that it's been 23 years (almost a quarter century!) since the Bums last won a World Series.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    I just realized that it's been 23 years (almost a quarter century!) since the Bums last won a World Series.
    Funny how Karros or Lyons don't talk about that very much. they have talked about the fact that the Bums have 5 WS titles and we have only one since moving west, all I say to that is 'what have you done lately?'

Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Funny how Karros or Lyons don't talk about that very much. they have talked about the fact that the Bums have 5 WS titles and we have only one since moving west, all I say to that is 'what have you done lately?'
    Karros doesn't have much to brag about. Four of the five LA Dodger World Series titles happened before he was born.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Eric Karros should have stuck to dating Belinda Carlisle. Maybe he gave Matt Kemp some pointers in re Rihanna, that's why Kemp is tearing it up?

Big game tonight, good win last night though too bad Lincecum didn't get the W, he pitched well enough if not terrific. I'm very interested in how we hit this eventide, I see it as an early indicator game, for some abstruse reason.

Don't know quite why, nothing really stuck out tonight, but even at .500, I think the season just took a turn for the much, much better. Maybe I'll buy a lotto ticket...

Gotta love Pablo hitting a right handed HR and Fontenot almost splashing one. And Weezy blowing them out again in the 9th. And Belt getting two hits too...

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast