Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Defending World Series Champion San Francisco Giants 2011 Season thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sirmudgeon View Post
    Need some hitters to step up... who will it be? My money is on Sanchez and Posey. Anyone would be good, those two seem best equipped. Thoughts?
    Those are the likely candidates, but for us to win long term Huff needs to find his stroke too.
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Those are the likely candidates, but for us to win long term Huff needs to find his stroke too.
    You, sir, are prescient. Now, about those lotto numbers...

Need some hitters to step up... who will it be? My money is on Sanchez and Posey. Anyone would be good, those two seem best equipped. Thoughts?
    Were you thinking of Sanchez getting a two bagger?

Jonathan is hitting over .200.

Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    I'm somewhat shocked how much Posey is struggling with the bat so far this season.
    Seems to be mental, like he's overthinking his game. His main approach seems to be to hit in a zone; up and in, down and out, one of the 4 quadrants, because how many fat, down the pipe pitches have we seen him look at, not just this year either.

Does he seem to be a better hitter when he's behind the count and reacting to pitches maybe?

Anyway, look forward to him working his way out of this. It is taking him some time isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by CandlestickBum View Post
    Were you thinking of Sanchez getting a two bagger?

Jonathan is hitting over .200.
    Next up, Matt Cain, HR threat. Ryan Vogelsong of the Mighty Triple To The Gap. Madison Bumgarner, boy can he beat out those infield hits. And of course Lincecum, always a chance to order up three doubles at the plate...

Well, Cainer completes the sweep today with 7.2 very effective innings. Huff-Daddy gets another key hit, and Nate the Great had an awesome day, 3-4, an rbi and an outstanding play in RF turning a sure double into an out with a great throw.

Team seems to be finding itself. And here's hoping Buster isn't too beat up after getting hit by those two fouls
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

We're #1 ! We're #1 !

WHOOOO-HOOOOO!

Bumgarner sure seems to be pitching in some bad luck this year. He hasn't been great, but he hasn't been all that bad, his ERA is only 4.25 or something, and he's 0-6. He deserves better, like a game where he goes to the mound in the first with a six-run lead and all his teammates cheering him on.

Hokey Smokes, the Giants made it interesting in the 9th before winning. Madbum was DEALIN' tonight, ending up going 8.2 great innings. B Weezy was once again not sharp but was helped out by an outstanding catch in RF by Schierholtz. Steve Lyons criticised the Giants for playing the OF shallow on Carroll....heh heh, how'd that work out Psycho?

I'm thinking the Giants have a pretty good manager. As I go back over this season so far and last season, great pitching, timely hitting by unlikely candidates, decent defense (positioning has played a role), all orchestrated in a masterful fashion. The guy's done a terrific job with what he's had to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Hokey Smokes, the Giants made it interesting in the 9th before winning. Madbum was DEALIN' tonight, ending up going 8.2 great innings. B Weezy was once again not sharp but was helped out by an outstanding catch in RF by Schierholtz. Steve Lyons criticised the Giants for playing the OF shallow on Carroll....heh heh, how'd that work out Psycho?
    Madbum sure has an easy delivery don't he? Almost looks like he's playing catch. He's no Don Robinson or Rick Reuschel, but he makes it look smooth and easy.

Henry, our sound feed up here made it sound like like Giants fans were louder than Dog fans in those little sing-a-longs. How'd it sound down there? God that's gotta burn the die-hards up, to have Giants fans come in as loud or louder in their own stadium. McCourts really have something coming to them for their crimes against the team.

Quote Originally Posted by CandlestickBum View Post
    This looks like an old Beach Boys or Beatles album cover. Great stuff.

I just watched the best pitching performance I've seen since Maddux in his heyday. Lincecum didn't have his usual unhittable stuff, only 5 K's, only 3 hits though, no walks, CG, ShO. The A's never came close to threatening. That was impressive in the extreme. Very few pitchers could do that- Halladay comes to mind of course- on a regular basis, Lincecum has had quite a few stints like this, hope he can keep it up.

I just watched the best pitching performance I've seen since Maddux in his heyday. Lincecum didn't have his usual unhittable stuff, only 5 K's, only 3 hits though, no walks, CG, ShO. The A's never came close to threatening. That was impressive in the extreme. Very few pitchers could do that- Halladay comes to mind of course- on a regular basis, Lincecum has had quite a few stints like this, hope he can keep it up.
    6 K's, actually, and two of those were in the 9th, but yeah, he was dealing and it just goes to show you don't always need the strikeout.
    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010 and 2012

Fire Bam Bam! Hire The Thrill!!

the big men break out the broom, taking yet ANOTHER one-run game (always the sign of a solid ballclub.)
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

rtgf: 6 K's, actually, and two of those were in the 9th...

lincecum humped it up to mid-nineties for both k.
    yet another dominant performance.
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Quote Originally Posted by west coast orange and black View Post
    the big men break out the broom, taking yet ANOTHER one-run game (always the sign of a solid ballclub.)
    Suprisingly they were "only" 28-24 in them last year. Seems like 50 of their wins will be that way this year don't it?

^
    absolutely.
    the giants rank near the bottom of the league in runs scored.
    they might even have given up more than they have pushed across the dish.

of their most recent 13 wins at home, 10 have been one-run wins.

through the first 45 games last year they had scored 182 runs and were 23-22.
    this season: 158 runs, but sporting a smile-inducing 26-19.
    Last edited by west coast orange and black; 05-22-2011 at 06:57 PM.

the giants went 5-1 against the hated dodgers and a's, who featured kershaw and billingsley, cahill, anderson and gonzalez.
    next up, the marlins, including nolasco (3-0, 3.32) and sanchez (3-1, 2.90).
    good stuff.

The Giants record and the standings make you wonder, with the relatively sub-par competition this year in the NL West, where SF would be with a couple of guys hitting the ball on a consistent basis. Lincecum has what, four losses already, and his ERA is just above two? Yes, the Phils have been good, I think the Giants would have as good or better a record with one or two of their hitters. I mean, I like Torres and Huff and yes, even Tejada a little, but I'd sure take Victorino/Howard/Rollins in a heartbeat. Well, stay close, have a couple of guys heat up, Belt come up and hit a little, pretty good outlook. They are a cardio-challenge to watch, though.

I still have hopes that Cain will have a great and maybe CYA year, yet with the way things have unfolded thus far, I'm seeing a no-hitter this year for Lincecum as perhaps more likely.

So Brandon Crawford, an unremarkable Single A SS, comes up and his first major league hit is a Grand Slam????? I wonder when the last time someone did that? Wags? Bueller? Shades of the Thrill off of Ryan in '86

It's all down hill from there kid!

I believe the last Giant to hit a grand slam in their first game was Bobby Bonds in 1968!
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

http://sfgiants-forum.com/forum/index.php

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast