X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KHenry14
    Gigantes Moderator
    • Feb 2004

Giants just called up Burris to replace the ailing DeRosa. If I'm Tejada, I'm not too happy about that.

Also, looks like the Giants have thrown Belt into the deep end of the pool by playing him exclusively in the OF for the Grizz. Sabes is saying that Belt is needed back soon so he needs to get more comfortable in the OF because that's where he's going to play when he gets back. Burrell and Rowand wont be happy with that I bet.
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

• Sirmudgeon
      • Feb 2005

Considering that Rowand and Burrell have been hitting pretty well, and Huff is dragging though starting to come around, Posey is resting today but has been a bit cold (too much pressure to be The Guy?), Sandoval is continuing to hit, Sanchez is hitting decently, why do the Giants need Belt right now? It would seem that what they need is what everyone was talking about in pre-season, a decent backup to Tejada. As Ishikawa is not getting the PT even in Fresno, is there a trade in the offing for a backup middle infielder who can hit his way out of a brown paper bag? Or is it plug in Burriss, hope DeRosa gets back... but Burriss doesn't hit and DeRosa isn't much of a SS, by all accounts. Don't the Royals have a short tonne of IF prospects in the minors who are better than anything SF has? Might be a win-win, as Ishikawa deserves an everyday chance and the Royals need a bat in the OF.

Comment

• KHenry14
        Gigantes Moderator
        • Feb 2004

How about that...Ryan Vogelsong in his first start in 7(!) years pitches 5.2 of pretty good ball to get the win today. It just shows you that perserverence pays off sometimes.
        “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

• Sirmudgeon
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by KHenry14 View Post
          How about that...Ryan Vogelsong in his first start in 7(!) years pitches 5.2 of pretty good ball to get the win today. It just shows you that perserverence pays off sometimes.
          Plus he has a really cool name. The potential battery of Vogelsong-to-Posey sounds like an anthem from the Summer of Love, and the park isn't all that far from Haight/Ashbury. Time to break out the love beads and bell bottoms, man.

Comment

• Sirmudgeon
            • Feb 2005

Lincecum pitches OK, but no support. Panda's out 4-6 weeks with the Jose Canseco Hammate injury. I think maybe it's time to watch the NBA playoffs or something, that good feeling I had a couple of days ago is dissipating. Drat.

Comment

• CandlestickBum
              2010, Year of the Giant
              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Sirmudgeon View Post
              Lincecum pitches OK, but no support. Panda's out 4-6 weeks with the Jose Canseco Hammate injury. I think maybe it's time to watch the NBA playoffs or something, that good feeling I had a couple of days ago is dissipating. Drat.
              Wow, you went from summer of love to Altamont pretty fast there. But as we're losing the hottest batter and good fielder for so long, maybe that's understandable

Comment

• Sirmudgeon
                • Feb 2005

I know, I know, yet you probably understand, being a lifelong G'ints fan has its bipolar moments. Fingers crossed for Cain today. And yes, I'm still sticking by Cain for CYA, G'ints to repeat. No need to belabour the current negatives, let's look at the positives: really good staff, chance for other guys to step up at the plate, Rowand looks better than he ever has in a Giants uni, Sanchez is looking like he will hit .300 this year, Posey is no fluke, Torres and Sanguillendoval will be back, Belt is getting the ABs on the farm and could be back even more ready to go, Zito won't be out forever and Vogelsong looks good for now, we're not owned by the McCourts, doo dah, doo dah. Couldn't resist that last, actually I feel for the players, tough situation down there.

The sun's out, time to break out the ol' cap w/Croix and soak up the spring.

Comment

• KHenry14
                  Gigantes Moderator
                  • Feb 2004

Originally posted by CandlestickBum View Post
                  Wow, you went from summer of love to Altamont pretty fast there.
                  LOL, I grew up in Livermore, the Altamont Fest brought...uh, undesireables to my hometown!

The thing to remember is that it's just now May, so we have a long way to go.

Sir, it's worse than you think for the McCourts. The press down here is crucifying him daily. Schieffer went to the players and apologized to them for the distraction, tried to reassure them. They'd have been happier had he told them that new ownership is on the way, but that's not happening yet.

Comment

• Sirmudgeon
                    • Feb 2005

Much as I detest the Dodgers, gotta give 'em credit, from Mattingly to Ethier to Kemp to the pitching, they're playing pretty darn well despite all the uncertainty. I even have some sympathy for McCourt, a messy divorce is bad enough, to be excoriated by the media and have your business taken from you by Bud Selig, of all people, it has to be tough sledding right now. I cannot bring myself to exult at another's misfortune, even if it is the Dodgers. I don't know enough about McCourt to know if he deserves what he's getting, like a Donald Sterling would, but I feel for him and wouldn't want to be in his place.

Comment

• CandlestickBum
                      2010, Year of the Giant
                      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Sirmudgeon View Post
                      Much as I detest the Dodgers, gotta give 'em credit, from Mattingly to Ethier to Kemp to the pitching, they're playing pretty darn well despite all the uncertainty. I even have some sympathy for McCourt, a messy divorce is bad enough, to be excoriated by the media and have your business taken from you by Bud Selig, of all people, it has to be tough sledding right now. I cannot bring myself to exult at another's misfortune, even if it is the Dodgers. I don't know enough about McCourt to know if he deserves what he's getting, like a Donald Sterling would, but I feel for him and wouldn't want to be in his place.
                      Huhn? You are writing as if McCourt isn't responsible for these things happening? He's being excoriated by the media for things he has done, and MLB took over the Dodgers for his actions and lies. He's done dug that hole he's in you know.

Comment

• Sirmudgeon
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by CandlestickBum View Post
                        Huhn? You are writing as if McCourt isn't responsible for these things happening? He's being excoriated by the media for things he has done, and MLB took over the Dodgers for his actions and lies. He's done dug that hole he's in you know.
                        No, mate, didn't say he didn't dig his own hole, just admitting that I don't know if he deserves it, as I am not fully informed of the circumstances. Truth be told, nor do I care to be. I just feel rather badly for that whole organization, with the beating of the Giants fan, the McCourt fiasco, it's an ugly mess. Up here in Portland, the local NBA team dug itself a similar mess some years back and became known, with some justification, as the Jail Blazers. At one point, some wag suggested that the team logo be a silhouette of Damon Stoudemire and his 8-foot bong. It wasn't very pretty to watch. In a rather roundabout way, I was noting that whatever the Giants problems might be at current, at least they are on the field and subject to the fortunes of baseball rather than civil/criminal court. And no, I'm not forgetting Bonds, and yes, I think his number ought be retired and displayed at the ballpark, maybe even with an *. That would be somewhat amusing, perhaps even apropos. He deserves both the recognition and the raised eyebrows.

Comment

• KHenry14
                          Gigantes Moderator
                          • Feb 2004

Well, let me fill in a few blanks here, maybe TMI Sir, but I think it might help. The issues really started with the divorce, as certain documents came to light that put Frank and Jamie in a VERY bad light. Specifically, there are documents where Frank and his people talk about how much money they could cut from payroll and other places in order to increase their profits/income. As we find out now, that included the termination of the Dodgers Head of Security. This revelation on top of the Stow beating really makes the McCourts look bad. Add in that Frank ignored a directive from Selig and went and secured a loan from Fox in order to MAKE PAYROLL, and all hell broke loose. Add into that the well know fact that the Dodgers have let security go at the stadium, and Frank has a really deep hole to crawl out of. He's been playing the "It's un-American" card to take his business from him, that's not getting any traction either.

It could get uglier if evidence comes out that the McCourts were gutting the team just so they can buy another house/plane/necklace etc. That's speculation at this point, but if that's the case, Dodger fans will go crazy.

Comment

• Sirmudgeon
                            • Feb 2005

OK, thanks for the clarification, KHenry. Maybe the guy is getting what he deserves, behaving like one more white collar criminal. I didn't know about the security issue either, not that it's anyone's fault other than that of the perpetrator(s). I still don't like seeing that franchise take it on the nose like that. I can't easily bring myself to enjoy another's misfortune; if McCourt and his ilk did indeed behave so atrociously and greedily, he/they deserve the worst, it's just sad for those they drag down with 'em.

By the bye, what does TMI mean? I'm not so up on electronic shorthand.

Comment

• KHenry14
                              Gigantes Moderator
                              • Feb 2004

TMI=Too Much Information

The Dodgers have been the Gold Standard of franchises not only in LA but MLB for over 50 years, so for it to be dragged into the mud has been very hard for Angelinos to take. People complained when FOX owned the team, but it was totally different then, since at least people thought they were trying to win, they just were stupid in the way they went about it. McCourt's situation is far worse. Funny thing though, the team has been more successful on the field since he's bought them. That may be more because he was smart enough to bring Ned Coletti on board, but it's a fact that they have been in the playoffs a lot more over the past few years.

Back to the bad things....Poor Madbum throws a gem and gets undone by lack of support and another poor fielding play by Tejada.

Comment

• Sirmudgeon
                                • Feb 2005

Thanks for the translation, I actually figured it out later, I must remember to pay attention sometimes... you ever have days where you feel a step and a half behind? Maybe I'm like spring here in the Northwest, a little slow on the uptake as of late.

Just saw the box, Bumgarner is having a tough year so far, Tejada needs to start doing something either in the field, at the plate, or on the bases. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, I remember his MVP year in Oakland and the year he knocked in 150 for Baltimore, he was great. I figured he was an upgrade on Uribe and/or Renteria, I guess I'll stick by that for a while more. Plus, he's got that great smile, and that adds points in my opinion. It's kind of like when a player places his cap over his heart for the Anthem, or sings along, I identify more with that player. Personal foible or not, I do, and yes, I pull for a guy who looks happy to be out there, having fun, trying hard, all that.

It is too bad about the Dodgers, it just seems wrong somehow to tarnish that franchise, they've been somewhat emblematic of baseball for a century, good and bad, ups and downs, myth and reality, to be caught up in something so, so... tawdry is very sad.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X