Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Defending World Series Champion San Francisco Giants 2011 Season thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sirmudgeon View Post
    Lincecum gives up one run, and loses 2-1 to Kershaw (even though T.L. got a ND). Th-th-th-that's all, folks. On the plus side, Surkamp, Pill, and Belt give some serious hope for next year, the staff threw really well, Posey will be back, Swingdoval has had a good year, Keppinger hit well, Beltran can still play, Schierholtz had a decent year, there are some good CF prospects, Cabrera may have one more year left, it's a decent lineup:

C Posey/Whiteside
    1B Belt/Huff
    2B Pill/Keppinger
    SS Cabrera/Keppinger
    3B Sandoval/Keppinger/DeRosa
    LF Schierholtz/Ross/DeRosa
    CF Brown/Torres/Ross
    RF Beltran/DeRosa/Ross
    SP Lincecum, Cain, Bumgarner, Vogelsong, Surkamp (Sanchez or Zito)
    RP same group

That team could win it all.

let me add if that is our opening day lineup were looking at a bottom of the division finish...for all that we know about the '11 giants your essentially saying the same lineup will be over 100 runs better...just to get us near league average..we were flattered by how awful the division was this year...with only 1 team mounting a serious challenge ....i dont expect la or col to be that bad next year..esp if la gets new owners and col stays half way healthy...our ship could sink fast my friend..and another point worth making..if we dont make a real attempt to sign some proper players and reassure lincecum of a commitment to get him some run support(and win) ..we could well put him off his feed and have him not want to talk about his contract during the season ...thus ensuring he'll hit the open market ... where we will not be able to compete with huge money

Well, we are riding an 8 game winning streak into the Ravine tonight. Problem is that Kershaw is waiting. I have a feeling that Kershaw and Timmy will be facing each other many times over the next five years or so. If you like great pitching matchups (like me) this is the game for you.

BTW, no coincidence that they've won 8 straight games. They scored 57 runs during that time, which is 7.125 runs per game. With the Giants pitching staff, they will win almost every game that they score that many runs. Obviously since 4 of those games were played in the ridiculous Coors Field, those stats are skewed. But sometimes all a team needs to get it's hitting going is a trip to Coors Field!
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

If the Giants continue to score 7 runs per game I doubt they'll even lose two games the rest of the season! Well IMO the Giants can't even afford to lose 2 games the rest of the season. The best the Giants can do is end up with a 92-70 record. That's not good considering the D-Backs already have 89 wins! Pretty much the Giants have to sweep the D-Backs this weekend.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

I have no illusions about getting to post season. But still, it's nice to see them battle back. too bad it's likely too little, too late.
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    I have no illusions about getting to post season. But still, it's nice to see them battle back. too bad it's likely too little, too late.
    This three game series in LA will determine the Giants fate. The D-Backs could clinch the West before the Giants even get to Arizona.

Go Giants!!
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

I'm getting tired of watching the Giants getting pwned by Clayton Kershaw! Is this turning into Marichal vs Koufax, part II?

Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    I'm getting tired of watching the Giants getting pwned by Clayton Kershaw! Is this turning into Marichal vs Koufax, part II?
    That would be great for the rest of us with no vested interest in the two teams!
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Sheesh, what a way to end the season, thirteen walks in a 9 inning game!!! Ties the franchise record!

Sheesh, what a way to end the season, thirteen walks in a 9 inning game!!! Ties the franchise record!
    Guess they didn't want for it to be this seasons cliche loss? Lots of franchise records tied or busted this year.

Ah well. It was interesting for most of the season anyway.

Here's some dish on why Gary Brown didn't make it to the big club...

http://www.mercurynews.com/giants/ci...433?source=rss

Here's some dish on why Gary Brown didn't make it to the big club...

http://www.mercurynews.com/giants/ci...433?source=rss
    Good article KH. I was hoping it would explain why Brown wasn't prmoted to AA but it made no mention of that.

double post

Well, the season ended with a whimper. This team scored the fewest runs since the 1985 Giants, a team that went 62-100. Those of us who were around then know EXACTLY how bad that team was. The fact that the 2011 Giants posted a winning record despite the lack of support speaks volumes about their pitching staff.
    Last edited by KHenry14; 09-29-2011 at 08:51 AM.

So now Sabean needs to address the offense. I'm not sure he is up to the task. We shall see.

Giants/Sabean's post mortem comments: http://blog.sfgate.com/giants/2011/0...ss-conference/

Interesting notes....

1) they are seriously pissed at Aubrey Huff. Said he was out of shape and lacked focus.
    2) On one hand they say they are interested in Beltran, yet they say Schierholtz is the starting RF. Translation: no way Beltran comes back
    3) H. Sanchez, Crawford, Brown, Surkamp not in the teams' plans for next year. Need more seasoning.
    4) Signing Timmy and BMC top priority
    5) Zito and J. Sanchez to return next season. Why? Nobody knows.

One of the lasting memories of this season will be as "The year of the band wagoner", seeing how many fans came out of the woodwork this season in almost every city, sometimes Giants fans outshouted (is that a word?) the hometown fans. Boy, the Giants must have raked in some moolah on gear sales.

God, that was great. Especially when the chant contests happened in Chavez Ravine. Loved it, absolutely loved it.

Giants/Sabean's post mortem comments: http://blog.sfgate.com/giants/2011/0...ss-conference/

Interesting notes....

1) they are seriously pissed at Aubrey Huff. Said he was out of shape and lacked focus.
    Pretyty some tough love ala Pablo 2010 can get Huff's bat to be ing at least decent in 2012.

2) On one hand they say they are interested in Beltran, yet they say Schierholtz is the starting RF. Translation: no way Beltran comes back
    Hmmm...I think Beltran will cost too much for the Giants anyway.

3) H. Sanchez, Crawford, Brown, Surkamp not in the teams' plans for next year. Need more seasoning.
    Agreed. Though some of these players may be ready by late 2012.

4) Signing Timmy and BMC top priority
    This is mission #1 for the Giants
    5) Zito and J. Sanchez to return next season. Why? Nobody knows.
    Who else would be the #5 starter?

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213