Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Defending World Series Champion San Francisco Giants 2011 Season thread

Finally.....a victory! First time all year the team scored more than 6 runs at home. More importantly, Beltran seems to be coming alive, as is Ross and Torres. Vogy goes to 9-1!!
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

<sigh> another well pitched game goes down for a loss. BMC pitched more than well enough to win, but it wasn't enough against Hamels. Boy do we need to win tomorrow.
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Blog Entries
    The Giants offense is really starting to concern me. I know lots of Giants fans keep saying that the Giants offense last season also struggled so it's ok. But that is simply not true. The 2010 offense was far superior to this season's offense.

Run scored thru 115 games
    2010: 503
    2011: 399

Run Diff thru 115 games
    2010: +83
    2010: -7

The difference is runs scored is massive. And the negative run differential is troubling. Teams with negative run differentials simply don't win division titles. If the Giants don't fix that soon they weill not even make it to the post season.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    The Giants offense is really starting to concern me. I know lots of Giants fans keep saying that the Giants offense last season also struggled so it's ok. But that is simply not true. The 2010 offense was far superior to this season's offense.

Run scored thru 115 games
    2010: 503
    2011: 399

Run Diff thru 115 games
    2010: +83
    2010: -7

The difference is runs scored is massive. And the negative run differential is troubling. Teams with negative run differentials simply don't win division titles. If the Giants don't fix that soon they weill not even make it to the post season.
    You bring up a great point, HWR. I wonder if any team has ever made it to the post-season w/a negative run differential? The NL West should be a relative cakewalk this year, but with this historically-inept offense (only the Mariners have scored less, I believe) it's beyond a concern, it's near-panic. Beltran's hurt, hasn't brought much to date, Swingdoval is the only consistent hitter (I'm not trusting anyone so closely named with Don Kessinger for a while yet), Belt's back in the minors, heck, Carlos Zambrano could hit fourth for the G'ints. Any suggestions?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirmudgeon View Post
    You bring up a great point, HWR. I wonder if any team has ever made it to the post-season w/a negative run differential? The NL West should be a relative cakewalk this year, but with this historically-inept offense (only the Mariners have scored less, I believe) it's beyond a concern, it's near-panic. Beltran's hurt, hasn't brought much to date, Swingdoval is the only consistent hitter (I'm not trusting anyone so closely named with Don Kessinger for a while yet), Belt's back in the minors, heck, Carlos Zambrano could hit fourth for the G'ints. Any suggestions?
    Since 1969 there have been 145 division champions. Of those 145 teams only five were outscored in the regular season. Four of those five teams were bounced out of the playoffs rather easily.

1984 Kansas City Roals (-13) Lost ALCS 3-0
    1987 Minnesota Twins (-20), Won ALCS, 4-1, Won World Series, 4-3
    1997 San Francisco Giants (-9) Lost NLDS 3-0
    2005 San Diego Padres (-42) Lost NLDS 3-0
    2007 Arizona D-Backs (-20) Won NLDS 3-0, lost NLCS 4-0

These five teams were 11-17 in the post season. But almost all of that sucess was by the '87 Twins (8-4 in the post season). The other four teams were 3-13 in the post season including four series sweeps. That does not bode well for the Giants.
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 08-10-2011 at 09:49 AM.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Since 1969 there have been 145 division champions. Of those 145 teams only five were outscored in the regular season. Four of those five teams were bounced out of the playoffs rather easily.

1984 Kansas City Roals (-13) Lost ALCS 3-0
    1987 Minnesota Twins (-20), Won ALCS, 4-1, Won World Series, 4-3
    1997 San Francisco Giants (-9) Lost NLDS 3-0
    2005 San Diego Padres (-42) Lost NLDS 3-0
    2007 Arizona D-Backs (-20) Won NLDS 3-0, lost NLCS 4-0

These five teams were 11-17 in the post season. But alomost all of that sucess was by the '87 Twins (8-4 in the post season). The other four teams were 3-13 in the post season including four series sweeps. That does not bode well for the Giants.
    Wow. Thanks, I think, for the info. Then again, I was probably better off not knowing. Umm, can Swingdoval bat more than once each time through the lineup?

Phillies fight results: Ramirez and Whiteside fines.

That other dude? Three game suspension.

Philly fans gotta be....miffed.
    Last edited by CandlestickBum; 08-08-2011 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Three, not five

Quote Originally Posted by CandlestickBum View Post
    Phillies fight results: Ramirez and Whiteside fines.

That other dude? 5 game suspension.

Philly fans gotta be....miffed.
    I only caught a couple of replays, but it sure looked like a few folks were going to get suspended. Flinging of umpires, tackling of players, general hilarity. Add mud, and it's a western comedy free-for-all. None of it would have happened with Nolan Ryan (hi there, Robin Ventura) or Dave Stewart (Pat Corrales, nice to meet you) on the mound.

One other comment: how does one differentiate a "miffed" Phillies fan from the usual? My only visit to Philadelphia, pretty much everyone was miffed.
    Last edited by Sirmudgeon; 08-08-2011 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Philly addendum

MadBum was outstanding tonight, 7 IP 4H 0ER 1 BB 10K Plus Huff-Daddy goes 3-4 with a double, an HR and 2 rbi. And the kicker is Chris Stewart hitting his first MLB HR. You go Chris!

Out of first, is it wake-up call time?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirmudgeon View Post
    Out of first, is it wake-up call time?
    This is what I posted on a Giants board.

"If the offense doesn't turn it around immediately this team isn't going anywhere. I'd rather the Giants not make the postseason then limp in with 85 wins and get bounced in the NLDS 3-0. I firmly believe this core group of Giants can win another World Series title, just not in 2011. If this core group does win another title it will be with a healthy Buster Posey, and Gary Brown, Brandon Belt and Joe Panik being major contributors."

The Giants simply are not as good as last season. That is just a fact. I'd rather the Giants not make the postseason and really address the hitting problems. If the Giants limp into the post season then lose 3-0 I can see Sabean thinking, "Hey we are not that far off. We just need some minor tweaks." No Sabean the team's offense need a major overhaul and by not making the postseaon there will be more pressure on Sabean to make make major changes. I want that added pressure on him to make those changes.

Thru 118 games
    2010: 67-51 W-L (+84 run diff)
    2011: 64-54 W-L (-13 run diff)
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 08-11-2011 at 10:24 AM.

It's just a strange feeling watching this team....Game after Game you keep thinking, ah, this is the one that breaks them of their hitting slumps. And it never happens...

From where i sit, I don't see how Sabes could do anything more. Maybe Muelens needs to start earning his pay...or just maybe guys need to start earning theirs.

The Giants simply are not as good as last season. That is just a fact.
    I don't believe the 2010 Giants were as good as they played.

YoY comparison by position:
    C Down
    1B Down
    2B Even (now)
    SS Was way down, now just down for power.
    3B Up, Slim is hot hot hot.
    LF (Schierholtz) bit up (discount the mystical Ross time as magic in a bottle) Still down powerwise without Burrell.
    CF Down
    RF Up, assuming Beltran gets back on track.

BP Up
    SP Even, slightly up?

Overall can't disagree all that much with you though. They need to get off the dime. Sandoval's been ripping it up, Keppinger's been on a nice tear and the team is still losing.

No POP this year, that's for sure. Have little reason to believe that Huff or Torres are going to regain last years form so late in the season either.

Have to agree down the line with both HWR and CBum. The starters are, if anything, better, the BP is generally very good. The hitting is putrid. Swingdoval looks quite good, Don Kessinger's Descendant has been hitting of late, Schierholtz is pretty consistent, Beltran has yet to give much ROI though he should- even with all this they have a good shot at the post-season. The NL West is full of teams that are full of holes. At this stage, I think SF is behind Philly, Atlanta, the Brewers, Cards, Reds, about even with the D-Backs and Dodgers in terms of outlook should they continue this level of performance.

On the other hand, a couple of guys start making actual major-league level contact, the G'ints have the most room for improvement, the highest upside, in the league. I'm not sure if this season is the time to bring up the rooks (Belt, Panik, Brown) or if they're better served by next year. Gotta figure there's at least 3 years left on the rotation if not more- what do you all think is the best move for the rest of this year?

(Sighing) good one.

Well, two great starting performances in a row. Timmy was great yesterday, and Vogy was great today. I was interested to see Sabes on The Franchise mention that the unreal part of Vogy's season is the consistancy. And he's 100% right about that. VogelSTRONG is now 10-2 with a 2.47era. Incredible....

BTW, saw this stat in the after game rundown, it's so apropos of the season...

When the Giants score four or more runs, they are 41-6

Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Well, two great starting performances in a row. Timmy was great yesterday, and Vogy was great today. I was interested to see Sabes on The Franchise mention that the unreal part of Vogy's season is the consistancy. And he's 100% right about that. VogelSTRONG is now 10-2 with a 2.47era. Incredible....
    Was really impressed with Vogy, had started to worry cuz he was showing sings of being out of gas, but he seems to have found his second wind.

Boy was he PO'd at being hit. I want to play poker with him, he can't hide his emotions worth a darn, every time he gets angry his nose glows.

Was really impressed with Vogy, had started to worry cuz he was showing sings of being out of gas, but he seems to have found his second wind.

Boy was he PO'd at being hit. I want to play poker with him, he can't hide his emotions worth a darn, every time he gets angry his nose glows.
    "Rudolph" Vogelsong? This is danged funny, I'll have to look for it.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast